• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Trump to warring GOP senators: I'm on your side

Zolo

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/trump-health-care-paul-collins-240065

Rand Paul and Susan Collins are on opposite ends of the Republican Party when it comes to health care, yet somehow the two senators both left this week’s Obamacare repeal meetings with President Donald Trump thinking he’s on their side.

Paul wants to gut as much of Obamacare as possible and recalled after his one-on-one meeting that the president “realizes that moderates have gotten everything so far” on the healthcare talks. The centrist Collins, on the other hand, left a larger Tuesday gathering with the president sure that he still wants to make the bill’s healthcare offerings more robust, explaining that “he did leave me with that impression.”
“He understands the need to bring prices down, which I think is where Rand is at,” said Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.). “With Susan, he is showing the compassionate side for the working poor.”
Attendees said that Trump seemed intensely focused on getting a bill passed and is acutely aware that action on healthcare will lead to future momentum for tax reform and infrastructure investment. He did, however, leave left some senators with the impression that he didn’t fully understand the specifics of disagreement among Republicans. He told the senators that he wanted a deal and he understood all their concerns but made clear the details mattered less than the conclusion: A win for him and his party.

“He runs a good meeting. But he doesn’t know anything,” said one source briefed on the encounter. “It was like a CEO with his subordinates.”
Trump also was repeatedly confronted by angry senators over a White House-sanctioned outside group that planned to attack Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) for opposing the current healthcare bill. The president signaled that he understood that the Heller ad was not good for their relationships.

"He said: ‘I get it, I get it,’" said another person familiar with the meeting.

If Trump’s goal was to soothe the party’s differences, however, the president may have accidentally accentuated some of them with his unusually placid demeanor. Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), who is pressing urgently for more generous Medicaid benefits and funding to fight opioid addiction, said on CNN that “the president was right there with, I think, my line of thinking.”

“The bill needs to be more of a repeal bill. And I think the president’s open to that,” Paul said, arguing the opposite case. “He’s asking conservatives: ‘What can we do to make the bill more conservative and a repeal bill?’”

So basically he tells everyone what they think they want to hear.

Or just agrees because he doesn't know anything. That one.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Question for those who know, next election cycle currently trump is the presumptive nominee, but even if he wanted to run again the republicans could just run someone else right? Someone more in line with their ideals.

Tamanon

Banned
He doesn't give a fuck about what's in the bill itself. It's just about passing something for him, so of course he's with everyone. Even if they're opposed to each other.

Hexa

Question for those who know, next election cycle currently trump is the presumptive nominee, but even if he wanted to run again the republicans could just run someone else right? Someone more in line with their ideals.

They could, but unless Trump agrees to it, no way in hell they would. Guaranteed loss if Trump doesn't endorse their nominee.

RuGalz

Nothing new here. He just says whatever to appease to whoever is in front of him so the person thinks he's understanding. Then he just turns around and do whatever he wants anyway.

Fox318

Its about winning the vote.

So he can talk to everyone about how he won and how he makes deals.

Nevermind questioning if the deal is good.

They system should be improved and could use a better focus on making sure businesses can have affordable care and there probably are some things that could be done to lower rates for most people (force under 26 year olds who qualify to get plans under their employer, force hospitals to charge based on state approved fee schedules instead of simply percentage based costs, work on improving urgent care centers, having a fine or a plan of action to prevent people from using the ER as their PCP, tax breaks to employees that can prove they attempt to live a healthy lifestyle)

Not everything would get cheers from everyone but since we aren't moving to a single payer system anytime sure its probably the best we could do.

cameron

Trump also was repeatedly confronted by angry senators over a White House-sanctioned outside group that planned to attack Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) for opposing the current healthcare bill. The president signaled that he understood that the Heller ad was not good for their relationships.

"He said: ‘I get it, I get it,'" said another person familiar with the meeting.

Clowns will never learn and will always shoot from the hip. AP: McConnell says attack ads against GOP senator were ‘beyond stupid'
WASHINGTON — Some Republicans are blaming an outside group supporting President Donald Trump for the unexpected delay Tuesday of a vote on a Senate health care proposal.

America First Policies spent four days on a pull-no-punches campaign against Republican Sen. Dean Heller of Nevada, beginning shortly after he surprised members of his own party with a Friday afternoon press conference denouncing the Senate plan as written.

America First is a politically active nonprofit run by a former White House aide and Trump campaign veterans.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told White House chief of staff Reince Priebus that the group's attacks were ‘‘beyond stupid,'' according to a Republican with knowledge of the exchange. The person demanded anonymity to share the private conversation.

The group took down the ads Tuesday night.

Kusagari

Trump has no idea what the fuck is actually going on so he just agrees with whoever he's talking to because they make it sound like their side of the issue is the right one.

Lmao. He really shouldn't let congress pass trash because that will come back on him in the form of public backlash. Why let them pass trash? He has no choice but to be informed if he actually cares about how many likes he gets. I guess he's that superficial.

slit

Rand Paul is so full of shit, he knows it's a bad thing to support and is simply hiding behind his alleged ideology in order to cover.

iammeiam

What percentage of GoPers in Congress do you think buy Herbalife and send money to Nigerian princes?

The best part about this is that like

they're being scammed by the President of the United States.

It's like if all those e-mails really did come from Nigerian princes out to make a quick buck

"Then give us an equal amount of scoops"

The best part about this is that like

they're being scammed by the President of the United States.

It's like if all those e-mails really did come from Nigerian princes out to make a quick buck

"Make millions helping me defraud somebody else..."
ATTEN:

VERY URGENT, the most urgent

OUR best URGENT but not desperate REQUEST FOR YOUR UNALLOYED CO-OPERATION FOR THE TRANSFER OF USDonald$ $18,500,000.00 (EIGHTEEN MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND U.S. Donald$ ONLY).

"We are a team of top government officials who are highly placed with the petroleum trust fund (PTF, aka Pussy Touching Fund), as well as the federal government of what's a country that sounds rich? contract review committee(a real committee ull see), who are interested in commencing an immediate business relationship with you a few years after we begin business with you. We hereby solicit strongly(demand loyalty) for your assistances(I meant to leave this typo because I don't need help from anybody), to enable us to transfer (forex) fund, which total usDonald$$18,500,000.00 into a reliable THE BEST bank account overseas/my mattress, which you have absolute control over my dead fucking body." and the beat goes on. 30% for me, 60% for them and 10% for
taxes etc.
me again

Rand Paul is so full of shit, he knows it's a bad thing to support and is simply hiding behind his alleged ideology in order to cover.

Yeah, Rand ain't fooling no one. Kentucky has benefited from the ACA more than almost any other state. He knows that repeal would be catastrophic for people's health and their jobs. Since he can't say as much, lest he be accused of being a RINO liberal shill, he criticizes it from some bullshit libertarian angle.

Trump is going to be insufferable if he gets this thing through. He's going to be patting himself on the back for the rest of his life.

RPGCrazied

The more alarming thing is he probably hasn't even read the bill. He has zero clue whats in it. He is just talking to try to please people with words.

Um trump doesn't even have his own back. He's consistent in contradicting himself. In other words he's a fucking moron to the tenth degree.

Ponn

Banned
With Trump on your side who needs enemies. At least you know for sure where the backstabbing is going to come from.

Ithil

When will they realize he doesn't mean anything he says? He says whatever he thinks the person in front of him at that very moment wants to hear to like him. Between that and baseless, mindless hyperbole, he never does anything else.

Trump playing both sides like he's still negotiating to build some shit building on park ave and not the purported leader of the free fucking world?

Man I'm shocked.

Taramoor

I wonder if anyone noticed that he effectively said "I'm on your side" to three different and opposing sides of a conflict.

Kylarean

I read the topic title as "Trump warning to GOP senators: I'm on your side". I guess that also works.

I would have figured by now, that these senators would have figured out Trump says whatever they want to hear. How can opposing views come to the same conclusion that he is on their side?

Top Bottom