• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Which Next-Gen Console are You Buying?

Which Next-Gen Console are You Planning on Buying?

• PS5

Votes: 400 59.9%
  • XSX

Votes: 69 10.3%
  • Both

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • Neither - at least not for the first year or so

Votes: 109 16.3%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 28 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Neither

I hate Playstation exclusives and I already own an Xbox One X and as far as I can tell series X is just an xcloud/gamepass box

Poop!

Polls like this need to show where the voter lives. Sony is stronger in Europe than in the US where the Xbox brand is stronger.

Personally, I only play US/EU third party developed games and have a ton of friends still on XBL from the 360 days. So I'm getting the Xbox first at launch, then PS5 a few years later when it's more established.

Last edited:

sendit

No questions asked, PS5 for exclusives. I have a monster PC for third party games and Xbox exclusives.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
No questions asked, PS5 for exclusives. I have a monster PC for third party games and Xbox exclusives.

Then you are both Microsoft and Sony customer even if you don’t buy Microsoft new console. As long as you pay for Gamepass.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

PS5 on day 1 hopefully.

After buying an og X1 I'm not trusting MS with day 1 hardware anymore, and frankly nothing they've shown seems good.

faisalasif

I was thinking to buy both of console Ps5 and xbox series X but after xbox showcase event I rather buy Ps5 instead of spending money on xbox series X .
specially after watching halo infinite revealed gameplay .

sendit

Then you are both Microsoft and Sony customer even if you don’t buy Microsoft new console. As long as you pay for Gamepass.

Correct. I'm also a Microsoft customer because I use Windows OS to game. What is your point? This is about which next gen console you're getting.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Correct. I'm also a Microsoft customer because I use Windows OS to game. What is your point? This is about which next gen console you're getting.

What I am getting at is that it’s not Console vs Console anymore. That’s why Microsoft focus was Gamepass. That’s what they are selling primarily. A service. Sony focus is their next-gen console, the PS5. That’s why Microsoft release games day 1 on PC with Gamepass and moving away from exclusives. They are not pushing you to buy the console but to buy the service. That’s why the question is flawed because you are playing Microsoft games day one on a device you already own.

sendit

What I am getting at is that it’s not Console vs Console anymore. That’s why Microsoft focus was Gamepass. That’s what they are selling primarily. A service. Sony focus is their next-gen console, the PS5. That’s why Microsoft release games day 1 on PC with Gamepass and moving away from exclusives. They are not pushing you to buy the console but to buy the service. That’s why the question is flawed because you are playing Microsoft games day one on a device you already own.

Im fully aware of what Microsoft is doing. However, this isn’t about gamepass. This thread is about which console you’re buying.

Codes 208

The so-so presentation from both sides has actually convinced me to upgrade my PC.

But if I had to choose: probably the ps5? Depends. If demon souls is a launch window title then fuck yeah, otherwise meh.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Ratio is 3.87 to 1 PS > Xbox (with 480 votes), down from 4.3 to 1 earlier (at 300 votes). Still very unbalanced in the Sony direction, compared to previous GAF polls, which tended to be about 2 to 1.

These poll results are probably unduly influenced by proximity to the MS showcase and being colored by many people's disappointment over that. Disappointment will fade with time, though, and we still have 3 or 4 months to go, with plenty of things yet to be revealed (additional games, information about services, price, etc.).

I think this is a low point for Xbox on next-gen GAF polls. It will rebound. By the time November rolls around -- and probably much sooner -- we'll be back to the usual 2 to 1 ratio on GAF. That's what I would predict, anyhow.

If Sony reintroduce backwards compatibility for PS4, PS3, even PS2 and PS1 and also let me play my playstation network games which I bought years ago, then I might get the PS5. But I am basically a PC gamer now. I skipped this generation of consoles. No more year one purchases for me.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Jesus at those numbers. PS5 is going to be huge this holiday

And I know these aren't fully indicative

teezzy

Banned
Series X has way more that I want to play on it, and I say this as someone with a solid ass PC. Plus, both of my current XB1 controllers will work with it for local multiplayer. Couldn't be more win/win for me.

If it's not on PC or Xbox then I don't really care at this point. I have too much to play anyhow.

You value a poll because it fit your narrative, and can’t see the forest for the trees.

I would argue that reddit membership numbers is a better indicator because these people actively sought out the group and subscribed to be engaged. Long term interest.

Meanwhile, polls which we see all the time are a one and done thing. Opinions change from day to day. You took a snapshot of how people were feeling that week based on what Austin Evans said (for example).

All I’m saying is look at all the data. Polls aren’t the only thing. Google trends, reddit memberships, Facebook groups, polls, etc.. these are all things to track if you’re genuinely interested in statistics.

"Narrative". 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

Give me a fucking break.

See kids, this is what happens when we defund education and don't put an emphasis on SCIENCE or STEM.

Hint: it's called MATH. And, like science, it has actual real world, predictive value proven millions of times over. "Reddit activity" does not.

Your bullshit about "narratives" and "Can't see the forest", etc... is some cringe worthy, world class projection on your part. 😅You are literally willing to discount polls with THOUSANDS of responses on other tech sites that has actual statistical significance because it doesn't fit YOUR narrative. Meanwhile, a poll on GAF with 400 responses (🤦‍♂️) and Reddit is your Bible.

Feel free to continue to engage in superstition. You people are hilarious. 🤦‍♂️😅

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Series X at launch and a PS5 a bit later
Wow what happened to all the X-box fans? Wasnt the last poll closer to 50/50? Surely Halo couldn't of changed things that much.

I guess the pendulum could swing a lot from here to launch again.
Lol was never a poll on gaf that was 50/50. Never ever lol

Last edited:
Polls like this need to show where the voter lives. Sony is stronger in Europe than in the US where the Xbox brand is stronger.

Personally, I only play US/EU third party developed games and have a ton of friends still on XBL from the 360 days. So I'm getting the Xbox first at launch, then PS5 a few years later when it's more established.

Polls like the one on GAF are largely USELESS because they are not randomly sampled and they have a paltry number of respondents, which taken together means that polls like this are certainly not representative of the general buying public. They are representative ONLY of focused populations in which ~80% of respondents lean Sony. It's as simple as that. People who take actual real world value from a poll like this (or, say, "Reddit activity") are in need of basic statistical education.

Last edited:

tav7623

At first, I was leaning heavily towards the Series X, mainly because of Hellblade 2, Halo Infinite, & it having full X1/limited 360 & OG Xbox BC (which is more than whatever the f**k Sony is doing with it's half @$$ed partial PS4 BC) but after the disappointing "3rd Party" and "1st Party" Xbox "Games" Showcases I'm honestly now leaning more towards the PS5 even though it doesn't feature the full PS1-PS4 BC that it (imo) should have day one. Though with time running out both Sony & Microsoft have (imo) one last chance with their rumored August events to win me over.

Microsoft can do it with the following:
1. announce the Series X will cost $400
2. Online multiplayer now free/no need for Xbox Live subscription for online play
3. start showing actual gameplay running on the Series X
4. stop advertising the GamePass BS and start advertising the Series X as well as Series X exclusive titles (though given that MS seems to have their heads up their @$$es 3 of these 4 are more than likely longshots)

For Sony to win me over they need to:
1. announce that the rumored unannounced game being made by Mark Cerny is a Jak & Daxter revival/reboot (also when they announce it there better be some f****ng gameplay :p)
2. announce BC (ala the Xbox method where you pop in the disk, it downloads a digital copy, and then uses the disk as an authentication/activation key) for physical PS1-PS2 games (PS3 would also be nice but given how "difficult" it is to emulate I can deal if it's not available) and if you already own a game digitally on PSN you can just download it & play along with full PS4 BC
3. announce a $400/$450 price point for the PS5 disk version
4. announce/show of a sleek black variant of the disk version of the system

Last edited:
I'm currently playing through A plague tale: innocence on PC in native 4k and it wipes the floor with this stuff.

Sony's development teams do a great job with the hardware they have at their disposal but don't start a gun fight with a knife.
This right here is a lie. A plagues tale looks okay at best and animation wise if ps2 levels of terrible.

GHG

Gold Member
This right here is a lie. A plagues tale looks okay at best and animation wise if ps2 levels of terrible.

It's easy to spot people who have never actually played it maxed out in PC when this nonsense is spouted.

The two games I'm currently playing are GoT and A Plague Tale and the latter is more impressive (and more consistent) visually.

-hadouken

Was leaning towards Series X. I think it's a beautiful and functional design - the better hardware. After seeing Halo and the emphasis on Game Pass over XBL Gold, the PS5 is looking like the way to go for me. I'm not comfortable paying for a Game Pass sub to play the handful of games that I love online. From a design point the PS5 looks like a junior university project, and I'm concerned about the noise and heat - but it feels like the true next gen future of console games.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I voted PlayStation. It is likely I will eventually buy an XSX. Maybe when they get around to releasing Forza. I've owned every Xbox they released... and what I appreciate most from them is their support for backward compatibility. If we get interesting news before launch about how 3rd party games are running that might confuse the decision... or cause me to buy an XSX much sooner.

Patterson

"Narrative". 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

Give me a fucking break.

See kids, this is what happens when we defund education and don't put an emphasis on SCIENCE or STEM.

Hint: it's called MATH. And, like science, it has actual real world, predictive value proven millions of times over. "Reddit activity" does not.

Your bullshit about "narratives" and "Can't see the forest", etc... is some cringe worthy, world class projection on your part. 😅You are literally willing to discount polls with THOUSANDS of responses on other tech sites that has actual statistical significance because it doesn't fit YOUR narrative. Meanwhile, a poll on GAF with 400 responses (🤦‍♂️) and Reddit is your Bible.

Feel free to continue to engage in superstition. You people are hilarious. 🤦‍♂️😅
Get some help.

benjohn

I'm mostly a PC gamer so XSX is not must-buy for me. Not that XSX' looking hot anyway. PS5 on the other is looking more and more promising.

Why bother getting the Xbox right away when everything coming can be played on pc. I’m getting ps5 first then eventually get an Xbox, next gen should have a new feel to it and not be a rehash.

Get some help.

🤣🤦‍♂️ You first.

The first outlet for those with weak minds and a lack of education when they lose an argument is to attack the messenger. Everything I've said is based on fact. Everything you've said was apparently pulled straight from your ass.

Now kindly go take a long walk off a short plank. 👋🏼 😎

Last edited:
It's easy to spot people who have never actually played it maxed out in PC when this nonsense is spouted.

The two games I'm currently playing are GoT and A Plague Tale and the latter is more impressive (and more consistent) visually.
I've played it maxed out on pc via gamepass and I was thoroughly unimpressed. So much so that i stopped playing after a few hours and uninstalled the game. Don't try and pass your opinion off as fact, its poor form.

Barakov

Still undecided. I'm still waiting to see what both of them are launching with. Although, right now I'm leaning towards the PS5.

GHG

Gold Member
I've played it maxed out on pc via gamepass and I was thoroughly unimpressed. So much so that i stopped playing after a few hours and uninstalled the game. Don't try and pass your opinion off as fact, its poor form.

Ah yes, the classic "I played this game for 5 minutes so I think I know what I'm talking about".

Read the Steam reviews, people are mentioning the visuals. Read through the OT for the game here:

Again, people are talking about being impressed by the visuals.

A few screenshots from my current playthrough:

APlague-Tale-Innocence227.png

APlague-Tale-Innocence183.png

APlague-Tale-Innocence189.png

Sorry your computer couldn't do the game justice.

Ah yes, the classic "I played this game for 5 minutes so I think I know what I'm talking about".

Read the Steam reviews, people are mentioning the visuals. Read through the OT for the game here:

Again, people are talking about being impressed by the visuals.

A few screenshots from my current playthrough:

APlague-Tale-Innocence227.png

APlague-Tale-Innocence183.png

APlague-Tale-Innocence189.png

Sorry your computer couldn't do the game justice.

It's a beautiful game any way you slice it. People with an agenda or an argument on the internet to win will make up or justify just about anything and then tell us "don't believe our lying eyes".

someone with decent pc..no need to buy xsx since most of their game come to pc anway

I have three (soon to be four) good HTPCs in the house (Ryzen 3400G, 3600 w/ 1650, 3600 w/ RTX 2060...upgrading the first to the 6/12 or 8/16 core Renoir variant soon, upgrading the latter GPU to RTX 3070 eventually). I really enjoy PC gaming.

But, as a family, we enjoy playing on consoles more. We get more use out of our Xbox systems than any other, but our Switches and PS4 Pro are great for their exclusives.

Having said that, XseX is a must buy for us. There will always be games that are better on one platform and sometimes the best way to play is PC. But most of the time when we play together we find that playing on console is preferable. And for us the Xbox ecosystem and backwards compatibility is superior (as well as the Elite controllers). We don't care that most games will be on PC. We'd rather play on console much of the time. It's as simple as that.

HelpYouFall

Both, just like current gen

- PS5 for the great exclusives and multiplat games most of my friends will play
- X Series X for exclusives with GamePass and for singleplayer non exclusives for best performance
- Cringe at & ignore all the dumb console war bullshit and just play everything

Never been a better time to enjoy games!

Humdinger

Wow PS5 is beating XSX by over 6:1 ratio! And I though NeoGAF was a pretty xbox friendly place.

It's actually a 3.6 to 1 ratio. You have to include the "both" votes in your calculations.

Several previous polls this year have shown about a 2 to 1 ratio (PS5 > XSX). That is probably an accurate gauge of how GAF typically leans (it's also how the world leaned this gen, so the "SonyGAF" meme is a bit of a stretch).

I think this poll is going to turn out to be a negative outlier for Xbox, coming as it does just a few days after their reveal, which many found disappointing. GAF can be very reactive sometimes. I expect that, after the dust settles and we get closer to launch, it will get back to the usual 2 to 1 ratio. But we shall see.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with console sales anymore. Microsoft has been very clear about that. If you play on PC with gamepass then it is a console sale for them.

Top Bottom