• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: 1-in-4 voters believe Trump's vote-fraud claims + approves US paying for wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaNaranja

We need education reform. K-12 sucks in a lot of places, and most people don't (or can't) go past that. How are you supposed to think critically if you were never taught?

Brinbe

These 30/40% are consistently the collective idiots holding America back.

Blue state America needs to just start over and secede at this point. Like the No Homers, Start the No Trump States of America and exclude every red state moron. Build a wall around middle America and let them fend for themselves with their shit-ass economies.

There's a really good quote by Hamilton in Chernow's biography about him. Hamilton wrote a letter to Angelica Church complaining about how he was being worn down by the lies being told about him, paraphrasing: "if one hear's a lie enough times, they take it as fact".

Uninformed people here the lies enough, it becomes their fact.

Mr. X

25% believing in voter fraud is believable. Funny that they think Trump favored from it. Suck it Trump.

Beartruck

I don't want to invoke the Jim Crow era, but there really needs to be a core competency test required for anyone to vote. Nothing crazy, just like... a test from a third grader. If you think the sun revolves around the earth you shouldn't be in charge of jack shit.

natjjohn

Surprised at the support for the 20% tax support. They likely don't know that would almost assuredly mean higher prices on those items.

I don't want that

TalonJH

This is the real news here, and could accurately be replaced by, "Half of Americans have zero idea what a tax on goods would do to their own personal lives."

I think a lot of people underestimate how much is imported from Mexico.

gcubed

25% think Obama is Mephistopheles's brother who was brought on earth to slaughter white christians, so this isn't even bad

rjinaz

Sad to say both my Step-father and brother believe in voting fraud. I had a huge argument before the elections about how they claimed illegals were going to steal the election and how can you possibly know that they aren't? When I explained how voting fraud has been looked into before and nothing was found they laughed in my face. " and who looked into it? The government? Exactly".

the fact that now Republicans actually control the government is lost on them. Somehow it's always the Dems fault. There is no reason with these people. Right now "illegal immigrants" are the devil out to steal their jobs, their votes, their tax money, hell democracy itself.

Thanks Republicans for your racist rhetoric.

Kettch

I'm sure a sizable amount of the public supports Trump, but why are we still polling voters/likely voters? There's no election coming up, poll the entire country.

Do they always limit approval rating polls to voters?

gaugebozo

44-percent plurality says that Congress should consider policies even if they plunge the nation deeper into red ink

Nice to see all that debt talk was complete bullshit to hamper a Democratic president.

Averon

This why I say let voters feel the enormity and consequences of their actions. Shielding voters from their dumb decisions just reinforces bad behavior.

I mean, honestly, I know this is kind of sad in a lot of ways, but this is...not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I also think it's really interesting that of those who believe in that voter fraud nonsense, more of them think it benefited Trump over Clinton. That is just a really weird little quirk there.

I'm sure a sizable amount of the public supports Trump, but why are we still polling voters/likely voters? There's no election coming up, poll the entire country.

Do they always limit approval rating polls to voters?

I wonder a lot about this myself, honestly. I am really more interested in what non-voters are thinking right now. It would give us a better view of what people are thinking on the average I think.

Given how many people approve of his immigration ban, I'm surprised the number is not higher tbh.

A lot of people approved of immigration laws, but most didn't want people with green card holders to get screwed over, so a lot of people "mildly approved of it". You should really read the statistics, it's not as black and white or as bad as some people on that thread made it out to be.

daveo42

Banned
Unfortunately they don't even have to listen to it directly. None of my family does. But they do talk with people that do at work, they also listen to sports radio that seems to have these conservative views.

It reaches people who don't even turn on a radio or watches Fox News, or reads Breitbart or Drudge.

The issue there is less about the illusory truth effect and more about critical thinking skills and research on information received from unvetted sources. Your friend at work says X, which sounds inflammatory but he listens to and reads alot of news and seems well informed, so you take him at his word and add his truth to your own without validating if it's really true or not.

badrang

Neogaf really is a safe, liberal bubble. You feel surrounded by like-minded liberal folk, only to realize that you truly do not represent a mainstream opinion. Very scary. Democracy was a mistake.

If you lived outside a major city, you already knew this. Moved back to a smaller town in MS just before the election..,,people here are fucking insane.

Parch

We need education reform. K-12 sucks in a lot of places, and most people don't (or can't) go past that. How are you supposed to think critically if you were never taught?
Budget cuts, school hours, classroom size. The education system has taken a big kick in the nuts over the last couple of decades and now the results are being felt.

OK, we need to stop thinking polls about policy accurately reflect peoples desired policy goals, and instead are often used to signal support for politicians and their stated political party, ideology. These same people would reject it and did when liberals complained about Ohio after 2004

Especially when questions are framed "Do you support Donald Trump's voter fraud claim"

The question was "As you may know, President Trump has said he believes between 3 million to 5 million votes may have been cast illegally. Do you believe 3 million to 5 million votes were cast illegally, or not?"

To many this question is just a reformulated "Do you support Donald Trump"

Dehnus

These 30/40% are consistently the collective idiots holding America back.

Blue state America needs to just start over and secede at this point. Like the No Homers, Start the No Trump States of America and exclude every red state moron. Build a wall around middle America and let them fend for themselves with their shit-ass economies.

There will always be Homers, and that is okay. Homers are sweet and kind people, but those that take advantage of the Homers are the bad guys. The Mister Burnses. SO no more Montys :).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Thats still lot of uninformed people. Probably that's the amount who gets their news from Fox News?

Fliesen

I think a lot of these "approvals" for Trump are less genuine approval than "if i don't approve with this then i have to admit i made a huge fucking mistake"

i think quite some people are simply "going with it"

thankfully, 1-in-4 is already way lower than his supposed ~50% overall approval

Seigyoku

I hate everything.

Every day it's like my will to do anything, already at a near all-time low is just sapped more and more.

Neogaf really is a safe, liberal bubble. You feel surrounded by like-minded liberal folk, only to realize that you truly do not represent a mainstream opinion. Very scary. Democracy was a mistake.

Rant on
You forgot to mention that it is a reality based bubble.
That's rather important.
Otherwise it sounds like you would be suggesting we are no better or worse than an episode of infowars And everything is relative.
That's what the destructive forces now loose want, they don't want any benchmarks based on reality. They want people to forget there is any truths left to try to get close to. They want people like you to say oh that's just the bubble you are in. Bubbles shmubbles come out and accept the "world" where you lost we won.
This idea sounds cool to surrender to, but it's bullshit. And the way to tell is just go and immerse oneself in the other filter bubble for a while really drink it in. The thought leaders lack any finessse, the messages are transparently manipulative, they don't know how to save themselves from falling for straight up lies. It's like watching neanderthals try to run a moon shot. Lots of rage and strength but they keep breaking the fragile bits.

Like today's "scoop" on infowars was from an "Israeli intelligence operative" text message that trump had just been nominated for the nobel peace prize!! because of his initiative to move the US embassy!!. It takes 3 minutes to find the origin of this and it's that anyone can write to the nobel committee to nominate someone and write whatever the voices say that day.
But his audience will drink the kool aide and now libtards are trying to pull down a nobel peace prize winner!!

This is the filter bubble the other guys sit in. It isn't the same distortion field. It's badly produced badly lit horseshit. The liberal political filter has its issues but it's fundamentally closer to the truth and is full of more intelligent nuanced and nicer people. Unless you are very easily led, the white nationalist one is straight up madness right now.

It's the company of libtards comparing notes "are you seeing this shit?" or it's crazy town.
Democracy is dead? are you posting from Russia in which case yes you are the object lesson in what not throw it away for.

End rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom