• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Across their ENTIRE lifetime, do you prefer the 360 or the PS3 OVERALL?

Which do you prefer OVERALL? Xbox 360 or PS3?

• Total voters
Again, I have no dog in this race, but the Central/South American market shouldn't even be taken into consideration, here. I lived in Buenos Aires and Santiago for almost a year at the time (2 semesters away while at Uni) and both consoles were an incredibly rare sight... the market there was not healthy at all during that gen, it was completely insignificant. The prices were insane, so it's not surprising! Do bear in mind the 2 countries I lived in are the most prosperous on the whole continent, so I can't even imagine how barren it must've been elsewhere. By the way, link me up to where you're getting this info from... I have a feeling you guys must think I'm trolling with these requests but I really just want to know for sure since for some reason these claims are always coming from posters who reek of fanboyism (no offense) when it comes to their defensive reasoning and none of you seem to want to cough up any sources. I want the sources for personal interest, like I've told you before I have no dog in this race (I'm a Nintendo/PC guy).

We have sales for the NA (the entirety) and the UK on this site.

By 2016 the 360 was at over 42 million in NA and around 10 million in the UK, that's 52 million.

So with the 360 and PS3 being round near 90 million units by all estimates, that leaves 38 million units that have to come from other locations. 37.4 if we also add japans sales.

Even if We pretended the 360 stopped selling after the 2014 announcement of 84 million, that would still leave over 31 million coming from somewhere.

And while the ME and Africa might make up 1-2 million of that at BEST, the rest HALF to come from other area in Europe and SA, there's no other way to slice the numbers. 360 did good outside NA region and UK, in fact, it was closer to 50/50 until Kinect became a big deal, but that's still 37.4 million that has to come from somewhere as hard as it may be for you to believe.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I decided in the end to vote X360.

The PS3 had a really shit start whereas the 360 came out the box all guns blazing. I'll never forgive Sony for removing the PS2 backwards compatibility. It was a real dick move and they paid for it in those early years.

Also, they became incredibly arrogant after the success of the PS2. I remember being told by the studio heads after a meeting with Sony that they were demanding only AAAA, luxury, premium software on their console. They were demanding for studios and publishers across the world to double and treble their dev costs to put only premium games on it. That one demand turned most dev's and pub's off developing for it and Sony had to reverse that stance after the first 2 years - by that time, the 360 had essentially won that generation.

Although that did reverse in the final years, with PS3 overtaking the 360 (especially after the Kinect), I still feel the library of games was better on 360, I preferred the front end too. XBLA was better than PSN on PS3 for me. And of course, the creation of Achievements took the world by storm so.... As much I love my PS3, I have a special place in my heart for the 360.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
PS3 overall. I feel it really hit its stride by 2010 and became the better system.

From 2006-2009, the 360 hands down.

It’s possible I’d pick 360 if not for the RROD epidemic.

Poster above. "I'll never forgive Sony for removing the PS2 backwards compatibility"

Hahhahaha :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So salty.

I own 2 PS3 fats that have BC. One still has Other OS on it even. You had plenty of time and chances to buy a PS3 with BC. Its your own fault if you didn't get one. Not enough people cared about it and it cost extra money so they let it go after the early adopters and real playstation fans were satisfied. But there are plenty of machines out there.

Last edited:

Z..

We have sales for the NA (the entirety) and the UK on this site.

By 2016 the 360 was at over 42 million in NA and around 10 million in the UK, that's 52 million.

So with the 360 and PS3 being round near 90 million units by all estimates, that leaves 38 million units that have to come from other locations. 37.4 if we also add japans sales.

Even if We pretended the 360 stopped selling after the 2014 announcement of 84 million, that would still leave over 31 million coming from somewhere.

And while the ME and Africa might make up 1-2 million of that at BEST, the rest HALF to come from other area in Europe and SA, there's no other way to slice the numbers. 360 did good outside NA region and UK, in fact, it was closer to 50/50 until Kinect became a big deal, but that's still 37.4 million that has to come from somewhere as hard as it may be for you to believe.

Oh wow, I had always assumed it did closer to 15 million or so in the UK considering how overwhelming it was there! If it indeed did only sell 10 million in the UK then it did much better than I thought in Europe. It must've been huge in Germany to manage to get the numbers it did in Europe! I know it wasn't that great in France, Spain and Italy and since we know it sold at the very least 25m in Europe and those are the 3rd, 4th and 5th biggest markets in the region the 360 must've been selling like hotcakes in Germany to get such numbers if the UK only did 10 million!

I really wouldn't bet on much of it coming from SA, though. Mexico was probably responsible for quite a few 360 units but apart from that the rest of latin america was faced with such absurd prices I really don't see how it could've made a significant dent. I k I'd bet on a huge chunk of it coming from western Asia. I'd imagine they did good business in India, considering how many Indian online playmates I had during those days! Plenty of people from Singapore as well. Not that any of this is anything other than anecdotal but I'd bet on that region first!

I've been PS all my life, and I got the PS3 when it first came out, but the lack of good launch titles really hampered my experience, and the second I tried Halo 3 for the first time at a friends house I made the move to the 360. Although imo the PS3 had the better late gen experience, I thought overall the 360 had the best experience.

The online experiences I had on the 360 were unmatched, especially during the Halo 3, MW2 era. The fact that a lot of people had mics on because of its inclusion in the box was a game changer. It was the peak of online matchmaking.

Looking back at Halo 3/Reach and Gears, it's funny to see how respected and well received those games were compared to their current gen iterations.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
360 for me, it just had everything I liked. For the previous generation, I was a PS2 only gamer.

However, at the end of the generation, the PS3 was hands down a more interesting contender when Microsoft dropped the ball and only wanted to make kinect stuff.

SaucyJack

PS3 by a nose.

The 360 was a breath of fresh air and had some great innovations.

BUT

Games are key and Sony supported the PS3 for its entire lifetime not just the first half of it.

PS3 mostly because I still have my fully functional launch day PS3 (serves as netflix/youtube in the kids playroom) and I went through like 3 xbox 360's in the same generation.

Oh wow, I had always assumed it did closer to 15 million or so in the UK considering how overwhelming it was there! If it indeed did only sell 10 million in the UK then it did much better than I thought in Europe. It must've been huge in Germany to manage to get the numbers it did in Europe! I know it wasn't that great in France, Spain and Italy and since we know it sold at the very least 25m in Europe and those are the 3rd, 4th and 5th biggest markets in the region the 360 must've been selling like hotcakes in Germany to get such numbers if the UK only did 10 million!

I really wouldn't bet on much of it coming from SA, though. Mexico was probably responsible for quite a few 360 units but apart from that the rest of latin america was faced with such absurd prices I really don't see how it could've made a significant dent. I k I'd bet on a huge chunk of it coming from western Asia. I'd imagine they did good business in India, considering how many Indian online playmates I had during those days! Plenty of people from Singapore as well. Not that any of this is anything other than anecdotal but I'd bet on that region first!

I've constantly seen people speaking that the 360 did well in Northern Europe and Eastern Europe (especially for piracy) so that along with doing decent in Germany and a couple others in western Europe likely helped reach those numbers. Korea did ok as well.

In comparison, the Xbox One, after losing the euro countries it was ahead of the 360 in in 2016 or so, likely may not even have 22 million outside NA region/UK/Japan let alone near the around 38 the 360 sold outside that. They really dropped the ball the second half of the gen and kind of just wrote it off and did the minimal amount for most countries. They also absically abandoned asia earlier before that. Sure did better than the first Xbox but the drop is obvious.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Poster above. "I'll never forgive Sony for removing the PS2 backwards compatibility"

Hahhahaha :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So salty.

I own 2 PS3 fats that have BC. One still has Other OS on it even. You had plenty of time and chances to buy a PS3 with BC. Its your own fault if you didn't get one. Not enough people cared about it and it cost extra money so they let it go after the early adopters and real playstation fans were satisfied. But there are plenty of machines out there.
That's possibly the most sugary post ever! Lol.

Last edited:

Broseybrose

I'm primarily a PC gamer, but PS3 no question. If you've never owned a PS3, then you've never played Demon Souls. One of the best games of all time, where my avatar is from, spawned Dark Souls and Bloodborne and an amazing new genre of Action Adventure RPG.

Also there were a ton of PS3/PSN exclusives (Flower comes immediately to mind) that were gaming milestones not to be missed.

PS3 was my last console, but I've been using my PS3 controller for PC gaming since before Steam even added support for it.

Tangent: Right now Im working my way through Dark Souls 3, Mad Max, and Life Is Strange using my PS3 controller. I'm also working my way through DOOM 2016 but that's a M+KB game if there ever was one) After I finish those I have Rise of Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, and Deus EX Mankind Divided sitting in my Steam Library waiting to be installed. I stay like 2 years behind on games so I only play the best and at usually less than half price. With age comes patience and wisdom. ;)

over 400 voters is like most of the active installbase on gaf :)

Looks like it's a pretty even split. I figured Kinect would have hurt the 360 more but the library seems to have shined through.

Top Bottom