• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "After a Half-Hour with The Last Guardian, I'm Concerned"

Trojan

Phil Kollar plays the Last Guardian at TGS and says it "feels like a PS2 game". He also says the gameplay loops seems solid, so it's a mixed reaction.

Phil Kollar said:
For as much as The Last Guardian nails the broad feeling it's going for in this demo, it whiffs on the details. Specifically: It feels awkward as hell when it comes to actually controlling the main character. The protagonist doesn't walk so much as he lurches in whichever direction you've pushed the analog stick. Much of the demo focuses on platforming, but his jumps have a stickiness to them, a sense of inaccuracy that could be played up as realistic weightiness in the right game but just feels frustrating here.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/15/12914554/last-guardian-gameplay-video-tgs-demo-hands-on

Call me Trico multiple times if old.

Specifically: It feels awkward as hell when it comes to actually controlling the main character. The protagonist doesn't walk so much as he lurches in whichever direction you've pushed the analog stick. Much of the demo focuses on platforming, but his jumps have a stickiness to them, a sense of inaccuracy that could be played up as realistic weightiness in the right game but just feels frustrating here.

Is this their first Team ICO game?

Harlequin

Sounds like something that's very much down to subjective opinion. Some people will like that type of control style, some people won't.

The protagonist doesn't walk so much as he lurches in whichever direction you've pushed the analog stick. Much of the demo focuses on platforming, but his jumps have a stickiness to them, a sense of inaccuracy that could be played up as realistic weightiness in the right game but just feels frustrating here.

So like ICO?

I mean, isn't that how the other games handled? the slight awkwardness and sluggishness of the main characters movement to give a sense that you are controlling a regular dude who stumbles and has little sense of balance up against grand situations and creatures. An antithesis to the usual hero where he/she is an expert level acrobat/marksman or has complete control from the get go.

MUnited83

For you.
I mean, if someone played their previous games they are already expecting not-so-good controls to begin with. It's hardly the thing people come to these games for.

Honestly, I never expected this to be anything more than another of one "those" kind of Team Ico games, and I doubt the people expecting that will be too upset when it comes out.

If anything, they'll be upset when the reviews are in the high 70s/low 80s range.

Vinc

Only read that small paragraph because that article seems to be missing the point, but from what he says it sounds like Ico and SOTC, which is exactly what I want.

Edit: I'll never understand people who say these games are now "outdated". How can a type of game that has never been replicated nor done better feel "outdated"?

TheMoon

I don't see the problem. Is that not exactly what one would expect this to play like going by the previous games' design?!

Only read that small paragraph because that article seems to be missing the point, but from what he says it sounds like Ico and SOTC, which is exactly what I want.

This, basically.

george_us

"Feels like a PS2 game" is one of the highest compliments you could bestow upon a game in this day and age. Hype is through the roof for this game.

Why is this negative opinion singled out when there's a wall of positive impressions in the other thread? Also, what's new about Team ICO games controlling kinda weirdly?

Trojan

Personally, I think both Ico and SotC have trash controls. I play these games for the story and tone and think that those positives greatly overpower the negatives.

It would be nice if they made some updates for TLG, but can't say I'm surprised the game controls similarly if impressions are to be believed.

Cardon

Yeah that sounds a lot like Ico and to an extent the control methodology utilized in SOTC.

So yeah, expecting a 6.5 score from Polygon and ensuing outrage when the game comes out and it proves to be good among players

pr0cs

Not really surprising,the e3 demo looked janky as hell and I'm not convinced they can put a compelling game in there . It probably should have stayed a graphical showcase instead. I have no interest in playing another game like The Order , pretty but as deep as a puddle.

nOoblet16

That's pretty much s hallmark of these games, yeah?

Is this their first Team ICO game?

So like ICO?

I mean, isn't that how the other games handled?
The problem here is that those were PS2 games that's two generations old at this point...and they had that kind of movement because it was difficult to do realistic movement without exaggerating it like that in those days due to limitation of hardware.

Basically, if it was ok in 2001/2005 does not necessarily make it just as appealing in 2016.

SOTC averaged 15-17fps and people still loved the game (even if it wasn't really a big commercial success) but if it were to come out today it would get panned so hard and most people wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick, despite being a good game because standards have changed.

kadotsu

Banned
Dark Souls and MonHun has animation priority for combat. Team Ico games have the same for movement because it's their main verb.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Seems like they were emulating Ico and SOTC movement patterns. Makes sense.

ReaperXL7

I can understand why some wouldn't be a fan but the idea of the MC controlling awkwardly always seemed intentional to me in Team Ico games because the protagonist is not some hardened battle trained warrior. It adds to the idea that character is a child in a lot of ways even if I know that some will just immediately label it as bad design because they don't like it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I loved how Ico and SotC controlled so this is actually a positive preview to me hah. Seriously I'm one who loves my controls as one to one in most every game but I found Ueda and Team Ico are great at making characters with weight and heft and balance that also control well. There are limitations on their movement gameplay that are very deliberate. I'd compare it to what Guerilla Games tried with the aiming in Killzone 2 but far more successful at the idea.

Servbot24

Banned
Not really surprising,the e3 demo looked janky as hell and I'm not convinced they can put a compelling game in there . It probably should have stayed a graphical showcase instead. I have no interest in playing another game like The Order , pretty but as deep as a puddle.
This post is utterly bizarre. I think it's supposed to be bait but I'm not sure what for.

Top Bottom