• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[POLL] Which of Playstation's list of long defunct IPs you would like to see resurrected?

Which one of Playstation's list of defunct IPs you would like to see resurrected?

• Alundra

• Arc the Land

• Tomba!

• Dark Cloud

• Omega Boost

• The Legend of Dragoon

• Kingsley's Adventure

• Wild ARMS

• Syphon Filter

• Siren

• Folklore

• Other (write your choice)

Results are only viewable after voting.

sublimit

Banned
Playstation has a long history of first and second party IPs which for one reason or another they have became defunct. Some were succesful others not so much while others became cult classics.

My question is do you think any of those IPs have the potential for a succesful come back? You have the choice for 3 votes.

Here are some of them:
Alundra
maxresdefault.jpg

alundra-TEST.jpg

The gameplay style is top-down action-adventure, with a heavy emphasis on puzzle solving.[6] A range of terrain and surfaces affect the player character, from sand, which causes the player character to move more slowly, to lava, which damages the player character. Upgrades throughout the game can help the player overcome many of these obstacles, encouraging exploration.

Arc The Land
ps1_arc_the_lad_collection_p_voa676.jpg

slus-01224-game-ss-7

Arc the Lad is a tactical RPG. In battle, the player has an area where each character may move, much like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre. The areas the player can move are marked by blue tiles, and when using a melee attack on an enemy, the player can attack an enemy at any side the player can reach, and a cursor will be above the enemy to let the player know that he can attack the enemy. If the player uses magic or special abilities to attack the enemy, there will be a red set of tiles that show the player the range in which the spell or attack will reach. Unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, Arc the Lad is not isometric, therefore all tiles are the same size and shape.

Kingsley's Adventure
61V6HPANGSL._SX466_.jpg

518S8BX25DL.jpg

The game features four weapons, an axe, a sword, a crossbow and a dagger as weapons that the player can use.[2][3] A shield can also be used to defend against attacks.[4] There are fifty characters that the player can interact with, and nine boss characters as well.[2] The game also features five magic spells.[2]

Tomba!
Tomba%21_NTSC.png

tomba-03.png

Tomba! is a platform-adventure game with RPG elements.[1][2] The player controls the titular character Tomba, who must explore his home island, defeat the evil Koma Pigs and recover his grandfather's golden bracelet.[3] The semi-open world can be explored freely once the areas are unlocked as the story progresses.[1] Tomba is capable of moving left and right across the screen, although he can occasionally move between the foreground and background and explore each as separate areas. Some areas in the game enable the player to explore them in an isometric view, allowing Tomba to move around freely.[4] Along with the ability to jump, Tomba can attack enemy characters by leaping onto their back, biting into them and tossing them in a straightforward trajectory.[5] Tomba can increase the variety in his offensive measures by obtaining weapons such as flails and boomerangs.[6] Signposts scattered throughout the environment state how to use the game's controls and abilities,[7] while a select few can be used to save the player's progress.[8]

Syphon Filter
ps1_syphon_filter_p_z9ogm3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The game is presented in a third-person perspective, and the player can freely move in three-dimensional space and rotate the camera in any direction. The top left corner of the screen interface shows the status of Logan's armour, a 'danger-meter' which rises as the player engages enemies through combat, and a target lock. A radar is displayed in the bottom left corner of the screen which shows the location of various objects including friendly units, enemies, weapon pick ups or mission objectives.[2] The current weapon equipped is always displayed in the bottom right corner, with the ammunition count. Depending on the weapon used, the camera will shift to first-person mode to assist in aiming.[2][3]

Omega Boost
ps1_omega_boost-120314.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The gameplay takes place in waves, meaning that enemies will appear in the same groups and formations in the same order every playthrough. The player doesn't get to choose what order to engage an entire stage's enemies, just the ones in the current wave. This rail-shooter element does not hamper the player's freedom to fly where they choose in most stages. On some stages, the player has complete control of Omega Boost, specifically areas where they are in Planet ETA's atmosphere. Other stages limit the player in terms of speed (falling through the timeshaft).

The Legend of Dragoon
81zHIBnnUVL._SX522_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

The Legend of Dragoon features three modes of play: the area map, the field, and the battle screen. At its grandest scale, players explore the world of The Legend of Dragoon on a 3D area map by following predetermined routes.[1] At the end of each route are various representations of areas for the player to enter, including towns, environments, and ruins. As the game progresses more routes are revealed for the player to traverse upon. In field mode, the player navigates fully scaled versions of the areas represented on the world map. The player can explore the environment, talk with characters and advance the story.[2]

Wild ARMS
Wildarmscase.jpg

dbfda3e8f24bd3a1fa62ed925b60c722.jpg

Wild Arms is a role-playing video game that involves the player controlling up to three characters, Rudy, Jack, and Cecilia, as they progress through a number of environments, battle enemies, and solve puzzles. The game is presented in a top-down two-dimensional fashion where the player has an overhead view of all the action taking place on a particular screen. To advance, the player must overcome a number of story-based scenarios and sequences that involve navigating through dungeons while fighting enemies that appear randomly. Characters progress and grow by gaining experience points after a battle, discovering crest graphs, finding ARMs, and mastering sword techniques prompted by various events in the game. This allows them to battle increasingly more difficult demonic entities.

Dark Cloud
5132CwDIwhL._SY445_.jpg

Dark-Cloud-Cover.jpg

Dark Cloud is an action role-playing game played from a third-person perspective, in which the player moves through procedurally-generated dungeons, battling monsters and collecting items. On random dungeon levels, the player may have the option of entering a separate "back door" area which contains stronger monsters and rarer treasure. Although the majority of combat involves real time hack and slash, the player will occasionally "Duel" an enemy. In this type of battle, the player must correctly press a sequence of buttons, similar to a quick time event.[6] Whilst in dungeons, the player has both a health meter and a thirst meter. The thirst meter gradually decreases over time, and when fully depleted, it causes the health meter to begin to decrease. To prevent the thirst meter from depleting, the player must drink water or step into one of the pools found in many dungeon levels.[7]

Siren
51ZWNE89EGL._AC_SY445_.jpg

scus-97355-game-ss-5

Siren is divided into stages, each taking place in one of ten areas in the village of Hanuda, and organized chronologically in a table called the "Link Navigator". In order to complete a stage, the player must accomplish a primary objective that usually involves reaching an exit point, subduing undead enemies called shibito, or finding an item. Objectives in different stages are interconnected via a butterfly effect, and a character's actions in one stage can trigger a secondary objective in another stage.

Folklore
61zUY4l2RbL.jpg

folklore_sc008

Folklore is an action role-playing game, where players control characters in a third-person view to both explore their surroundings and engage in combat. From the start, players have a choice to play the game as either of the two lead protagonists, the young woman Ellen or the journalist Keats, both having different yet intertwining plots and play styles. The game is split into two worlds, the real world set in the small sea-side Irish village of Doolin and the more fantastical Netherworld inhabited by folk creatures and spirits

I would love a lot of them, plus other games like Colony Wars, Ghosthunter, The Getaway, Socom, Wipeout, Jak, Mark of Kri, Rogue Galaxy, Rule of Rose, Motorstorm, Resistance, White Knight Chronicles, etc...

My most wanted would be Medievil and a big AAA first party JRPG. Also a Ghosthunter reboot. Atmospheric, AAA first party thrid person game.

For them I see perfect in their actual portfolio a new Syphon Filter, seems just a perfect ip for a new sony AAA third person singleplayer cinematic game. Weird that they didn't reboot the ip.
Another one would be The Getaway. It would cost a lot, but in today's market an AAA open world game with the value of sony first paty effort would be seriously big. Also they could bank on the longer and longer development cycles at Rockstar. The more serious, realistic, cinematic style of the game would be superb on today's technology.
Actually they would need more multiplayer games, and Socom if rebooted could fit since it could have a classic sony singleplayer campaign too.

Sony is sitting on a great variety of ips right now

Last edited:

TwistedSyn

I voted for Syphon Filter. Still one my favorite franchises of all time. If they ever remake it, I hope they can give us the option to listen to the original soundtrack. Chuck Doud did an amazing job.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I look at games like Breakpoint, Wildlands and Division and wonder if there's room for SOCOM these days, I guess it would be interesting to see ND do a take on it, and it would make a good lift of the stealth mechanics in UC4/TLOU

There's not much from OP that really grabs me though except Siren, maybe LoD at a push.

Aion002

Syphon Filther: Bend delivered a great game this gen in Days Gone, I would like them to bring SF back! It was a great series on the PS1.

Siren: So many interesting ideas on the 3 games released... I want more!

The Legend of Dragoon: I like JRPG's, on the PS1 Dragoon had too much competition... Today it wouldn't... Fond memories!

GymWolf

I have a huge soft spot for tomba 1...

Kinglsey was trash :ROFLMAO:

I prefer if bend continue with days gone instead of syphon filter tbh.

Last edited:
From the list, Legend of Dragoon has the most interesting universe that I long to return to. I actually listened to some of its tracks on Spotify the other day and those tunes still got mojo.

I would not be against a return to either Dark Cloud or Syphon Filter, though both need completely new gameplay approaches to warrant any serious interest from me (same as LOD, TBH).

Siren would translate the best as is to a 'modern game' whereas lots of the others would have to be updated so thoroughly they would be totally different to the originals.

I'm such a geek I know each and every one of those titles.

Top Bottom