• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Should Sony have waited until the Fall 2021 to launch the PS5 instead?

Should Sony have waited until the Fall 2021 to launch the PS5 instead?

• Sony was right to launch the PS5 this Fall

Votes: 83 79.0%
  • Sony should have waited till next year, Fall 2021, to launch the PS5 for my business.

Votes: 22 21.0%

• Total voters
So many of you here have been complaining about the ridiculously large size of the PS5, or that you didn't see a "generational leap" visually with the PS5, so I'm wondering if you would have preferred for Sony to wait a year, and then launch the PS5 in the Fall of 2021 instead.

I mean, we all wanted a more powerful console from Sony, one that is powerful enough to convince us to adopt the latest and greatest Playstation console. Well, Sony tried to do that with the PS5. But in order for them to give us the kind of power that we all were craving for, Sony had to make the box that big in order to manage all the heat these next-gen components will generate. You can't ask for next-gen power, and then complain that the PS1 looked better than the PS5 just because the PS1 was a lot smaller. And if none of the launch lineup games interest you, would you rather Sony waited a year later to launch the PS5? So I'm asking you guys who have been complaining non-stop for the past 2 days, will you be buying the PS5 this Fall, or wait at least a year after (Fall 2021) to pick it up?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
no way. 2020 is fine.

let people piss and moan about how it looks. you all fucking cried and kicked up a fuss asking for 4k, 60fps, raytracing, ssds, and a console that doesn't sOuNd lIkE A jEt EngInE

....well a huge console is the compromise. Don't like it? well wait for the PS5 Slim.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
2020 is fine. Most launch games current gen weren't that impressive to me. I expect we will see much more impressive stuff as time moves forward, just like every other generation. Horizon, Demon's Souls and a few others showed a lot of promise. I'd rather have a smaller box, but overall it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Would waiting a year even have that much of an impact on performance and console size? Seems that for now this is the hardware that's most fitting for a game console, and it's what we're gonna be stuck with for a while. I think diminishing returns is gonna be a thing from here on out.

Would waiting a year even have that much of an impact on performance and console size? Seems that for now this is the hardware that's most fitting for a game console, and it's what we're gonna be stuck with for a while. I think diminishing returns is gonna be a thing from here on out.

I agree with the diminishing returns from here on out. Waiting a year, could give Sony and AMD more time to come up with a better solution.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nope. it's gonna be a few years before we get a more efficient version.

both zen 2 + rdna2 use 7nm processes. until they can get them down to 5nm then it won't make much difference in terms of power/heat. pcie 4.0 runs really hot to the point where PC's need fans on motherboards now so i can't see that improving until pcie 5.0 is out. even if that does happen because they are using smaller processes they'll need to come up with a more efficient cooling system so there is no guarantee that going to 5nm would mean smaller console.

it'll be 2023 at the earliest before we get a slim version imo. holding off another year won't make any difference at all.

Last edited:
I don’t think hzd2 will be a launch title...I think you will get Spider-Man and jax plus indie filler and 3rd party for 6-12 months...that extra year would give them a better launch lineup and possibly a stronger price point

Who knows....it could actually be delayed

I don’t think hzd2 will be a launch title...I think you will get Spider-Man and jax plus indie filler and 3rd party for 6-12 months...that extra year would give them a better launch lineup and possibly a stronger price point

I think you meant Rachet and Clank, but I understand what you're saying.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't matter to me since im buying both day one with Xbox Series X being my primary so let them both get released this year. Even if Sony takes months and months after Spider Man: Miles Morales to give me another exclusive, I'll still have a crap ton of games to play until then.

The console seems fine to me from what I've seen of it. Plus there was a clear demonstration on some Next Gen games and while I wish there were more of them they looked pretty good to me.

I honestly don't see the PS5 as being on par with current gen systems. It seems alot more powerful than that and I think they don't need to delay it anymore than they did.

Fine waiting til 2021 since 2020 is a write off with Coronavirus and people losing their jobs.

The limited amount of consoles vs the amount of potential customers will piss off a lot of first dayers, and we have a lot of good PS4 games coming out this year too to move on straight away.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Lolwut. A year isn't gonna make much a difference in terms of what kind of hardware components are available.

No one is gonna care about the size once they get it.

The only benefit would be more launch games, but it's PS5 is probably gonna sell out from the start, so I don't think that even matters to them. As long as 2021 is filled with a good date of games, they're sorted

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If the system and games are ready, release it now. 2020 is good. Only way to delay it is if tons of games aren't ready and they can pull off bumping up the specs. Sitting on a fully finished system for a year is weird.

I’ll be buying Day 1, because I can afford to and I want one. The sooner the better.

What to do for my next PC build, that’s a far more difficult question. Contemplating just upgrading my GPU to an RTX3080, but I am tempted to do a mini-ITX experiment...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The releases have already been getting further apart.

PS1: September 1995
*61 month gap*
PS2: October 2000
*73 month gap*
PS3: November 2006
*84 month gap*
PS4: November 2013

PS5 is in line with the gap between PS3 and PS4, which was already the longest gap.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't think it would of made a huge difference but I do have to say what we know so far it seems like they are getting some timed exclusive big games like toykyo ghostwire and the arkane game.(blanking on the name)

Makes me think they knew their launch window wasn't going to be packed so maybe waiting would of gave em the chance to have more?

NullZ3r0

Banned
Sony was obviously caught off guard by 12 TFLOP and had to do an insane overclock to get to double digits just to look competitive. That high clock is the reason for the size. If the SSD was all that great, they should have stuck to their original overclock of just 2GHz.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
This. Not gonna lie, the size is a real turn off for me. But I don't think they'd be able to make it smaller in just a year.
Not going to happen for a while. The GPU speeds are only part of the story. The 7 GBps NVME expansion storage will need GPU-like cooling so they will likely ship in an enclosure of some sort with it's own cooling fan. The box has to be big enough to accommodate that.

tasos

Sony was obviously caught off guard by 12 TFLOP and had to do an insane overclock to get to double digits just to look competitive. That high clock is the reason for the size.

I believe this is the case . But in doing so they create a problem - having a machine that is both bigger and less powerfull at the same time . Also using a big case and an elaborate and probably expensive cooling system add to the cost , and they end up with a console that is weaker than the competition . I don't know , maybe they should just put a better gpu and save themselves the headache .

yurinka

No. The size of the console is ok and people wants next gen console now. It would be a mistake to release it next year, same mistake they did with PS3. Graphical generational leap seen on Horizon, Gran Turismo or Ratchet is more than enough, specially considering the games are still under development and will have time to complete the games, improve and polish.

Obviously, some other games are crossgen and don't look as cool, or probably are games from current gent delayed and pushed to next gen, or simply they still didn't update their engines to use all the next gen stuff. It's normal, as it happen every generation.

You also have to consider something important: unlike in all the other previous console showcases, here they didn't saw target renders/CGs, "in-engine" cutscenes prerendered on the NASA computers and so on. This is the first time all game shown were running on the console's devkit, no bullshit.

This stream has been the best console showcase I remember. I never saw so many games on a console showcase. Many AAA requested sequels, new IPs from big AAA studios and very cool indies. A lot of hyping beautiful stuff. Sure, there were a few ones that weren't so cool, but it's normal because they shown over two dozens of games targeting a lot of player types, even teenage mutant singer furries. So maybe I'll love 3 or 4 game, someone else may prefer two other games, and so on.

Sony was obviously caught off guard by 12 TFLOP and had to do an insane overclock to get to double digits just to look competitive. That high clock is the reason for the size. If the SSD was all that great, they should have stuck to their original overclock of just 2GHz.
You are just mading this up. There is no source for this and anything leading to think that.

The releases have already been getting further apart.

PS1: September 1995
*61 month gap*
PS2: October 2000
*73 month gap*
PS3: November 2006
*84 month gap*
PS4: November 2013

PS5 is in line with the gap between PS3 and PS4, which was already the longest gap.
There are exactly 7 years between PS3 and PS4 release, and there will be exactly 7 years between PS4 and PS5 release. All according to keikaku.

Last edited:
I just think they should wait because of corona virus. Tons of people laid off/not working for months. People aren't going to be able to afford it or the Xbox right now.

The timing of new console launches is not great for either.

NeoROCK

No point in having a stronger launch line up. There will only be 6 mill consoles at launch. Miles Morales and the “gotta have the latest tech” factor will push the hardware until the user base is big enough for games like Horizon and GT7. I expect Horizon will be March/April and gt7 a July/August

Last edited:
Top Bottom