Political Compass Off-Topic 2018: I'll show you mine if you show me yours

Jul 12, 2014
Denmark

Would have thought I’d point a little bit more upwards, since I do believe that if handled right the government should be in control of essential things like power, healthcare, public transportation, schools and universities and infrastructure.. or at least regulate those areas along with the economy so everyone has a fair chance..
What I mean is the government in my eyes should be like a referee, that make sure that everyone plays by the rules that are put forth and create an even playing field..

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018
It is a very complicated question. Forcing someone to deliver and raise a kid is also a kind of tyranny and not exactly healthy for the child.

Force women to carry, birth then raise children they don't want/force women into unsafe underground abortions or terminate what you might believe is an unborn life?

I'm pro-abortion, and I frankly think this is a social issue that laws shouldn't touch. If you're against abortion, I think you should work to convince people it's wrong, not force them not to do it.
My rebuttal to this would be to expand the adoption process so that the individual uses adoption over abortion.

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.9

https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpoliticalcompass?ec=6.88&soc=-3.9

I couldn't get the image to insert, I feel pretty dumb. I'm basically in the bottom right box. I felt some of the questions were a little lacking in nuance but I do think that's the right place for me politically. I'm more conservative than not and I generally prefer the government do nothing than something.

Oct 30, 2017
Your image is clearly visible to me. I Would like to know why you're bottom right. So far not a lot of people in this thread are on the right side of things :)
The compass itself is absolutely ridiculous. It's a paradox/oxymoron.

You can't be a leftist libertarian or right wing authoritarian. There are only two sides, you're a either for freedom or totalitarian, the question is which side do lean more to.

Dec 11, 2015

You can't be a leftist libertarian or right wing authoritarian. There are only two sides, you're a either for freedom or totalitarian, the question is which side do lean more to.
You absolutely can be both. It's just the US that doesn't have any mainstream political party in what is actual left wing in the rest of the world. The democrats are centrist at best, and there's a whole lot of empty room to the left of them.

Furthermore, it's a separated axis because authoritarianism and libertarianism can exist on both sides of it. e.g communism is a far left ideology, while fascism is a far right wing ideology, but both are authoritarian.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012

I don't entirely disagree on some levels, but it's pretty common to separate "personal" vs. "economic" liberty. You and I may think they're inextricably tied together to at least a certain extent, but anybody significantly into the bottom left box obviously disagrees.

Mar 5, 2007

What the hell? Both of these are absolutely possible, please explain how they aren't.

Apr 5, 2013

I expected to be libertarian leaning but I guess saying I strongly agree that children should be spanked has tipped me over to being an authoritarian. Clearly whoever wrote these questions was either spanked too hard or not spanked hard enough. You have to get it just right.

Jan 22, 2018
Germany

I expected to be libertarian leaning but I guess saying I strongly agree that children should be spanked has tipped me over to being an authoritarian. Clearly whoever wrote these questions was either spanked too hard or not spanked hard enough. You have to get it just right.
I agreed with spanking and I'm left-libertarian ;]

Oct 30, 2017
What the hell? Both of these are absolutely possible, please explain how they aren't.
You absolutely can be both. It's just the US that doesn't have any mainstream political party in what is actual left wing in the rest of the world. The democrats are centrist at best, and there's a whole lot of empty room to the left of them.

Furthermore, it's a separated axis because authoritarianism and libertarianism can exist on both sides of it. e.g communism is a far left ideology, while fascism is a far right wing ideology, but both are authoritarian.
Please define and/or a list the attributes of a leftist, then do the same for libtertarian, then please demonstrate to me how one can simultaneously hold both views and how they are compatible. I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested.

Jul 12, 2014
Denmark

That’s kind of how the old guard thought.. ain’t that funny😉

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Economic Left/Right: 2.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

I'll be honest, I consider myself apolitical than belonging to any political ideology. I see myself more as a "rationalist". The government should not be the ultimate authority in our lives, but I also believe people and companies have a responsibility to not destroy this planet. I understand however, this presents a "immovable rock meets unstoppable force" scenario. However, I still side with de-powering the government and focusing more on building a society that can sustain itself without outside help or welfare.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Please define and/or a list the attributes of a leftist, then do the same for libtertarian, then please demonstrate to me how one can simultaneously hold both views and how they are compatible. I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested.
Like I said before the compass is using "economic liberty" and "personal liberty" as the two axes. You can disagree and say they're inextricably linked and shouldn't be separated that way, but that's what they're doing. And evidenced by so many people occupying the lower left quadrant, peoples' opinions don't always stay in the "lane" you have proposed (which would stretch from upper left to lower right it sounds like).

Mar 5, 2007
Economic Left/Right: 5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

Probably underestimates my positions a bit because some some of the questions are simply absurd. Like the question on who global trade should benefit, which is a ridiculous question that seems to assume some action on one side or the other no matter how you answer it. The real answer is it benefits who it benefits, and on net society as a whole benefits no matter who benefits most, but there's no real room for nuance when framing these kinds of surveys.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018
Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.08

I don't have much to say about it at the moment, but I may come back to talk about it.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018
I don't think I'm too different from most of you. I'd imagine the main difference is that I trust the government a lot less to "manage" the economy (including green energy, health care, trade, etc etc etc).
For me that question to a great extent comes down to the nature of the specific government, and the nature of the alternative. The degree to which I believe the government to be corrupt or inept weighed against the degree to which I see the alternatives as disastrous or feasible. Giving "government" any power at all is definitely never my ideal, in an ideal world.

Jan 22, 2018
Germany
What I'm wondering: is it ever reasonable and just to be authoritarian?

Being left or right comes down to personal views, understood. However, where from do authoritarians take their entitlement to force others to do how they say?

Not to offend anyone, but isn't being authoritarian simply being an asshole? These are the people censoring japanese games because they're scared of fictional boobs. These are the people telling homosexuals that they mustn't marry. How is that okay?

The more I think about it, the problem aren't politically right-leaning people (spoken from me being leftist). The whole problem in all of society is authoritarians. Have them stop bending others to their will and everybody could simply enjoy their own chosen life. Who cares if someone has racist views, as long as he doesn't enforce his views on others, it's okay. But screw those that want to decide for other people how to live. That's the problem.

Jan 23, 2018
What I'm wondering: is it ever reasonable and just to be authoritarian?

Being left or right comes down to personal views, understood. However, where from do authoritarians take their entitlement to force others to do how they say?

Not to offend anyone, but isn't being authoritarian simply being an asshole? These are the people censoring japanese games because they're scared of fictional boobs. These are the people telling homosexuals that they mustn't marry. How is that okay?

The more I think about it, the problem aren't politically right-leaning people (spoken from me being leftist). The whole problem in all of society is authoritarians. Have them stop bending others to their will and everybody could simply enjoy their own chosen life. Who cares if someone has racist views, as long as he doesn't enforce his views on others, it's okay. But screw those that want to decide for other people how to live. That's the problem.
A lot of good points, but authoritarian leaning doesn't just mean wanting to dictate to others, but also wanting to be dictated to, doesn't it? Not that I see that at all as a good thing either.

Hopefully discussing this doesn't dissuade anyone from posting their results.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2012
UK
theconclave.net
Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.0

8 Values result: -

https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=72.0&d=69.1&g=59.6&s=73.4

Social Liberalism

All I can say to that is

My Alt-Right credentials have gone right out the window now. This is up there with failing the psychopath test for being too empathic....Goddamn it.

With that said I can't say I liked the yes/no nature of the questions. Some 'maybe' options wouldn't have gone amiss. Though I suspect if that was the case I'd of been neutral more often than not, and Zapp Brannigan has something to say about that: -

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2014

Answered a bunch of questions and ended up over here.

I'll be honest, I thought I'd be a little closer to the center. I was pretty neutral about some questions so I might answer differently on another day and slightly end up somewhere else

Feb 23, 2014

About what I expected ( I consider myself a left leaning moderate), but there were question that I was either neutral on (which there was no option for), or needed more clarification on what exactly they meant, which made answering some of the question maybe less accurate than I'd like.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
8values.github.io

Interesting, I quite like this site more if only because some of the questions, despite being similar, are a bit more clear. I guess I have to face it, I'm an authoritarian now and what I thought of as my libertarian tilt is me basically being pro free market. I can't help it if I believe in law and order too much. I blame Lennie Briscoe and Jack McCoy.

Apr 13, 2016

The Bernie Bros on OldGAF would die if they knew just how honest I was being when I told them that I agree with their politics but I just think their methodology is stupid + that they're assholes.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
I liked the 8 values test a lot more, if for no other reason as it let me select neutral on the questions. My results are actually quite different from the political compass I got, too and are more aligned to what I thought I would fall under as a classification:

31.7% equality vs 68.3% markets
52.1% nation vs 47.9% world
67.7% liberty vs 32.3% authority
32.6% tradition vs 67.4% progress

Closest Match: Classical Liberalism

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I did the 8values test just for fun and the results are still consistent with the first compass test I did.

My only surprise, is progressive. Is it because I support science and individual values like same-sex marriage, but I rather small businesses enforce it than the government?

Last edited:

SPE

Mar 30, 2007
Economic Left/Right: 5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

Probably underestimates my positions a bit because some some of the questions are simply absurd. Like the question on who global trade should benefit, which is a ridiculous question that seems to assume some action on one side or the other no matter how you answer it. The real answer is it benefits who it benefits, and on net society as a whole benefits no matter who benefits most, but there's no real room for nuance when framing these kinds of surveys.
You’re misinterpreting the question.

It’s asking who should primarily benefit from globalisation. Multinationals or people.

Depending on who primary benefits (or suffers) from an economic policy comes down to the ideology behind it and how it’s implemented. Globalisation didn’t just happen. It grew over time with trade deals and the move away from the ideology of protectionism. Trade deals can be geared to businesses or the people, to specific industries or many, or for leverage for other political aims.

The question isn’t asking if globalisation is good or bad. It’s not asking if it is a net benefit to humanity or not. It’s specifying worded to see how you fall on the economic axis. Do you primarily favour business and the global free market, or the welfare of the people of the world.

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
I tried to do the 8values test, but the first one distracted me and made me reflect, though I leaned on "disagree".

"Oppression by corporations is more of a concern than oppression by governments."

Oppression by corporations generally happen by compliance by the government or the people. Even a big mega corporation would have trouble in terms of exercising oppression, without functionally becoming a government itself - by which point the comparison makes little sense. If anything the biggest danger would always be the government in terms of capabilities for oppression, on the individual and on private enterprise, but especially both together being the more pressing concern.

Any perspectives on this? Because I'm suddenly leaning on "strongly disagree".