• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon article on JonTron and A Hat in Time (Humble Bundle responds to controversy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

You can find many search results about the game that mention my name. Just search for:
"a hat in time" "peter valencia"

This is my art portfolio, showing off just a few of the many assets I made for the game.
http://dropr.com/pvalencia/90246/a_hat_in_time/+?p=1175265

I was the only one on the team who had the skills to create Snatcher in 3D. Snatcher was originally just a 2D sprite that was overlayed on the environment, but because of certain cutscenes he later had to be evolved into a full 3D animated mesh. However, this required shape key (also known as morph target) animation, something no one else on the team at the time knew how to do. I also created the pillow pile (the one you can "swim" in) in Hat Kid's spaceship, using a physics simulation. None of my colleagues knew how to do that either.

Yet despite all that, the company remained quiet after JonTron called people like me lazy welfare thieves that should be kept out of the gene pool. Not even a measly tweet saying they disagree with him.

Regardless of how much money they end up making, they're going to have to live with the consequences of this for years to come. They've now established an audience firmly within neo-Nazi and alt-right circles, and they'll have to constantly avoid offending that crowd in the future to stay in business. Best of luck with that, Gears for Breakfast.

Sorry for casting doubt, and while I'm at it, thanks for posting about this.

KHlover

Banned
Personally if I was the mods I'd nuke the game's OT from orbit and tell people that if they want to talk about a game that supports white supremacy they can take their asses to stormfront to do it. But I'm not a mod and that's likely a very good thing, lol
Mods have already started they won't ban discussion of the game over a voice actor, so ya.

pa22word

Out of the 2,000+ people playing the game right now on steam im pretty sure most of them, much like gaffers here, have no clue who Jon is or what he said.

If they solely bought the game to support Jon then maybe youd have a point.

Other people just want a good 3D platformer after Yooka Laylee's mediocrity.
If wanting a good game to play is the bar you need to clear to give white supremacy a pass, you're a racist. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Mods have already started they won't ban discussion of the game over a voice actor, so ya.

Well, that's their decision and I hope they don't live to regret having to police an OT thst will have no choice but to lead with "any talk about the games support of white supremacy isn't allowed in here" in order to function.

jholmes

I imagine they figure it'll blow over in a week when the next controversy hits, which in all honestly is probably what will happen.

OK, but this game needs tons of word of mouth and games are so slanted toward the first week of sales, so I'm not sure that makes the situation insignificant.

Edit:

You can find many search results about the game that mention my name. Just search for:

This is my art portfolio, showing off just a few of the many assets I made for the game.

I was the only one on the team who had the skills to create Snatcher in 3D. Snatcher was originally just a 2D sprite that was overlayed on the environment, but because of certain cutscenes he later had to be evolved into a full 3D animated mesh. However, this required shape key (also known as morph target) animation, something no one else on the team at the time knew how to do. I also created the pillow pile (the one you can "swim" in) in Hat Kid's spaceship, using a physics simulation. None of my colleagues knew how to do that either.

Yet despite all that, the company remained quiet after JonTron called people like me lazy welfare thieves that should be kept out of the gene pool. Not even a measly tweet saying they disagree with him.

Regardless of how much money they end up making, they're going to have to live with the consequences of this for years to come. They've now established an audience firmly within neo-Nazi and alt-right circles, and they'll have to constantly avoid offending that crowd in the future to stay in business. Best of luck with that, Gears for Breakfast.

Sorry to hear that and thanks for your two cents. Definitely appreciated.

Very good post that deserves more attention

The Jontron thing is bad and all, and I can understand not wanting to support it, but the game itself is still good and super, super charming.
If you think you're gonna be supporting white supremacist douchenozzles or something, what little political commentary the game itself has is pretty firmly on the opposite end of the spectrum.
DLVkcx6WsAAqmd8.jpg

DLVkdT2XoAUQyjU.jpg

I assume it was a backer reward or something

I thought of that before posting and took a glance at the KS and didn't see any tiers that explicitly mentioned voicing a character. There's a design a character tier, but that refers only to physical looks.

Agreeing to let randos do voice work would be a huge hassle anyway, there's no guarantee they have quality recording setups so sound mixing would be a huge pain.

whipihguh

Banned
Does it matter if he paid? Give him his money back, say no thanks and kick his voice out of the game.

I don't think it matters, no. I doubt JonTron put enough money in the game that removing him would be a concern. But Gears could be too frugal and too apathetic to white supremacy to do anything. Wouldn't be acceptable, but at least it'd make a modicum of sense.

That being said, I kinda doubt that's the case, here. Radio silence for months on end implies far more cynical motives. Either too cowardly to attract the ire of Neo-Nazis or tacit acceptance of his viewpoints. That's how I feel, anyway.

Appreciate the post, man. Glad to see at least someone who worked on the game call him out on this shit, even if you haven't worked on the game in a while. Only if more people said something.

kswiston

To be fair to the moderation team, if we applied this to AAA titles, we could probably just ban OTs for all games. Chances that a team of 100+ people has at least one racist who has said racist things somewhere on the internet is pretty much 100%. Jontron is just more public than most.

People are free to boycott the game though. I won't be purchasing A Hat in Time.

The Jontron thing is bad and all, and I can understand not wanting to support it, but the game itself is still good and super, super charming.
If you think you're gonna be supporting white supremacist douchenozzles or something, what little political commentary the game itself has is pretty firmly on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Lots of good games come out. Would rather not give money to devs who can't even be bothered to disociate from white supremacy.

L Thammy

If wanting a good game to play is the bar you need to clear to give white supremacy a pass, you're a racist. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Eh, I don't think everyone who buys the game is racist for it. Plenty of people are fans of Ender's Game while acknowledging that Orson Scott Card is an ass. You don't have to be flawless.

But the people who are really fucking proud of buying the game specifically in spite this, though...

Hedgey

I can understand why someone would not want to be associated with JonTron. However, there's no need for a publisher or developer to discuss why they'd want to want to work with him. Clearly they're forgiving people that don't judge someone simply on their views and opinions. JonTron is not defined by his comments. That doesn't mean what he said is okay. However, he has a right to an opinion.

Slayven

I can understand why someone would not want to be associated with JonTron. However, there's no need for a publisher or developer to discuss why they'd want to want to work with him. Clearly they're forgiving people that don't judge someone simply on their views and opinions. JonTron is not defined by his comments. That doesn't mean what he said is okay. However, he has a right to an opinion.

Dehumanizing people is not an opinion.

Sponge

Banned
MechaTheSlag made fun games back when I knew him on MFGG. His fan games like MFGG Royale were fun, and TF2 Ware was a blast.

I stopped playing his work after learning what a jerk he was. Just because he's made fun games doesn't mean I'll support him.

Rmagnus

Banned

Lol.... Who are you talking to and what are you talking about?

Thanks for posting your experiences.

If you don't mind I'll quote your comment from the previous thread, so it doesn't get buried.

Just want to add that I, one of the artists who worked on the game (and one of the few POC to have done so), released a statement back in April condemning Jontron.
https://epigallo.tumblr.com/post/159103022899/on-jontron-and-racism

The company ignored me, of course. Although I had left the company 2 years before, on good terms, I hadn't been involved with its development since. I assume a few of the current artists on the team may have also wanted to speak out, but remained quiet out of fear of losing their job.

The team is majority white European. This is why diversity is so important. When you have a team that primarily comes from very homogenously white countries, where racism is probably something they've never personally encountered, you end up with blind spots. The creator of the game probably isn't a racist, but from his silence, we can infer that he still may not quite grasp the seriousness of what JonTron has said. (And what he said was absolutely reprehensible - for those who need a reminder.)

I don't really visit NeoGAF anymore - just logged in for the first time in many months to let people know that not all of us who worked on the game are okay with actual white supremacist JonTron. At all. At least, I'm not.

Yukinari

Well, that's their decision and I hope they don't live to regret having to police an OT thst will have no choice but to lead with "any talk about the games support of white supremacy isn't allowed in here" in order to function.

I mean ive played games by Dough Tenpal who is even worse and more famous than Jon and Mecha. I respect anybodys decision to not buy the game cause of the person involved.

I would appreciate not being called a homophobe for enjoying Neverhood or Earthworm Jim.

PSlayer

Why doesn't Gears for Breakfast just....comment on it and say what they think? Even if they defend JonTron at least we'll know the story instead of continuously guessing what their motives are.

If they are not gonna take jontron off, everything they could say would put them into a bad position. So the best they can do is keep quiet and wait people to forget.

Ayyyy Lmao

Cheebo

Banned
Saying vile racist things and condemning entire races of people is considered an opinion now?

L Thammy

So what's he defined by, his subscriber count? If his thoughts aren't a defining part of who he is as a person, then what is?

What the fuck?

MKIL65

Thanks for writing this. The gaming industry is fucking terrible.

KHlover

Banned
To be fair to the moderation team, if we applied this to AAA titles, we could probably just ban OTs for all games. Chances that a team of 100+ people has at least one racist who has said racist things somewhere on the internet is pretty much 100%. Jontron is just more public than most.

People are free to boycott the game though. I won't be purchasing A Hat in Time.
idd, that's pretty much my opinion on this matter as well.

The devs being Nazi-sympathizers makes the lack of a Switch SKU easier to care less about.

Though, why anyone would care about a second-rate knock off that apes Windwaker's style, launching near Mario is beyond me.

Fuck 'em and their lack of a response. Even a, 'No Jon Tron' toggle would be better than saying nothing at all.

When it comes to white supremacy there absolutely is a need for both the publisher and the developer to justify why they would continue to work with and promote a radical racist

Jon is 100% defined by his comments. He has his right to an opinion, but we all also have the right to hold him accountable for those opinions

Zubz

Banned

It's not a binary deal. You can identify the risks of capitalism & still see yourself as genetically inferior. The issue isn't inherently something the creators put in the game, though. It's them being silent & not responding to the fact they are releasing a game with a flagrant white supremacist on it.

I thought of that before posting and took a glance at the KS and didn't see any tiers that explicitly mentioned voicing a character. There's a design a character tier, but that refers only to physical looks.

Agreeing to let randos do voice work would be a huge hassle anyway, there's no guarantee they have quality recording setups so sound mixing would be a huge pain.

Yup. I was a backer; JonTron was a thing that was revealed after the campaign was completed, but before he was open about being an Iranian white supremacist.

The "believing that others are genetically inferior & should stay out of the gene pool is an 'opinion' card." That's the one you want to use?

Cerium

The devs being Nazi-sympathizers makes the lack of a Switch SKU easier to care less about.

Though, why anyone would care about a second-rate knock off that apes Windwaker's style, launching near Mario is beyond me.

Yeah I mean if you have a Switch, fucking Odyssey is coming at the end of the month lmao.

I think we'll survive.

pa22word

Eh, I don't think everyone who buys the game is racist for it. Plenty of people are fans of Ender's Game while acknowledging that Orson Scott Card is an ass. You don't have to be flawless.

But the people who are really fucking proud of buying the game specifically in spite this, though...
Everyone who buys the game? No, of course not. Anyone who buys it knowing the situation surrounding JT and the devs tacit support of it? Yes, I'd say yes they are. It's the definition of privilege when you can turn off your lefty liberal brain for a second when you click buy on the Steam store while Latinos and Black people can't stop suffering from systematic oppression and hatred every single day of their lives.

Fj0823

Savage. But you're right.

Wish me buying the game would support your work instead of Jon's

Alucrid

Banned

good post. it's a shame that the powers that be over there are sullying the hard work of a lot of people on the game.

Devs have made their bed.

I thought A Hat in Time looked neat, but I won't be buying it or any future games the dev team makes. They decided keeping white supremacists happy with them was something they valued.

whipihguh

Banned

Good thing Gears for Breakfast are so idealistic and warm-hearted to forgive Jonathan "14 Words" Jafari and keep his work.

Are you serious with this shit, man? Jon's "opinion" wasn't some off-the-wall tax plan, he advocated for a white ethno-state. That's something as the developer you gotta speak up about, right to option or not.

Granjinha

Personally if I was the mods I'd nuke the game's OT from orbit and tell people that if they want to talk about a game that supports white supremacy they can take their asses to stormfront to do it. But I'm not a mod and that's likely a very good thing, lol

You know, Jon Tron sucks but if he paid to be in the game maybe there's some sort of contractual obligations?

I'm not sure where they're coming from, but you're sure making quite the jump here to 'everybody on the team is a white supremacist and everybody who bought the game is too'

I also find hard to believe that a team where the CEO condemns and makes fun of Trump openly is white supremacist, but i can be wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Savage. But you're right.

Wish me buying the game would support your work instead of Jon's

Well, it is the case that buying the game supports both Valen and Jon.

I think that's why this kind of thing is a moral grey area. Game development involves lots of people, some who you want to support and some who you don't. I think you have to weigh both the positive and the negative, and decide which is heavier, in order to make your decision.

jholmes

I do not understand this sort of thing, where people say someone should be entitled to his opinion or politics like racism is one of those things.

I happen to have politics that don't align with a lot of people who post in these threads. Racism is apolitical. Racism is just racism.

Oersted

Anime-avatar, 0.xx posts per day, bunch of nonsense...

I bet when I go trough your post history I end up with a full bingo.

Kidding aside, you have to learn how to argue. You dropped a bunch of sentences, without any reasoning, without a why. You simply told how you see the world, made it clear that judging JonTron for dehumanizing humans makes you more angry than Jon Tron dehumanizing humans and thats it.

Thank you.

Alucrid

Banned

this is gross. love and respect, right

PaulloDEC

Things move quick here. We've gone from "Developer doesn't comment on racist guest voice actor" to "Developers are Nazi sympathizers".

So wait, if you know about the Jontron controversy and you still choose to play the game, you're a racist?

Does it not matter that Jontron doesn't make any money from the project? Or that all we have to condemn the developers with is the lack of a comment? Or that a developer is in fact a group of people who don't necessarily share the views of their superiors?

If people want nothing to do with the game I totally understand and respect that, but these attempts to black-and-white the issue into oblivion is getting insane.

B-Dex

My favourite part is humble bundle saying they have no input or control over a game they are publishing.

Maffis

They are 8 people in the dev team. How People cant understand why they dont want to comment on this particular matter is beyond me. Its not worth the death threats and irl-targeting, and its not worth the potential sales loss for a super-small indie team that has been working on this game for over 5 years.

Granjinha

My favourite part is humble bundle saying they have no input or control over a game they are publishing.

Well, it's true. Some publishers don't have any input in the creative part of the game. That's how contracts work.

Humble Bundle didn't fund the entire project. They don't own the IP.

Everyone who buys the game? No, of course not. Anyone who buys it knowing the situation surrounding JT and the devs tacit support of it? Yes, I'd say yes they are. It's the definition of privilege when you can turn off your lefty liberal brain for a second when you click buy on the Steam store while Latinos and Black people can't stop suffering from systematic oppression and hatred every single day of their lives.
Once again, in full support of people not buying the game because they hate JonTron, but please stop saying that everybody who buys the game and knows about the situation is in support of JonTron. That's a load of bullshit.

The dude paid to be in the game. Me paying $30 for the game isn't supporting JonTron in any way whatsoever. I bought the game because I wanted a good 3D platformer.

pa22word

You know, Jon Tron sucks but if he paid to be in the game maybe there's some sort of contractual obligations?

I'm not sure where they're coming from, but you're sure making quite the jump here to 'everybody on the team is a white supremacist and everybody who bought the game is too'

I also find hard to believe that a team where the CEO condemns and makes fun of Trump openly is white supremacist, but i can be wrong. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
See:

Also, and it legitimately blows my mind I have to say this in a year that Get Out released in, just because you sit up and trash Trump on Twitter doesn't mean you cannot be racist and flaunt white privilege openly to your benefit over others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom