• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Poll] In retrospect, do you think Sony's E3 2015 was deceiving?

How do you view the Sony E3 2015 Trio announcements in retrospect?

• Total voters
4 years later and none of these coming out as advertised (though te last Guardian at least came out), this is still relevant.

Sony announced 3 hyped games at an otherwise meh E3 conference in the year 2015. Final Fantasy VII, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3. The latter of which didn't have a trailer but a selfie video promoting kickstarter.

While TLG showed the same trailer, twice, and wasn't really as what people hoped, it did at least release, though after a long period of time. However we have gotten very sporadic news on the other two and since it's November as of this threads creation they likely won't be coming out this year.

But we may not even see Shenmue 3 or FFVII on the PS4 possibly, and even if they do release on PS4, they will also likely be cross-platform with PS5, which just goes to show how much the conference was deceptive, a flash in the pan and an artificial way to generate temporary good will.

Over time the excitement from the conference turned into skepticism and frustration. I'm curious to see if anyone view has changed since the hype bubble of 2015, 3 years later.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Nope. I don't want ff7 with crappy combat but shenmue is coming next year and I can't wait.

The last guardian was amazing too.

Reactions: Isa

Breakage

Shenmue 3 isn't going to be a PS5 title. It isn't a beloved title deeply linked to the PlayStation brand.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I hate when anyone reveals a game they know is many years away. Luckily for me these 2 fake reveals were for games I don't really care about.

What do you guys think about the the last guardian btw?

I remember playing it for an hour and hating it for some reason but maybe I should give it another go.

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE BLU RAY NO MATTER HOW MANY THREADS YOU REVIVE TO TRY AND BURY IT OP! THE RADIATION WILL KILL YOU FROM ILLNESS RELATED DISEASES, THERE IS NO ESCAPE.

BE A REAL MAN AND REFUTE THIS POST IMMEDIATELY. WHICH I WILL NOW DECLARE IS AN ARTICLE EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT!

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE BLU RAY NO MATTER HOW MANY THREADS YOU REVIVE TO TRY AND BURY IT OP! THE RADIATION WILL KILL YOU FROM ILLNESS RELATED DISEASES, THERE IS NO ESCAPE.

BE A REAL MAN AND REFUTE THIS POST IMMEDIATELY. WHICH I WILL NOW DECLARE IS AN ARTICLE EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT!

You and the guy with the cat avatar keep following me around without refuting anything from the article. You guys will be in trouble if you continue. This is a serious conversation about the state of the industry and dev cycles.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Jesus Christ you are a special kind of attention whore aren’t you?

Going and reviving old threads for god knows whatever reason.

You and the guy with the cat avatar keep following me around without refuting anything from the article. You guys will be in trouble if you continue. This is a serious conversation about the state of the industry and dev cycles.

390904.jpg

^Cat?

Well looks like I've been wrong this whole time, DeepEnigma DeepEnigma was not a dog, but a cat the whole time! Unless you're talking about the other guy who you were calling to "refute" your "article" who has an old man avatar, which clearly isn't a cat.

yurqqa

Ok, I get the FF 7 related rants, although It’s more Square Enid thing than Sony (FF XIII versus).
But why does anybody complain about Shenmue III ? It was a start of the Kickstarter campaign. How should’ve they start a campaign without announcing the game ?
And it was clear that it’s a start of the development and it will take time.

Three

Where is the option

" yes, because they didn't tell us the Blu-Ray discs are going to kill us"

That gets my vote.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where is the option

" yes, because they didn't tell us the Blu-Ray discs are going to kill us"

That gets my vote.

He has such a hate boner for BR, I imagine him coddling his 5 HD-DVD movies with scented candles every anniversary of it's demise.

Griffon

The Last Guardian was okay (an alright game, but I could've lived without ever playing it).
Shenmue 3 looks like it's developed by an extremely low tier developer and I don't trust the final result. It's gonna be jank to the max.
FF7 dev cycle looks like a hot mess and I expect both the gameplay and the story to be badly cobbled together, just like FFXV ended up being.

So... yeah, the hype was just that, a cheap adrenaline rush. It was exciting because of the legacy of those games, but the actual games are not living up to it.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Sony's E3 game debuts have always been about supplying list wars ammo and nothing else. A lot of the titles never materialized within any reasonable gamer's timeline.

Remember just a few:
Trico: 2 gens in the making, scrapped for the original console it was announced.
FFXV: 2 gens in the making, scrapped for the original console it was announced.
Deep Down: el oh el.
Agent: Suuure it's coming.

I look forward to the games announced during this E3 that will be released when we all have moved onto something better.

PS: I bet Microsoft has a similar list, so yep, both companies just love using deceiving marketing tactics.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Personally, I prefer devs that take the time they need to create their vision. I think Miyamoto once said that it's best to take the time that is needed because once it's released it can't change.

However, announcing so early can be misleading as some of us decide what platforms to support based on this information. On the other hand, hype is one of my favorite parts of this hobby. Tough choice.

For this particular case I don't think it's bad given that most games were multiplat so it shouldn't push anyone either way.

Bolivar687

Banned
I was never into Team Ico or Shenmue, and I never had faith in SE for a FFVII remake. Although I never had any real expectations from it, it was nonetheless such an incredible moment that I'll forever be grateful to Sony for putting on. It was such a massive love letter to the gaming community, which Nintendo and Microsoft could never pull off because of how often they recycle their franchises and rerelease their masterpieces. It showed why I'm a Sony gamer first and foremost when it comes to consoles.

Pantz

A lot of hype instantly deflated when they said something about splitting FF7R into multiple chapter releases. Shenmue hype still going strong.

They got the ball rolling on shenmue and shenmue remakes/hd ports were released so...win/win

Plus, im sure microsoft were pushed into bringing back more old ips

So again, everybody won.

I think that this is an important thread to come back to since it's been 4 years and we haven't seen either of these games except The Last Guardian which ended up unimproved from the demo.

Shenmue 3 is apparently coming out soon, but only part of the game will be Ryu's story, it's also admitted that it may be slightly rushed, and is crafted to be a lead in to a sequel.

FF7 Remake is still in the air.

The first of these games, The Last Guardian, didn't light the world on fire even with fans, and was quickly forgotten. That's a pretty bad start after all these years of waiting.

Geki-D

Banned
Why would you bump this thread just to embarrass yourself by trying to shift goalposts? TLG is out, Shenmue 3 is out in 17 days and FFVII is out in 5 months. None of them when they were announced even had release dates so no promises were made and Shenmue 3 was literally announced as a Kickstarter game so it was said from the start it wasn't even in development yet.

You originally said we may not see Shenmue 3 & FFVII on PS4 but PS5. Whoops.

Shrap

I think that this is an important thread to come back to since it's been 4 years and we haven't seen either of these games except The Last Guardian which ended up unimproved from the demo.

Shenmue 3 is apparently coming out soon, but only part of the game will be Ryu's story, it's also admitted that it may be slightly rushed, and is crafted to be a lead in to a sequel.

FF7 Remake is still in the air.

The first of these games, The Last Guardian, didn't light the world on fire even with fans, and was quickly forgotten. That's a pretty bad start after all these years of waiting.
What? FF VII remake isn't "in the air", part 1 is due out in 4 months. Shenmue 3 is out in 2 weeks and it hasn't been rushed; it's the third part of a four to five part story as Suzuki stated.

Why resurrect a thread with misrepresentation?

Most of that shit is not on Sony.
I don't know what else to say.

Everyone who knows SquareEnix for example, knows that they like to announce shit when they have literally nothing but a teaser trailer. Noone in this forum should have expected more or sooner. They're a PR firm at E3s, not devs.

It's basically more like Sony being shafted by these publishers who just can't deliver.

We already knew that FFVII development was in early stages and Shenmue 3 was a project looking for resources and funding. Games need at least 3 years to be completed, so people surprised for actually a fair development time are the ones being irrational.
The Last Guardian actually shipped and delivered. Usually games in development hell face challenges, and sure TLG had its flaws, but it was a solid game that I enjoyed a lot and one that I'm happy to have played.

MMaRsu

Banned
Not really interested in Shenmue 3

FF7 Remake is a bullshit proposition, I have 0 interest in playing an realtime action version of FF7, cut up into four or five games over the course of 10 years. Fuck off Square.. You had a chance, you fucked up it.

Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom