• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLITICO: Full transcript of Trump’s Wall Street Journal interview from July 25th

RoKKeR

Guys, you're not gonna believe this!

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Trump lied about the BOY SCOUTS. A senior Scouts source says there was no call at all, let alone a call telling him his speech was the best.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

To repeat: the Boy Scouts say this call, described in detail by the president of the United States, did not happen.

Oh how shocking.

Brashnir

This is the second time I've seen him claim to have received a 5 minute standing ovation, the first time being his speech to the CIA on his second day in office.

That's such an absurdly long time for a standing ovation.

I've seen exactly one 5+ minute standing ovation in my 42+ year life, and it was for Cal Ripken breaking the consecutive games played streak of 2130. A record which was known about years in advance, and took 14 years to complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCqNPPBkB4

It was such a big deal that both the President and Vice President were at the game, something which is extremely rare for security reasons.

22 minutes, 15 seconds.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Your president is really taking notes from the "Book of Exaggeration" written by Kim Jong-Il

I'll bet that Trump also made 10+ hole in ones the first time he ever played golf..

Mobius 1

This is incredible. We have a president clearly, unequivocally suffering from mental issues and everyone acts as if nothing is wrong.

Nothing he says makes sense, he just regurgitates the question with some odd opinions mixed in. And let's not even talk of the pathological narcissism. He probably believes in his own lies too.

Fuck. We went from a master orator to this demented imbecile.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I love how he keeps going after Sessions despite claiming there's absolutely nothing to the Russia allegations.

commedieu

Banned
The entire American population is fighting a rapidly spreading disease. This disease comes in the forms of hatred, racism and bigotry.

I don't know what can be done to stop it. I feel like we are losing more and more every day since the election results.

I'd once believed that when the older generations died off, they'd carry their outdated views and beliefs to the grave.

I'm now starting to see that they are very skilled at infecting their own offspring and their offspring's offspring with their rotteness and evil.

I'd once believed that the internet would help enlighten people to the truth.. that the power of hundreds of thousands and millions of good willed, well educated people would always overwhelm the corrupt ones, as well as the liars and manipulators. How naive was I? The internet was probably the most successful tool at convincing half of this nation to put someone evil into a seat of power.

Yeah Yeah yeah.

Just don't block my traffic on the way to work for your "revolution."

Nokterian

I don't know if i'm having a migraine or it is just so tough to read what this old man is rambling. I can't believe that this man is the 45th..stupidity is beyond something i never witness to see in this decade.

Maengun1

WSJ: You mentioned the Iran deal, but it’s been certified as in compliance twice now. It comes up again in September. Would you – is there going to come a point where you just

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well, we’re doing major studies. Oh, I would be very surprised if they will be – look, we’ve been extremely nice to them. We’ve been extremely nice to them in saying they were compliant, OK? We’ve given them the benefit of every doubt. But we’re doing very detailed studies. And personally, I have great respect for my people. If it was up to me, I would have had them noncompliant 180 days ago.

WSJ: Do you expect them to be declared noncompliant the next time?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Personally, I do. I do.

WSJ: In September?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I think they’ll be noncompliant. I think they’re taking advantage of this country. They’ve taken advantage of a president, named Barack Obama, who didn’t know what the hell he was doing. And I do not expect that they will be compliant.

WSJ: Will you overrule your staff on that, if they come back with a recommendation –

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Oh, sure. Sure. Look, I have a lot of respect for Rex and his people, good relationship. It’s easier to say they comply. It’s a lot easier. But it’s the wrong thing. They don’t comply. And so we’ll see what happens. I mean, we’ll talk about this subject in 90 days. But, yeah, I would be – I would be surprised if they were in compliance.

I didn't think it was possible for me to hate a person as much as I hate this man.

437.gif

Codeblue

Trump transcripts are like those old CBOAT threads. Like, I could make sense of them if I really wanted to put the effort in, but I'd rather wait for someone to decrypt them for me.

Rymuth

So even his wife repeats herself. I guess it was bound to rub off on her.

I mean, yezus, this man's syntax is atrocious

Darkgran

Everyone should be absolutely terrified at this. It's time to stop laughing at this man and do everything we can to get him out of office. He is going to destroy everything.

Yeah Yeah yeah.

Just don't block my traffic on the way to work for your "revolution."

Actually, I truly wonder how many people who are only now reflecting on how truly broken the US is thanks to Trump are the same people who spent years on years denying the experiences and oppression of disenfranchised and even angrily chided them for taking a stand for their own lives. So many minorities for centuries have been trying to make the true face of America known. They've fought, suffered and died for it and now that the US is reflected in Trump, it's clear how much their efforts mattered yet a bigger majority were more interested in apathy and complacency with the status quo to join them in trying to repair a broken nation.

JABEE

I just imagine Trump calling up world leaders asking them to check their census statistics. He is a buffoon.

Once again, I feel a little bit dumber every time I read one of these transcripts.

Former Scouts and Scout leaders were very pissed about the speech after the fact.
Sorry, that was meant to be a joke but the way the quote came out made it a bit rubbish.

digdug2k

The entire American population is fighting a rapidly spreading disease. This disease comes in the forms of hatred, racism and bigotry.

I don't know what can be done to stop it. I feel like we are losing more and more every day since the election results.

I'd once believed that when the older generations died off, they'd carry their outdated views and beliefs to the grave.

I'm now starting to see that they are very skilled at infecting their own offspring and their offspring's offspring with their rotteness and evil.

I'd once believed that the internet would help enlighten people to the truth.. that the power of hundreds of thousands and millions of good willed, well educated people would always overwhelm the corrupt ones, as well as the liars and manipulators. How naive was I? The internet was probably the most successful tool at convincing half of this nation to put someone evil into a seat of power.
Heh. I used to think that about the internet too. Today I saw a facebook post about General Mattis ordering soldiers to undergo less "non-work-related" training or something. Headline "Liberals are outraged about this" I was curious if it was even true so searched for a Mattis quote. Every single search result was just conservative rag sites. Like, not even the big ones. The lowest of the low shit. Guys who have nothing more than Facebook pages. Most of them just copy-pasting the story from somewhere else. Sites you'd think would be lucky to have 10 visitors a month, getting millions through social media.

The power of telling people whatever the fuck they want to hear is just baffling to me (and for the GOP, apparently the driving thing they want to hear right now is just that they're making "liberals outraged").

What in the flying fuck? Soldiers need to be taught to respond to questions this way under torture techniques.

Where is are your orders!?!

we have a very good plan. That’s the one thing, we really have a good plan. We’ve covered a lot of territory. It’s a very, very difficult situation because you move a little bit to the left and you lose four guys, you move a little bit to the right all of a sudden you have a bloc of people that are gone. You have about a one-inch road and it wheels through the middle of the valley, and if it’s even slightly off – it’s a very difficult – it’s a very difficult thing, always has been.

What was happening during the battle!?!

I mean, honestly, they – the ads were coming at me. Hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of negative ads. And when people went into the voter booth, they didn’t know what she stood for. I always said that. I said if I can take this onslaught personally, it’s going to be a great thing because nobody knew what she stood for. So now they’re trying to change their message a little bit, you know. I mean, it’s – it’s one of those things, but now they’re trying to change their message and we’ll see what happens.

What is your ally Britain up to!?!

No, but I can say that we’re going to be very involved with the U.K. I mean, you don’t hear the word Britain anymore. It’s very interesting. It’s like, nope.

How can you be so generally disintrested in everything aside from money and power?! He is by far the dumbest person ever to be in charge of a country.

cameron

WSJ: Just on Sessions, just one thing. Would you like to see him step aside? Would you like to see him resign? Would it be in the country’s best interest just –

TRUMP: I’m just very disappointed in him. I’m disappointed in, you know, a number of categories. I told you, the leakers. He should have – he should be after them. So many people say to me: Why are they going after you on nothing and they leave Hillary Clinton alone on, you know, really major things? And it is – so I’m disappointed in him. And don’t forget, when they say he endorsed me, I went to Alabama. I had 40,000 people, you may have been there, remember, in Mobile?

WSJ: I remember.

TRUMP: I had 40,000 people. He was the senator from Alabama. I won the state by a lot, massive numbers. A lot of the states I won by massive numbers. But he was a senator. He looks at 40,000 people and he probably says, what do I have to lose, and he endorsed me. So it’s not like a great, loyal thing about the endorsement. But I’m very disappointed in Jeff Sessions.

'Member? I 'member.

Notecards, in an interview. The man needs notecards and someone coaching answers to get through an interview.
And he still manages to be an incoherent mess.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Trump lied about the BOY SCOUTS. A senior Scouts source says there was no call at all, let alone a call telling him his speech was the best.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

To repeat: the Boy Scouts say this call, described in detail by the president of the United States, did not happen.

NO. MIX.

Steejee

I don't think I could write verbal responses this bad even if I tried and was so drunk and stoned I couldn't stand up.

Imagine being someone on his team. Not only do you have to listen to this regurgitated word salad on a daily basis, you have to both agree with it AND compliment the manchild whenever he does literally anything.

It's staggering what people will put up with for a bit of money and power.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Daniel Dale @ddale8

ayyy lmao

I have a feeling that this and the NYT interview will be the focal point of an entire episode of the documentary series made in 10 years.

could of just said the speech was fine, that he got a lot of compliments on it, ANYTHING. could of really taken a down the middle approach.

nope.

the speech was the greatest speech in the history of the boy scouts.

trumps the guy that when a girl says he has a tiny dick he starts screaming about how its the biggest dick on the history of the planet

I don't know how any sane adult could read this rambling, incoherent, self-absorbed word salad and think, "Yeah, this guy is capable of running my country."

But then again, it's easy to get rid of that doubt with the #FAKE_NEWS airhorn.

Mr Swine

Banned
I mean, I mean, I mean, I mean, I mean, I mean.

He really can't talk as an ordinary person before saying "I mean" in a sentence.

Shoeless

I don't know how any sane adult could read this rambling, incoherent, self-absorbed word salad and think, "Yeah, this guy is capable of running my country."

But then again, it's easy to get rid of that doubt with the #FAKE_NEWS airhorn.

I guess the important part is not the running, so much as the going after bad hombres, illegals, transgenders, and anyone else that isn't straight, white, Christian, and, if female, knows their place in the kitchen.

WSJ via Politico said:
TRUMP: I know, that’s just – and Anthony will handle that. [aughter.] I can – Anthony can do that out of his back pocket, OK? I’m talking about intelligence leaks. I’m talking like the story about Syria that was in The New York Times the other day. I’m – which by the way, was a decision made by people, not me. But, you know, they wrote it 100 – it was in the –

WSJ: The Post, I thought. It was in The Washington Post.

TRUMP: It was in The Washington Post. That was not something that I was involved in, other than they did come and they suggested. It turns out it’s – a lot of al-Qaida we’re giving these weapons to. You know, they didn’t write the truthful story, which they never do. So all of those things are very important. But, no, I’m very disappointed in the fact that the Justice Department has not gone after the leakers. And they’re the ones that have the great power to go after the leakers, you understand. So – and I’m very disappointed in Jeff Sessions.

Am I reading this correctly? It sounds like "people" in the administration leaked information on Syria to the Washington Post without really getting Trump's blessing and then he gets upset that WaPo didn't parrot the white house talking points?

If so, this system is fucked and Republicans are the masters of projection.

Edit: On fourth read, it may be a really backward way of saying that he didn't support the program of arming rebels in Syria. But man, that takes some serious unraveling of his thought fusilli.

Edit2: And he had freaking note cards!

Shoeless

Trump is, in the most unintended way, a horrific example to the rest of America that anyone really CAN become President of the United States, and why this is not necessarily a good thing.

Trump is, in the most unintended way, a horrific example to the rest of America that anyone really CAN become President of the United States, and why this is not necessarily a good thing.

Trump is also the perfect example of a man that was born on home plate celebrating his entire life that he hit a home run.

cameron

someone asked sanders about the boyscout lie during the current briefing. LMFAO. she couldn't give a straight answer.

Q: Did Trump lie about his calls w/ Mexican prez, Boy Scouts?

SHS: "I wouldn't say it was a lie. That's pretty a pretty bold accusation."

— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) Aug 2, 2017

.@SHSanders45: “I wouldn’t say it was a lie…The conversations took place, they just didn’t take place over a phone call.”

— Zeke Miller‏ (@ZekeJMiller) Aug 2, 2017

Video in the first tweet.

Q: Did Trump lie about his calls w/ Mexican prez, Boy Scouts?

SHS: "I wouldn't say it was a lie. That's pretty a pretty bold accusation."

— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) Aug 2, 2017

.@SHSanders45: “I wouldn’t say it was a lie…The conversations took place, they just didn’t take place over a phone call.”

— Zeke Miller‏ (@ZekeJMiller) Aug 2, 2017

Video in the first tweet.

Press briefings should have real-time fact checkers. So during the briefing, they would call the Boy Scouts chairman and ask whether he told Trump his speech was the greatest ever.

They'd probably never hold a press briefing.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Someone needs to write a Trump Filter widget so that we can boil down his drivel into readable English.

I can only take so much of his word salad before wanting to shoot myself.

LakeEarth

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Daniel Dale @ddale8

I just had this hilarious thought that Trump is telling the truth, except it was really some kiss-ass aide pretending to be a Boy Scouts representative to stroke his ego some more.

SpaceWolf

Banned
WSJ: Can you tell us more about what’s going on?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: No, but I can say that we’re going to be very involved with the U.K. I mean, you don’t hear the word Britain anymore. It’s very interesting. It’s like, nope.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom