• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Mario Kart 8 likely to be the worst-selling game in... what is that chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngf123

Out of curiousity what is be official "justification" for a site ban here? Haven't polygon flaunted it enough for it to happen now? There's literally blatant personal bias on display with no shame.

Generally, inaccuracy.

A number of sites have been banned from being posted on GAF. Trying to post one will get the URL replaced with asterisks. The reasons for each individual site ban vary, and new sites are added and old ones removed every so often. In general, sites are blocked after either a history of posting false information, or a history of self-promotion. If you notice that you've posted a banned site, just edit your post and look for a better source.

If you're reading a HUGE rumour ("Nintendo going third party") from some random Blog you've never heard of, use some common sense. If you don't believe the rumour yourself, don't post it. Posting something obviously crazy and calling it a rumour is not a defence.

One site in particular, VG Chartz, tends to come up a lot. VG Chartz numbers are considered unreliable, and because sales discussions often degrade into console war-style arguments between posters, it's really important to us that accurate sales numbers are posted for discussion. Users are generally banned for posting VG Chartz numbers because of the way it derails threads and prevents good discussion.

I think there is plenty of grounds for a Polygon ban, and there has been for months.

Sadist

sörine;114730540 said:
So because MK8 had the second best debut in the series history Nintendo's more likely than ever to make PlayStation and Xbox games? Is that the gist of it?
No, even with Mario Kart 8 selling the way it did it will end selling less than other installments because the Wii U isn't selling. So, his dream is that people with "relevant" consoles can play these fantastic games without buying Nintendo hardware. It would be better anyway for Nintendo because they're a software company now. Apparently, we didn't get the memo.

It's a poorly written article with a subject that's been beaten to death for the past two years now.

Tripon

It gets a bit more facepalm worthy. An editor of NintendoLife called him out on Twitter about it and he decided to state that he's not arguing with someone who edits a console-specific website.
So IGN cant talk to Kuchera about this? (Since their break down their coverage to console platforms).

lewisgone

Midway through writing something far more detailed about what issues I have with that article, but if Kuchera couldn't be bothered to put any thought into what he wrote, why should I. Stupid, I regret clicking on the article.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
he seems happy Gaf gives attention to him and his piece of fuck site. i suggest following the GoNintendo route, a site that NEVER even reached such unreachacle heights

I don't regularly read Polygon, but have they ever posted an article about Microsoft being "desperate" to sell the Xbox One, what with their having abandoned pretty much every core, defining concept of the system within the first 8 months of release?

Why is it chic nowadays for all of the "serious" gaming "journalists" to shit on Nintendo? There's no question the company is in a rough patch, but I really think there's a component of Big N's "games for the sake of games" approach to design that just fundamentally irks a certain contingent of the gaming press that sees itself as high-minded and progressive. Here you have this old-guard company putting out a string of very, very good games that have no epic narratives, no trenchant social commentary, absolutely no airs of import, and it drives these guys crazy. They're frothing at the mouth desperate for games to become "legitimized" in the eyes of...somebody/thing they deem to be a barometer of taste and sophistication, and they hate that they can't just write off these bright, breezy games about cartoon plumbers and kidnapped princesses.

I think that's why there's so much pressure from media figures for Nintendo to go 3rd party. If Mario games are just another PS4 franchise, something that can be comfortably slotted behind the "serious" Rockstar and Naughty Dog output, it makes them easier to minimize and dismiss. Nintendo staying in the hardware biz gives their brand of game a platform and degree of relevance that's harder to shuffle into the closet when the "grown ups" come over.

That's a very interesting viewpoint.

NotLiquid

Out of curiousity what is be official "justification" for a site ban here? Haven't polygon flaunted it enough for it to happen now? There's literally blatant personal bias on display with no shame.

Usually it happens because a site isn't very trustworthy. GoNintendo got banned for a while because, at least to my knowledge, they'd be prone to posting a lot of bullshit rumors, something they've gotten better at these days hence why they're now unbanned.

I don't know if Polygon having ignorant staff running the occasional ignorant "opinion" or "research" piece would be enough for a ban but I don't really know how the staff operates to consider a site bannable.

I think there could be a financial argument made as to why Nintendo should go third-party if one believes that the competition in the casual sector is too fierce for them to stand out there and if graphical powerhouses are not profitable. In that case, they could make more money on other platforms, possibly.

But Ben arguing that it's a dream for Nintendo to join systems with gigantic development costs just to make their games slightly prettier comes off as port begging and some ridiculous graphical bias. If you're pursuing a solely financial argument, I'm somewhat doubtful Nintendo would put all the 3D Marios in one box as a remaster. It seems more likely that they would make one at a time if any... And why would it be anyone's dream for Nintendo to accept moneyhats to force Nintendo fans to buy multiple other consoles?

K' Dash

I don't regularly read Polygon, but have they ever posted an article about Microsoft being "desperate" to sell the Xbox One, what with their having abandoned pretty much every core, defining concept of the system within the first 8 months of release?

Why is it chic nowadays for all of the "serious" gaming "journalists" to shit on Nintendo? There's no question the company is in a rough patch, but I really think there's a component of Big N's "games for the sake of games" approach to design that just fundamentally irks a certain contingent of the gaming press that sees itself as high-minded and progressive. Here you have this old-guard company putting out a string of very, very good games that have no epic narratives, no trenchant social commentary, absolutely no airs of import, and it drives these guys crazy. They're frothing at the mouth desperate for games to become "legitimized" in the eyes of...somebody/thing they deem to be a barometer of taste and sophistication, and they hate that they can't just write off these bright, breezy games about cartoon plumbers and kidnapped princesses.

I think that's why there's so much pressure from media figures for Nintendo to go 3rd party. If Mario games are just another PS4 franchise, something that can be comfortably slotted behind the "serious" Rockstar and Naughty Dog output, it makes them easier to minimize and dismiss. Nintendo staying in the hardware biz gives their brand of game a platform and degree of relevance that's harder to shuffle into the closet when the "grown ups" come over.

Can not be quoted enough times, great post Kerda.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
If this thread is no longer about the original topic, but rather Make Fun of Ben Kuchera's Dumb Editorials and Twitter Baby Tantrums #207, then we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom