• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon says Ubisoft said Watch Dogs Wii U wasn't canned, [retracts statement]

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wouldn't say fail, but I don't see a console that's just Nintendo software break 30 million. This is taking into consideration that they can pump out software faster after the development consolidation.

Depends on your definition of failure. With WiiU. I doubt they will break 20 million when the pull the plug. I don't see how you could call that a success.

I doubt anyone would buy another Nintendo home console again hoping to get good 3rd party coverage. That leaves 1st party only and is anyone really willing to pay £300 just for a Nintendo first party machine. I know I won't. How big a market do you think that would be? So no. I can't see any further Nintendo home console being anywhere near successful.

Depends on your definition of failure. With WiiU. I doubt they will break 20 million when the pull the plug. I don't see how you could call that a success.

I doubt anyone would buy another Nintendo home console again hoping to get good 3rd party coverage. That leaves 1st party only and is anyone really willing to pay £300 just for a Nintendo first party machine. I know I won't. How big a market do you think that would be? So no. I can't see any further Nintendo home console being anywhere near successful.

Up until the WiiU, I was willing to pay for Nintendo's boxes just for first party titles.

After the Wii and as I've gotten older, I'm done with Nintendo until they either start offering a wider array of first party titles or get third parties back on their side.

Wolfie5

Up until the WiiU, I was willing to pay for Nintendo's boxes just for first party titles.

After the Wii and as I've gotten older, I'm done with Nintendo until they either start offering a wider array of first party titles or get third parties back on their side.

Kinda my situation as well, only it's just Wii U, it's not me ;)
For a new Nintendo console, the first year software felt safe, uninspired and not enough diversity. It's only been one year and it already feels old.

Hopefully second year will deliver much better, and I will get excited for a new Nintendo console again.

Ubisoft's refusal to comment is becoming unprofessional. If they had something planned they should at least say something like "stay tuned"

Being serious though

maybe Ubi is waiting for something to make the final call... hence on why they haven't comment about it yet

they are likely finalizing the decision

JaseMath

I feel kind of the same. In all honesty, I'm growing really, really tired of the usual suspects – the Mario's and Zelda's – since I feel they're all a money grab these days.

Patryn

Ubisoft's refusal to comment is becoming unprofessional. If they had something planned they should at least say something like "stay tuned"

How is it unprofessional? They're just waiting for their financial conference call on Feb. 10th. I fully suspect we'll get a release date and confirmation of platforms for the game on that date (i.e. they'll announce the cancellation of Watch_Dogs on Wii U by omission by ceasing to list it as a platform for the game).

Brofield

Well, if I can't get it new on Wii U, I'll buy used on one of the PlayStations.

This is getting ridiculously out of hand. I thought I was getting ready to trust Ubisoft again after the Rayman Legends debacle, but I see I should have held my original opinion of them.

prag16

Banned
They have lost control of the narrative. Waiting to announce it does not exclude the option to say "stay tuned"

As has been said several times: If they respond to false rumors to dispel them, that can be taken to mean rumors they do NOT respond to are true rumors.

So they just don't respond to any rumors. This is pretty standard policy for many companies.

Being serious though

maybe Ubi is waiting for something to make the final call... hence on why they haven't comment about it yet

they are likely finalizing the decision

Wii U version is probably just going to come in later, after Ubi sees how Mario Kart 8 does on the system

I'm baffled by the amount of comments on this subject.
To be fair, as was pointed out earlier, it's hugely symbolic in that it would signal one of the two last remaining major third parties dropping support, 15 months after launch. So yeah, I see how it would foster so much discussion, disquiet or glee depending on the posters.

Oppo

10% people actually interested in buying Watch Dogs for Wii U

90% trolls wanting to relish in Wii U failures

Please spare us the persecution complex.

Some of us are simply fascinated by this turn of events; it's not exactly biz as usual.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's not about buying the game on Wii U or not.

It's about the state of third-party support on Wii U.

10% people actually interested in buying Watch Dogs for Wii U

90% trolls wanting to relish in Wii U failures

Fascination in determining Ubisoft's future support for the system is not synonymous with "trolls wanting to relish in Wii U failures."

I admit...I love my Wii U but I have no intention of purchasing any non-Nintendo, core, mature game like Splinter Cell or Watch_Dogs on the system. My impetus behind participating in the discussion is grounded in my fascination with the overall participation of 3rd-parties in the next gen console environment.

As we've seen, the landscape for gaming continues to shift and evolve with the times. I'm interested in the nuances of that process, not necessarily of the Wii U's failure. The discussion is platform-agnostic. If the same thing was happening to Xbox One, for example, I would be interested in that as well.

It's also not limited to failure. I'm also particularly interested in how third-party support decides its platforms...for example, we see publishers like Take Two that continue to pledge support primarily to the PS3 and 360 for the time being instead of immediately committing all of their titles to next-gen.

dan2026

The Wii U is kind of like a corpse that occasionally twitches, so people run over thinking it's alive, but its only gas escaping.

AzaK

Nintendo fans don't owe Nintendo anything.

However, presumably Wii U owners would like more third party games on their console. It may already be too late but if there's to be any hope of the Wii U getting any third-party AAA games then Watch_Dogs needs to sell.
It's a lost cause AFAIC and I'm no longer willing to place any faith in anything Nintendo. I'll buy based on action, not words. Nintendo failed to make good on their promises with Wii U and have mismanaged this console so badly that I am not going to support it except for maybe 1 or two more games that I typically buy Nintendo consoles for when they are finally released. If Nintendo act like they want Wii U to be a first party machine, I'll help them realise their vision. I'll get games for my 360 until I get a PS4.

-Stranger-

While still unconfirmed, most likely it's been cancelled. Ubisoft is refusing to make a statement.

Damn, i got Black Flag on Wii U and would like this in my Wii U collection as well.
I reckon they could do some cool things will the gamepad with this game.

How much better would the graphics be on XB1 i wonder, i suppose i could get it for that.

jmizzal

Damn, i got Black Flag on Wii U and would like this in my Wii U collection as well.
I reckon they could do some cool things will the gamepad with this game.

How much better would the graphics be on XB1 i wonder, i suppose i could get it for that.

Its still coming out for WiiU, nobody has said it was canceled, until then its still coming out

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Its still coming out for WiiU, nobody has said it was canceled, until then its still coming out

I'd say the fact that Ubi won't comment on the rumours washes away the "It's still on until somebody says otherwise" stance. In other words, we don't know, because some voices are saying one thing and the authoritative one is staying silent.

Aaron

It took Sega a long time to admit Aliens Colonial Marines WiiU was cancelled. Publishers like to avoid such statements until the last minute. I'm not saying it's definitely cancelled, but I wouldn't put a preorder on it either.

Top Bottom