• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon article on JonTron and A Hat in Time (Humble Bundle responds to controversy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
It becomes a question of where you draw the line. If you won't support a game with a white supremacist in it (Jontron), well okay, that makes perfect sense.

If you won't support a game made by people who'll tolerate the presence of a white supremacist in their work (Gears for Breakfast), well that's a bit different. My 102 year old nana is pretty racist, but I tolerate her. Does that make me as bad as Gears? Does that make both myself and Gears Nazi sympathizers?

To once again be clear about my stance here, I neither like nor support the racist piece of shit known as Jontron, and as soon as I'm able I'll be modding him out of the game. I was a Kickstarter backer of Hat in Time before this whole thing went down, so while I'll be playing Hat, if Gears continue to behave the way they are now, I'm unlikely to be buying any of their future titles.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.

You jumped from calling the game devs "Nazi sympathizers" for being sympathetic to a Nazi, to the players being "racist" for buying the game. There is a line there. Sympathizers are more dangerous because they allow those beliefs to fester, but that doesn't change the fact that they don't personally hold the beliefs. They're just okay with others having them & the impact it has. It's a stance of willful ignorance towards hate rather than spreading said hate.

It makes Gears literal Nazi sympathizers for sympathizing with a Nazi. But you're not responsible for your grandmother's statements, nor are you in charge of whether or not those statements are heard. She is an individual making these statements of her own volition, whereas Gears is a team & collectively made a decision. Gears may not have gone on that eugenic tirade, but it was their responsibility to respond after Jon made it & they continued to associate with him regardless.

I'm sure GAF will have a lot to say about Vinesauce when this clip starts going around: https://clips.twitch.tv/SolidTolerantLarkRitzMitz

Definitely expected better from Vinny here. Also, holy shit is that bad, half-assed voice acting.

Even if the game is actually good they shot themselves in the foot bigtime. Didn't remove the nazi piece of shit(stupid youtubers like this guy are actually worse for society than say, actors with questionable political/social opinions). Pulled off some Yooka-Laylee type of bait with their kickstarting campaign and now it will be out on everything but the platform where people remotely care about these types of games. Watch them make Knack 2 numbers. 4+ years for this, sad

GunBR

Everyone here knows that JonTron is only dubbing the game and it's not a producer right?

If you want to boycott the game because of that, fine. But looking at some comments here looks like there's some people who belive that ignoring the game will harm JonTron in some way, and I really doubt that

Maximo

They are about to launch the project of their dreams. I am sure they want to steer clear of any controversy if they can help it.

Extreme statement here but this is borderline not caring about minorities and are happy to use their bodies as a stepping stone for your own success, obviously their actions are not directly "pulling the trigger" here but it is showing they don't disagree with those who hold those views.

I really hate that you have an anime avatar because someday I might want to have one and you're not fucking helping.
image.php

Everyone here knows that JonTron is only dubbing the game and it's not a producer right?

If you want to boycott the game because of that, fine. But looking at some comments here looks like there's some people who belive that ignoring the game will harm JonTron in some way, and I really doubt that
As someone who bought the game, you're wrong.

People want to ignore the game so the devs will understand they can't just be silent about this.

As far as I'm concerned all they need to say is

"He wasn't a racist dick when we worked with him years ago, we disapprove of his words and will never work with him in the future. We're a tiny indie team however and simply do not have the time and resources to remove his work from the game."

Boom. Done. Move on. Their silence here is clearly trying to just hope this goes away and that it won't affect sales too much.

Machina

Banned
Extreme statement here but this is borderline not caring about minorities and are happy to use their bodies as a stepping stone for your own success, obviously their actions are not directly "pulling the trigger" here but it is showing they don't disagree with those who hold those views.

Guilt by association?

Zubz

Banned
I cant feel bad for Vinny getting caught in the crossfire of this?

Ive been pretty level headed their entire thread.

He could have just not commented. It's not really getting "caught" in it when you walk into it & go "look at me, walking into this," no?

I honestly feel bad for Vinny and Imakuni having to get in the middle of this just because they streamed it.

Yeah, this is VERY QUICKLY becoming an obnoxious purity test. I agree that their should be some pressure on the devs to give a formal statment as to why Jon's still in the game, but ffs guys, don't be immediately hostile and dismissive to everyone loosely associated with this.

He's a celebrity endorsement for the game.

It would be one thing if it was a coder, or a voice actor picked due to their talent.
Still would be bad
But he's solely in the game because he's Jontron, he's there to bring his audience to the game. He is, in all honesty much more popular than the game itself. The devs have tied him to the face of their game.

pa22word

I cant feel bad for Vinny getting caught in the crossfire of this?

Ive been pretty level headed this entire thread.
Getting in the crossfire? The fuck man did you watch the clip? He firmly planted his ass right in the middle of it and said in as much words that he didn't give a shit that the game had a white nationalist in it.

Rmagnus

Banned

The idea is not to harm Jon but to make a point racist scums are not welcomed and the fact that developers feel that keeping quiet about this speak volume on where they stand on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom