• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon EiC's emotional journey with BOTW save files

Figured we could all use a laugh.

From Top 3 of the Year to Not Ranked:
DM7CLblVoAAT0-3.jpg
Yeah dipshits, clearly it's not user err-
Oh.

Polygon, ladies and gentlemen.

Crom

I always am in fear of losing my save data. Hopefully Nintendo uses cloud saves sometime soon. Never have yet with a Nintendo product but I am always paranoid about it

Also...docking a game because his boneheaded friend deleted it is weak

Renekton

I think the Polygon Doom started the whole back-and-forth about whether reviewers need to be competent in the genre they review.

Marcus

"games that don't work properly aren't qualified for celebration"

wtf. 99.9% of games ever released have a bug in them somewhere.

knkng

I agree with most that Nintendo should have a cloud/backup for game saves.

But holy shit, this guy’s a fucking clown. It’s not the games fault for what your stupid friend does (and of course he didn’t even do anything, lol).

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
I accidentally formatted my 360's HDD when meaning to clear the system cache a number of years ago.

That was a dark, dark day.

But yeah, this is why when something like this happens, your first instinct probably shouldn't be to go to Twitter to complain. Though if that happened Twitter would be a ghost town.

Polygon is clown shoes most of the time.

StereoVsn

It does bring up though that it's still terrible that there is no way to backup saves right now on the Switch. If my kid overwrites the save or Switch dies, there is no recourse. Cloud saves, allowing copying saves to SD card, either of these would fix the issue, yet here we are.

Felensis

Banned
Despite the outcome this clearly shows how ridiculous Nintendo is by not providing ANY possibility of save backups via cloud or at least via USB or SD card. I've sold my Switch due to reasons and my 120hr+ save is lost, too. Of course this was my decision and it was not an easy one, but this couldn't happen as a member of PSN or Xbox Live.

It's embarassing that Nintendo isn't able even after over six months in the Switch's lifetime to provide a proper backup method for savefiles. It's 2017 ffs.

eXistor

I genuinely thought this was a joke, but it's real? I had my memory card wiped by a friend years ago. I was just starting the epilogue in Lunar 2 and then it happened. That doesn't change my opinion on he game one bit (my fiend is another thing...).

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
It does bring up though that it's still terrible that there is no way to backup saves right now on the Switch. If my kid overwrites the save or Switch dies, there is no recourse. Cloud saves, allowing copying saves to SD card, either of these would fix the issue, yet here we are.
Right. Even the 3DS had the ability to back up your saves for digital games.

I don't understand (well I do, but...) why this isn't a thing Nintendo hasn't enabled on the Switch yet.

ffvorax

Lol he overreacted a little... what does it means that a games is not a top3 after someone deleted his file? lol
game=/=console features... cloud save backup should be a thing anyway on every console. It's super useful on my PSVITA/PS4

StereoVsn

Lol he overreacted a little... what does it means that a games is not a top3 after someone deleted his file? lol
game=/=console features... cloud save backup should be a thing anyway on every console. It's super useful on my PSVITA/PS4
Don't even need cloud save if they allow backup/restore to/from microsd card. I am sure it's all related to hacking issues but it's ridiculous that the customers have to pay the price.

synce

This is why I put no effort into modern games. You're usually locked into one save file and in the case of Nintendo you can't even back it up.

This kind of idiotic design was prevalent even 10 years ago with games like RE5. You can't start a new game without deleting your only save file.

Sanctuary

Friends don't let uninitiated or uninstructed friends play with their new toys. I thought we all learned this a long time ago?

My aunt, who has been playing games since the 90s when I loaned her my Genesis recently overwrote my new Lost Odyssey playthrough save. Only had ten hours on it, but still...

Wow... If this is real, Polygon went from last on my list to not ranked.

Holy shit. What a drop in status!

mabec

Actually agree with him, i would have had the same reaction, but maybe he should have looked things up before started tweeting about it

chunk3rvd

Lost my switch in May. Insurance replaced everything but stilll haven’t been able to bring myself to start from the beginning again ;_;

Pilgrimm

What a relief that must have been.
But quick to be vocal about what happened in social media. Haha but I'm very glad for him.

Doesn't the game have the last 5 autosaves stored at all times? You'd have to fuck up big time to get all those to go away.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Looks like he needs a reason to justify not liking Zelda as much as another game, so, lo and behold, the Universe provided a "reason".

What a silly reaction. Human error doesn't exist. The game is crap. OK, Polygon.

And then the Universe gave him the middle finger. Just wait until he finds something else to nitpick about it so he can give GOTY to Random Game Nobody Heard Of.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So uh...im pretty sure BOTW has auto-saves that go back quite a bit, so even if someone saved with a new file, there should be auto-saves available

Chev

Yeah, I don't get it, BOTW keeps multiple save files per game. Even if his friend hadn't started a master mode game he'd still be able to resume his, except he probably never went in the load menu to check.

knkng

So uh...im pretty sure BOTW has auto-saves that go back quite a bit, so even if someone saved with a new file, there should be auto-saves available

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I believe there's 10 autosave slots, and you would need to play for quite a few hours to bump them all off. Something not likely to happen while showing off the game during a dinner party.

Top Bottom