• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: What Next-Gen Console are You Planning to Buy, at this point?

Which Next-Gen System Do You Plan to Buy (at this point)?

• PS5

Votes: 212 44.8%
  • XSX

Votes: 118 24.9%
  • Both

Votes: 57 12.1%
  • I haven't decided yet. It depends on price and/or game lineup.

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 40 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MilkyJoe

Makes no sense. If you have a pc you have no reason to have an Xbox. And playstation exclusives on PC based on what? Horizon? lol that's delusional.
And underpower is kind of an overstatement. Based on last gen, the 35 percent power disadvantage the xbox one had was hardly much of a problem. Games ran fine, and this time, a 15 percent differential at 4k resolutions is going to be rather hard to notice. I'm far more excited to see what PS5 can do with its tech and larger memory pool compared to Xbox.

Just an FYI

The PlayStation still needs to reserve part of it's memory to the OS, the Cpu and the audio chip, just because Cerney didn't mention it, doesn't make it not a reality. If that takes 6 GB on an Xbox, you can assume it'll be neigh on the same for PlayStation.

PS memory is 256 vs SX 320 bit

PS memory is 448 gb/s vs XS 520

A hard drive, no matter how they spin it, is still a hard drive.

Bankai

It really depends on price & features for me. I would love to transfer my entire PS4 (and PS3) library over to PS5. I'm also into PSVR and would love the upgrade to more powerful hardware.

But..

When they are both priced 499euro and PS5 BC is weak, then I don't see any reason to switch over to PS5 anytime soon.

Also, I used to have a Xbox360 (and original Xbox), which I both loved. They lost my with the terrible Xbone. With a new Fable (yesssss!!!) and other great storydriven single-player exclusives, Xbox could totally win me over again. also, with their amazing BC of Xbox I could go back and play some nice Xbone games which I missed (like Gears, Forza, Ori... and of course Crackhead 3 haha).

Exciting times indeed! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Bankai

Just an FYI

The PlayStation still needs to reserve part of it's memory to the OS, the Cpu and the audio chip, just because Cerney didn't mention it, doesn't make it not a reality. If that takes 6 GB on an Xbox, you can assume it'll be neigh on the same for PlayStation.

Damn son, you keep on driving your point home don't you? This must be your 69th (gigity) post with exactly the same message. Contributing much? Must be important I guess.

Also, where are them PC warriors to CRUSH us all with their all powerful specs? Because, they wil always win. You should realize that, considering the fact that ALL Xbox Series X games CAN ALWAYS look/run better on PC.

Xbox can have my money if they deliver great SP exclusives @ The right price. When the Xbox is too expensive (500+) I might as well upgrade my gamingPC (still rocking that GTX 780ti & i5 3570k) and play it there. PS5 doesn't offer that option with their exclusives, which is a shame really.. but also their appeal.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Just an FYI

It is also possible that because PS5 have so fast SSD they could do this:

When you are gaming, ram image/snapshot of OS will be saved on the SSD = more ram for games.

With 5.5Gb/s speed it would take maybe 0.2-0.4s to read it so when user wants to see the desktop, RAM image is loaded from the SSD.

At least in theory this would leave maybe 1.5-2.5gb more of ram available

hyperbertha

Just an FYI

Yes about 6 gb is right. However the PS5 still has 8 GB left over for data which can all be used for streaming new data, whereas xbox has just 5Gb. Why does the xbox have only 5 GB? Because it's GPU pool is only 10 GB whereas ps5 has full 16 GB GPU pool. This 5GB is further divided into 2.5 + 2.5 GB for resident data (which is being rendered) and new data (which is pending to be rendered). This part is key. PS5 doesn't have to split 8 GB into 4+4GB because it has GPU cache scrubbers. This means all 8GB of its pool can be used for new data, which is what makes the difference in addition to its superior seek times from all the bottlenecks that Cerny has addressed.

MilkyJoe

It is also possible that because PS5 have so fast SSD they could do this:

When you are gaming, ram image/snapshot of OS will be saved on the SSD = more ram for games.

With 5.5Gb/s speed it would take maybe 0.2-0.4s to read it so when user wants to see the desktop, RAM image is loaded from the SSD.

At least in theory this would leave maybe 1.5-2.5gb more of ram available

It's nowhere near as fast as the memory pool.

PCs with the fastest cards will destroy these consoles on much slower SSDs, never in the history of the industry has the HDD speed made up for weaker gpu/cpu.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Damn son, you keep on driving your point home don't you? This must be your 69th (gigity) post with exactly the same message. Contributing much? Must be important I guess.

Also, where are them PC warriors to CRUSH us all with their all powerful specs? Because, they wil always win. You should realize that, considering the fact that ALL Xbox Series X games CAN ALWAYS look/run better on PC.

Xbox can have my money if they deliver great SP exclusives @ The right price. When the Xbox is too expensive (500+) I might as well upgrade my gamingPC (still rocking that GTX 780ti & i5 3570k) and play it there. PS5 doesn't offer that option with their exclusives, which is a shame really.. but also their appeal.

Probably more like 3rd, but I can't abide nonsense.

Bigrx1

Banned
Not sure, I mostly do PC gaming but will probably get one of the next-gen consoles. I don't have a preference it just depends on which one has the most games I want to play.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I might end up with with both but the XSX has a much harder path to get my money

Halo Infinite has to have a good SP
Hellblade 2 has to be good
+ 6 or 7 more quality games

I'm hoping these games get made too

Cuphead 2
Perfect Dark (3rd person)
Alan Wake 2
Ryse 2
Quantum Break 2 (no TV show)
AAA Killer Instinct
Banjo Kazooie

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That's a dumb reason. Just sayin. You have an entire generation since with little to no issue, yet you harp on 360. Really?
Xbox original i have the problem to the drive disc and believe me I keep clean my consoles. So i have 2 bad experiences with the Xbox Brand.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Xbox original i have the problem to the drive disc and believe me I keep clean my consoles. So i have 2 bad experiences with the Xbox Brand.
While the disc drive on Xbox Original and the 360 are similar. The Xbox One and Xbox One X loads similarly to Playstation. It's still illogical.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
While the disc drive on Xbox Original and the 360 are similar. The Xbox One and Xbox One X loads similarly to Playstation. It's still illogical.
Well I admit for these kind of errores I never have the Xbox One. But if they los the price when Xbox One series x come to América. I can try the Brand again with one.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well I admit for these kind of errores I never have the Xbox One. But if they los the price when Xbox One series x come to América. I can try the Brand again with one.
I've had no issues with my Xbox One or the X. But I'm just one guy. I'm not saying go out and buy one today. All I'm saying if RROD and a cleaning issue of the drive are your only reasons, it doesn't really hold water and you shouldn't deny yourself an experience based on this alone.

So you're going to ignore the biggest games of this year?

Yeah. I’ve never played Uncharted, Last Of Us, GTA 5, Red Dead Redemtpion 1 or 2, Alan Wake, Quantem Break, Resident Evil 7 etc etc etc. Don’t care zero interest in sitting in front of my TV playing a game I get no satisfaction from. I play online games mostly FPS and fighters, don’t really even play sports games anymore. I like the competitiveness, and social interaction.

Now old school quarter eater type games I still like those Cuphead was a great play through, but those type of games don’t play like single player games do now they just aren’t fun anymore.

oagboghi2

Yeah. I’ve never played Uncharted, Last Of Us, GTA 5, Red Dead Redemtpion 1 or 2, Alan Wake, Quantem Break, Resident Evil 7 etc etc etc. Don’t care zero interest in sitting in front of my TV playing a game I get no satisfaction from. I play online games mostly FPS and fighters, don’t really even play sports games anymore. I like the competitiveness, and social interaction.

Now old school quarter eater type games I still like those Cuphead was a great play through, but those type of games don’t play like single player games do now they just aren’t fun anymore.
I'm sorry, how do you know you will get zero interest from them if you never played them?

It just seems like a silly reason to deny yourself a good game.

Orta

Banned
I'd buy the Xbox purely to retire my og and 360 console. I skipped the Xbox One so there's already a large library of games available to me I've not played.

All of this of course depends upon all of my old games being compatible with it. If not I'm sticking with my PC and Nintendo hardware.

Zero interest in Sony or its ssd. I have just six PS4 games that I've barely played so I think I'll survive without another PS in my home.

Last edited:

Humdinger

The ratio of PS5 to XSX voters is now 1.43 to 1, compared to 2.26 to 1, prior to the reveal. That's a 66% reduction in the size of their lead.

So, those who said "People must've had their minds made up already" -- not so. There's been a sizeable shift in direction of the XSX, following the reveals.

I'm sorry, how do you know you will get zero interest from them if you never played them?

It just seems like a silly reason to deny yourself a good game.

Cause I’ve tried playing some that have interested me and putting time into them. The last single player game I can remember playing completely is Bioshock. I’ve played a few hours of Outlast, I played Resident Evil 7’s demo, it just all the same stuff over and over. I grew up playing just single player games everything on NES, SNES, Sega, Sega Genesis, Playstation, 3DO, PS2. I’ve played alone a lot, and seen games get easier and easier Resident Evil was great, by the time Resident Evil 3 dropped I beat it on release night in 6 hours.

Ever since I played SOCOM and Twisted Metal Black online that’s what I wanted to play. Rainbow 6 Vegas and COD only reaffirmed my position and made me miss single player games less and less.

Well you'd hope that more than 25% of hardcore gamers would be interested in one...

It's the no-exclusive/all games on PC that will seriously impact sales imo.

The no exclusives/all games on PC is really just a narrative the the hardcore gaming communities and people in the know.

Plenty of people don’t care about PC and have zero interest in playing games there.

Neofire

Getting the ps5, I have gamed on it since the brand was created, as disappointed as I am at Sony for not demonstrating the new tech in the ps5. I have faith in Cerny.

Humdinger

Well you'd hope that more than 25% of hardcore gamers would be interested in one...

It's the no-exclusive/all games on PC that will seriously impact sales imo.

It's actually 47% -- almost half -- if you include "both" and divide by #people buying (131/277 = 47%.)

So, of the ones buying a next-gen console, about half will be buying an XSX. That's pretty good, much better than 25%. It's twice that.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Series X for now, will pre-order ASAP on Amazon US (I want a Region A BD drive).
I like the looks of the controller and the console itself, nice materials used, looks classy and lot more reasons.
PS5 i'll wait and see, if they need to result to CB to get 4K/60 then I'll pass until Pro hits we'll see when it launches (Region B UHD).

Last edited:

McHuj

Right now I’m leaning towards the XSX as a mainly play third party games. I think third party is going to run best on XSX, but we’ll see.

Still waiting to see what Sony announces for games however. If they get some exclusive Japanese games or some killer first party game (non sequel) I may get that as well.

Vitter.

Voted for PS5, the first party rules, would like to see what is going to be the next Switch, loving the current console too.
Xbox has to bring the games and if they do I will get one!

Vitter.

Voted for PS5, the first party rules, would like to see what is going to be the next Switch, loving the current console too.
Xbox has to bring the games and if they do I will get one!
Best scenario would probably be:
PS5, Next Switch, PC with Gamepass.

oagboghi2

Cause I’ve tried playing some that have interested me and putting time into them. The last single player game I can remember playing completely is Bioshock. I’ve played a few hours of Outlast, I played Resident Evil 7’s demo, it just all the same stuff over and over. I grew up playing just single player games everything on NES, SNES, Sega, Sega Genesis, Playstation, 3DO, PS2. I’ve played alone a lot, and seen games get easier and easier Resident Evil was great, by the time Resident Evil 3 dropped I beat it on release night in 6 hours.

Ever since I played SOCOM and Twisted Metal Black online that’s what I wanted to play. Rainbow 6 Vegas and COD only reaffirmed my position and made me miss single player games less and less.
So you played Bioshock(a decade old game) and the demo of resident evil 7....and from that you decided you won't even try a game like Cyberpunk for example.

I'm sorry but that is just stupid

Hostile_18

Banned
The only none fan boy option IMO is to wait for the game reveals.

I was very much in the Sony camp, now with their attitude (we have the games so nothing else matters) I'm about 50/50.

The game conferences will make all the difference to me.

Codes 208

XsX to complete my my current gen set up (ps4 and switch) and ill upgrade to ps5 when the exclusives i want start coming out (like bloodborne 2)

Goliathy

Banned
All of them. Series X first for Multiplatform titles

ps5 as soon as the good exclusive games arrive. So far only Godfall has been announced and this doesn’t warrant the purchase of the console at launch.

Top Bottom