• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Poll: 98% of Latinos do not identify with “Latinx” label

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
medium.com/@ThinkNowTweets/progressive-latino-pollster-trust-me-latinos-do-not-identify-with-latinx-63229adebcea

One of the greatest challenges facing marketing departments and political campaigns today is the inability to discern signals from noise. As a professional market researcher, I see this on a daily basis. Social media listening teams regularly confuse online chatter for real-life trends and this can misinform entire PR and advertising strategies.
Over the past few months and years, several of our clients have noticed the term “Latinx” trending as a new ethnic label to describe Latinos. It has been used by academics, activists, and major companies, including NBC and Marvel, as well as politicians like Senator Elizabeth Warren. We were curious about the appeal of “Latinx” among the country’s 52 million people of Latin American ancestry and decided to test its popularity.
While my colleagues and I are progressive on social issues, as researchers, we have to put aside our personal biases and render advice based on the best available empirical evidence. To examine the acceptance of “Latinx” our firm conducted a nationwide poll of Latinos using a 508-person sample that is demographically representative of Census figures, yielding a ± 5% margin of error with a 95% confidence interval.
We presented our respondents with seven of the most common terms used to describe Latinos and asked them to select the one that best describes them. When it came to “Latinx,” there was near unanimity. Despite its usage by academics and cultural influencers, 98% of Latinos prefer other terms to describe their ethnicity. Only 2% of our respondents said the label accurately describes them, making it the least popular ethnic label among Latinos.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some have speculated that “Latinx” resonates with women and Latino youth. We found no evidence of this in our study. While Latinos’ preferences for other labels vary by age, the limited appeal of “Latinx” is consistent across generations and genders. Only 3% of 18–34 year-old respondents in our poll selected the term as their preferred ethnic label. This was roughly the same as the 2% of 35–49 year-olds. No respondents over 50 selected the term. In other words, 97% of millennial and Gen-Z Latinos prefer to be called something other than “Latinx.” Meanwhile, only 3% of women and 1% of men selected the term as their preferred ethnic identifier.
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
What's the rationale for switching from "na" to "nx"? I've never once heard someone speak the word Latinx. Is it pronounced "Lah-tincks"?
The neutral in spanish is also the masculine-gendered words, so a latino can refer to a man or a woman. Some idiots with nothing better to do think that this makes people worship the patriarchy so they want to create a new neutral ending with the 'x'. I don't even know or care how to pronounce that thing.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Latinx is a label that is only used / embraced by white middle class millenial women with gender studies degrees to make them feel good and progressive on twitter.

In particular, it is embraced by people that do not speak Spanish or any other gendered language and thus does not
even understand how this "breaks fundamental rules of the language".
Unless you're perra loca.

• LOL
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009

Good to see I'm not alone.

Reactions: lock2k

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
sorry bodies is not inclusive enough, I am triggered. What about all those single cell organisims out there, dont you think about their feelings?

Latinorganisims or Latincells is the only logical choice.
As a humorganism who lost xy body and is just a head, this blatant ablism offends xe and xy headmates. Doctor Who in particular is triggered. Check your privilege, bodyscum.

Weilthain

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2013
I don’t even understand what thier problem is, the language is gendered I don’t get it. Definitely a master troll with huge power doing this.

I guess if you dont identify as male or female then you’re a latinx, but are you un lantinx or una lantinx or maybe unx latinx.?

gioGAF

Jun 14, 2011
It is ridiculous, a little of that wokeness being sent to the latino community. Latinx is a term made up by liberal elites to extend their inclusive/progressive agenda as far as possible. Never mind that it makes zero sense to anyone who speaks the language and would be ridiculous in implementation.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
there was a recent study finding that only 8% of the population are full on SJW wokeness police. but they tend to be extremely loud. i heard latinx all the time but it's only from the same 1 or 2 people who are extremely woke.

like most internet/Twitter social trends, it doesn't exist IRL, but it's ubiquity on the internet makes people think it's a bigger deal than it is.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
First they came for the womyn, but I was too busy laughing at the angry women for being terrible spellers.

Then they came for the LatinX and I didn't care because I'm not a fucking moron y puedo hablar español.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
They are banning brown people for dare to not liking the word.
Hm.
When white people think they know better than brown people and try to force the brown people to change their language.
When brown people object to have their language changes enforced by the white people, the white people scold and shame them because they, whitey, knows best.

That sounds like the definition of white supremacy.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
Identity politics at its best, let’s label something that already has a classification to look edgy and cool.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Im latino and i can attest to this. I'll never write that nonsense.
You should call them out for being white supremacists next time they, the woke white women, tries to force you to change your, not theirs, language.

That will blow their minds.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Im latino and i can attest to this. I'll never write that nonsense.
Well, you better get used to it because SJW lefties are trying to make it the preferred blanket term.

And even better, I bet the term was conceived by some random white guy years ago.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
I don't get the resistance, since Hispanics and Latinos call themselves Hispanics and Latinos, which are also made up terms that were intentionally created in the context of America and didn't exist 100 years ago.

It will become the normal term anyway, if you don't use it you will be kicked out of university or fired from your job o the west coast, then soon every blue city. I give it 5 years.

• LOL

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Most people (from all population or ethnic groups) aren't non-binary in the first place.

I'll only use the term if someone asks me to do in conversation. Otherwise, nope.

EDIT:

Funny how being respectful and not a jerk about this apparently equals being "pushed around"...

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Most people (from all population or ethnic groups) aren't non-binary in the first place.

I'll only use the term if someone asks me to do in conversation. Otherwise, nope.
Good to know you can be pushed around so easy.