• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Best Analog Stick Placement

Select

• Xbox / Asymmetric

Votes: 203 43.1%
  • PlayStation / Symmetric bottom

Votes: 196 41.6%
  • Wii U Pro / Symmetric top

Votes: 19 4.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • No preference

Votes: 49 10.4%

• Total voters
600px-Microsoft-Xbox-One-controller.jpg
300px-DualShock_4.jpg
Nintendo-Wii-U-Pro-Controller-Black.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I honestly don't have a preference. I regularly play on a Wii U Pro controller, a Dualshock 4, and a standard 360 controller, to say nothing of the smattering of retro controllers hooked up to old systems.

I mentioned it in one of the other threads, but the placement of the shoulder + trigger / R1 + R2 / R + ZR is most obnoxious to me. I am happy that back-paddles are becoming more standardized.

I honestly don't have a preference. I regularly play on a Wii U Pro controller, a Dualshock 4, and a standard 360 controller, to say nothing of the smattering of retro controllers hooked up to old systems.

I mentioned it in one of the other threads, but the placement of the shoulder + trigger / R1 + R2 / R + ZR is most obnoxious to me. I am happy that back-paddles are becoming more standardized.
Exactly my thoughts.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Xbox, duh.

I've never seen or used that Wii controller but it looks even more awkward than the DS4. For anyone who has used it, is it as bad as it looks to use?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Xbox, duh.

I've never seen or used that Wii controller but it looks even more awkward than the DS4. For anyone who has used it, is it as bad as it looks to use?
The Wii U controller is quite comfortable. My hands are the comfiest when I am making an "L" shape with the thumb on the stick or face buttons and the index finger on the shoulder button, and all three controllers allow me to maintain that "L".

However, that "L" pinches into an uncomfortable "C" when using shoulder buttons, L1 + R1 or L + R.

dottme

After switching to the switch (haha), I missed the WiiU Pro controller. The 2 stick at top feel really good. The sticks are the main input now and they just are naturally under the finger.

jts

...hate me...
Xbox, duh.

Just looks weird. The left analog is on the same position as the Xbox analog so for movement it will feel about the same. And for the right side, you adapt very fast.

On that note, what matters the most to me is that the left analogue, main directional input, is in the prime position. The right side I don’t care as much.

Arkam

For me, there really is no superior layout, just recent muscle memory. Whatever I used the most recent, feels natural. I play a lot of Forza I am liking the X1 layout, do a 150 hour Death STranding marathon I like the DS4.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Symmetric bottom always
But between wiiu and xbox configuration, xbox any day wiiu pro was an abomination

Last edited:

Stuart360

Xbox by far. I have a 360 pad, XB1 pad, and a DS4 for my PC, and i just cant use the DS4. Its not a bad controller or antyhing, but once you go asymmetric there is no going back.

DrAspirino

Banned
It depends on the games you play most. For 2D and fighting games, the symmetrical approach is the best option, since the left thumb would land naturally on the d-pad, which is used the most on those games. For 3D, in which you need precise movement control, the asymmetrical approach is better, because the thumb would rest naturally on the analog stick, allowing it for more precise control on 3D environments.

It's like comparing a hammer and a screwdriver: both are equally useful as tools, you can use both to hammer nails and screws, but that doesn't mean the hammer will always be better than the screwdriver or vice-versa.

Alphagear

Neither the xbox placement or the playstation placement have ever bothered me. Perfectly fine.

Only analogue placement I have had an issue with was the Wii U gamepad and Wii U Pro controller. The right analogue stick being above the face buttons felt very awkward. Never really got to grips with it.

Kacho

Xbox/Switch Pro controller for me. Can’t stand using a PS controller these days, especially for shooters. The stick layout and triggers are awful.

Fbh

I honestly don't care.

I've been using a Dualshock 4 and Switch Pro controller as my 2 main controllers for the past 2+ years, often switching between them on the same day, and reading through this thread I think it's the first time I've actually realized they have different analog stick placement.

martino

for me it's :

for 3d game (tps) with lot of different move : move with left sitck top + 4 button action
for fps (if not mouse + keybord) : symetrical top (shoot on bumper / trigger)
for 2d game: dpad top + 4 buttons actions

worst of all : trackpads :D

Layout i use the most : first one.

For me playstation is stuck in a past addon on ds1 (considering the type of experience they mainly push)

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
After switching to the switch (haha), I missed the WiiU Pro controller. The 2 stick at top feel really good. The sticks are the main input now and they just are naturally under the finger.
get a pro

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I use the analog sticks on all controllers just fine. No preference.

What I do have a preference for is the d-pad and buttons. The PS controllers come out ahead in that aspect. However, it is the Xbox One controller that is attached to my PC only because the drivers work better natively.

Steam Controller with a real d-pad and the analog stick on top would be ideal. Not sure we'll ever see that on consoles at this rate, but I've heard some rumblings that an SC v2 is incoming.

9d0416496cb14411afe7ca82d88c9eb0_Large.png

just to get eaten alive by the soy boy male feminist vergin mob on twitter? i don't think so broh.
Let me dream.

Nah, I'm aware of that and even Sony gained a negative reputation of being too censorious over anime tiddies. It would be a nice breath of fresh air though.

MiguelItUp

I always preferred the XB360/XB1 analog placement for FPS titles. But I felt PS3 and especially PS4, felt better to me for third person titles for some reason. But if I had to choose, I'd choose Xbox as it just feels better in the hands. I mean that Switch pro controller is top-top to me as well.

Top Bottom