• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Yes, a new Marvel vs. Capcom game is in development. (X-Men gone, MCU focus)

Which Marvel character are you most looking forward to in MvC4?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menitta

Who the fuck is Linn Kurosawa

She's from the Aliens vs Predator arcade game by Capcom.

tumblr_mcd0yoYCXj1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

To those wondering if its exclusive or not - when I FIRST heard about this (about 1.5 years ago or so), while it wasn't specified as Marvel 4, I was told Sony had signed a deal with Capcom for a new Vs. game, and this was after SFV had been announced. So yeah, take with a grain of salt, but I fully expect it to be exclusive.

So YOU'RE the one to blame!

Producer

Lets talk UMvC3 port/patch notes

Morrigan meter gain during AV? Gone
Vergil Spiral Swords? Nerfed
Doom missiles gone on hit. yeah i went there
Zero buster nerfed somehow
Xfactor is always lvl 1

This thread is going X Factor Firebrand install super fast. Are there any details yet? I assume that the "no X-Men/F4" thing also implies the "2v2+assist" detail.

Oh definitely. Kamala's a fan favorite and it's clear that Marvel is gonna use more down the line. Ditto with Carol.

For marvel's roster we should probably be looking at properties they're going to be pushing a year or two down the line, rather than stuff that just launched.

Carol is guaranteed to be in- she has a moving coming.
Thanos is definitely in due to infinity war.
Vulture or maybe shocker will be in due to spider man: homecoming.
Marvel is shopping around a New Warriors series, led by Squirrel Girl- so she's probably in with maybe one of the other supporting cast.
There is a cloak and dagger series coming, so expect one or both of those to show up.
GoTG2 is coming- I would expect one or two of the original cast (probably Groot and Star Lord) along with maybe a villain (nebula?) and maybe Nova if they go that route.
Hulk isn't a huge draw for marvel so I can see him being sidelined- but Thor will definitely be in due to Ragnarok, and maybe a villain from that series (???)
Punisher has something coming, so I would put 100% odds on him appearing.
Gwenpool is a hilarious FU to Fox so will make it in on those grounds alone.

While I'm not completely believing any of this until I see it, no X-Men in an MvC game is my personal worst gaming-related fear become reality, and the thing I always feared most from the moment I heard about Marvel's X-Men ban.

X-Men vs Street Fighter was my dream game as a kid, and I've looked forward to the possibility of seeing Gambit make the jump to the modern era of fighters since SF4 was announced and my imagination went crazy thinking about the other fighting games that could come back. MvC3 and UMvC3 obviously came as a little bit of a blow in that regard, but I still had fun with them, although I never put serious time into them like I did with XvS and MvC1.

With the possibility of an MvC4 that has no X-Men at all, on the one hand, it would be a nightmare version of an MvC game for me personally, and a part of me would want to boycott it, refuse to see any more MCU movies, and the whole crazy nine yards that comes with being a pissed off fanboy.

On the other hand...

MvC4 happening at all means that the series is alive, and perhaps one day Marvel can come to their senses and realize they can benefit from including the X-Men more than they would from attempting to bury them, even without complete control over them, far more than they will by actively sabotaging them and pissing off a large portion of their fanbase.

So I'll still buy it on day one, but not without reservations, of course. Besides, there's still the Capcom side to look forward to. And maybe X-Men DLC. Things are at least starting to look better between Fox and Marvel, and if this game is really coming out next year like Polygon says, then it likely started development right around the time tensions between Fox and Marvel were at their peak.

All assuming MvC4 is even happening, of course...

OsirisBlack

Banned
Not surprised as I had heard this was a thing did we get any confirmation on exclusivity? If this is Ps4 / PC only that's going to be a swift kick in the balls to xb owners. I've checked and the people I know either don't know or aren't willing to say.

I want Zemo to be a character. He can be defeated in one hit and his attacks barely do damage, but his super attack makes the opponent lose his allies and special helpers instantly.

Seriously, though. I hope MvC4 follows some kind of roadmap where more characters are added on a regular basis for a long long time, so that eventually it has a lot of characters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In general, on the Marvel side, I'd suggest expecting something like 2/3rds major popular characters, and 1/3rd characters they want to push in the future (think people like not-yet-popular characters from upcoming films or Ms. Marvel, who they're pushing hard in the comics and other games).

Mind, this game is likely to have a ton of DLC, so I'm just talking about the launch roster.

Also just consider it from a corporate strategy perspective in general. As an example, obviously they'll want some diversity, so if your speculative list consists of 100% white guys, you're probably on the wrong track.

I imagine with enough outcry FF and D-Men characters can easily be paid DLC. Give the fans what they want while also making some extra dough on it to offset promoting Fox stuff

JeTmAn81

Lets talk UMvC3 port/patch notes

Morrigan meter gain during AV? Gone
Vergil Spiral Swords? Nerfed
Doom missiles gone on hit. yeah i went there
Zero buster nerfed somehow
Xfactor is always lvl 1

It's weird how many of these things I would've agreed with years ago but now feel hesitant about. People have adapted to counter these things. Ok, Vergil's still BS.

If Gene gets in, I hope he gets to use Yes-Man Kablaam which will result in a maximum super bar if connected.

That would be broken as fuck. This is Mahvel we talking hear, there would be some bullshit tech that would allow Gene to buy enough time to land a free one. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the development team.

Hype is through the roof for a new Marvel though.

For marvel's roster we should probably be looking at properties they're going to be pushing a year or two down the line, rather than stuff that just launched.

Marvel is shopping around a New Warriors series, led by Squirrel Girl- so she's probably in with maybe one of the other supporting cast.
There is a cloak and dagger series coming, so expect one or both of those to show up.
GoTG2 is coming- I would expect one or two of the original cast (probably Groot and Star Lord) along with maybe a villain (nebula?) and maybe Nova if they go that route.
Hulk isn't a huge draw for marvel so I can see him being sidelined- but Thor will definitely be in due to Ragnarok, and maybe a villain from that series (???)
Punisher has something coming, so I would put 100% odds on punisher coming.
Hulk is in the new Thor movie don't see him being dropped.

To those wondering if its exclusive or not - when I FIRST heard about this (about 1.5 years ago or so), while it wasn't specified as Marvel 4, I was told Sony had signed a deal with Capcom for a new Vs. game, and this was after SFV had been announced. So yeah, take with a grain of salt, but I fully expect it to be exclusive.
Like, Playstation Console Exclusive, or Only on Playstation exclusive?

She's from the Aliens vs Predator arcade game by Capcom.

tumblr_mcd0yoYCXj1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

FUUUUUUU

If she is in this, I will be overjoyed.

Therefore, she won't be in this.

And when she isn't, I'll go drink a beer and play as her at the arcade. The train level with unlimited ammo = one of the ten best levels in an arcade game ever.

Is this going to have exclusivity on PS4.
Seems likely if it's at PSX

Spiderman vs Capcom 2: 2 Many Spidermen

Mizerman

Punisher has something coming, so I would put 100% odds on punisher coming.

Yeah, Thanos is likely getting in.
We'll probably get an extra Spider-Man character this time.
As for GoTG, I'd go with Star-Lord as well.

This wouldn't make much sense since Hulk is supposed to also be in Thor Ragnarok (at least Banner is)

I'd be pretty happy with Linn Kurosawa getting in, but I'd be surprised if it happened. Like, Vanessa from P.N.03 would be more likely.

I want Zemo to be a character. He can be defeated in one hit and his attacks barely do damage, but his super attack makes the opponent lose his allies and special helpers instantly.

Seriously, though. I hope MvC4 follows some kind of roadmap where more characters are added on a regular basis for a long long time, so that eventually it has a lot of characters.

oh, shit. awesome call.

This wouldn't make much sense since Hulk is supposed to also be in Thor Ragnarok (at least Banner is)

He is, but note that you're getting a Thor movie with Hulk as a guest star- but Marvel has struggled to get anyone to care about Hulk movies. They're the lowest grossing franchise marvel has, and the fact that they don't control distribution (paramount does) makes that even less of a priority for them.

Sesha

In general, on the Marvel side, I'd suggest expecting something like 2/3rds major popular characters, and 1/3rd characters they want to push in the future (think people like not-yet-popular characters from upcoming films or Ms. Marvel, who they're pushing hard in the comics and other games).

Mind, this game is likely to have a ton of DLC, so I'm just talking about the launch roster.

Also just consider it from a corporate strategy perspective in general. Obviously they'll want some diversity, so if your speculative list consists of 100% white guys, you're probably on the wrong track.

I hope they will allow room for some obscure picks as well. There's so many good characters that Marvel aren't pushing in MCU or that don't have their own comic series.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: DEADPOOL IS NOT A MUTANT

He hangs out with X-Men sometimes and tried to join them but yeah, he's just a human who recieved his powers from Weapon X

The Fox ban includes Deadpool & F4 characters. If this game is coming out in 2017, then the contract was likely signed when this ban was in full effect.

Deadpool & Doctor Doom aren't coming.

I get what you're saying but I think you're declaring this a bit early. We haven't seen the contract on this game, we don't know how it will go yet. We do know Marvel games has recently had major changes and we know they've been talking with Fox. While that may not be an MCU deal, I think it's a bit early to assume this means that this "ban" will continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom