• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Which 9th-Generation video-game console do you intend to purchase?

Which console do you intend to purchase?

• Xbox Series X

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Xbox Series S

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 86 50.9%
  • PlayStation 5 Digital Edition

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Xbox Series X & PlayStation 5

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • Xbox Series X & PlayStation 5 Digital Edition

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Xbox Series S & PlayStation 5

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Xbox Series S & PlayStation 5 Digital Edition

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Due to the reveal of the alternate version of the PlayStation 5, the Digital Edition, and the increasingly believable rumors that there will be an alternate version of the Xbox Series X, the Series S, a poll that includes these alternate versions is in order. Such a poll will provide a more accurate analysis of console-gamers' intentions in regard to which machine(s) they will buy this fall and onward until the 10th generation of consoles arrive.

Damn, you replied fast.

tumblr_n80aolsadc1tb9ynso1_500.gif

llien

Will wait to hear more (pun intended) about PS5. Normally would go with Sony, this time around, will consider MS.

Kuranghi

PS5 baby bring it on. And none of that digital malarkey. physicalmedia4lyf

"People who buy digital only will end up LIVING IN VAAAANN... DOWN BY THE RIVER!"

I just can't see why I'd pay £5-10 more instead of walking a mile from my house to buy it physically. I don't leave the house enough as it is lol

PS5 with disc drive at some point, unless Sony starts releasing everything on PC too, in which case I'll just get a bitching PC.

Also Switch 2 at some point.

Astral Dog

Im not sure honestly, i will wait a couple years to see what happens, everything seems so uncertain now.

Also waited this gen until REVII was out but i knew i was going to buy a PS4

However it has to play disks, none of that Digital only bullshit

Last edited:
"People who buy digital only will end up LIVING IN VAAAANN... DOWN BY THE RIVER!"

I just can't see why I'd pay £5-10 more instead of walking a mile from my house to buy it physically. I don't leave the house enough as it is lol

To each their own I guess but for me, when I'm done with a game I'm done. Very little (if any) chance that I'll go back to it so I'd rather trade it in or sell it and use the dough towards another game. I'd feel like such a fuckin muppet paying $90 for a game, beating it and then having it just sit in the digital ether forever.

Aranea

PS5 that can play disc. Most games this gen are timed exclusive on the PS4 and i think that will continue on the PS5.

Kuranghi

I'm pretty sure we had a topic like this every week for the last few months...

Ps5 here, i already have a pc for microsoft games.

tenor.gif

Seriously though, I feel the same, I really need to see that the XSX will run games at native 4K60 + good RT for me to be interested, because I probably won't get an RTX 30-series til summer 2021 when its a bit cheaper, due to buying a PS5 at the end of the year. Although if the PS5 doesn't have some really exciting BC or ultra-must-have-right-now-gimme-it launch titles, I'll just upgrade the rest of my PC in the winter, but wait til 2021 for new GPU.

I can already run 99% of games in 4K30/60 with slightly optimised settings on a GTX 1080, I don't know if RT is worth buying a console for, which will have 20% more games than the PC versions of the same titles. Wait, even then I wouldn't buy an XSX because I know I'm gonna get a PS5 first AND upgrade my PC before anything else.

So I guess if it has amazing BC and native 4K@60 + RT me I might buy it... when its £250 lol

GymWolf

tenor.gif

Seriously though, I feel the same, I really need to see that the XSX will run games at native 4K60 + good RT for me to be interested, because I probably won't get an RTX 30-series til summer 2021 when its a bit cheaper, due to buying a PS5 at the end of the year. Although if the PS5 doesn't have some really exciting BC or ultra-must-have-right-now-gimme-it launch titles, I'll just upgrade the rest of my PC in the winter, but wait til 2021 for new GPU.

I can already run 99% of games in 4K30/60 with slightly optimised settings on a GTX 1080, I don't know if RT is worth buying a console for, which will have 20% more games than the PC versions of the same titles. Wait, even then I wouldn't buy an XSX because I know I'm gonna get a PS5 first AND upgrade my PC before anything else.

So I guess if it has amazing BC and native 4K@60 + RT me I might buy it... when its £250 lol
No chance in hell that sex can run big heavy games at 4k60 with rtx so it's not even a doubt for me.

And if they do, it will probably be everything on low details compared to pc version.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

No chance in hell that sex can run big heavy games at 4k60 with rtx so it's not even a doubt for me.

And if they do, it will probably be everything on low details compared to pc version.

shhhhh... I know... I'm being overly fair so I don't get the lunatics attention... 🤫

Daymos

I'll probably get the ps5 eventually, no reason to buy both of them. The tech doesn't really interest me though so I'll be waiting a few years for the system to get down to a cheaper price. In the meantime I've got a switch and ps4 pro, and I still play ps3 and 3ds a fair amount too.

I play alot of JRPGs so ps2/3/4 that's been a reason to buy Sony over MS, I don't see that changing with the ps5. I'm in a niche that neither Sony nor MS really care about.

Last edited:
The Sony tilt on GAF is very interesting to me.

I've seen a handful of polls on tech oriented sites (TechPowerUp, Anand tech, Extremetech, etc) with far more responses (in the thousands per poll) which seem to indicate this coming console generation is going to be a 50/50 split. In these other polls I've seen so far, there seems to be a slight preference for the XseX by about 50.5% vs PS5 at 49.5%.

Of course, even larger polls should be taken with a grain of salt. And polls on GAF with such a low sample size have almost no statistical relevance at all. But the polls on here ARE interesting at least from the standpoint that there seem to be a lot more Sony centric users here vs Xbox users.

Bogey

Banned
I'm not entirely sure if I'll buy either.

If I do - I'd have to say PS5. It'd pain me to opt for the weaker hardware here, but their usual exclusives would just be the tipping point for me.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
At the moment both (assuming Halo Infinite isn't shit) but we still know so little about either console.

I'll need to see prices, release dates and launch lineups first. I may end up buying both at launch or neither.

Certainly will buy a PS5, leaning toward digital edition. Unlikely I will buy a Series X, knowing most games will be playable on PC anyway, which is where I'd prefer them TBH. If Sony did the same I'd probably not buy their console either.

Both SeX and PS5 DE (disc edition that is).

I still don't know which one will go first though. If only we'd have a price. And date. And launchgames...

Humdinger

Here are some previous poll results, framed in terms of PS5 to XSX ratio:

Jan 2020, prior to the spec reveals: 2.26 to 1

Late March 2020, right after Cerny's reveal of PS5: 1.5 to 1

April 2020, after the dust settled a bit: 2.09 to 1

(I could link to those polls, if anyone needs me to.)

We could consider this one a sample of how people feel after Sony's presentation. I'll calculate a ratio once there are enough votes.

May I suggest we include "undecided" as a category? I think a lot of people are still undecided at this point. I know I am.

The Sony tilt on GAF is very interesting to me.

I've seen a handful of polls on tech oriented sites (TechPowerUp, Anand tech, Extremetech, etc) with far more responses (in the thousands per poll) which seem to indicate this coming console generation is going to be a 50/50 split. In these other polls I've seen so far, there seems to be a slight preference for the XseX by about 50.5% vs PS5 at 49.5%.

Of course, even larger polls should be taken with a grain of salt. And polls on GAF with such a low sample size have almost no statistical relevance at all. But the polls on here ARE interesting at least from the standpoint that there seem to be a lot more Sony centric users here vs Xbox users.

Do those tech sites tend to be inhabited mostly by people from US and UK? If so, that might explain it. The PS and Xbox ratio in those territories is pretty close to 50/50. I think GAF has a more globally representative audience -- not sure if that's true, but that's my impression. That could be part of the difference, since globally the preference is about 2 to 1 this gen (roughly matching the ratio of GAF polling preference).

As for "no statistical relevance," that depends on what you're making an inference to. If to the global population, or to US population, no, of course not. But if you're just trying to get a sense of GAF members' preference, then it's a decent gauge. I think that's all a reasonable person would infer from the results -- that GAF, by somewhere around a 1.5 to 2 to 1 margin, tends to lean toward Sony. That wouldn't be a surprise to anyone who's hung out here for a while. There are still lots of Xbox-only guys and lots of multiconsole users to balance things out, though.

Should be interesting to see if MS can shift the balance with their presentation.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
FAT PS5 DAY ONE BABAYYYYYYYYYYY

Will buy lockhart + game pass if it's £200.

Last edited:
Top Bottom