• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Across their ENTIRE lifetime, do you prefer the 360 or the PS3 OVERALL?

Which do you prefer OVERALL? Xbox 360 or PS3?

• Total voters

HyGogg

Banned
I started favoring the 360, but by the end of the gen, the PS4 pulled ahead. I will still give 360 the edge on downloadable and indie games, though. They more or less pioneered that market and Sony never fully caught up.

kyubajin

I got a 360 first cause it was cheaper and I couldn’t afford a PS3 back then. Played Mass Effect, Condemned, Bioshock, Gears of Wars, Dead Rising, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Dead Space... so many great memories. It almost made me forget about the PS3.

Then I finally got a slim PS3 initially for MGS4, and then Demon’s Souls came and changed my life forever. Uncharted saga, God of War III, Valkyria Chronicles, Catherine, Dragon’s Crown, Ni no Kuni, MotorStorm and the ultimate swan song: The Last of Us.

I eventually sold my 360 and games and repurchase them for PS3, never looked back as PS4 is a beast this gen with the kind of games I love.

Cranberrys

Xbox 360 as I loved OG Xbox so it was a logical move for me, and I never really like Sony or Nintendo, I was a SEGA guy before MS came in and I stick with them ever since. The controller was better (at least to my taste), I also prefered the MS exclusives and the multiplat games were better on 360. Plus full install around 2008 if I remember correctly and then the 360 Slim was a gem. I think it's my fave console of all times, I think I choose her even over Dreamcast or, at least, it would be a very close call.

Last edited:
My 360 shit out in four months then had the nerve to charge almost full price to repair after only four months of ownership. That's my fault for buying near launch. Ps3 all the way. I jumped out after their shitshow of service. Like a fat man the 360 ran out of steam late 2008 and gimped along. No jealousy exclusives. Just kinecting with my wallet.

Fbh

Overall Ps3
I started with a 360 and was a pretty big fanboy at the time. During the first half of the gen it was easily the best system, better exclusives, better third party performance, lower price.
After 2 RROD's and around the time MS had their Kinect E3 I switched to Ps3 and was happy with it for the rest of the gen. I think Sony did a better job with exclusives during the second half of last gen, third party performance started improving (some games actually run better and those that didn't weren't nearly as bad as those early multiplats) and as someone who is more casual about online play the multiplayer worked well, had almost all features I wanted (except party chat) and, most importantly, was free.

Also, the support Sony gave the Ps3 until the end was a big reason why I was more hyped for the Ps4. Even during its last year and with a next gen coming soon we still got a whole new god of war, a whole new quantic dreams game (a crappy one though) and one of the best exclusives on the System: The last of us.

Last edited:
360, Halo, Gears etc where so mammoth I don't see anything coming near them again in terms of exclusive online fun multiplayer. Those where the years in high school of constant Halo matches nightly. Halo felt so big at the time.

Better 3rd party games.
Better controller.
Better online.
No stolen personal information.

Downsides, the RRoD but Microsoft get a free pass on this after replacing my console at no cost years after purchase, Sony on the other hand lost $1,000s and never got another PS3 game purchase out of me after my $1,000 console YLoD after just after 12 months and they wanted $400 to repair it. If I actually repaired this console I still have it, it's still no doubt running one of the first firmwares.
The RROD never really bothered me. Microsoft never gave me a hard time about replacing it. And if I absolutely had to play my games, I just wrapped it in a towel and played until the coffin showed up and I had to send it away. I went through 4 Xbox's and then finally got one that never RROD'ed.

thelastword

Banned
PS3 easily......That race was the perfect "the race is not for the swift" or "first to the party" descriptor....

PS3 brought the best and highest rated exclusives, again exclusives wins gamers, it sells consoles...If these exclusives could sell a 600.00 console to meet a 400.00 console with a year headstart, the fact that people are puzzled at how a PS4 which was cheaper than XBOX-ONE and more powerful is wiping the floor may just be deflection afterall....A continuous flow of great exclusives in various genres at a cheaper price? Yeah, it;s going to break many a records....As I kept telling folk, PS3's problem was it's price and Sony rectified that......

What it didn't have a problem with was the games in varying genres......

UC 123
TLOU
GT 5,6
LBP
MGS4
Demon Souls
Journey
Persona
Infamous
Resistance
Killzone (2,3)
Valkyria Chronicles
GOW 3 and Ascension
A bevy of Japanese Exclusive Games
Premier Fighting Games Machine

and so many more.....but..... where else would I play Folklore, Aquanauts Holiday and Africa and so many unique gems (liek puppeteer etc..).....It was also great that it was the best media console with the inception of Bluray and Universal Media Server (DLNA), which I used quite often, media server that is.....Free online play for a while was great and giving games on the service with PLUS was a genius idea that sony did when they introduced payments, played so many gems through plus.....The most telling for me was plus sales, that began with PS3, I bought so many games digitally on PLUS/PSN and I'm talking across an American and Euro Account.....I probably have over a 1000 games on my PS3 account alone and alot of that was due to plus sales and deals...or even freebies.....Yes, if you didn't have a PS3 last gen, you definitely missed out......The remasters were great too..."Ico, sotc, gow", it just had it all...

PS3 easily......That race was the perfect "the race is not for the swift" or "first to the party" descriptor....

PS3 brought the best and highest rated exclusives, again exclusives wins gamers, it sells consoles...If these exclusives could sell a 600.00 console to meet a 400.00 console with a year headstart, the fact that people are puzzled at how a PS4 which was cheaper than XBOX-ONE and more powerful is wiping the floor may just be deflection afterall....A continuous flow of great exclusives in various genres at a cheaper price? Yeah, it;s going to break many a records....As I kept telling folk, PS3's problem was it's price and Sony rectified that......

UC 123
TLOU
GT 5,6
LBP
MGS4
Demon Souls
Journey
Persona
Infamous
Resistance
Killzone (2,3)
Valkyria Chronicles
GOW 3 and Ascension

and so many more.....but..... where else would I play Folklore, Aquanauts Holiday and Africa and so many unique gems (liek puppeteer etc..).....It was also great that it was the best media console with the inception of Bluray and Universal Media Server (DLNA), which I used quite often, media server that is.....Free online play for a while was great and giving games on the service with PLUS was a genius idea that sony did when they introduced payments, played so many gems through plus.....The most telling for me was plus sales, that began with PS3, I bought so many games digitally on PLUS/PSN and I'm talking across an American and Euro Account.....I probably have over a 1000 games on my PS3 account alone and alot of that was due to plus sales and deals...or even freebies.....Yes, if you didn't have a PS3 last gen, you definitely missed out......The remasters were great too..."Ico, sotc, gow", it just had it all...

I dont agree on exclusives. Microsoft just didn't do enough to keep momentum after the early period of the 360's life in europe. In Europe exclusives didn't sell the PS3 there early on, it was the brand and Xbox misteps.

The 360 was the first big success in Western Europe other than the UK. They not only started it with rrod, but basically left them to rot after 2008. Giving the PS3 the floor.

If MS was more world centric they may have grabbed Europe but they didn't. Same with Asia, they focused so much on Japan they threw the rest of the Asian market under the bus. Then when they gave up on Japan they also gave up on the rest of Asia to.

The 360 may have been the best selling Xbox but they screwed up their ability to actually win that gen.

I prefered my PS3 for almost everything over my 360, which was basically a Forza box. It was both the exclusives on PS3 that won me over, plus I'm one of those strange persons that actually vastly prefers the PS3 controller. Multiplats never mattered to me as I've always had a superior PC.

This gen though just hasn't tickled my fancy enough to buy either console this time, I've just stuck with PC as it fit all my needs, and the freedom of mods and settings makes it very hard for me to go back to consoles now.

manfestival

As a PC game throughout most of my life and in that period. I got most of the 360 offerings on PC and PS3 just ended up being more for exclusive content... just like now.

I could never justify a 360.

slade

I bought 2 360's and 2 PS3's. After the second 360 crapped out, I just stayed with my second PS3 which still works to this day. Overall, I found Sony had a lot more to offer me then MS over the last 3 gens.

BlackTron

The PS3 has an insane amount of utility, to this day I use them as the "default good enough" media box that you can quickly drop under a TV in a pinch. With one HDMI cord you can play games, play DVDs and Blu-Rays, stream over the net AND locally (media server, Plex etc). It will even play a movie straight off a USB flash drive. It is the jack of all trades, master of none. PS3 has more media functions than PS4!

The 360 is not nearly as versatile, but is much better in specific areas, specifically online service and FPS games. If those were important areas to you, the 360 is the clear champion.

Personally, I play FPS with a mouse so its specialty genre didn't apply to me. I didn't have to pay for online, either. The best thing 360 gave me was a great PC controller and Castle Crashers.

I think PS3 gets my vote.

Airola

I chose the Wii answer even though I had the Xbox too.
The poll should have Wii as a regular option too. There are people who had one or both of the other machines but who still preferred Wii and didn't think PS3 was better than Xbox or that the Xbox was better than PS3.

Orpheum

I was always a playstation guy. Got the PS1 for my sixth birthday and never bought a system from another company. I have a gaming PC but it just doesn't appeal to me.

alienator

had both, first half of the gen, 360, the last half of the gen, ps3.
but to pick a winner ,the one with Demon Souls. Never been so impressed with a game since then. totally new experience.

Odinnii

If i had to pick one now, I would say X360 just because a lot of the games I bought on it carried over to X1X.
PS3 had far better exclusives though.

The Alien

Banned
360....games, controller, reliable online service.

The PS3 was my least fave console.....ever.
It's lone saving grace was its Blu-ray player.

Ptownrich

UC 123
TLOU
GT 5,6
LBP
MGS4
Demon Souls
Journey
Persona
Infamous
Resistance
Killzone (2,3)
Valkyria Chronicles
GOW 3 and Ascension

The remasters were great?

Aren't you the same guy who drops into virtually every Xbox One thread to continually diss backwards compatability on the pure basis that "nobody wants to to play old games"? And yet when old games are made available on new gen Playstation hardware it's a good thing. Remaster or not, an old game is an old game.

Note - next to time you do it I'll be sure to quote your "the remasters were great" line above!

Cranberrys

If i had to pick one now, I would say X360 just because a lot of the games I bought on it carried over to X1X.
PS3 had far better exclusives though.

It depends, at the start of the gen, 360 had better exclusives (Halo, Gears, PGR, Fable, Mass Effect 1 until 2013, some exclusives JRPG...). Toward the end of the gen (around 2010-2011), PS3 had better. Anyway, overall, I prefer 360.

I wonder if there are any notable differences between the users voting for PS3 and Xbox 360 since I've noticed multiple europeans also voted for the 360 it seems.

Stexor

Neo Member
PS3 and it's really not that close. The 360 never really had any great exclusives and that many of them, and almost all of them were released on the pc anyways. PS3 also had a better controller, could play blu-ray and had free online while Microsoft was charging money for it. The absolute worst is all the 360's that broke, scratching the disks and that whole situation. I do believe that the 360 is a slight tad superior in hardware, but that's nowhere near enough to save it.

I'm also quite sure that the Xbox 360 is the most popular in America. It's also pretty popular here in europe or at least in my country(Netherlands), but i think that PS3 and Wii sold better here still.

Last edited:

Flapples

never owned a ps3, i got a 360 in 2010 cause i was hyped for Halo: Reach, before that all i owned was a ps2... so yeah 360 by far, had the best times of my life on that thing nvr frgt

TeamGhobad

Banned
Didn't play much of a role with me. Didn't think the game was close to an untouchable masterpiece like many others claim it is. I preferred the Uncharted games.
top 5 game of all time for me personally but i still went with x360. better exclusives, better online, and dont forget the time psn was hacked.

Z..

I thought the PS3 was a complete turd when I bought but it ended up vastly surpassing the 360 on the software end. By the end of the gen all that could be said about the 360 is that it had the better controller and was better for some multiplat games but since I was on PC as well, the PS3 won by landslide.

better exclusives, better online
I can see where you're coming from with the better online even though I personally disagree since paying for online is still abhorrent to me to this day, but better exclusives is complete nonsense, the PS3 completely destroys the 360 on that end. This is coming from someone who hated the PS3 at first (extremely disappointed in MGS4 and Uncharted, the first two games I played on it and I despise the DS3).

As for wondering how big a part TLOU played... please remember the 360 didn't stand a chance against the PS3 outside the UK and NA, don't let your personal regional perception affect your overall perception.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
360 had the better early gen and online component (at $50). PS3 pulled ahead in the second half the gen with so many good games. Overall I used the PS3 more and eventually sold my 360 after going through my forth system. I still have two PS3s that work fine.

Last edited:
Probably 360. In terms of features, functionality, online social aspects and such, it was a much better console than PS3 and I pretty much played all the multi-plat games on 360 as they were usually the better versions too. XBLA offerings were quite good at the time too.

PS3 I felt had better exclusives(Or at least, more that actually interested me) but other than the exclusives the whole system had a sort of second class feeling to it. Kinda like the N64 in some ways.

Last edited:
I thought the PS3 was a complete turd when I bought but it ended up vastly surpassing the 360 on the software end. By the end of the gen all that could be said about the 360 is that it had the better controller and was better for some multiplat games but since I was on PC as well, the PS3 won by landslide.

I can see where you're coming from with the better online even though I personally disagree since paying for online is still abhorrent to me to this day, but better exclusives is complete nonsense, the PS3 completely destroys the 360 on that end. This is coming from someone who hated the PS3 at first (extremely disappointed in MGS4 and Uncharted, the first two games I played on it and I despise the DS3).

As for wondering how big a part TLOU played... please remember the 360 didn't stand a chance against the PS3 outside the UK and NA, don't let your personal regional perception affect your overall perception.

Its not really nonsense. The Xbox 360 had more games not on the PS3 than the other way around by a good margin. So it's dependent on your genre taste.

Some people love Haze and Bullet Witch. Some say they shouldn't even count.

Then you have games like MAG and PGR4 which people forget about but both sold well.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
If you had the 60gig fat boy, you had access to 3 generations of PlayStation games on the same console. You also had free online, blu-ray, memory card reader and a nice, durable controller. This is a no brainer.

thelastword

Banned
If you had the 60gig fat boy, you had access to 3 generations of PlayStation games on the same console. You also had free online, blu-ray, memory card reader and a nice, durable controller. This is a no brainer.
Succint!.....and I saw nobody making a million threads and driving the point home of how impressive BC was then, funny enough.....PS3 was the best BC we ever had and I doubt we will ever see BC on that level again....

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Succint!.....and I saw nobody making a million threads and driving the point home of how impressive BC was then, funny enough.....PS3 was the best BC we ever had and I doubt we will ever see BC on that level again....

It doesn't seem economically sound for corporations that chase profits every day of the year, all day long, to implement it. No matter how wrong we'd think it was. When Microsoft did it, it stunned me but they knew they had to offer something to counter the PS4 onslaught.

Microsoft's BC is amazing and I don't own an Xbone. I'm a big PS fan, but it's difficult to deny the BC Microsoft has put down, on the table.
If Scarlet manages to encapsulate what the X1X has achieved and take it to some higher plateau, I could see myself getting it as a back up when my PC dies. Cause, let's face it, the graphics power in the X1 can and does compare to PC graphics.

I can also see Sony answering MSs BC, as per the patent thread already posted here and on other boards. However it turns out, anticipation is exceptionally high with regards to knowing what both have under wraps.

kunonabi

I chose the Wii answer even though I had the Xbox too.
The poll should have Wii as a regular option too. There are people who had one or both of the other machines but who still preferred Wii and didn't think PS3 was better than Xbox or that the Xbox was better than PS3.

Yeah, I was in a similar spot. Most of my gaming was on the Wii. X360 was mostly for DVDs, and the PS3 was mostly for Blu rays since it was the family player before being handed down to me much later.

thelastword

Banned
It doesn't seem economically sound for corporations that chase profits every day of the year, all day long, to implement it. No matter how wrong we'd think it was. When Microsoft did it, it stunned me but they knew they had to offer something to counter the PS4 onslaught.

Microsoft's BC is amazing and I don't own an Xbone. I'm a big PS fan, but it's difficult to deny the BC Microsoft has put down, on the table.
If Scarlet manages to encapsulate what the X1X has achieved and take it to some higher plateau, I could see myself getting it as a back up when my PC dies. Cause, let's face it, the graphics power in the X1 can and does compare to PC graphics.

I can also see Sony answering MSs BC, as per the patent thread already posted here and on other boards. However it turns out, anticipation is exceptionally high with regards to knowing what both have under wraps.
Well at the end of the day, they're in it for the business....BC is a nice bonus, but the fact is, not enough persons use the feature to justify an extreme investment by the manufacturer, it doesn't sell consoles. In as much as PS3 offered the best BC ever, BC did'nt do much to push PS3 consoles, there's a study out there on that gen too. The thing is, people just move on to the shiny new games, and I'd dare say that next gen, the gaming experiences will be a step up because consoles will have a beastly CPU to accompany their GPU's, so less bottlenecks for devs, even more incentive to go full throttle on the new games......More 60fps games next gen also means, less going back to 30fps games from last gen...

I think PS4 BC on PS5 is a no brainer because of the x86 architecture etc......and I don't think it will cost Sony anywhere much as BC cost them last gen....That new patent to implement textures is great.....My take is, if they're doing something that will improve the graphics of the games on that level, more people may use BC, what would improve people's use of BC even more, is a significant uptick in frames.....If sony can get a hook in all PS4 games to uncap framerates and offer the option for 60fps in BC, I think that would be BC done right next gen......Better rez and textures are great, but combine that with games going from 30-60fps in framerate is where it can shine....

Well at the end of the day, they're in it for the business....BC is a nice bonus, but the fact is, not enough persons use the feature to justify an extreme investment by the manufacturer, it doesn't sell consoles. In as much as PS3 offered the best BC ever, BC did'nt do much to push PS3 consoles, there's a study out there on that gen too. The thing is, people just move on to the shiny new games, and I'd dare say that next gen, the gaming experiences will be a step up because consoles will have a beastly CPU to accompany their GPU's, so less bottlenecks for devs, even more incentive to go full throttle on the new games......More 60fps games next gen also means, less going back to 30fps games from last gen...

I think PS4 BC on PS5 is a no brainer because of the x86 architecture etc......and I don't think it will cost Sony anywhere much as BC cost them last gen....That new patent to implement textures is great.....My take is, if they're doing something that will improve the graphics of the games on that level, more people may use BC, what would improve people's use of BC even more, is a significant uptick in frames.....If sony can get a hook in all PS4 games to uncap framerates and offer the option for 60fps in BC, I think that would be BC done right next gen......Better rez and textures are great, but combine that with games going from 30-60fps in framerate is where it can shine....

You can't really use the PS3 in this case. It's ps1 emulation screwed up lots of games and BC was barely marketed due to the extreme push for blue ray success.

Ascend

X360 easily for me...

- I like the controller better
- Online was superior
- Multiplats performed better pretty much across the board

93xfan

Banned
Loved the 360, but Sony was really killing it with BC and remaster of great trilogies such as Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank.

Today things have flipped the other way.

MDSLKTR

Had great memories of dead rising, lost planet and condemned. But PS3 from beginning to end. Sold my 360 as soon as it came back from rrod repairs.

pramod

Banned
You can't play any of these games on a PS3.

1906707-box_rs.png

1824055-box_rfa.png

51cqcl1yxHL.jpg

2188496-box_akatana.png

Culdcept_Saga.jpg

Z..

Its not really nonsense. The Xbox 360 had more games not on the PS3 than the other way around by a good margin. So it's dependent on your genre taste.

Unless you have a completely disregard for japanese games, it's not a fair contest at all when it comes to software libraries.

You can't play any of these games on a PS3.

1906707-box_rs.png

1824055-box_rfa.png

51cqcl1yxHL.jpg

2188496-box_akatana.png

Culdcept_Saga.jpg

Don't forget Ikaruga, Guardian Heroes, Virtual On Oratorio Tangram and Bangai-O!

Last edited:
Top Bottom