• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon, Eurogamer, Engadget et al are Wrong About Shenmue III and PayPal

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
NrcNWFm.jpg
lol, these never get old

What I don't understand is why the gaming press is so damn blatantly vindictive over this game and it's creator. Seriously, WTF is wrong with you, press people?

it's because japanese developers are an easy target, because the narrative in games press have been so skewed against them

they're also an easy target, because journalists don't deal with them directly at press events, just the western rep. this goes for twitter, email, phone etc.

if someone in the press called kein levine a pretentious asshole who hates women, they'd actually have to face ken levine at one point in the year and defend what they said

remember when kamiya called kotaku out for saying disparaging ad hominem shit about him?

heck, i saw in a giant bomb quick look the staff were infantilizing Tomonobu Itagaki, implying that he's not very talented or has a limited understanding of thing because of a lack of intelligence

i'd never hear that shit outta them about anyone who wasn't down the street in their san francisco bubble

which brings us to shenmue. a lot of journalists just simply do not take japanese devs seriously. why?

"when HD came out, they all just forgot how to make video games! yep these developers who have been making games for 20 something years just up and got dumb all a sudden. no they were always dumb,"

Much love bruh.

Honestly, I do these occasional rants because I care. I care about Shenmue, I care about gamers, and I care about games, and it just seems like gaming culture has slipped into this place of pessimism, suspicion, and anger. We've all become paranoid angry grandpas and the current system is just compounding that.

also want to quote this because it's kind of funny up against what i just said above.

IrishNinja

Ultimately, bashing something popular is a massive source of hits. Many sites nowadays follow the "there's no such thing as bad publicity" philosophy.

They know that by riling people up, they'll hit their daily visits goals easily. It doesn't matter if those people think they're bad, as long as they hit those links.

you're not wrong, and god knows id normally say just don't pay attention, but the whole narrative had some ugly times during the KS, even with records being broken.

on the other hand, anyone listening to Kuchera gets what they deserve, i figure

So glad this thread exists

I just hope Yu doesn't do anymore interviews. Not worth it at this point

As far as the misinformation goes... I'm mostly unaffected because i've been sticking to websites like kindafunny, dualshockers, and gametrailers

it's because japanese developers are an easy target, because the narrative in games press have been so skewed against them

they're also an easy target, because journalists don't deal with them directly at press events, just the western rep. this goes for twitter, email, phone etc.

if someone in the press called kein levine a pretentious asshole who hates women, they'd actually have to face ken levine at one point in the year and defend what they said

It's even easier because the Japanese developers are less likely to read this nonsense and even respond.

These Western outlets can talk to their Western audience without any scrutiny.

Koshiro

It's getting really old seeing so many huge websites miss informing people.
I really do agree with this. Isnt there some way of properly calling them out on this? It's outrageous that they're persistently doing this and facing no consequences whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in anyone getting fired or harassed on social media, it'd just be nice if we could get them to post correction articles or something, and to, you know, stop doing this.

Massa

remember when kamiya called kotaku out for saying disparaging ad hominem shit about him?

heck, i saw in a giant bomb quick look the staff were infantilizing Tomonobu Itagaki, implying that he's not very talented or has a limited understanding of thing because of a lack of intelligence

i'd never hear that shit outta them about anyone who wasn't down the street in their san francisco bubble

which brings us to shenmue. a lot of journalists just simply do not take japanese devs seriously. why?

"when HD came out, they all just forgot how to make video games! yep these developers who have been making games for 20 something years just up and got dumb all a sudden. no they were always dumb,"

also want to quote this because it's kind of funny up against what i just said above.

I think you're overreacting. The media picks on many western games, mostly ones with bad PR. This one just happens to be a Japanese game with very bad PR.

The same Kotaku guy who attacked Dragon's Crown is constantly speaking in favor of Japanese games.

As for Giant Bomb, they were worse to David Jaffe about Drawn to Death.

Bio-Frost

I really do agree with this. Isnt there some way of properly calling them out on this? It's outrageous that they're persistently doing this and facing no consequences whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in anyone getting fired or harassed on social media, it'd just be nice if we could get them to post correction articles or something, and to, you know, stop doing this.

I know, a simple edit would be fine. I was shocked to see the polygon article is from yesterday. I would assume someone had to have told the writer there info is wrong in that time right?

But really, imagine being Yu Suzuki right now. You spend years in a broom closet at SEGA, then languish in Japanese indie dev hell of mobile and browser games. You sell all your cars and motorcycles and pretty much accept the glory days are over.

Did Suzuki san really sell his cars and motorcycles? What a shame.

I think what gets me is just how little scrutiny, other major kickstarters (those run by, or with links to major insiders) have gotten. I mean I'm a Schafer fan and all, but even I felt some of the stuff in the Psychonauts 2 Fig needed at least a little more attention, a grand total of 1 article I could find on it even discussed the realities of investing and how it would work compared to other stuff, and that was Game Informer. Polygon, Eurogamer. Engadget? Nothing but puff pieces?

Hell, has anyone even asked Schafer why $3.3 million was the goal? How he expects to be profitable, when in his own words, they never have been? How much is external funding, will the game happen either way? All of these questions were CONSTANTLY thrown at the Shenmue 3 KS.

Shenmue 3's KS was run by incompetents, given, but Ys.net is painted as greedy, or unable to deliver, or whatever.

The thing is, while yes, it is easy to attack popular stuff to get clicks, it is often even easier to attack niche, unpopular stuff to do the same. Shenmue is not a popular series. YS is a legend, but not one that has done much recently, and not one that a lot of the games media cares about. So he's a safe target, and Shenmue fanboys are a niche of a niche, so they are easy to attack as well.

I don't expect different, honestly.

llehuty

Thanks for making this thread. Remember when NeoGAF crew didn't get E3 passes because it wasn't an active media outlet?

"Your company does not appear to be an active media outlet with ongoing coverage of the Interactive Entertainment Industry and as a result you do not qualify for a media badge."
lol

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I've stopped reading any press about Shenmue. I don't usually like to complain about/speculate about this or that outlet having an.... animus, but it seems like there's been at least a couple instances of shit not even being news (or true, for that matter).

I don't get it. Not even Obsidian (who I love but lets face it, there's a rich history of problematic project management history there) was subjected to this kind of snipe-y, nickel and dime bullshit for their KS

Trojan X

Banned
Good post, OP. You spoken the truth. It's just so sad that your words will not spread and teach the unacknowledged for these ill medias will reach those readers that will end up responding negatively to Shenmue III. They are attempting to make the product dead on arrival even though they have seen NOTHING. This is just another nail to my decision to why I stopped reading most of these medias, they are disgusting and vile.

hohoXD123

I think you're overreacting. The media picks on many western games, mostly ones with bad PR. This one just happens to be a Japanese game with very bad PR.

The same Kotaku guy who attacked Dragon's Crown is constantly speaking in favor of Japanese games.

Not many other games have had this level of misinformation and negative press thrown its way though. From the whole Sony is funding the game BS to this.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
From Eurogamer (the problem is the misleading title, the article itself clarifies the issue correctly at the end, though it looks like the comments section missed... all of that):

"Shenmue 3 PayPal backers denied Kickstarter-exclusive reward options "as originally promised""

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1457889

Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised.

what's the problem here?

"Shenmue 3 PayPal backers denied Kickstarter-exclusive reward options "as originally promised""

what's the problem here?

Reread that statement. They originally promised that they would not open up the rewards not that they promised to open up the rewards to paypal users. It's awkwardly written but what else could you expect from something that was either written by a non-native English speaker or an obnoxious stoner.

hohoXD123

what's the problem here?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming the original promise was that the items would remain exclusive, which makes more sense with the kickstarter quote from the OP. Simply having the title like that would suggest the original promise was that the rewards would be available, so is misleading.

Faustek

People still upset that something that was labeled as

Kickstarter exclusive

Still being Kickstarter exclusive? smh

Siege.exe

Hell, has anyone even asked Schafer why $3.3 million was the goal? How he expects to be profitable, when in his own words, they never have been? How much is external funding, will the game happen either way? All of these questions were CONSTANTLY thrown at the Shenmue 3 KS.
Literally every single one of those questions are answered in the video on the Fig page.

I think Shenmue 3 should go radio silent until it's ready for reveal at trade shows, when Sony and Shibuya Productions can handle the PR moves. Otherwise, sites like Polygon will keep checking each Kickstarter update for something they can spin into a negative article for more manufactured controversy.

Reminds me of this thread, media is still being wrong and shitty about this Kickstarter for some reason.
The Shameful Media Coverage of Shenmue III

Yep, the whole thing has been incredibly half arsed and embarrassing. The media really has it out for this game, for reasons I can't comprehend. I think Yu Suzuki is owed a suite of apologies for their attempts at sabotaging his attempts to resurrect an obviously much-loved franchise.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yep, the whole thing has been incredibly half arsed and embarrassing. The media really has it out for this game, for reasons I can't comprehend. I think Yu Suzuki is owed a suite of apologies for their attempts at sabotaging his attempts to resurrect an obviously much-loved franchise.

He'll get none of that... Yu and team can find comfort in the many thousands of supporters that are cheering/funding a dream project of his and its fans and filter out the noise and respond accordingly.

I don't think people should be too puzzled as to why outlets behave the way they do...there are several reasons one can ponder as to why. Whether one reason applies, several apply or some selectively apply on a individual basis per outlet it's really of no consequence. It's not so much a mystery of "the why" as much as not being able to tag them accordingly per outlet - which drives controversy when someone tries. It's an accusation after all, requiring proof. Thus, filter out the noise and respond accordingly.

Literally every single one of those questions are answered in the video on the Fig page.

How he expects to be profitable is sure as hell not answered. Especially considering that Psychonauts has been in humble bundles and often for sale for about $1 and goes for about $10 normally. It's an argument I would have expected to be brought up.

As for the others, he says that no single stream of revenue will allow the game to happen, but them together would, but he's not particularly specific, and no, asking for $3.3 million because that is what he got last time doesn't scream this is the minimum we need from fans to make the game. In fact its kinda the opposite, it looks a lot more like we're asking for this because we think we can get it.

The Shenmue stuff was answered within DAYS, and people still ran with the narrative that Sony was funding the majority of the game, and the kickstarter funding was just to test the waters. They called him at turns unrealistic for saying how much he thought the game would cost, or greedy for asking for so much.

Hell, Shenmue was expensive to make no doubt, but Suzuki had an unlimited budget to work with, other than that he was always profitable and he didn't go over budget much if at all. Shafer went over budget on a kickstarter that gave him roughly 8x the budget he asked for. There were reasons, clearly, but you'd figure questions on whether or not DF can deliver a game on a budget would be in a bunch of articles. They aren't.

I'm hoping for the success of the Psychonauts project, the original is one of my favorite games of all time. But there is a clear double standard when it comes to the reporting of Shenmue vs Psychonauts. And it's BS.

yes, there are many western figures that get ridicule. Peter Moleyneux, David Cage

i was actually thinking about their weird dog piling of david jaffe when i heard about it on that podcast. i'm glad someone else noticed. it's like jaffe slept with all their girlfriends or something.

if i may move my goalposts. if i may clarify: western figures, developers etc, are always even at least a chance. their treatment of the japanese side of things are always sweeping generalizations, cynicism etc. shit is never given a second glance, shit is always snubbed.

i hate that i'm making this east vs. west

but, in my extensive experience in taking in western games journalism: western devs and figures are always given a chance to fuck up. japanese devs are almost always assumed to be fuck ups.

TimmiT

Reread that statement. They originally promised that they would not open up the rewards not that they promised to open up the rewards to paypal users. It's awkwardly written but what else could you expect from something that was either written by a non-native English speaker or an obnoxious stoner.
Yeah, when I made the thread about that I misread it as well. I can't really blame writers for initially misreporting it cause of the weird wording, but they should have corrected their articles by now.

Shenmue

Banned
yes, there are many western figures that get ridicule. Peter Moleyneux, David Cage

i was actually thinking about their weird dog piling of david jaffe when i heard about it on that podcast. i'm glad someone else noticed. it's like jaffe slept with all their girlfriends or something.

if i may move my goalposts. if i may clarify: western figures, developers etc, are always even at least a chance. their treatment of the japanese side of things are always sweeping generalizations, cynicism etc. shit is never given a second glance, shit is always snubbed.

i hate that i'm making this east vs. west

but, in my extensive experience in taking in western games journalism: western devs and figures are always given a chance to fuck up. japanese devs are almost always assumed to be fuck ups.

Yeah but look at their writeup of the whole Peter Molyneux debacle. The guy seriously fucked up with that stupid cube game thing, and rightfully got lambasted for it. The article I read was thousands and thousands of words long and WELL RESEARCHED. With Yu, they are anything but well researched, and instead twist words and are intellectually dishonest.

Spaghetti

Yeah, when I made the thread about that I misread it as well. I can't really blame writers for initially misreporting it cause of the weird wording, but they should have corrected their articles by now.
I think this chain of comments refers to the Eurogamer article which did report correctly (and buried the parts that would throw water on this fire at the bottom of the article), but used an alarmist title which most of their comments section seem to have only read.

duckroll

There are a lot of problems with gaming journalism in general, but I'm not sure that poor reporting on Shenmue III is the hill to die on regarding this issue considering how poorly run the customer facing communication has been for this campaign from the start. Could outlets do a much better job researching facts before reporting? Absolutely. Is the communication from the Shenmue III camp to the media and fans alike confusing and poorly planned? Without a doubt. So while supporters of the project are understandably frustrated when the media misrepresents stuff and creates negativity for the campaign, maybe they should also be far more critical of the poor PR handling from the developers themselves. It's certainly not doing anyone any favors.

Spaghetti

There are a lot of problems with gaming journalism in general, but I'm not sure that poor reporting on Shenmue III is the hill to die on regarding this issue considering how poorly run the customer facing communication has been for this campaign from the start. Could outlets do a much better job researching facts before reporting? Absolutely. Is the communication from the Shenmue III camp to the media and fans alike confusing and poorly planned? Without a doubt. So while supporters of the project are understandably frustrated when the media misrepresents stuff and creates negativity for the campaign, maybe they should also be far more critical of the poor PR handling from the developers themselves. It's certainly not doing anyone any favors.
Oh believe me, I made it clear in the post that there being a lot of bad reporting around Shenmue III was just the catalyst for noticing how fucking lazy games journalism can get.

While the poll result was confusing (and again, a majority of the Shenmue community would very much agree), the problem is now that a story has been manufactured or inferred that PayPal backers will not get the items they paid for, which is false, and as I showed could easily have been dismissed with about a minute of research from games journos.

Even worse in the case of Eurogamer where they did know the truth of the matter, buried it in the article, and opted for an alarmist title. How could anybody trust Eurogamer again with such obvious manipulation of its audience? This isn't the first time they've done something like this either - see my example from their great Yu Suzuki interview.

Oh believe me, I made it clear in the post that there being a lot of bad reporting around Shenmue III was just the catalyst for noticing how fucking lazy games journalism can get.

While the poll result was confusing (and again, a majority of the Shenmue community would very much agree), the problem is now that a story has been manufactured or inferred that PayPal backers will not get the items they paid for, which is false, and as I showed could easily have been dismissed with about a minute of research from games journos.

Even worse in the case of Eurogamer where they did know the truth of the matter, buried it in the article, and opted for an alarmist title. How could anybody trust Eurogamer again with such obvious manipulation of its audience? This isn't the first time they've done something like this either - see my example from their great Yu Suzuki interview.

I expect this kind of shit from polygon, but not Eurogamer. I read that article and I was able to locate the truth shortly after. Sadly, most folks won't do that. The reporting on shenmue has been a shitshow from day 1. I don't understand it at all.

XanaviF30

But really, imagine being Yu Suzuki right now. You spend years in a broom closet at SEGA, then languish in Japanese indie dev hell of mobile and browser games. You sell all your cars and motorcycles and pretty much accept the glory days are over.

Then you find some French dude who helps you negotiate the rights to your great unfinished work from your former employer, and then you manage to get a major player like Sony to help you promote it in return for console exclusivity. You try getting 8-4 or Ryan Payton to run your upcoming Kickstarter campaign, but they can't do it, so you turn to some promising young upstarts called Awesome Japan.

Then you got to E3 and unveil your Kickstarter to a screaming crowd, get funded in less than a day, break two world records, and basically make a crazy amount of fucking money. Things couldn't be better.

Flash forward six months. The game is going great, you had an amazing research trip in China, and fans seem to be reacting positively to the prototype materials you've shown. You're working with a lot of old friends again who are employees of Neilo or are external contractors working on the game. You've also hired a fan you met in a restaurant who happens to be appropriately qualified, and some Korean kid who remade areas from your old game in the same engine you happen to be using to make the new game.

You've had a few bumps in the press recently by selectively quoting you, and you don't really have time for any hobbies anymore, but you're enjoying yourself because you're doing what you love for the people who appreciate you. Then you get a Twitter notification. And another, and another. It's a bunch of angry English speaking people saying something about PayPal rewards.

It turns out Awesome Japan bungled something as simple as a poll, and people got the wrong end of the stick about what the poll actually meant, and now news sites are reporting on it incorrectly and there's calls of fraud despite there not being any-

- but you're happy, because you're doing what you love, with people you like, for those who want what you're creating.

But you're middle aged so your dick doesn't work and it's hurting to pee, so fuck everything.

Shenmue III cancelled.

Well, that was interesting.

Branduil

People still upset that something that was labeled as

Kickstarter exclusive

Still being Kickstarter exclusive? smh

Nah, people are upset because the Shenmue PR people ran a poll asking "should we let Paypal funders get kickstarter rewards?", most people said yes or didn't care, and then they basically said "well it wasn't unanimous so let's be jerks to the Paypal funders."

I imagine it's just some slightly confusing messaging from Awesome Japan's side of things snowballing out of control when western game news sites want to report on things ASAP and don't bother looking too deeply. Echoing other people's sentiments that it's weird Eurogamer would fuck this up too though, I generally expect a bit more out of them.

Regardless, 2015 was the year of dreams and Shenmue III played a big part in that. Haven't had any reason to doubt the game or its KS so far and I'm hoping this dumb PayPal drama doesn't derail things.

duckroll

Nah, people are upset because the Shenmue PR people ran a poll asking "should we let Paypal funders get kickstarter rewards?", most people said yes or didn't care, and then they basically said "well it wasn't unanimous so let's be jerks to the Paypal funders."

I think their rationale makes sense, it was just very poorly communicated. The poll should have been very clear that they were asking "Would you as a backer be upset if Kickstarter exclusive rewards were extended to Paypal contributors as well?" and it should just be two options - Yes or No. That way as long as there is a decent level of response for Yes, even if it is not the majority, they can explain the situation better.

Rembrandt

Banned
I think their rationale makes sense, it was just very poorly communicated. The poll should have been very clear that they were asking "Would you as a backer be upset if Kickstarter exclusive rewards were extended to Paypal contributors as well?" and it should just be two options - Yes or No. That way as long as there is a decent level of response for Yes, even if it is not the majority, they can explain the situation better.

it's really dumb to throw in an neutral answer to that poll and then combine that with the negative answers. idk who thought of that and it should rightfully be lambasted.

Whilst clearly these publications are at fault for their inaccuracies, much of the communication from the SM3 team has been confused or unclear.

The haven't misled anyone, but they are not really doing a good job with their messaging across the board.

They should hire some PR staff with knowledge of the Western games industry.

It's hard to be effective with you messaging when the media apparatus you are counting on to amplify your voice is inexplicitly peopled with individuals who've decided to deliberately misrepresent your words.

Spaghetti

Again, as a reminder - this thread is not about the poll or the results of the poll (you can jump into the Shenmue III KS thread or the community thread if you wanna talk turkey on that), but instead the misrepresentation of the story that came after "OMG THEY'RE TAKING OUR REWARDS AWAY", and how certain games media outlets inferred or outright stated this despite it taking maybe a minute tops to investigate and determine it not to be true.

LewieP

It's hard to be effective with you messaging when the media apparatus you are counting on to amplify your voice is inexplicitly peopled with individuals who've decided to deliberately misrepresent your words.

And yet many many other studios/publishers manage to communicate far more effectively.

Edit: And it is not the job of games media to "amplify your voice". That is the job of marketing/PR.

Eurogamer really has gone to the dogs, which is a shame since it's just about the only site that focuses on UK / PAL gaming in the English language.

Spaghetti

And yet many many other studios/publishers manage to communicate far more effectively.

Edit: And it is not the job of games media to "amplify your voice". That is the job of marketing/PR.
The point is, really, is that (again, completely ignoring the poll results) certain aspects of the media ran away with a story that takes less than a minute to discover isn't true. That's not okay at all.

Weirdly enough the hack-job version of the story broke on a number of small po-dunk sites first, and I honestly believed it wouldn't rise up to weightier sites in that way, but it did. So what's the difference between these lazy hole-in-the-wall games sites and the big players like Polygon, Eurogamer, and Engadget if they all botch the story in pretty much exactly the same way?

It's not their job to spread misinformation, and yet they seem to do so with glee in this case.

Top Bottom