Polygon's 2013 Game of the Year: Gone Home

May 20, 2012
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/15/5311568/game-of-the-year-2013-gone-home

That's what makes Gone Home so powerful. It's not unusual, it's ordinary. That may sound strange, but in an industry dominated by sci-fi and fantasy tropes, violence and an obsession with heroism, it wasn't a floating city in the sky that took our breath away but rather a trip back home, and the exploration of a single house, seen through the eyes of a stranger.

Nov 20, 2013
Congratulations to the team of fullbright company. I was a little disappointed with the title in regards to what i expected (puzzles and the story was a little predictable in my opinion, but backed with incredible voice acting and writing), but I can't deny the amount of work and love poured into this title.

Feb 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
twitter.com
Gone Home was a game that I very much enjoyed, but this just seems like they're trying to make a statement based on the "progressiveness" of the game and it's willingness to tackle complex subject matter not typically seen in games.

I respect and appreciate what the game was going for, but GOTY that does not make.

Sep 25, 2012

Game is interesting, but I'm tired of the Gone Home and Brothers worship lately. I'm glad people enjoy the games, but I hope we don't start seeing more casual games and less skill-based games collecting GotY awards in the future.
A good game that requires no dexterous skills is still a good game

Mar 12, 2009
They gave TLOU a 7.5, and put it at 4 on their list? Strange.

Gone Home wasn't my favorite game of the year, and I think that games like Stanley Parable and Papers Please are better than it, but it's nice to see a mainstream website financed by Microsoft give a small game it's biggest award.

Apr 12, 2013
At least it's a game most of the editors/reviewers there are likely to have finished.
It's pretty much mediocre as an adventure title, but the genre is mostly dead mainstream wise. I doubt most people could name entries that are not from Telltale

Jan 25, 2009
Toronto
It's my opinion that for a game to be good, it should still be fun after reducing it to a collection of vertices with no sound. It would be incredibly difficult (if not impossible) for a game that requires no skill to play to fit this definition.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Apr 14, 2009
Were are all the Microsoft games? I thought GAF said they had an Xbox bias.

LOL

Not a bad choice though. At least it wasn't Kentucky Route Zero.

Oct 19, 2007
Aw snap
Is Gone Home worth playing if you already know the twist? Most of the conversation I heard around this game was about how impressed people were with how ordinary it was. No ghosts, death, etc despite the game acting like those things might happen. I must have heard "subverts your expectations" in regards to the game a hundred times. Anyway, I never bothered to pick it up because I figured once you knew what to expect it wouldn't be that interesting and I don't anticipate 90s nostalgia winning me over. But it has been getting a lot of praise during the goty cycle

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Apr 14, 2009

Game is interesting, but I'm tired of the Gone Home and Brothers worship lately. I'm glad people enjoy the games, but I hope we don't start seeing more casual games and less skill-based games collecting GotY awards in the future.
There's Brothers worship? I haven't seen it. And I sincerely hope "casual" games upend "skill-based" games, whatever that means.

Mzo

Aug 4, 2004
Chicago
Gone Home is a neat, tiny little experience that makes you say "oh!" and smile, despite the fact that it's hokey as hell.

It sure isn't the anything of the year, though. I don't want to knock it because I did like it, but come on now.