• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Who wrote this article? Sorry my Polyban remains intact.

kkv85mt.png

https://twitter.com/ctplante

Curufinwe

Nicely done, Mr Plante.

But the Xbox One policy doesn't share the good aspects of PC gaming. PC games can be given away by developers. PC games can be sold without DRM. There are alternative retailers, allowing the consumer to choose where he or she buys from. And because there is choice, there is competition, and because there is competition, there is competitive pricing.

On PC, you can "donate" to the Humble Bundle and choose precise amounts of cash to award a game's creator. On PC, you can play alpha builds of games that are months if not years from completion, and participate in some capacity in that game's development. With PC, publishers are free to do all of the awful things offered by the Xbox One. But they're also free to do things that are responsible and consumer-friendly.

One additional thing that doesn't pertain to Xbox One's policy per say, but the system itself. A PC is compatible with a massive catalogue of over two decades worth of games. An Xbox One is not. Never have the words fresh start sounded so awful.

Xbox One's policy, as it stands, includes all of the burdensome aspects of PC gaming and none of the best.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wait, I thought Polygon was on their payroll?

The world doesn't make sense anymore!

Somebody hold me, please.

I SAID HOLD ME

Jonboy

Hmm... Trying to counter a certain, recent review that led to questions about a potential bias?

Seriously though, nice article. Glad to see Plante had the guts to publish it.

fertygo

What.. its needed minimum 1.5mbps bandwith?

LOOOOOOOL

My connection in this poor fuck country not even reach that.

Izick

"We now know"

Wait, these guys have been defending the 'potential' policy for weeks and not that it's confirmed, they oppose it?

So they should stick to their guns? They changed their* stance as the news changed.

(*Note: Not even "their" but rather this article's author in particular. He can't speak for all of Polygon, but I would think most others there tend to agree with him if this has been put up.)

ElRenoRaven

I SAID HOLD ME

*runs to hold bishopti before he bans everyone for not holding him*

At least I'm safe suckers!!

Nah seriously it's nuts isn't it?

Big thanks to ALL the press sites who are calling Microsoft out on this. We complain about reviews and "lol games journalism" when it comes to click-hungry blog posts - but this is a major anti-consumer change that Microsoft is attempting to force on the industry and they need to be made aware that there are a lot of us who won't stand for it, media included.

Empty

good article. nice to see people in the gaming press advocating for their readers so strongly instead of being all like well i don't buy used games etc and the internet works fine in san fransisco or just being this sucks but what can ya do, both of which i imagine are very easy responses.

Perkel

Banned
Polygon. You did good fucking job writing what you should write.

Continue that trend and everybody will be happy.

bfellow

Neo Member
First the PRISM controversy and now this biting opinion that many agree has been gnawing on Microsoft. I hope they change their ways like listening to the people who wanted Windows 8 to have the simple Start button to be back (which will in Win 8.1).

I SAID HOLD ME

Looks like even the most questionable of sources can properly interpret the direction the gale force winds are blowing, and turn such as to not get blown away.

ramparter

Banned
It's a trap, they know how to play this game. Wait to see what they'll be saying after E3 and most importantly before X1 launch.

Top Bottom