• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Do you own a 120hz display and will you use it?

Poll: Do you own a next gen console and a 120hz display?

• Total voters

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A lot of debate going on out there about 120hz modes and performance, etc. I would like to know, even on this tech heavy gaming board, how many people who bought a next gen console, actually have a 120hz display and plan to use it?

Kagey K

Banned
Fun fact, there’s probably a bunch of people around here that have 120hz screens and don’t realize it.

On the other side there’s a bunch that think they have it, but don’t.

The stupid 4K interpolation and dodgy wording to make it seem like it’s 120 when it’s in fact only 60, meanwhile others don’t realize thier mid range tv is actually 120 if you lower the resolution.

Last edited:

JayK47

My video card does not work well above 60hz, so I have locked my monitor and video card at 60hz. My new monitor is good up to 144hz.

magaman

Banned
1080p 144hz screen reporting in. It's not that great. Don't really notice an improvement over other monitors.

Phase

I'm all about frames baby. 1080p 240hz monitor here. I will probably upgrade when I either build a new computer or buy a ps5.

got one of these bad boys which works great on the xbox

works flawlessly on the series x.....have had some mixed results on the ps5 as there simply are not certain options available in the display settings because of

xO2zlAP.png

i move between this monitor and a LG OLED as i cant play some games on massive screens

Last edited:

yurqqa

I have Dell 1440p 144 Hz G-Sync display and recently I switched to 4K 60 Hz display, because I saw almost no benefits from refreshrate over 60 (30->60 benefits are clear) and the color reproduction was shit on 144Hz display for working with photos.

I think before switching to 120 Hz display you should really try if you personally will see any benefits.
Maybe in CS:GO the benefits are clear as day, but I don't play CS:GO.

Captn

Sold my Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120hrz and grabbed a CX 48"

No regrets whatsoever!! Best screen I ever owned period!

Every time I turn it on I am wowed! :messenger_beaming:

Boss Mog

My PC monitor is 1440p 144Hz but I won't use my PS5 on it. I plan on getting a 120Hz TV next year maybe or the year after that. I'm waiting for a quality HDMI 2.1 TV with mini-LED backlighting and quantum dots.

scraz

Play at 1440p120 mostly to keep my 3080fe from turning into a space heater. Get my Ps5 on the 30th will see how that goes.

MayauMiao

My next tv upgrade will be 4k with largest screen I can afford over 120Hz as there is no content to justify it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
LG OLED that can do 1440p120hz or 4K60, will use 120hz when there's a game I play multiplayer on.

Also have a 1440p120hz monitor with VRR, so might use. Only 34" though, compared to 55" for the TV, so dunno.

Will keep an eye out on sales of the CX this holiday period as it's hard to justify when there's nothing wrong with my living room 1080p tv or my 4k gaming room tv, but never say never.

Last edited:
My 32" Monitor is 1440p/144hz. I have to look at my Samsung TV when I get home. Not sure if it's got 120hz, but I know it has Freesync.

Last edited:
No, and I don’t have a “vrr” capable tv either. It’s 4k HDR but one of the cheaper ones - is that gonna make a big difference?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
do monitors count. I have overclocked 180hz monitor but my xbox is not hooked up to it and it only does 60 hz through hdmi.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I have a 55" 4K TV that displays content at 120Hz but only at 1440p or below; at 4K it's limited to 60Hz. I prefer 4K-60Hz over 1440p-120Hz.

Kupfer

Voted for
Yes - full 120hz at 4k and I will use it a lot
but it's more like
Yes - full 120hz at 4k but I will probably not use it (120hz)

MadViking

The new console games are mostly 1080p at 120hz. I'm already past 1080p since last gen, with pro and X1X. So for me 4k/60fps are main modes.

GenericUser

My TV has a 120Hz IPS panel, but I don't know what to do with it. I usually just set everything to default and roll with it (except game mode, I turn game mode on, becauseI know that is good).
Once I get my PS5, I will just connect it and use whatever output the console suggests to me.

Yoda

I don't notice a difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS outside of shooters, so I only use it for those.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
I'd rather have a game with maxed out settings at a solid 60 than not so maxed settings with the FPS constantly changing between 50 to 100 throughout.

Pimpbaa

Much more common. 120htz panels have been around for a long time. VRR is only in the tippy tippy top end panels right now.

Stuff like the LG CX and BX are not top end panels. Hell there are significantly cheaper LCD panels (under $1000) that have VRR as well. But they are all 2020 models however, so that's the primary reason most people don't have them.

nikos

3440x1440 144Hz Ultrawide. Use it every day and will never go back to 16:9. No 120Hz for consoles yet, but I don't really care considering my PC's specs. Next TV will be 120 though.

CAB_Life

Mine is being delivered tomorrow Samsung Q80T, and I'll be using it and VRR whenever possible. Screen tearing is an abomination and my most loathed graphical hiccup next to judder.

Anki

Banned
I do have 120hz TV (hdmi 2.0) but i didn't bought it for that, it was manly for great hdr and 4k image quality while watching movies so I will use it only as a 4k/60hz TV.

I also have dell 27” 1440p/155hz freesync monitor for my pc where i play older games.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Yes, bought a few months ago the Samsung 55 Q70R 2019 edition, with a great price (400 and a few euros), just for the new gen. Couldn't afford a top budget hdmi2.1 panel, so will have to do until i can, and going by the so far game releases (4k 60fps or sub 4k 120fps) im well covered by the time being!
Oh and it also has vrr, so when Sony decides to move his ass to implement it, im good to go too 💪

Yes, bought a few months ago the Samsung 55 Q70R 2019 edition, with a great price (400 and a few euros), just for the new gen. Couldn't afford a top budget hdmi2.1 panel, so will have to do until i can, and going by the so far game releases (4k 60fps or sub 4k 120fps) im well covered by the time being!
Oh and it also has vrr, so when Sony decides to move his ass to implement it, im good to go too 💪

Despite being a very good TV, Q70R will not be able use PS5's VRR solution as it will be exclusive to HDMI 2.1 displays. Nonetheless a good TV though, good brightness good contrast :messenger_peace:

I just ordered Sony A8H OLED 55" to replace my loyal 1080p Sony.

It does have 1080/120 mode, but no 4k/120 or VRR, but I dont care about them at all. Picture quality + brand quality (even 30+ year old Sony tvs still work flawlessly that I own) were the most important factors to me.

Imo 120Hz for consoles is just useless, but I guess I will try it out of curiosity.

On ps4 pro I almost always used 30fps mode instead of 60fps as I'm not some spoiled brat whom cant enjoy games without super high fps

I used to play on PC and PC gaming is like 15-35fps territory aka lag fest, and I still played on it.*

* Not all have high end PC, when I gamed on pc from 1997 -> 2013, I mostly had low end systems overclocked and low fps at low detail were common.

It is kind of ironic that people always say/think PC is the high res, detail and fps world, while in reality PC is potentially the worst platform with lowest res+fps

Like someone would compare cars vs public transportation and claim that cars are much better because ferrari is fast and bentley is comfortable, while most drive some shit vagons

Comparing consoles vs pc should always use both low end pc + high end pc, as majority of the world owns old ass computers for gaming

Naru

Yes - but I don't care about 120 fps or RT as long as the game looks good and runs at 60 fps

I'm all in on 4k/120 VRR, use it lots for sim racing especially where I need as much image resolution and temporal resolution as possible. For titles like AC Valhalla I'm fine to step down to VRR 50-70fps at max settings/4k.

It depends on the game.

I own an LG OLED55CX5LB and love Ori In 120FPS 4K same for the Halo Collection. But I rather the graphics mode in Dirt and like the Raytracing in Cod and so play them at 60 FPS on my Series X.
Any news on when Star Wars Squadron will be at 120 FPS. I thought the update should have been out by now, but can't see it anywhere?

Top Bottom