• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[POLL] Which of Playstation's list of long defunct IPs you would like to see resurrected?

Which one of Playstation's list of defunct IPs you would like to see resurrected?

• Alundra

• Arc the Land

• Tomba!

• Dark Cloud

• Omega Boost

• The Legend of Dragoon

• Kingsley's Adventure

• Wild ARMS

• Syphon Filter

• Siren

• Folklore

• Other (write your choice)

Results are only viewable after voting.

SilentUser

I would love to see the return of Sony RPGs with the massive pedigree of storytelling they developed in the recent years. Start with a reboot of Legend of Dragoon! Or simply start a completely new RPG (but that's off topic)

Of those, Wild Arms an awesome JRPG and not enough games use thw wild West as inspiration, Siren,because we need more third person horrors, and Filklore, because it's brilliant, original, gorgeous and would benefit greatly from both a polish and a more fantasy/colour friendly modern audience.

Bonus shout out to G Police and Colony Wars, both of which I'm astonished haven't already been revived for PSVR.

Dargor

hqdefault.jpg

Give me a Final Burst or give me death!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Most of the games OP mentioned and also same way Miyazaki collaborated with Studio Japan to make Bloodborne, I like to see someone like Yoko Taro work with Studio Japan for new IP.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Another one would be The Getaway. It would cost a lot, but in today's market an AAA open world game with the value of sony first paty effort would be seriously big. Also they could bank on the longer and longer development cycles at Rockstar. The more serious, realistic, cinematic style of the game would be superb on today's technology.

It's kind of weird; there were tons of GTA clones during the PS2 and PS3 era (True Crime, The Getaway, Saints Row, Mafia, Driver), but with the exception of Watchdogs it seems those kinds of games are no longer being made; we didn't even get GTA6 this gen! It seems the open world formula is now mainly being used in fantasy or historical settings.

So I agree, a revival of the Getaway IP on PS5 could be big, much bigger than it ever was on PS2. I don't know who would develop such a project though. Is Sony's London studio still capable of something like this?

Bolivar687

Banned
Kinda newer but I would love to see a new stab at MAG. They could barely get this thing above 20fps but I think now you could at least go for more modest visual fidelity and have a locked 30fps game.

I would hate to think Killzone is a decomissioned IP but that would be my next pick and definitely Motorstorm.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png

I've always been a sucker for RPG combat systems with timing-based inputs or other such things. I wish the battle system was given more time to shine. Never played the sequel but I heard it wasn't as good.

Also voted for Dark Cloud (the market would probably love it) and Folklore (wish we could've seen a better-polished sequel)

quick EDIT: oh and a proper Patapon 4, please.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

White Knight Chronicles would be nice to revive (don't know if it is a Sony IP), but I don't trust current Japan Studio to do much more than the Astro Bot game during next gen. That Studio seems to be like 30 people working taking turns on 2 computers and the other few hundred watching.

I wanted to see most of these games return for a long time.

Alundra - I always liked the idea of entering someone's dream to fight whatever is afflicting the person you are trying to help. Gameplay was simple and fun. Except the jumping parts. That sucked.

Tomba! - Both games were just fun platformers. I wanted to see a third game for a while. Too bad the company folded after the sequel.

Dark Cloud - I bought first Dark Cloud around the time the PS2 came out. Who knew running around dungeons and trying to put together perfect town would be so much fun. Part 2 was just as fun as the first game and I liked the change in the art style.

The Legend of Dragoon - This was one of the most wanted games when it came to sequels. Combat was fun, I liked the characters and the game had a killer soundtrack.

Siren - One of the scariest games I played at the time. I would love to see another.

Folklore - Fun original game. The world and characters were vibrant. I'll even be happy with a remake/remaster.

Angelcurio

So little love for Alundra and Wild Arms. Coming from the Snes era, and watching the Wild Arms character models in towns, definitely felt like an upgrade. Alundra also felt like the mature themed Zelda game, that Nintendo would never make.

Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png

I've always been a sucker for RPG combat systems with timing-based inputs or other such things. I wish the battle system was given more time to shine. Never played the sequel but I heard it wasn't as good.

Also voted for Dark Cloud (the market would probably love it) and Folklore (wish we could've seen a better-polished sequel)

quick EDIT: oh and a proper Patapon 4, please.
The combat was one of my favorite parts of Legend of Legaia. I liked stringing together different button combinations to try their secret combos.

CamHostage

The poll is pretty loaded with JRPGs and that's not much my interest, so I'm here for the replies more than the choices. But I would like to see Sony go backwards into its vaults a little more this generation and pull out some brands that have promise. Even recent stuff like Puppeteer, Patapon, LocoRoco, or another Oreshika, a little bit of Beats or EyePet or SingStar for the casuals, maybe even something wild like Pursuit Force or Mark of Kri. Not only is nostalgia in for those PS2/PSP/PS3-era games, but there's some great concepts and icons in there that would be great to see.

Who ever is in charge for remakes at Sony, please consult this thread or ask me. NO MORE MEDIEVAL CRAP

I like Medievil kind of (more conceptually than in execution), but it is strange that out of all of its brands, Sony has resurrected Medievil twice, once on PSP and then recently on PS4.

That, and also Hardware strangely got done twice (Hardware Rivals on PS4 and then before that Fired Up on PSP was basically a portable Hardware spinoff.)

Fucking TOMBA made it but not SOCOM. Am I missing something here?

You're missing two pretty danged sweet Tomba games, apparently...

This world needs hoverbikes.

By the way, it may be fun to see some art and concept goofing by professional graphic designer Ian Galvin. He did a design doc and a bunch of vehicle renders (some are more Wipeout than Jet Moto, but others are quite good.) There's also a Steam game that's rudimentary in graphics but is otherwise a tribute to Jet Moto, but the real thing would greatly benefit from next-gen treatment in making the world real while having the physics go wild again.

Rudius

What I want is a new traditional Twisted Metal, similar to the PS1 entries, with levels from aroundthe world, but modernaized with great physics, destructible environments and full FAT VR support.

That Kingsley game would be a good fit for VR as well, just do it similar to Moss.

Top Bottom