• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Favorite Metroid Games

Select any number

• Metroid

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus

Votes: 19 8.3%
  • Super Metroid

Votes: 162 70.7%
  • Metroid Fusion

Votes: 85 37.1%
  • Metroid: Zero Mission

Votes: 76 33.2%
  • Metroid: Other M

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Metroid Prime

Votes: 142 62.0%
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Votes: 44 19.2%
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake)

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • Metroid Prime Pinball

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Metroid Prime Hunters

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Metroid: Samus Returns

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters

Naked Lunch

I just played thru them all and Metroid 1 is the best of the series. The game is completely insane and explains nothing to you. The game was so jarring back during release and still is to this day. It still feels completely alien, scarey, and abstract. Truly unique.
Super, while an all time great, is just too easy. Zero challenge.

On the flip side, the Metroid Prime games are probably the most overrated Nintendo series. They dont live up to the series' 2d titles at all and the art direction is gutter trash. They have no lastability. Ill take any 2d metroid over any Prime.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Prime 2 is mine, i always liked the difficulty and how oppressive the dark world was. It can use a bit of reworking with the ammo and key hunts(fuck those especially since you can't get them early).
Then prime 1>zero mission>super>prime 3>fusion.....>samus returns>hunters>OG metroid.
I haven't played AM2R( or the OG metroid 2) and that stupid 3ds one. Of course that's all the games, no other metroid game that is best erased from history.

Jeeves

Super
Fusion
Echoes

Are my top picks.

I've never understood why Zero Mission is so beloved. It's a fine Metroid game and I like it, but...is there anything special about it compared to the others? I replayed it a year or two ago and my opinion didn't change.

Voted for Prime and Fusion

Both are two of my favourite games ever, I'll never forget how incredible was to discover the series with prime in summer 2003-04, thanks to the player's choice line

Best invested 29€ of the decade maybe, the atmosphere gives me chills even today

I played Fusion a little late, maybe 2008-09, I'd give everything to go back in time and play that right after Prime, back when it launched, but still an incredible experience too, I miss a good 2d Metroid

Never played super Metroid, but I heard lots of good things about it

Also liked Echoes and Corruption a very lot, love those too, and I think Federation Force is badly judged for it not being a Samus game in a time when fans wanted a real Metroid

Had a blast with FF and I recommend everyone to try it, I still crave an AAA, Destiny like FF on Switch

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Metroid Prime rules supreme..

But I also have a soft spot in my heart for Super Metroid. Most of them are really good though.

Tschumi

I'm sorry but all i could select, if i could select anything, would be Metroid Prime. Only one I've completed. Don't like the side scrollers and never had time to complete the 3d sequels. MP absolutely one of my very favourite games, though

SuperPe

Neo Member
Super Metroid is easily the best metroid game up till this point; heck it's one of the best game ever made imo. The graphics, music, and especially gameplay holds up so damn well. So yea my top three metroid games are: Super Metorid, Fusion, metroid prime 1&2 tie for 3rd

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Metroid II is my favorite, though I voted AMR2 since it's an excellent remake.

Metroid still has the coolest secrets, glitches, and fake outs. In an era when going through a block meant your game was glitching, Metroid actually used these elements to build up the mystery of the world.

Super Metroid was easy and linear. If you beat Metroid as a kid or teen, then you could beat Super Metroid in a weekend rental.

Metroid II falls in between, with a bit more "sense" to the world layout but still a lot of false walls, alternative paths, and fakeouts. The difficulty was more in line with Metroid.

Metroid Prime and the other 2d ones were fine, but to be honest i've never enjoyed a Metroid game as much as I enjoyed Metroid II.

Velius

Banned
1. Prime 2
2. Super Metroid
3. Prime
4. Prime 3
5. Fusion
6. Zero Mission
7. Samus Returns

Prime 2, Super Metroid and Prime are always swapping for me. I love all three of those games so much. Anything not in this list can go to fucking hell and burn for all fucking eternity and die and also shit themselves

00_Zer0

Super Metroid, Zero Mission and the first Prime are the best of the best for me. I have played most Metroid games, and was disappointed in games like Prime 2, Prime 3, and Metroid Fusion. It goes without saying that Other M was a disappointment to me, though I played it all the way through. I never even bothered with Federation Force. I can't believe Nintendo approved that game.

partime

I bought a Wii for the next Metroid, I bought a WiiU for a Metroid, I bought a Switch for a Metroid. Maybe my grandkids will enjoy because I'm getting old

Paltheos

God super metroid is so overrated its unbelievable. Once you play metroid zero mission you wont go back.

Yeah. Zero Mission plays better in almost every way. I'm sure I've made a list before, but off the top of my head: 1) Being able to cancel fall into somersault again midair; 2) Not losing health when shinesparking and actually being able to put long chains to use; 3) Generally faster movement speed and QOL momentum improvements like Power Grip; 4) Easier to use bomb jumping (still takes time to learn advanced stuff though) 5) A map that doesn't suck (for realsies it's little shit like better displays for pickups); 6) More and creative shortcuts (everywhere in this game); 7) Generally more interesting micro level design (Super Metroid is loaded with empty corridors with nothing in them - Norfair stands out in my mind as the worst offender).

The only thing Super has over ZM - mechanically - is Morph Ball momentum. The Morph Ball in ZM just drops like an anchor while in Super you retain your momentum and that was always more fun to play with.
Otherwise ZM's only real problem is the ZS sequence. It gets old on replay since even with the shortcuts there's little room for variation. The feeling of satisfaction from getting the fully powered suit at the end and blasting everything in your way at the end of it never gets old, but I don't know if it's worth playing through the suitless section. Tough call. That amped up Brinstar music gets me every time.

Super and Prime are the absolute best. Two of my favorite games ever. It's impossible to explain how incredible Super was in 1994. The final battle is "cinematic" gaming at its finest, and without the need for dialogue, VA, or QTEs.

The rest are mostly good to excellent (I didn't play Hunters though). I never finished FF, but in multiplayer it's not the disaster the Internet (GAF especially) said, and Other M is acceptable if you can gloss over the fact that's an officially-sanctioned bad Metroid fanfiction.

Zero Mission is one of the worst remakes in video game history. It disrespects the Metroid IP much more than Other M ever did. No matter how many times I tried to like it, it just sucks. Disappointed me in every way it could, and some more. The only good (?) thing to come out of ZM is ZSS, but even that backfired with the rise of woke culture.

I can't remember the last time I saw a take where I thought that's damn close to being objectively wrong. The myriad shortcuts built into ZM's world and the fine polish on near every mechanic made abundantly clear it's a game made for fans and by fans. Zero Mission is about going fast or skipping items (intentionally or not).

What about it bothered you? I'm guessing the game feel? It's definitely very different from the original. That's a big reason why I like the original Metroid II over the Samus Returns remake - the lonely atmosphere and escalating sense of unease as you delve deeper into SR388 is unmatched by anything in the official remake. I like AM2R quite a bit (for being so much like Zero Mission lol) but I debate whether it or the original Metroid II is the better version of the game.

Madevil

I'm sorry but all i could select, if i could select anything, would be Metroid Prime. Only one I've completed. Don't like the side scrollers and never had time to complete the 3d sequels. MP absolutely one of my very favourite games, though
That's cool man. I love the Prime Metroid's as well. But if you can, try the 2D Metroid games as well. They're mostly fantastic.

Madevil

I might be able to get it with an emulator, at your suggestion I'll try one.. what's the peak 2D title?
Would have to be Super Metroid for me. Amazingly well put together game, with awesome atmosphere and it still plays brilliantly to this day. It was and is a stand out to me because of the time and place, now that I think about it. But don't let that dissuade you. It's great stuff, dude!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
One of the catchiest ending themes of all time:

Music in the series overall is no slouch, but this is one of the rare tracks of the franchise that is trumphant/happy. I can visualize that stupid metroid baby as I listen to it...

AllyITA

i haven't played them all but for sure my favorite are super metroid and prime

the other ones i played:
metroid 1 and 2 are a bit too old and clunky for my 16bit child taste, so i didn't play enough.
fusion was good
prime 2 was ok, but didn't menage the double world well enough and the key search near the end was boring
prime 3 tried to do an fps with motion controls but got stuck between the first person adventure and first person shooter mehcanics; it wasn't good. and i hate motion controls.
hunters was pure garbage (but the demo that nintendo gave us with the NDS at launch was actually good)
other M i haven't played enough, but didn't inspire me.

Madevil

Madevil Madevil sorry hehe i think your last post was meant to have an image in it or something, but it's showing as blank for me
Ah crap. Sorry about that. It looked kind of funny in the reply from mobile.
Was just saying that Super Metroid would be my most favourite. It's just an incredibly enjoyable game, especially for it's age (1994) The atmosphere, music an game play still hold up to this day.
Yeah I do have bias because of the time/era but it shouldn't dissuade you from trying it.

Tschumi

Ah crap. Sorry about that. It looked kind of funny in the reply from mobile.
Was just saying that Super Metroid would be my most favourite. It's just an incredibly enjoyable game, especially for it's age (1994) The atmosphere, music an game play still hold up to this day.
Yeah I do have bias because of the time/era but it shouldn't dissuade you from trying it.
Rodger that, I'll look into it. Thanks!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Well, that's certainly a hot take you don't see any day. It's the exact opposite and almost universally agreed upon that it made the original obsolete because it is that good of a remake. AM2R is based on Zero Mission's design and mechanics.
How exactly is it disrespectful to the source material if it did improve the original in all aspects (music, graphics, control, progression, level design) and gave it some much-needed quality of life changes like a freaking map for example!?
I can't remember the last time I saw a take where I thought that's damn close to being objectively wrong. The myriad shortcuts built into ZM's world and the fine polish on near every mechanic made abundantly clear it's a game made for fans and by fans. Zero Mission is about going fast or skipping items (intentionally or not).

What about it bothered you? I'm guessing the game feel? It's definitely very different from the original. That's a big reason why I like the original Metroid II over the Samus Returns remake - the lonely atmosphere and escalating sense of unease as you delve deeper into SR388 is unmatched by anything in the official remake. I like AM2R quite a bit (for being so much like Zero Mission lol) but I debate whether it or the original Metroid II is the better version of the game.
I have no problem discussing it, because there’s never been a time when replaying the game made me change my mind since it came out. And believe me, I’ve tried to like it.

- ZM’s feel and physics, I don’t like at all. Samus drops like a stone after a jump. She jumps and moves like an epileptic hare. I like my 2D Metroids to be a little floaty. Fusion feels a lot better to me. AM2R definitely feels better. Super is ridiculously floaty, but it was designed around it.

- Having a ledge grab as a fucking power-up that you actually pick up from a Chozo statue is downright insulting. That’s not how the Power Suit works.

- Speaking of pickup power-ups, the “mysterious items” are the worst kind of BS. Yeah, we needed these to make you get past some stupid colored blocks, but it’s such a lazy idea we didn’t even bother to name them. This is not how Metroid works.

- What’s this shit about Chozo statues highlighting your next destination? Metroid 1 was all about getting lost. You’d get lost by the time you got to that second vertical shaft, 5 minutes into the game. What’s this handholding BS? People didn’t like this in Fusion, and R&D1 went and put this in a game that used to be all about bumping your head into walls and dead ends. Good job, morons. There’s an automap in the game, it was plenty enough to let people wrap their head around the place but no, let’s put a blinking beacon on the map. As if the game isn’t easy enough.

- The graphics are so fucking garish. I understand the GBA’s screen was junk and needed cartoony graphics to give some contrast, but Metroid is about sombre colors and organic-looking environments. Metroid isn’t a goddamn comic book.

- ... and yet, the completely unnecessary “cutscenes” - which, by the way, go completely against the Metroid 1 feeling of being alone on a mysterious planet - look like they were drawn by Marvel comics studio assistants. The style and color is just horrible. There’s no saving those close-ups of Samus’s face.

- Zero Mission is very, very short. And very easy.

- Zero Mission is basically a game designed for speedrunners. No less than 50% of the game, perhaps more, is about getting extra items hidden behind ridiculously convoluted puzzles that require the Shinespark and pixel-perfect movement. To the detriment of the main game.

- Zero Mission is a Japanese-designed game that manages to feel more American than anything Kojima ever did, which is kind of a feat. The artstyle screams America. The “cutscenes” scream America. The new Zero Suit section screams America. The clone battle and the reserve suit are such an unimaginative, western-style deus ex machina. They even used the item pickup jingle from the western version of NES Metroid, for Chrissake, even when it hadn’t been heard again since Metroid 2. Why? Just... why?

I mean, this game is from the same studio that created Metroid and Super Metroid. And yet it’s like the people who made it had nothing to do with Metroid ever before. There’s nothing of the original here. Nothing.
The original NES Metroid is a pain in the ass, but I’ll always rather restart it and play it for an hour before giving up than restart Zero Mission and get bored to tears after 15 minutes.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
- ZM’s feel and physics, I don’t like at all. Samus drops like a stone after a jump. She jumps and moves like an epileptic hare. I like my 2D Metroids to be a little floaty. Fusion feels a lot better to me. AM2R definitely feels better. Super is ridiculously floaty, but it was designed around it.
AM2R is based on Zero Mission's feel and physics though, which really is telling as it shows why Zero Mission is regarded as the best in the series mechanically. Otherwise, they would have gone for Super Metroid type of mechanics as it is the more popular game.

- Having a ledge grab as a fucking power-up that you actually pick up from a Chozo statue is downright insulting. That’s not how the Power Suit works.
It is a much-needed mechanic though as it improves movement a lot. I agree though, it is kinda stupid as a "power"-up. Fusion had it from the start.
- What’s this shit about Chozo statues highlighting your next destination? Metroid 1 was all about getting lost. You’d get lost by the time you got to that second vertical shaft, 5 minutes into the game. What’s this handholding BS? People didn’t like this in Fusion, and R&D1 went and put this in a game that used to be all about bumping your head into walls and dead ends. Good job, morons. There’s an automap in the game, it was plenty enough to let people wrap their head around the place but no, let’s put a blinking beacon on the map. As if the game isn’t easy enough.
That is a good point, Zero Mission, in fact, is giving you a lot of hints than the original.
Thing is, the design of the original is just... bad. Copy & Paste rooms, cryptic beyond belief, enemy placement to annoy you, plenty of traps, confusing layout, and no map among plenty of other things make the original a struggle. It is very influential and spawned a great series, but you really need to have them nostalgia goggles on tightly to think the original is the better game here. If this is what Metroid's "supposed to be" then I am glad they got it right with Super Metroid because if the series stayed that way, it would be deader than dead.

- Speaking of pickup power-ups, the “mysterious items” are the worst kind of BS. Yeah, we needed these to make you get past some stupid colored blocks, but it’s such a lazy idea we didn’t even bother to name them. This is not how Metroid works

True, but this isn't concerning to me at all.
The graphics are so fucking garish. I understand the GBA’s screen was junk and needed cartoony graphics to give some contrast, but Metroid is about sombre colors and organic-looking environments. Metroid isn’t a goddamn comic book.
Big disagree. It is among the best-looking GBA games and around the time Zero Mission came out people were used to the SP which had both a backlight and a decent screen. There was no need for bright and garish graphics.

Is this really that cartoony to you?

maxresdefault.jpg

44765-Metroid_-_Zero_Mission_(J)(Caravan)-1464501915.jpg

Metroid%2B-%2BZero%2BMission%2B%2528USA%2529%2B00.png

Sorry, I don't see that.
- ... and yet, the completely unnecessary “cutscenes” - which, by the way, go completely against the Metroid 1 feeling of being alone on a mysterious planet -

..you are still alone on a mysterious planet though. I don't get the logic behind this point. Do cutscenes mean you are on a crowded planet? Why do they go against Metroid? Even if you dislike them, there are so few, I can't imagine how you can be bothered by something so mundane to be honest.

So is Metroid, if you cut the copy/paste rooms. It's a moot point anyway, as Metroid (2D) games aren't exactly 30h+ games. Most of the franchise can be finished in about 5-6h easily.
- Zero Mission is a Japanese-designed game that manages to feel more American than anything Kojima ever did, which is kind of a feat. The artstyle screams America. The “cutscenes” scream America. The new Zero Suit section screams America. The clone battle and the reserve suit are such an unimaginative, western-style deus ex machina. They even used the item pickup jingle from the western version of NES Metroid, for Chrissake, even when it hadn’t been heard again since Metroid 2. Why? Just... why?
giphy.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
While I disagree at least it was ambitious and tried to be something great even if the execution didn't work. Prime 3 was just irredeemable rubbish.

I liked prime 3 over 2 quite a bit. But I have to admit I have not played 2 in quite some time.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I liked prime 3 over 2 quite a bit. But I have to admit I have not played 2 in quite some time.
I like Prime 3 better as well. It has some of the best environments of the trilogy. It is also way more linear, which is a bummer, but still better than Prime 2 as that game was way too overloaded. Prime 1 has the perfect balance that is why it's still the best among all three games.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I like Prime 3 better as well. It has some of the best environments of the trilogy. It is also way more linear, which is a bummer, but still better than Prime 2 as that game was way too overloaded. Prime 1 has the perfect balance that is why it's still the best among all three games.

I remember 2 having way more backtracking than usual for a metroid game and it drove me nuts.

Jeeves

Unpopular opinion: For the most part I enjoy backtracking in Metroid games. I think it's a good way of demonstrating how far you've come when you can go back and mow down enemies that used to present a threat. And it's also fun when they spice up the old areas with tougher enemies. Plus more often than not your new powerups will re-contextualize old areas in various ways.
I have no problem discussing it, because there’s never been a time when replaying the game made me change my mind since it came out. And believe me, I’ve tried to like it.

- Speaking of pickup power-ups, the “mysterious items” are the worst kind of BS. Yeah, we needed these to make you get past some stupid colored blocks, but it’s such a lazy idea we didn’t even bother to name them. This is not how Metroid works.

- The graphics are so fucking garish. I understand the GBA’s screen was junk and needed cartoony graphics to give some contrast, but Metroid is about sombre colors and organic-looking environments. Metroid isn’t a goddamn comic book.

- ... and yet, the completely unnecessary “cutscenes” - which, by the way, go completely against the Metroid 1 feeling of being alone on a mysterious planet - look like they were drawn by Marvel comics studio assistants. The style and color is just horrible. There’s no saving those close-ups of Samus’s face.

- Zero Mission is basically a game designed for speedrunners. No less than 50% of the game, perhaps more, is about getting extra items hidden behind ridiculously convoluted puzzles that require the Shinespark and pixel-perfect movement. To the detriment of the main game.

I mean, this game is from the same studio that created Metroid and Super Metroid. And yet it’s like the people who made it had nothing to do with Metroid ever before. There’s nothing of the original here. Nothing.
The original NES Metroid is a pain in the ass, but I’ll always rather restart it and play it for an hour before giving up than restart Zero Mission and get bored to tears after 15 minutes.
Even though I think this game is alright, this post pretty much sums up every criticism I do have of it. Sounds like people who like to do a lot of shinesparking enjoy it mechanically, but I think Zero Mission really fumbled in the atmosphere department which is obviously really important for these games. It feels more like a Saturday morning cartoon adaption of Metroid.

And while I know you can beat any game in the series in a day if you're trying, I beat this in a single night without trying to rush, on my first playthrough. For me part of the fun is when I put the game down for the day and until I play again I wonder in the back of my head where I'll explore next. The brevity of Zero Mission robbed me of that.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Unpopular opinion: For the most part I enjoy backtracking in Metroid games. I think it's a good way of demonstrating how far you've come when you can go back and mow down enemies that used to present a threat. And it's also fun when they spice up the old areas with tougher enemies. Plus more often than not your new powerups will re-contextualize old areas in various ways.
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. Metroid made backtracking popular and I enjoy it as well. I just think Prime 2 went a little too far.

Jeeves

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. Metroid made backtracking popular and I enjoy it as well. I just think Prime 2 went a little too far.
There is a lot of it in that game, and it probably feels like even more with the cutscene transitions to the dark world and back. I can look past it because I totally fell in love with the environments in Echoes.

CuNi

There is a lot of it in that game, and it probably feels like even more with the cutscene transitions to the dark world and back. I can look past it because I totally fell in love with the environments in Echoes.

Mostly this fo rme too.
I remember how stunned I was when I walked into Torvus Bog and wondered how all of those machines worked in days past when they were not overgrown and flooded.
The questions that popped into my head when I arrived at Sanctuary Fortress and saw the Skybox. "What is that? A Massive City? Part of the Fortress?".
I loved that exploration feeling you got from Prime 2. That's one of the main reasons why I prefere Prime 2 over 1.
Though gameplay was great too. Backtracking was a bit much, not gonna lie, but it was okay in my Opinion.

Top Bottom