• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon says Ubisoft said Watch Dogs Wii U wasn't canned, [retracts statement]

I'm not commenting specifically in the case of WD, but it's not as simple as you say.
It isn't like publishers go, 'okay today I will ship 200,000 copies of Game X to recoup my losses!' - retailers have to actually order copies of the game. People like to say 'why didn't EA ship more?!' like it's some unilateral decision. They have big sales teams that meet with Walmart and Target and GameStop that actually have to sellin-in orders to these guys. Sometimes, they just don't buy. If Target and WM decide the return isn't there or the title is a risk, they might just be like - naw, all good. i'm only going to carry ps3/4/xbox/one platforms today, here's a 500k day-one order on what I know I can sell.

So, that's a factor. If pubs can sell in enough, they might just not ship, unless someone comes in with financial incentives or they make deals with retailers requring them to carry SKUs in exchange for a guaranteed marketing spend/supprot and things like that.

THis, by the way, is how most of retail works - not just gaming.

I wonder what the situation has been like in meetings with retailers about Watch_Dogs.

jmizzal

I'm not commenting specifically in the case of WD, but it's not as simple as you say.
It isn't like publishers go, 'okay today I will ship 200,000 copies of Game X to recoup my losses!' - retailers have to actually order copies of the game. People like to say 'why didn't EA ship more?!' like it's some unilateral decision. They have big sales teams that meet with Walmart and Target and GameStop that actually have to sellin-in orders to these guys. Sometimes, they just don't buy. If Target and WM decide the return isn't there or the title is a risk, they might just be like - naw, all good. i'm only going to carry ps3/4/xbox/one platforms today, here's a 500k day-one order on what I know I can sell.

So, that's a factor. If pubs can sell in enough, they might just not ship, unless someone comes in with financial incentives or they make deals with retailers requring them to carry SKUs in exchange for a guaranteed marketing spend/supprot and things like that.

With that being said if retailers didnt want to carry the game, it would make sense for Nintendo/ Ubisoft to put WiiU version as a eShop exclusive if the game was pretty much done right?

trinest

This Polygon story says that Ubisoft confirmed to them at the time. It's literally in the text of the article in the OP. It seems that Kotaku did not get confirmation from Ubisoft though, just from GameStop.

Is it enough to quench the rumour though? In passing off the record unconfirmable "hey its still in development" doesn't mean a thing if its not on record. The game could potentially be cancelled closer to release, or now rushed out port of the 360/PS3 version because of fan complaints.

As a gamer however I jumped ship awhile ago when the game was set to be out last year. I thought while the Wii U version would be cool, I was more worried about it been a port of the PS3/360 version. Which I'm surprised didn't get any conformation and as talked about as it been cancelled to the point we even got off the record stuff about the games development. At least I didn't see anything at the time?

Ubisoft has had its own issues with release dates and delays and platform changes with some games previously. Why do we trust them on this now, when they aren't going to come out in the open and say it?

Heck it doesn't even need to be directly relating to this, once they get the trademark back, they can release media for the game and start the train rolling again. If the Wii U is obmited from this promotional material, then hey its cancelled. But if it isn't, then it still exists, and it is an easy way to do a conformation rather then "we don't comment on rumor and speculation".

tumblr_inline_mw8gdikW7F1s3y5te.gif

I think this could explain the silence from Ubi; even they don't know if it's cancelled or not.

jmizzal

You put sense and Nintendo in the same sentence there.

Lol I know but it would be really dumb for the game to never see the light on WiiU if the game was done and it only didnt come out because retailers dont want to carry it.

I think this could explain the silence from Ubi; even they don't know if it's cancelled or not.

Like has been said in the other thread something could be being worked out with Ubisoft, Nintendo and retailers, so Ubisoft prob cant really say anything thats possible

Abriael

Banned
Ubisoft is quick to denounce the "abandoned trademark" news, but refuses to confirm what platforms it's releasing on. :p

There's a small difference between communication with a government body about official acts on intellectual property and journalists asking them for info on a rumor :D

Man, I really want them to just come clean on this game already. If the Wii U version exists and doesn't suck, I will definitely be buying it.

Oddduck

There's a small difference between communication with a government body about official acts on intellectual property and journalists asking them for info on a rumor :D

The existence of a Wii U version of Watch_Dogs isn't exactly a rumor. We've known of it's existence for awhile. So why are they treating the existence of a Wii U version like a rumor?

We're not talking about a game that Ubisoft hasn't announced to the public yet.

Sounds like a good time for a Watch_Dogs-related press release!

For example, a fake press release like this would be just perfect:

"We apologize for the inconvenience and confusion that have occurred over this incident.

In Watch Dogs, players will be immersed in a living, breathing and fully connected recreation of Chicago. Players will assume the role of Aiden Pearce, a new type of vigilante who, with the help of his smartphone, will use his ability to hack into Chicago’s central operating system (ctOS) and control almost every element of the city. Aiden will be able to tap into the city’s omnipresent security cameras, download personal information to locate a target, control systems such as traffic lights or public transportation to stop a chase, and more. The city of Chicago is now the ultimate weapon. Fans can stay connected to Watch Dogs by visiting the official website, Facebook page and Twitter account. Watch Dogs will release for PC, PS3, Xbox 360, the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Wii U in fiscal year 2014-2015."

jmizzal

Yea one is a pretty big deal of falsely using their name, the other is a rumor from one gamestop error in Italy on one platform and also thats not even a rumor the thing was a fake trademark abandonment it happened for real

AndrewPL

if Ubisoft aren't releasing DLC for Watchdogs like the did with AC4...then as far as I am concerned they may as well cancel it as I'd buy it on another system. (even if I don't intend to buy the DLC unless it is 75% off on a sale)

Glass Joe

Ubisoft is quick to publicly denounce the "abandoned trademark" news, but refuses to confirm what platforms it's releasing on. :p

That's not precisely true. It seems the moment the thought of the actual game being cancelled came up, Ubisoft responded to that "rumor." I couldn't help but notice how they chose to respond to a tweet with PS4 and XboxOne hashtags. Not too much of a stretch to think they could have responded to a similar tweet mentioning the Wii U. I think the U version is canned, dangit. :-/

Twitter said:
Paul Griffin @griffmeister69
"@gooner4life_uk: Watch_Dogs has been cancelled? #PS4 #XboxOne @Ubisoft ??? @UbisoftMTL what's going on?" What!!!! Cancelled??

Ubisoft Montréal @UbisoftMTL
@griffmeister69 @gooner4life_uk I can assure you that Watch_Dogs is still being polished as we speak. cc. @Ubisoft

EDIT: Aquamarine, I just saw your post about the Press Release. Are you saying they should say something like that, or that they just DID?

It's still all so confusing but if this thread is about the same amount of replies as it is now tomorrow, I will take it as it's coming out for the Wii U.

If it's 18 pages, I will take it it's canned.

That's not precisely true. It seems the moment the thought of the actual game being cancelled came up, Ubisoft responded to that "rumor." I couldn't help but notice how they chose to respond to a tweet with PS4 and XboxOne hashtags. Not too much of a stretch to think they could have responded to a similar tweet mentioning the Wii U. I think the U version is canned, dangit. :-/

EDIT: Aquamarine, I just saw your post about the Press Release. Wow, it's nice to be wrong.

No no, that was a fake press release I made. I said it would be a good idea to make a press release LIKE that.

jmizzal

EDIT: Aquamarine, I just saw your post about the Press Release. Are you saying they should say something like that, or that they just DID?

Also that was not a rumor they responded too

Glass Joe

My skills at making fake press releases are too convincing!

I edited my edit after noticing you didn't source it, realizing you meant that as offering them advice. Yeah, they SHOULD do something like that, and no reason they wouldn't IMO, unless the Wii U version is in question/cancelled.

Zero148

If you own another platform this game will be released on, I have to ask... why would you only buy the game if it has a Wii U release?

because the WiiU is my primary gaming platform and I enjoy playing games off TV while watching TV, or in bed. Haven't touched my 360 for over a year (maybe I played some Minecraft coop in 2013, but that's it).

Also I like to support publishers that still support the WiiU (if they do). Sounds weird, I know but somehow I'm a Nintendo fanboy.

Maybe I will get the game during a steam sale in a few years if it skips the WiiU and I have built a PC to check out some third party games I missed

because the WiiU is my primary gaming platform and I enjoy playing games off TV while watching TV, or in bed. Haven't touched my 360 for over a year (maybe I played some Minecraft coop in 2013, but that's it).

Also I like to support publishers that still support the WiiU (if they do). Sounds weird, I know but somehow I'm a Nintendo fanboy.

Maybe I will get the game during a steam sale in a few years if it skips the WiiU and I have built a PC to check out some third party games I missed

Yeah, I can understand that. I'm not buying any new games for the PS3/360 because I'm tired of those consoles. Supporting publishers isn't a bad thing either (even though we both know it's not going to acheive anything for Wii U support), and understandably off-TV play is a big factor for some people so that's cool too.

This seems like a STEAM sale game for me... unless the gamepad functions are exceptional, in which case it will be a Wii U sale game. lol.

AzaK

Every Nintendo fan should go out and buy five copies of this game when it's released.

Why? It's not a Nintendo game for one. It will be basically the 360/PS3 version or worse. Maybe not even get any DLC. I don't owe Nintendo anything. In fact, if I had to chose Nintendo should give one copy free to each Wii U owner for all the bullshit they have pulled.

Mlatador

Banned
Every Nintendo fan should go out and buy five copies of this game when it's released.

I only buy games if they are good and worth my money. Should this be the case with Watch Dogs, I'll get it, if not, well, then not.

Oh, and should the game end up being just another "AssCreed" game, but with a modern setting and guns and the hacking part only an unsubstantial filler between objectives, I will also not get it.

schaft0620

Not everyone. As long as Ubisoft have implemented the GamePad features well for a game that's practically made for the controller then the Wii U SKU should be the definitive version. I'll certainly be getting it for the Wii U.

Extra content confirmed for PS4/PS3

Sneds

Why? It's not a Nintendo game for one. It will be basically the 360/PS3 version or worse. Maybe not even get any DLC. I don't owe Nintendo anything. In fact, if I had to chose Nintendo should give one copy free to each Wii U owner for all the bullshit they have pulled.

I only buy games if they are good and worth my money. Should this be the case with Watch Dogs, I'll get it, if not, well, then not.

Oh, and should the game end up being just another "AssCreed" game, but with a modern setting and guns and the hacking part only an unsubstantial filler between objectives, I will also not get it.

Nintendo fans owe Nintendo nothing.

Thats more money than buying a brand new WiiU.

Nintendo fans don't owe Nintendo anything.

However, presumably Wii U owners would like more third party games on their console. It may already be too late but if there's to be any hope of the Wii U getting any third-party AAA games then Watch_Dogs needs to sell.

Yagami_Sama

I was extremely interested in this game.

I was feeling the same about Assassin's Creed 3, and when I played Assassin`s Creed, all that current time adventure thing, was something that I did not like and all that open world thing for Watch Dogs is it making me feel a little bit insecure. Just wander in the entire world, hacking and doing stuff like that without a goal or a nice plot will make the game suck, at least for me.

I will wait and see some impressions, in order to decide if I buy or not.

Nintendo fans don't owe Nintendo anything.

However, presumably Wii U owners would like more third party games on their console. It may already be too late but if there's to be any hope of the Wii U getting any third-party AAA games then Watch_Dogs needs to sell.

As long as this version isn't gimped compared to the 360/ps3 versions, then I'll be getting it. (if it comes out at all...)

Not because I'm trying to support anybody though. I'm not in the position to support every third party game just because I would like more third party games. Nintendo's job is to seek relations with those developers, not the consumer. If they want their product to sell, it's their job to do it, not ours. We simply can't turn that around for them.

Oddduck

Polygon edited their article. They got rid of the word Ubisoft and replaced it with GameStop.

Last month, reports began circling of GameStop stores in Italy and the U.S. canceling pre-orders for Watch Dogs on Wii U. GameStop told Polygon at the time that the Wii U version had not been canceled, but Nintendo's third quarter financial report published on Jan. 30 did not list Watch Dogs as a Wii U title coming this fiscal year.

Top Bottom