• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch’s Classic Game Collection is different from Virtual Console

OmegaFax

I hope so. 3D Classics are great.

Kirby and Excitebike were done really well.

The Classic Games Selection announcement is bringing back a bit of deja vu from E3 2010 with the 3D Classics announcement. NES and SNES games were mentioned or demoed from what I recall but only NES 3D Classics actually released.

Same goes for CGS. The Switch's paid features omitted SNES when they updated the site with pricing the other night.

It's also worth noting that 3D Classics and Virtual Console co-existed. Some NES games got 3D treatment while the others didn't. Some Virtual Console NES games on the 3DS did get local wireless Download Play. Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 if I recall.

Nintendo may choose to handpick certain games that would work well online and still have the Virtual Console around for everything else or as a fallback if they decide not to continue making more online enabled classic games.

gunstarhero

They really don't have to announce it - the console is off to a great start and still in demand. I would imagine they save this announcement for when they need it.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'll update the title when Nintendo puts out a clear schedule of their VC plans for the Switch. Which is to say, probably next year.

Seik

Banned
Wouldn't surprise me if they drop the Virtual Console branding and continue on with the branding they used for the NES Classic instead.

NES_classics_logo.png

With most third parties having ignored the Virtual Console last generation anyway, it probably makes more sense to just drop it and move on.

I think that's it. They're dropping the VC brand.

Maybe to change it to Classics Library or something like that.

For this page, I'll repost for clarity. It's a "when", not "if".

Proper translation:

Q: Is "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" different from virtual console (VC)?
A: "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" which we introduce now is software which adds a new function to the classic game, different from VC. The schedule of VC on Nintendo Switch is undecided."

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/870729776922861568

I have no interest in VC at this point, and am sick of GAF going on about it tbh. There are plenty of ways you play those games if you want to.

And the Switch would undoubtedly be the best way. Classic library availability is in demand so why ignore it?

Based on the quote from Famitsu, the issue doesn't seem to be "if" so much as it is "how". Was this really the best way for Polygon to report this?

Edit: beaten by an actual accurate translation.

FinalAres

It still basically means no VC equivalent at E3 which is frustrating. Everything Nintendo does seems to be so slow and behind the times.

atr0cious

This feels like a bit of an early article. I'll quote myself from the other thread.
Nintendo answered some questions to Famitsu:
Question 2: New updates over time? No comment. Will the game library increase over time or will existing titles simply be replaced? No comment.

Question 3: VC is different from Classic Game Selection, Classic Game Selection adds online play.

Question 4: Cloud saves and distribution of free DLC? No comment.

Question 5: Subscription is tied to accounts, not to systems. No comment on whether every account on a system needs a subscription or what happens with accounts which are on more than one system.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201706/02134525.html
Q: Is "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" different from virtual console (VC)?
A: "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" which we introduce now is software which adds a new function to the classic game, different from VC. The schedule of VC on Nintendo Switch is undecided.
This is some great double speech right here. The schedule isn't decided because the list is so long, the "best" will always drop when they need to fill a gap in their releases, so of course they can't schedule that yet, since they'll be shuffling this along with 3rd parties/Indies. But there's no way they don't have a time frame for when they'll start doling them out.

Just seems more like PR wording than them not knowing

I'll update the title when Nintendo puts out a clear schedule of their VC plans for the Switch. Which is to say, probably next year.

Polygon already changed their headline though...

It still basically means no VC equivalent at E3 which is frustrating. Everything Nintendo does seems to be so slow and behind the times.

No it doesn't. It's a PR way of saying we have nothing to announce right now.

However it does seem unlikely that they'll announce a VC at E3, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out due to this statement.

RikuDawn

Ya'll are way too obsessed with the VC anyway. Aren't you sick of these games by now? This was hot shit back on the Wii but MAN if I never play an old game again it'll be too soon.

N64 and GameCube Virtual Console are particularly interesting to me and I would've bought a Switch for just those. I never bought many Virtual Console games cause I still own all my old systems. But if I could play these games on the go all on one system, I'd start buying tons of them. Though, chances are that some of my favorite N64 games like Mystical Ninja and Mischief Makers will never be available on Virtual Console, anyway. If they added online play to stuff besides NES games, it would also sell me on a ton of older games. The ability to play the classic Mario Party games or Pokemon Stadium or Double Dash or Melee online would absolute be worth it to me. Also, I've never played Mario Sunshine and my copy of Luigi's Mansion got stolen before I could get too far into, so I'd just like to be able those games at all.

PSFan

For this page, I'll repost for clarity. It's a "when", not "if".

Proper translation:

A: "Classic Game Selection (tentative name)" which we introduce now is software which adds a new function to the classic game, different from VC. The schedule of VC on Nintendo Switch is undecided."

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/870729776922861568

I dunno, undecided could still mean that they haven't decided if they are going to have it or not. So it definitely could still be an "if". They haven't really mentioned VC at all in regards to Switch.

kc44135

What's with this thread title!? Completely innacurrate and misleading! The article (which Polygon has now updated) simply states that the subscription service they're planning to offer will be separate from regular VC, and they haven't worked out a timetable for the regular VC. The thread title should be changed to reflect this.

Edit: Seems the title has been updated now. Nevermind me, then.

I dunno, undecided could still mean that they haven't decided if they are going to have it or not. So it definitely could still be an "if". They haven't really mentioned VC at all in regards to Switch.

Every translation has had the word "schedule". You don't say the "schedule" is undecided if it's never going to happen, that makes no sense.

Gilby

Just put a netflix-like streaming service on your system already (for NES/SNES/GBA at least)! Do they not want to because it would make too much money?

Minsc

Gold Member
”Classic Games Selection (tentative name) is different from the [Virtual Console]," a spokesperson told the Japanese magazine. The spokesperson then added that Nintendo's schedule for selling Virtual Console games is ”still undecided."

Sounds like they have not decided on a schedule, so it's accurate to say it's not necessarily getting VC.

If VC comes out in 6 years alongside the Switch replacement, does it still really count?

I've updated the title to Polygon's new title, but not announcing a date for VC doesn't instill any confidence in me for it. They're got their work cut out for them for sure, Nintendo really needs to pick up the pace on implementing some updates to the OS and other areas of the Switch.

jts

...hate me...
Sounds like they have not decided on a schedule, so it's accurate to say it's not necessarily getting VC.

If VC comes out in 6 years alongside the Switch replacement, does it still really count?

It's implied they are discussing the Switch.

MoonFrog

Every translation has had the word "schedule". You don't say the "schedule" is undecided if it's never going to happen, that makes no sense.
If scheduling is undecided there is the possibility it never is decided and things don't happen, but if scheduling is being decided, the assumption is it is happening at some point, at least that's the assumption while the process is under way.

What is on the table is when and how as they present it not if, even if being uncommitted and undecided as to the former could lead to re-evaluating the latter.

mas8705

Honestly after the stunt that was pulled by Microsoft with the game pass, I wonder if Nintendo would even dare to dance around the idea of a "Netflix" like service for their classic line up. Hell knows that if they did that, they would easily have people rush in. Not really sure what's holding them back outside of apparently wanting to help out scalpers if they try and pull a stunt like the NES classic again.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Sounds like we're playing by Schrodinger's rules here ;)

PSFan

But it could mean that they are undecided if they are going to schedule it at all. It really feels like they are slowly and quietly trying to bury the VC in favor of something else.

And pulling this vagueness and dragging their feet BS again, is only going to end up biting them in the ass yet again when hackers bust the thing open and people start running their own emulators on it. It was piss easy on Wii and WiiU and that probably caused the VC not to do so hotly for them.

It's been updated now. Sorry I can't monitor Polygon's article for changes more frequently than once an hour.

No worries, I definitely understand. I don't blame you at all for using their original headline, that's probably what I would've done too.

I've updated the title to Polygon's new title, but not announcing a date for VC doesn't instill any confidence in me for it. They're got their work cut out for them for sure, Nintendo really needs to pick up the pace on implementing some updates to the OS and other areas of the Switch.

I absolutely agree with this. It certainly makes it sound doubtful that we'll see the VC announced at E3, though I'd say it's still possible.

But it could mean that they are undecided if they are going to schedule it at all. It really feels like they are slowly and quietly trying to bury the VC in favor of something else.

I don't know Japanese so I can't comment on the semantics in that language, but in English nobody will refer to a program like the VC and say "the VC schedule is currently undecided" if they don't have the intention to actually create a schedule. They wouldn't choose the word "schedule" if they haven't decided that it will eventually be implemented.

Again, that's how I understand it in English. I'm certainly open to there being some semantic difference in the original Japanese.

jts

...hate me...

And pulling this vagueness and dragging their feet BS again, is only going to end up biting them in the ass yet again when hackers bust the thing open and people start running their own emulators on it. It was piss easy on Wii and WiiU and that probably caused the VC not to do so hotly for them.
Hackers will try to hack the Switch (or any worthwhile device) regardless of what Nintendo says or does about Virtual Console...

Don't think cheap old games that compete for the gamers' time and money with new expensive games are a winning scenario for Nintendo (or other platform holders) in any situation, hence why they are treated as such.

Hilarion

Ya'll are way too obsessed with the VC anyway. Aren't you sick of these games by now? This was hot shit back on the Wii but MAN if I never play an old game again it'll be too soon.

I massively prefer older video games to modern ones, pretty much across the board, so no. Modern games tend to view a lot of the things I really like (2D top down or sidescrolling, platforming, turn-based RPGs) as outdated. Pretty much why the only Gen 7 system I had was a DS...no one on other platforms at the time were competing with Dragon Quest IV-VI remakes or with New Super Mario Bros.

Ya'll are way too obsessed with the VC anyway. Aren't you sick of these games by now?

No. I love the idea of digital preservation of retro games, and being able to buy them on new consoles is great. I like having a digital library of games that are hard to find, or really expensive when you manage to track down a cart. That may or may not work.

The idea of a storefront for these games, keeping them available whenever and on subsequent consoles is very important to me. It's why I don't like the idea of a Netflix style rotation as well.

And they were hot shit before and after the Wii VC lol

qko

If they do rebrand virtual console, it better not be "Classics". 3D or no 3D, I dunno if I'd call Urban Champion a "classic"

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I just want a VC library with the quality and frequency that Wii got. Man those were good times. WiiU VC was some bullshit

orioto

Good Art™
It also seems to me they're trying to delay the death of it rather than its arrival. And we've had SE, and SNK releasing games at higher prices independently. Maybe Nintendo prefers that model.

It also seems to me they're trying to delay the death of it rather than its arrival. And we've had SE, and SNK releasing games at higher prices independently. Maybe Nintendo prefers that model.

Providing an outlet for people to just straight up buy the classic games for whatever reason and not just providing access to them with the subscription account is always the easiest solution. Those VC prices were a bit overpriced to begin with in my opinion so I don't know why they would go for the retail model.

Fox Mulder

I wish they released a tiny plug n play system with like 30 games. I bet it would sell a bunch.

I'm over VC and won't give them another dime for their drip fed bullshit.

Not trying to shitpost, but it's Polygon on the subject of Nintendo. Wouldn't exactly call them enthusiasts.

In what sense wouldn't you call them enthusiasts:

Not Enthusiasts as in Not Amateurs+, aka professionals?

Or Not Enthusiasts as in dragging their feet?

I'd lean towards the second one, since they disturbingly often make mistakes when covering Nintendo content due to total lack of research. But the first one could be appliable historically since I think they also were supposed to be the "serious" ones at some point...

They're not going to announce it in some random interview.

Ok, so some of you don't understand how Nintendo PR works. They pretty much announce EVERYTHING on their own terms and almost never give any new info in an interview with the press. They have no issues being coy or outright lying in order to reveal things when they're ready.

A couple random examples.

- Nintendo straight up denied any chance of a new 3DS hardware revision coming in the near future. Less than a week later, the 3DS XL was announced.

- Miyamoto said they might be ready to show a new 3D Mario game at E3 2017. Super Mario Odyssey was announced six months before E3 2017.

The idea that Nintendo is unsure of their future Virtual Console plans is almost certainly bogus.

jdstorm

Banned
Ok, so some of you don't understand how Nintendo PR works. They pretty much announce EVERYTHING on their own terms and almost never give any new info in an interview with the press. They have no issues being coy or outright lying in order to reveal things when they're ready.

A couple random examples.

- Nintendo straight up denied any chance of a new 3DS hardware revision coming in the near future. Less than a week later, the 3DS XL was announced.

- Miyamoto said they might be ready to show a new 3D Mario game at E3 2017. Super Mario Odyssey was announced six months before E3 2017.

The idea that Nintendo is unsure of their future Virtual Console plans is almost certainly bogus.

I'm not sure i buy that. Obviously Nintendo announce everything on their own terms, however Nintendo is not always a company with a singular viewpoint. The WiiU is proof of that, with the WiiU being a Frankenstein of a console aledgedly built more to apease different views within Nintendo itself rather then any specific audience.

I wouldnt be suprised if this lack of communication on upcoming online services was caused by a similar amount of indecision caused by opposing viewpoints. Its pretty notable that online services on the Switch are vastly inferior to those on the WiiU to the point where they feel like an after thought.

Wouldn't surprise me if they drop the Virtual Console branding and continue on with the branding they used for the NES Classic instead.

NES_classics_logo.png

With most third parties having ignored the Virtual Console last generation anyway, it probably makes more sense to just drop it and move on.

good idea. 'Virtual Console' is shitty and the brand seems tainted... and if anyone can own the name CLASSICS it's Nintendo.

Top Bottom