• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: When will PS5 stock be readily available?

When will PS5s be readily available (see text for definition)?

• June - Aug 2021

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Sept - Dec 2021

Votes: 54 22.3%
  • Jan - March 2022

Votes: 76 31.4%
  • April 2022 or later.

Votes: 86 35.5%

• Total voters

Humdinger

Question: When will PS5 stock be readily available? By "readily available," I mean you can just go on amazon, best buy, or gamestop's websites and order one, rather than do what you do now (stalk supply drops like a cat stalking her prey, ready to pounce).

Delete if this seems repetitive, mods. I know the same question has been asked before, but afaik, it hasn't been asked in a couple of months. I just wanted a current read. I'd like to get a PS5 myself but don't want to bother with watching for supply drops then swooping in like a hungry vulture. I am fine with waiting until they are readily available. Just trying to get a sense of when that might be.

Last edited:

OCD Guy

Next year at the earliest.

And with no end in site of lockdowns I could see intermittent availability as far as 2023 and beyond.

I sound pessimistic but I think this is life now.....

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I think they will get a bit easier to get towards the end of Summer. Then the holidays will fuck things up. I would say earlier next year to be able to walk into a store on any day and grab one.

OCD Guy

I think they will get a bit easier to get towards the end of Summer. Then the holidays will fuck things up. I would say earlier next year to be able to walk into a store on any day and grab one.
You know my worry?

The being able to walk into a shop next year here in the UK.

they’re already talking about new viruses that the vaccine can’t protect against only days after our lockdown ended lol

To be realistic you have to look at numbers. There was a time when Sony was producing a rock-solid 200k consoles per week. If they can keep that up. By July/August , I believe it would at the very least be a little bit easier to snag a console. It probably wont be until early next year until we actually see consoles sitting on shelves. But it all depends on how many consoles per week can Sony produce.

Quite the difference from a previous thread I made. I also changed my vote from Q3 2021 to Q1 2022. But honestly a safer bet is summer 2022 and even that is not guaranteed.

dczhypt-e32e0275-fec0-4ed8-af1b-3ff9a275e078.png

To be realistic you have to look at numbers. There was a time when Sony was producing a rock-solid 200k consoles per week. If they can keep that up. By July/August , I believe it would at the very least be a little bit easier to snag a console. It probably wont be until early next year until we actually see consoles sitting on shelves. But it all depends on how many consoles per week can Sony produce.
That's not a lot tbh. It works out as 10.4 million a year. A successful and available console can sell 20-25 million a year.

Last edited:
My guess is Summer 2022 before it's relatively easy. Even then it may be spotty.

Sony will possibly be releasing some big AAA games like Horizon in the fall....there will be a new Battlefield and COD....all of these will drive demand in the holiday season in through tax return season.

Demand starts to dip in the summer a bit, and by that time (hopefully) supply starts to catch up.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Isn't there still a significant chip shortage going on?

Yeah, it'll be a minute before supply gets to a decent level. I can't even find a PS4 anywhere.. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
It won't. Why would it? Even with how it is now PlayStation has reported nothing but success.
Mid 2022 is a lock

They had the same predictions a few times already and just move back the estimated date where they think you could buy one.

Last edited:

Handel

The PS5 and XSX won't be readily available until early next year, going by your definition. I think close to the holidays, around September/October you'll be able to snag one of the new consoles so long as you just check semi-regularly, with the availability lasting hours rather than minutes, but then the holidays will come and things will revert. Just casually getting one off of Amazon will be a year from now at the least.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I would say late 2022 at best. They've made around 7.4M consoles during last fiscal year, now they're aiming for 14.8M this fiscal year. That number is decent but that costs more than $7.4B to make 14.8M PS5's + logistics, but demand will be much higher than that. I think if they can manage making 30M consoles by next year (costs ~$15 billion USD / year, of course the net loss is less than $3B) and wafers and other parts are available then it'll be possible to be readily available.

Next year will have massive titles like God of War, and PS exclusive will only pile up with each year driving demand higher than ever.

200.gif

Last edited:

Xyphie

MS/Sony won't be able to buy more wafers for chips than their absolute contractual minimums with AMD, so until they can order more, or they meet demand with theír allotment there's not going to be much stock. Just not any sense selling anything to them when you can yield at least 2x ROI per mm^2 with CPUs/GPUs.

Last edited:

Elios83

Sony already stated that the plan for the next fiscal year is to sell at least the same number of PS5s as PS4s.
So they're basically planning to sell at least 15m consoles between April 2021 and March 2022.
IMO things should get better during summer because of people wanting to enjoy the summer with less coronavirus related restrictions, less games will be released and Sony will have an increased production.
Things will definetly get ugly again during fall and holiday season though.
On April 28th if Sony gives their FY2021 forecast (it might be delayed until May) we might have a clearer picture about where prouction is headed.

saintjules

Probably by mid 2022 to be able to walk into a store to get one or online with little issue.

Many have expressed their thoughts on saying they were waiting while they play with their PS4 backlog anyway. So I assume the wait doesn't matter for most.

Last edited:

T-Cake

So do you think the unavailability of these consoles will prolong the generation so the PS6 and Xbox Series 2 X (or whatever they call it) won't be with us until 2030?

Enjay

Banned
So do you think the unavailability of these consoles will prolong the generation so the PS6 and Xbox Series 2 X (or whatever they call it) won't be with us until 2030?
We're already seeing games be pushed back over it. I'm still betting we see a stripped down ratchet and clank ps4 port.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
With how much they are putting out now...I wanna say the end of the year.

zcaa0g

Banned
1st quarter of next year. That should be a point where just enough people have them in conjunction with scalping slowing way down due to the former.

The core demographic will be served before production volume reaches an old "normal". Because of this, consoles will be available before the whole Covid related issues are resolved. That's my assumption. Guessing late '21 - early/mid '22.

HarryKS

Here's the truth: I have never seen an actual live PS5 with my own eyes. Just pictures and videos of it. Never seen the box nor the console tself non-virtually.

Zoro7

Banned
So glad I managed to pick mine up day one. Stay strong those waiting, it’s defo worth the wait!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Between COVID and the chip shortage my guess is that an extra year will be added to this generation.

Most game development has been delayed 4-12 months across the board and you can’t hardly get a Series X or PS5 much less a 3000 series graphics card.

PC gaming in particular is in for a rough time because the high end gamer will be even more niche than usual for a few years. I can see a scenario where PC versions are more commonly delayed 12 months after console release again as developers wait for the average graphics card to get more powerful.

But I also think that even more stripped down PS4/XB1 ports are just as likely which would still mean PC versions being made. So who knows?

In hindsight launching a new console generation during a worldwide pandemic that‘s greatly effecting all manufacturers around the world is beyond stupid. They should‘ve just delayed the launch for a year.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Here's the truth: I have never seen an actual live PS5 with my own eyes. Just pictures and videos of it. Never seen the box nor the console tself non-virtually.
I've never seen an actual Series S live with my own eyes. Same for the PS5DE.

I know they exist tho.

In hindsight launching a new console generation during a worldwide pandemic that‘s greatly effecting all manufacturers around the world is beyond stupid. They should‘ve just delayed the launch for a year.
Consoles are being bought. Next gen versions of games are being bought.

PS5 accessories are being bought.

Both companies did fine to launch when they did.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I don't necessarily need a new console but I'm afraid my base PS4 is going to shit the bed before I can get a replacement. It's chugging nowadays and the amount of time it takes to switch applications is getting longer. Only a matter of time before it doesn't start up

Humdinger

Hmm. Two-thirds of the people say it won't be until Q1 2022, at the earliest, and about half of them say it'll be later than that.

That's a long time to wait, but I guess I'm ok with it. I have a few games I'm holding off on, because I want to play them on a PS5, but no "must plays," and I've still got some stuff to keep me occupied on the PS4.

Top Bottom