• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch’s Classic Game Collection is different from Virtual Console

Kind of makes sense to drop the VC if only to combat the "but why cant we just transfer over our previous system purchases".

This is actually a very misleading headline.

And it's based solely off a translated Q&A to boot. All the source says is that Nintendo currently has not decided on a VC schedule, which could also mean they just can't comment on it yet.

Nothing in that quote suggests that they haven't decided whether or not to bring a VC to Switch.

Not trying to shitpost, but it's Polygon on the subject of Nintendo. Wouldn't exactly call them enthusiasts.

shanafan

Burnt out on playing the same NES titles that I had on Wii VC, Wii U VC, and the Classic NES - as well as the real carts themselves, lol.

Not trying to shitpost, but it's Polygon on the subject of Nintendo. Wouldn't exactly call them enthusiasts.

Now we need a pie chart of how many units of hardware with a virtual console have been sold versus how old each of those games sold is.

EDIT: For the new page, here is the actual quote that Polygon decided not to actually put in their article:

Q: Is "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" different from virtual console (VC)?
A: "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" which we introduce now is software which adds a new function to the classic game, different from VC. The schedule of VC on Nintendo Switch is undecided.

garth2000

As much as it pains me to say it (I would kill for gamecube VC titles), the nes mini thing was such a huge success for them that I could see them milking that kind of product for a while.

snes mini, nes mini2, that sort of thing. Maybe once that cools off they will revisit VC on switch (if there is any truth to this story)

I can't take this serious as I'm sure they will have some form of way to release their back catalog. I can't imagine they are going to give us access to the entire library of N64, SNES, GBA, DS, and GC on $20 a year. They will want to make some type of money on the systems that aren't included in the subscription plan.

I'll wait for more details before getting worked up.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
We need a pie chart to indicate the likelihood of VC not happening.

I have an issue if Nintendo gets rid of the Virtual Console. I want access to all the games I have purchased through the lifespan of the Wii Ans Wii U. I think they owe us that much. I know that usually Nintendo purchases are tied to a console but to not get this stuff on my Switch means throwing away a ton of games.

I mean sure, but how can Nintendo think it's a good idea to stay quiet about a service that should've launched with the console. It's not time consuming for them to go pirate their old games and then upload it to the eShop.

By talking about it on their own terms. Like they always do, they fucking swatted away any questions about a new 3DS iteration months before announcing a new 3DS iteration.

Also for new page. Polygon based article off mistranslation.

It might be a bit misleading the headline, but it does prove Nintendo hasn't decided on what they want to give us and how much, when it's been implied they were just going to give us what we want, and have a fully robust online environment and store.

There was a lot of ambitious talk. That the next console would have a steam like hub that would essentially allow access to many of Nintendos games, and this hub could be accessed on computers and through phones too.

I always suspected it was all a sham though. To me this just confirms that the old strategy of being super precious with their old games is going to continue. There's not even a 2d mario on the Switch yet. I speculate this is weird side effect of how succesful the switch has become. They see how even indie games are selling incredibly well on it, and probably realise they can keep making money and more of it by slowly feed a starving audience and rather than give us a buffet and make us full. Wouldn't be surprised if they also stopped being so easy to work with, and go back to being the old Nintendo. I think the Switch's success might've caught them off guard.

spelen

Please stop it ppl. Vc will show up on the switch Nintendo will announce it when they're ready just like they always do.

It might be a bit misleading the headline, but it does prove Nintendo hasn't decided on what they want to give us and how much, when it's been implied they were just going to give us what we want, and have a fully robust online environment and store.

There was a lot of ambitious talk. That the next console would have a steam like hub that would essentially allow access to many of Nintendos games, and this hub could be accessed on computers and through phones too.

I always suspected it was all a sham though. To me this just confirms that the old strategy of being super precious with their old games is going to continue. There's not even a 2d mario on the Switch yet. I speculate this is weird effect of how succesful the switch has become. They see how even indie games are selling incredibly well on it, and probably realise they can keep making money and more of it by slowly feed a starving audience and rather than give us a buffet and make us full.

You done with your weird monologue yet?

Glix

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/2/15730702/nintendo-switch-virtual-console

Seems like everyone assumed this would be part of Nintendo's plans for E3. Sounds like we'll be waiting a while longer. In my opinion, Nintendo seems inclined to lean in to their "Classic" consoles to fulfill the demand for Virtual Console games. Offering a Virtual Console service might cannibalize their (rumored) plans for an SNES Classic.

Unfriend me on MySpace if old.

Do they? Really? Then it wouldn't be discontinued.

fireflame

I have no interest in VC at this point, and am sick of GAF going on about it tbh. There are plenty of ways you play those games if you want to.

If you want to do it in a legit way,you have to either rely on digital platforms or buy again the consoles and games, which can be expensive. So no, not that many solutions. You may rely on the archive website that was granted an exception to dmca, but that is all otherwise.

Thread/article title is wrong.

The article says they are not clear on HOW it will get VC, not IF they will get VC.

Thread title is the title of the Polygon article.

I'd agree with your analysis that the quote is more likely vague PR double-speak to avoid making premature announcements or locking Nintendo in to any decisions before they are made, but my intention was to present the Polygon headline as-is.

I'd be shocked if Nintendo offered a second subscription service with a game library. It would be too confusing for consumers to choose between the recently-announced $20/year service and whatever a more robust "Netflix of Virtual Console" would look like.

Nintendo will make way more money by releasing VC games at a steady trickle as they've always done. Anyone here want to tell me they wouldn't pay $15 for a SNES port of Chrono Trigger on Switch?

Wouldn't surprise me if they drop the Virtual Console branding and continue on with the branding they used for the NES Classic instead.

NES_classics_logo.png

With most third parties having ignored the Virtual Console last generation anyway, it probably makes more sense to just drop it and move on.

This is pretty much what I picture. If you think they aren't going to try to sell you Super Mario Brothers 3 digitally again, you're nuts.

Ya'll are way too obsessed with the VC anyway. Aren't you sick of these games by now? This was hot shit back on the Wii but MAN if I never play an old game again it'll be too soon.

I have a 9 year old son now, I'd love to play some of those games with him if possible, but it's not a huge deal for me.

Ridley327

I mean sure, but how can Nintendo think it's a good idea to stay quiet about a service that should've launched with the console. It's not time consuming for them to go pirate their old games and then upload it to the eShop.

Considering how it's selling without VC, I don't think it's as big a linchpin for success as you might think. Like everything they do, they'll announce it on their own time.

Hero

Pretty click-baity on wording. There is definitely going to be downloadable classic games, whether it will be under the Virtual Console branding or not is undecided.

Shiggy

That's just a clickbait article. It was just part of a Q&A in which Nintendo didn't really say anything apart from "will be announced later".

Here's the Google translation of the question and answer:
Q: Is "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" different from virtual console (VC)?
A: "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" which we introduce now is software which adds a new function to the classic game, different from VC. The schedule of VC on Nintendo Switch is undecided.

OmegaFax

It sounds like the Classic Game Selection is more like 3D Classics except instead of tweaking the graphics and adding stereoscopy, they're adding online functionality.

mindatlarge

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/2/15730702/nintendo-switch-virtual-console

Seems like everyone assumed this would be part of Nintendo's plans for E3. Sounds like we'll be waiting a while longer. In my opinion, Nintendo seems inclined to lean in to their "Classic" consoles to fulfill the demand for Virtual Console games. Offering a Virtual Console service might cannibalize their (rumored) plans for an SNES Classic.

Unfriend me on MySpace if old.
I don't think this is the case since Nintendo is on the record saying that the NES Classic was not designed as a mainstay, but just as a limited offering for a short time, initially just for the holidays.

By talking about it on their own terms. Like they always do, they fucking swatted away any questions about a new 3DS iteration months before announcing a new 3DS iteration.

Virtual Console service isn't comparable to a new console though. It shouldn't be considered a huge announcement that you can pay $5 to play Super Mario Bros on your new system. Though Virtual Console has been one of the most poorly managed service on their last three consoles, so I don't know why I was expecting any different.

Considering how it's selling without VC, I don't think it's as big a linchpin for success as you might think. Like everything they do, they'll announce it on their own time.

Well yeah, Nintendo could release a console coated in cow shit and it would still sell out on day 1. I'm just surprised that Nintendo hasn't put in the effort required to buy roms when the Switch's whole MO is "how can we extract as much money from our fans before we become irrelevant.

Griss

Jesus Christ, this was exactly what I was afraid of when they announced the Classic Game Collection.

That's one of the biggest points of appeal for the Switch, gone. I have 50+ VC games on the Wii U (many carried over from the Wii) and playing them on a portable with a nice 720p screen OR on TV was really, really appealing.

This is awful news. Even if they decide to do it, it'll be a year or more. Fuck's sake.

I was 100% convinced we'd be playing VC the day after e3. I thought any longer than that to launch it would be sheer incompetence.

EDIT:

That's just a clickbait article. It was just part of a Q&A in which Nintendo didn't really say anything apart from "will be announced later".

Here's the Google translation of the question and answer:

Damn, I guess I fell for it. Fucking polygon.

Virtual Console service isn't comparable to a new console though. It shouldn't be considered a huge announcement that you can pay $5 to play Super Mario Bros on your new system. Though Virtual Console has been one of the most poorly managed service on their last three consoles, so I don't know why I was expecting any different.

They also didn't reveal they had plans to overhaul the 3DS eShop until E3 either. It's a huge announcement all the same depending how they go about it, whether they change anything or not.

This is awful news. Even if they decide to do it, it'll be a year or more. Fuck's sake.

I was 100% convinced we'd be playing VC the day after e3. I thought any longer than that to launch it would be sheer incompetence.

Nice job reading into Polygon's mistranslation.

Hasney

I have no interest in VC at this point, and am sick of GAF going on about it tbh. There are plenty of ways you play those games if you want to.

I have interest in having Virtual Console games specifically on my Switch and I'm sick of you downplaying it.

Jesus Christ, this was exactly what I was afraid of when they announced the Classic Game Collection.

You were afraid of a marketing person basically saying we have nothing to announce?

moeman

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo release updated NES and SNES classic consoles that come with a set number of games and allow you to purchase more games through their own eshop. It makes much more sense to make the "mini" line completely separate from the switch. That way the added multiplayer on games included with Nintendo's subscription service can be used as an incentive to own both the classic and switch. I can also see Nintendo offering a subscription service for the classic consoles to allow access to a full library for 10-20 a month.

That's one of the biggest points of appeal for the Switch, gone. I have 50+ VC games on the Wii U (many carried over from the Wii) and playing them on a portable with a nice 720p screen OR on TV was really, really appealing.

The article is completely wrong. They said the schedule for the VC is undecided, which is basically them saying we can't announce anything now. Not that the VC may not come.

That said, if it's not announced at E3 I'll be annoyed too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo release updated NES and SNES classic consoles that come with a set number of games and allow you to purchase more games through their own eshop. It makes much more sense to make the "mini" line completely separate from the switch. That way the added multiplayer on games included with Nintendo's subscription service can be used as an incentive to own both the classic and switch. I can also see Nintendo offering a subscription service for the classic consoles to allow access to a full library for 10-20 a month.

No, it really doesn't. The NES Classic is a cheap one time purchase, whereas if Nintendo sold you a Switch to play those same games they would gain a new constant revenue stream. That's the whole reason the NES Classic was killed in the first place, they don't want it cannabilizing VC sales on the Switch (which are absolutely inevitable, despite what Polygon is trying to twist).

mindatlarge

I would say, wait until their E3 timed Direct until getting too bummed. But even the VC being omitted from that presentation wouldn't be a nail in the coffin, though of course really disappointing.

Shahadan

Some people want those games on their switch, it's perfectly understandable

That said, most of the other people whining about it won't actually use it. See also the always empty GAF MK8 Deluxe Battle room

Mariolee

Whether or not this is actually true, Nintendo would have said the same thing even if VC was going to be announced at E3.

Edit: Oh, fucking Polygon.

Ridley327

Well yeah, Nintendo could release a console coated in cow shit and it would still sell out on day 1. I'm just surprised that Nintendo hasn't put in the effort required to buy roms when the Switch's whole MO is "how can we extract as much money from our fans before we become irrelevant.

I, too, am surprised that they're focusing more on games that they can sell for $60 and represent brand new experiences that can draw from a more diverse set of newcomers to Nintendo hardware than $5-$10 ROM dumps.

MoonFrog

Yeah, seems we should have a thread title change even if that's the article title lol. Title doesn't represent the report/interview itself. Shoddy journalism.

I don't see why virtual console needs to be branded differently from regular e-shop games at all. They should just start releasing classic games on the e-shop, no need to have a special "virtual console launch".

Top Bottom