• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch’s Classic Game Collection is different from Virtual Console

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/2/15730702/nintendo-switch-virtual-console

Original story:

Although Nintendo Switch will soon receive revamped retro games as part of its online service, the future of the Virtual Console, which carries Nintendo’s classic games library, remains uncertain. A company representative confirmed to Famitsu that it hasn’t settled on how to bring the Virtual Console to the Switch.

“Classic Games Selection (tentative name) is different from the [Virtual Console],” a spokesperson told the Japanese magazine. The spokesperson then added that Nintendo’s plans to sell the Virtual Console library are “still undecided.”

Updated story:

“Classic Games Selection (tentative name) is different from the [Virtual Console],” a spokesperson told the Japanese magazine. The spokesperson then added that Nintendo’s schedule for selling Virtual Console games is “still undecided.”
When reached for comment, Nintendo told Polygon that it has “nothing to announce on this topic.”

Update: This story and headline have been updated to clarify and correct statements from Nintendo about the release schedule of the Virtual Console on Switch. Additionally, a response from Nintendo has been added.

Edit: Looks like Polygon jumped the gun with a somewhat click bait title based on an inaccurate translation. I've edited in the original versus updated text. My comments below are the original ones before the update.

Seems like everyone assumed this would be part of Nintendo's plans for E3. Sounds like we'll be waiting a while longer. In my opinion, Nintendo seems inclined to lean in to their "Classic" consoles to fulfill the demand for Virtual Console games. Offering a Virtual Console service might cannibalize their (rumored) plans for an SNES Classic.

Unfriend me on MySpace if old.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Wouldn't surprise me if they drop the Virtual Console branding and continue on with the branding they used for the NES Classic instead.

NES_classics_logo.png

With most third parties having ignored the Virtual Console last generation anyway, it probably makes more sense to just drop it and move on.

Richie

I sense there's something lost in translation, but if it is, for once I'm glad it's being misreported because it may force Nintendo to speak clearly sooner than latter

Mediking

? Either HD remaster GameCube games for Switch or put it on Virtual Console! That should be top priority!!! Money is waiting right there, Nintendo!

Neiteio

Probably debating whether to go ALL IN with a Netflix-style subscription where they charge more than their current asking price of $20/year but offer legacy titles from ALL generations of Nintendo systems.

Imma talkin NES, GB, SNES, GBC, N64, GBA, GCN, DS, Wii.

Headline is a little misleading- they're clearly intending on making their classic library playable on the Switch, they seem to just be deciding on if they purely go with a Netflix-style service where you pay a subscription for access the whole library, the more traditional model of paying per game but keeping them forever, or both. EDIT: or it could even just be a branding thing, for all we know.

mindsale

If they break branding it might be easier to deny requests for discounts on repurchased software.

"Sorry, that was part of the Virtual Console branding on the Wii and Wii U. Please buy Cave Story for the 4th time."

I choose to take this as a sign of confidence in their ability to deliver a steady stream of Switch software. It is far too easy for Nintendo to lean on the virtual console as a crutch in software droughts.

Nintendo is just still considering the best way to make money from virtual console games. There are people deciding right now if they could get away with selling Link to the Past at 20 dollars since it could be played on a handheld and on the tv.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ya'll are way too obsessed with the VC anyway. Aren't you sick of these games by now? This was hot shit back on the Wii but MAN if I never play an old game again it'll be too soon.

Neiteio

If the rumors are true that they're sitting on a localized version of Mother 3, PLEASE just release it as an eShop title.

I will pay $30 MSRP, and harvest the organs of the next poster who posts in this thread.

You know you want those juicy organs, Nintendo. Give us Mother 3!

Josephl64

Headline is a little misleading- they're clearly intending on making their classic library playable on the Switch, they seem to just be deciding on if they purely go with a Netflix-style service where you pay a subscription for access the whole library, the more traditional model of paying per game but keeping them forever, or both.

both seems like such an obvious choice, but I guess we'll see.

Harlock

By now they should know that many more people like to pay a fixed price and get a lot of games than buying a la carte.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If they break branding it might be easier to deny requests for discounts on repurchased software.

"Sorry, that was part of the Virtual Console branding on the Wii and Wii U. Please buy Cave Story for the 4th time."

Its scary because its plausible. It'd be hard for them to charge people yet again if its called VC so just call it something else.

I choose to take this as a sign of confidence in their ability to deliver a steady stream of Switch software. It is far too easy for Nintendo to lean on the virtual console as a crutch in software droughts.

I wish they were leaning on that crutch right now. My switch has seen almost zero use since Zelda.

I don't want an NES/SNES/whatever Classic, because I have zero interest in a finite selection of games. I don't really want a Netflix style service as I would rather have the games purchased individually and on my console at all times without the risk of them being taken away by a rotation or something along those lines.

If they released a standalone "classic" system that could have an online store and they simply just keep adding to that rather than rebooting it with each console, OR with their new Nintendo Account service just have it to where you buy like fucking Castlevania 3 or some shit and bam, you can play it on Nintendo devices going forward, that would be great!

But they don't seem to have any interest in doing any of the above.

Timeaisis

I can see them not calling "Virtual Console" anymore, and instead rebranding everything "NES/SNES/Nintendo Classics". We'll see. They'd be leaving money on the table if they didn't bring that to Switch, though.

Probably debating whether to go ALL IN with a Netflix-style subscription where they charge more than their current asking price of $20/year but offer legacy titles from ALL generations of Nintendo systems.

Imma talkin NES, GB, SNES, GBC, N64, GBA, GCN, DS, Wii.

They could get way more than $20/year out of most people for that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thread/article title is wrong.

The article says they are not clear on HOW it will get VC, not IF they will get VC.

Neiteio

There were also those rumblings last year (I think from Emily Rogers? Not sure) about NERD working on Switch ports of Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

If that's true, but the Virtual Console is undecided or delayed, just compile those titles in a "GameCube Greats: Volume 1" and sell it to us for sixty dollars.

13ruce

Banned
? Either HD remaster GameCube games for Switch or put it on Virtual Console! That should be top priority!!! Money is waiting right there, Nintendo!

They kinda have to do HD resolution atleast with GC and other vc games, on a 4k tv it will look like blurry shit in 420p otherwise.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would overwhelmingly prefer that VC didn't exist, and that instead of just rom dumps, we could get high-quality re-releases like the Sega 3D Classics series, which added some niceties to the games.

JoeM86

It's not what it says. What they said is the schedule of sale is undecided, not whether or not it will happen.

Rebrand it and use quality emulation with more features than just one save state and remappable buttons. Also end the dumb drip feed strategy and you're good to go.

If they're actually still undecided at this stage, that's equally as disappointing to me.

You've been running this service since the Wii, and you still haven't figured it out yet? Sigh.

Undecided is basically the same thing as "no comment". How this pans out will be E3 at the earliest or a Nintendo Direct before the holiday season.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They will 100% offer legacy software on Switch. There are gamers today who weren't even born when the Gamecube was released and have never played any of Nintendo's classic games.

Whether it's a priority at this moment in time...it doesn't look like it.

aka they don't want to announce it yet.

Wait to see how the announced setup works and go from there.

My hunch is that they'll have sort of their "core" first party releases as part of a subscription service, and third party games will be VC. I also haven't thought that through, entirely, so there's that.

tebunker

Banned

Obviously its not enough to make it worthwhile. Or it would've already happened.

Honestly I feel the way they mishandled vc on wii as time went on, directly affected it on wiiu, and ultimately barring a huge change in the model it's probably ot viable going forward.

They were making unique builds for every vc release. They steadfastly refuse to use a standard emulator and just plug roms in ala Sega classics collection on PC.

If they could just get over that hurdle, release an app that plays all the games on switch and you buy each individual game through the app for a lot less, itd be more viable. As is dedication of resources to projects with low return is pointless. Its clearly not as easy, for Nintendo, as a lot of folks deludedly believed.

They will probably try to sell everyone NES classic, Snes classic and N64. Classic first. Then they will consider a Netflix style service.

nubbe

"This isn't anything like the old Virtual Console, It's the totally new CLASSICS line up, we now charge 100% more with no kickbacks for previous purchases since it s a totally new service"

Jofamo

Jesus Christ. It's a bad translation, on a non committal answer. Theyre not going to give all the details of their Virtual Console plans now. That comes in Directs or Announcements. Fucking Miyamoto denied the existence of the 3DS mere weeks before it was announced.

There better be a virtual console this calendar year.

Although I wonder if they went with a subscription model they'll probably have to renegotiate terms with 3rd parties correct?

This is actually a very misleading headline.

And it's based solely off a translated Q&A to boot. All the source says is that Nintendo currently has not decided on a VC schedule, which could also mean they just can't comment on it yet.

Nothing in that quote suggests that they haven't decided whether or not to bring a VC to Switch.

EDIT: The actual translated quote, for reference:

Q: Is "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" different from virtual console (VC)?
A: "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" which we introduce now is software which adds a new function to the classic game, different from VC. The schedule of VC on Nintendo Switch is undecided.

Meffer

But VC would increase it's value even more.

I have no interest in VC at this point, and am sick of GAF going on about it tbh. There are plenty of ways you play those games if you want to.

Top Bottom