• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Best Indie Games of 2016

Select 1 or 2

• Firewatch

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • The Witness

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Darkest Dungeon

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • INSIDE

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Stardew Valley

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Hyper Light Drifter

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Superhot

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Enter the Gungeon

• Abzû

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grim Dawn

• VA-11 HALL-A

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Furi

• Salt and Sanctuary

• Oxenfree

• Killing Floor 2

• Shadow Warrior 2

• Overcooked

• Steamworld Heist

• Devil Daggers

• Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

• Total voters
Why 2016? Because I made a thread for 2015 and now I go in chronological order. Besides, 2016 has maybe the largest amount of heavy impact indie games so far.

If you want to discuss whether game X is indie or not that's fine. This is how I define it and I can't edit it anymore even if I wanted to.

A few of the games that were left out because of limited poll space:

Thumper
Starbound
Speedrunners
Human Fall Flat
Icey
Planet Coaster
Layers of Fear
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Pony Island
Obduction
The House in Fata Morgana
Oneshot
Orwell
The Flame in the Flood
Banner Saga 2
Stephen’s Sausage Roll
Quadrilateral Cowboy
Owlboy
Punch Club

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Gungeon and Overcooked for me. I still play both of them to this day. Gungeon should be attempted by anyone who loves twin-stick shooters, sight unseen. Overcooked is one of the best co-op games out there and is pretty decent when played solo.

Runner ups for me were The Witness, Owlboy, and Abzu.

Fbh

Furi for me.
Game was fantastic. Loved the gameplay, visuals, music and how almost every boss felt really unique and fun.

It's one of those games I had never heard about when it came to Ps+. Launched it to check it out without any big expectations.... and 3 hours later I was still playing.

Last edited:
Mine is Darkest Dungeon. It is so hard and frustrating, but every time you do another run you can switch a character, or a skill, or an item, so it never feels like you're doing the exact same thing. It's in my top 5 games of all time.

Killing Floor 2 takes second spot. I can't think of a co-op shooter I haven't enjoyed and this is one of the best ones.

Last edited:

Doom85

Firewatch and Oxenfree are my 2nd and 3rd favorite indie games period (#1 being Night in the Woods) so those two. Enter the Gungeon and Darkest Dungeon were really great too.

I do want to get around to Inside, Flame in the Flood, Layers of Fear, Abzu, Salt and Sanctuary, Owlboy, and the Banner Saga games.

Gungeon for me and I still play it occasionally to this day. I love a good shmup and I love a good dungeon crawler/looter so combining the two resulted in a game suited to my interests.

I also had a lot of fun with Overcooked and enjoyed Hyper Light Drifter as well. Sadly I haven't had a chance to play a lot of the games on this list, but I'll check a few of the top ones out based on GAF recommendations

Last edited:
damn, what an amazing year for indies. How come just 2 votes?

Obduction, The Witness, Hyper Light Drifter, Inside and Superhot for me...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Selecting just 2 was painful, but I couldn't not go with Stardew / Superhot.

swarley64

I voted Witness and Inside, but I still need to play DD.

Nobody talks about it, but Death Road to Canada came out that year, and is one hell of a good game.

Top Bottom