• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Favorite Metroid Games

Select any number

• Metroid

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus

Votes: 19 8.3%
  • Super Metroid

Votes: 162 70.7%
  • Metroid Fusion

Votes: 85 37.1%
  • Metroid: Zero Mission

Votes: 76 33.2%
  • Metroid: Other M

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Metroid Prime

Votes: 142 62.0%
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Votes: 44 19.2%
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake)

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • Metroid Prime Pinball

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Metroid Prime Hunters

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Metroid: Samus Returns

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters
I like polls.

ridley_by_emortal982_d75ctoy-pre.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Voted for Super, Prime, Fusion and Zero, but I have a soft spot for the latter two.

Also missing the official Metroid 2 remake for better or worse.

kunonabi

1. Super Metroid
2. Metroid: Other M
3. Metroid Prime
4. Metroid
5. Metroid II: Return of Samus

Don't like any of the other titles.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Super Metroid
Metroid (NES)
Metroid Prime

Metroid on the NEs was so good. I remember loving every minute of it. Making maps and my mom commenting on how cool the game looked. My brother and I being blown away at the ending of Samus with her helmet off.

Kuranghi

The whole pulse thing in Samus Returns felt not Metroidy, I thought the point was finding things yourself with subtle environmental clues, not just "doing a giant bong" every 2 seconds. I don't mind that in other games but it felt wrong here.

*Sci-fi BONG noise*

Rodolink

aah nostalgia hit.
my selection:
1. Super Metroid
2. Metroid Prime beat it 100% like so many times, so good.
3. Echoes was epic but bit hard.
4. Metroid Zero Mission
Special mention:
-Metroid Other M I liked it because it took an idea on perspective switch I had years before it.

cireza

Banned
My picks are Fusion and Echoes. I think that all games from the first one to Zero Mission, as well as the three Primes, are great games. AM2R as well, fantastic game. All others don't exist to me.

I like Fusion and Echoes in particular as these games pushed boundaries and brought us many new elements, rather than rehashing the same things again and again.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid on NES aged like milk. Metroid II was never that great, to begin with. The series didn't start to become good until Super Metroid, although it hit an absolute home run with that game. Kinda a travesty seeing Other M higher than Prime 3.

Anyways..

1) Metroid Prime
2) Super Metroid
3) Metroid Fusion
4) Metroid Prime 3

Rat Rage

The first Metroid (NES) is really good, if you take into account at what time it was made. Hardware was limited and you only had 2 buttons. Yet, it manged to deliver a complex and atmospheric gameplay experience.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The first Metroid (NES) is really good, if you take into account at what time it was made. Hardware was limited and you only had 2 buttons. Yet, it manged to deliver a complex and atmospheric gameplay experience.
It was influential and unique for the time, but as of today it is not worth it anymore and Zero Mission made it obsolete anyway as it improves on everything from the original and gets rid of the flaws. It is exactly like a remake should be.

Rat Rage

It was influential and unique for the time, but as of today it is not worth it anymore and Zero Mission made it obsolete anyway as it improves on everything from the original and gets rid of the flaws. It is exactly like a remake should be.

I feel a bit different. Even today, I am suprised by just how well Metroid NES still "plays". This makes it special and relevant for me even today.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've actually never beat a Metroid game but like most people, I think they're awesome. Samus is such a cool character. I actually bought the Prime Trilogy off the Wii U eshop the other week, put a few hours into Corruption. I'm determined to finish it this time around.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Super and Prime are the absolute best. Two of my favorite games ever. It's impossible to explain how incredible Super was in 1994. The final battle is "cinematic" gaming at its finest, and without the need for dialogue, VA, or QTEs.

The rest are mostly good to excellent (I didn't play Hunters though). I never finished FF, but in multiplayer it's not the disaster the Internet (GAF especially) said, and Other M is acceptable if you can gloss over the fact that's an officially-sanctioned bad Metroid fanfiction.

Zero Mission is one of the worst remakes in video game history. It disrespects the Metroid IP much more than Other M ever did. No matter how many times I tried to like it, it just sucks. Disappointed me in every way it could, and some more. The only good (?) thing to come out of ZM is ZSS, but even that backfired with the rise of woke culture.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Zero Mission is one of the worst remakes in video game history.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Well, that's certainly a hot take you don't see any day. It's the exact opposite and almost universally agreed upon that it made the original obsolete because it is that good of a remake. AM2R is based on Zero Mission's design and mechanics.
How exactly is it disrespectful to the source material if it did improve the original in all aspects (music, graphics, control, progression, level design) and gave it some much-needed quality of life changes like a freaking map for example!?

kunonabi

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Well, that's certainly a hot take you don't see any day. It's the exact opposite and almost universally agreed upon that it made the original obsolete because it is that good of a remake. AM2R is based on Zero Mission's design and mechanics.
How exactly is it disrespectful to the source material if it did improve the original in all aspects (music, graphics, control, progression, level design) and gave it some much-needed quality of life changes like a freaking map for example!?

These were actually step backs. It's not as big a slap in the face as Samus Returns but it's close.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
These were actually step backs. It's not as big a slap in the face as Samus Returns but it's close.
Not really. You marked a few things, but I don't see any of the step-backs, like at all... The controls are much better in Zero Mission. Zero Mission is the best controlling game in the entire franchise (2D titles) because it took Super Metroid's control scheme and improved it even further by improving wall jumping, introducing ledge grabbing (although that was already in Fusion), and just generally making everything responsive and snappy. The original by comparison seems super limited. The original's level design is at times super cryptic, often scenes look near identical to each other, and therefore it's super repetitive. Clear improvement for Zero Mission, as it cuts the filler bullshit and doesn't require you to draw a freaking map. Progression is also a day and night difference between the two. Zero Mission progresses very naturally.

Also, the ice beam in the original has to be the worst upgrade ever seen in a game as it literally makes you worse and makes the game exhausting to play. The ice beam in the remake or any of the later games is a huge improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom