• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

krang

Discussion based on rumours of target specs for devices not even announced that may not release for over 12 months literally couldn't go anywhere anyway. I've never seen such a long thread extrapolating so many "maybes" from so little known facts. It's pointless.

Folks should be Ali thread paying their respects instead of playing guessing games with no definite facts.

It's a gaming forum - people want to talk about this. Next you'll be telling everyone they're nerds.

Discussion based on rumours of target specs for devices not even announced that may not release for over 12 months literally couldn't go anywhere anyway. I've never seen such a long thread extrapolating so many "maybes" from so little known facts. It's pointless.

Folks should be Ali thread paying their respects instead of playing guessing games with no definite facts.

Hey it could be the NX thread. They don't even know what the form factor is. They have fake mockups and all.

EGM1966

Well...I mean, yeah? We still don't have Battle Toads or Crash. But Phil would have to know that the creative chatter shirt is a bad idea if they don't have a hand to play.

It would have been crass to just say burn the thread.
True. Being well mannered s the best.

To be fair I reckon this is a thread that's going to be resurrected soon as detail/facts emerge with winners/losers called out accordingly depending on how close they got to the actual result.

anothertech

you make some good points. I was wrong. stop yelling at me
No, you weren't wrong. Someone 'lost' the COD marketing title. And that someone was MS, as they were the ones that had it.

You don't go and stop marketing to the biggest player base in gaming history on purpose. Business 101 and all that.

jaypah

True. Being well mannered s the best.

To be fair I reckon this is a thread that's going to be resurrected soon as detail/facts emerge with winners/losers called out accordingly depending on how close they got to the actual result.

Certainly. But hanging around GAF for damn near a decade one thing I learned is to not try to predict the world of video games. Not only are you likely to be wrong but it'll be a part of our recorded history. I love watching other people lay it all on the line though. Good times.

anothertech

Neither make the console they run on a failure which is the main point the person was trying to make.
This is 100% true.

What was being argued was the perception of 'failure' though which is why the games were brought up in the first place. SFV does nothing for ps4 perception of success, H5 and TR underperformance just add to the rest of Xbone shortcomings though.

And the console is not a failure, in any sense of the word. It's just that being so far behind its competitor in sales and such makes it look so.

Chobel

Not to sound like an asshole, but why should I pay respect to Mohamed Ali? Am I morally obliged to do that or what?

Zedox

I agree with you if it's a 2017 release.

But Xbox E3 has VR sections, MS hinting at it and telling their story at E3 etc. Everything is pointing towards it being revealed at E3.

They can't just go "oh uhh we're bringing out a more powerful xbox for VR, here are the games, stay tuned next year for more information on the hardware!"

This is why I said that the computex announcement was important. Xbox VR is nothing more than Xbox getting Windows Holographic APIs on its system. Windows Holographic means that any Windows 10 device has access to those APIs and can create AR/VR experiences (I know I know, a MS saying...but you know what I mean) as a VR app or game but they don't have to be hardcore and "bringing all them pixels". You can have a "mobile VR" like experience on your Xbox One but the apps are made by indie devs and such, using the power of the Xbox One.

It will be no different for Scorpio but that will power the more powerful headsets (Vive, Oculus). I would think an announcement of indie devs and OEMs making non-popular headsets working on the Xbox One and saying the Vive and Oculus are coming to the Xbox platform in the "near future" is a very reasonable thing for the Xbox team to do. That can excite and not have to go to detail of Scorpio at all.

It's a gaming forum - people want to talk about this. Next you'll be telling everyone they're nerds.

Hey shut up nerd! :) <3

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
No, you weren't wrong. Someone 'lost' the COD marketing title. And that someone was MS, as they were the ones that had it.

You don't go and stop marketing to the biggest player base in gaming history on purpose. Business 101 and all that.

Do people not know that MS was pushing Halo 5 aggressively, even in the eSports space? Does it occur to anyone that they might want to concentrate on one franchise? Their OWN franchise? Could be due to, I don't know. May be money? limited resources? or just not worth investing in COD brand?

I just can not imagine a scenario where money MS was paying wasn't enough for Activison, and Activison said fuck off and went with Sony and some how Sony paid more lol

Not to sound like an asshole, but why should I pay respect to Mohamed Ali? Am I morally obliged to do that or what?

Yeah I mean it's sad, but...people who never paid attention to him all their life all of a sudden make out like they are lifetime fans. I am not a fan of everyone coming out of the woodwork praising someone when they pass on. It's fake from many. He was a great human being but seriously, at the end of the day him passing means no more to me then anyone else, we are all equals in my eyes.

anothertech

Do people not know that MS was pushing Halo 5 aggressively, even in the eSports space? Does it occur to anyone that they might want to concentrate on one franchise? Their OWN franchise? Could be due to, I don't know. May be money? limited resources? or just not worth investing in COD brand?
This is def a point they wanted to focus on, but doesn't mean they couldn't have done both, like every previous year.

No company in gaming would have let that marketing deal go purposely.

Chobel

Dropping it for one year I can get that? Lose multiyear contract of the biggest game because one game that happens every three years? That doesn't make any sense. And yes they can do both, especially that Halo is greatly different than CoD.

I just can not imagine a scenario where money MS was paying wasn't enough for Activison, and Activison said fuck off and went with Sony and some how Sony paid more lol

Come on, do you really think any platform holder would want to let that deal go willingly? COD is still a monster regardless what people say on forums, it sells what 20 mill + every year? MS did Halo and COD for years before, and Halo did better then.

Come on, do you really think any platform holder would want to let that deal go willingly? COD is still a monster regardless what people say on forums, it sells what 20 mill + every year? MS did Halo and COD for years before, and Halo did better then.

I believe it was MS trying to focus more on their franchises instead of paying millions and millions to push advertising of software they don't own. They thought it wouldn't make a difference since they already "had" the COD crowd. It was a bad bet.

jesu

MS were paying a fortune for the COD deal.
Kotick said Activision were getting $10 from every gold sub sold.

Not renewing it was cost cutting.

We're calling Primethius fanboy now? Geez Leyasu, stating console market realities is not an attack on your favorite console/company.

I'm gonna need a source for the bold, because I don't believe for a second there's a generic adaptive resolution solution that works in all situations.

I'm not saying it works on all situations, I only said the documentation said this was on by default and titles having trouble achieving good performance should use it.

Many games not having dynamic resolution on xbone so who knows if it's because it didn't worked very well, or if just by design of the developers to bypass that.

I dont have the leaked sdk anymore, but i did found a write up from eurogamer:

The document specifically notes that if you're having trouble hitting your target frame-rate at the target resolution, developers should consider resizing resolution based on GPU load. What's fascinating is that Microsoft provides a method for doing just that, allowing the system to adjust resolution on a frame-by-frame basis. It's interesting to note that the only title we're aware of that actually uses this technology is Wolfenstein: The New Order, but it's unclear whether the Microsoft API is utilised, or whether id Tech 5's custom approach is used instead. As the same effect is in use on the PS4 version, we suspect it's the latter.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-evolution-of-xbox-one-as-told-by-sdk-leak

Xbox buyers had better versions of ps2 games same with 360 over ps3. Xbox gamers are in a wealthier demographic and buy more games per console. It only makes sense that xbox will be more powerful than neo and occulus aligns with that.

anothertech

Neo enabled games cannot be released until after 20th September. Read into that what you may.
Wow really? What is the release date of FF15?

I'm guessing this just means games with the 'enhanced mode' enabled. The previous game library will still run better on the new hardware I'm guessing, at least for frame rates.

I wonder if Scorpio will have any such limitations.

Xbox buyers had better versions of ps2 games same with 360 over ps3. Xbox gamers are in a wealthier demographic and buy more games per console. It only makes sense that xbox will be more powerful than neo and occulus aligns with that.

Haha, good post, would read again.

Certainly. But hanging around GAF for damn near a decade one thing I learned is to not try to predict the world of video games. Not only are you likely to be wrong but it'll be a part of our recorded history. I love watching other people lay it all on the line though. Good times.

This man speaks sense.

anothertech

No. I would say this is not a statement based on reality.

You know what's funny in this thread is the fire insurance ad at the bottom of the page lol.

samn

MS is rumored to release a new more powerful system and got their act together to focus on core games so instead of some folks saying: "Great, I'm glad to hear it. Looking forward to see what they bring to the table", you get stuff like this:

· XBOX has no exclusives. They're all on PC now. XBOX has no games.

· I'm moving to PC gaming. I hate new consoles might release every 3 or 4 years. I'm going to move to a platform where I'll have a high up front cost of over $1,400 and then a new $300-$400 GPU every 3 years.

· PlayStation NEO has the perfect balance of price (unannounced) and power (rumored). XBOX will be releasing too late (rumored) and will be too expensive (rumored) and no-one will want it.

· PlayStation NEO has so much overhead. Sony will just raise the clocks to compete with the Scorpio.

· There is no way people are going to buy the competitors console. They are locked into "the ecosystem" and will just continue on in perpetuity. The 2:1 ratio is here to stay forever.

It's about time to create a bingo card. Did I miss any?

If you want the widest possible spectrum of opinion then don't visit gaming forums. There just isn't that much to discuss.

Microsoft used to mention it all the time in 360 days, its common knowledge .. Seems like its prob still true now..

http://www.gamepur.com/news/22092-xbox-one-has-better-software-attach-rate-rather-ps4-ubisoft.html

Pretty obvious If you buy more games you likely to be wealthier to. Look at the game selection playstation always skews towards kids games clank vs sunsetoverdrive.

That explains why the more expensive ps3 sold faster then 360. That article also proves nothing, attach rate when your userbase is 50% lower does not prove your point. The larger the userbase the more spread out the userbase tastes are and buying habits. Unless you have accurate numbers your talking out of your ass.

Top Bottom