Polygon's 2013 Game of the Year: Gone Home

zakislam

May 20, 2012
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/15/5311568/game-of-the-year-2013-gone-home

That's what makes Gone Home so powerful. It's not unusual, it's ordinary. That may sound strange, but in an industry dominated by sci-fi and fantasy tropes, violence and an obsession with heroism, it wasn't a floating city in the sky that took our breath away but rather a trip back home, and the exploration of a single house, seen through the eyes of a stranger.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Aug 21, 2012
The only game that made sense for the site, really.

Edit: Not that I didn't like Gone Home, it was great.

Honorio

Nov 20, 2013
Congratulations to the team of fullbright company. I was a little disappointed with the title in regards to what i expected (puzzles and the story was a little predictable in my opinion, but backed with incredible voice acting and writing), but I can't deny the amount of work and love poured into this title.

Team Vernia

May 18, 2007
Little Rock, AR

Game is interesting, but I'm tired of the Gone Home and Brothers worship lately. I'm glad people enjoy the games, but I hope we don't start seeing more casual games and less skill-based games collecting GotY awards in the future.

BloodMoney

Banned
Nov 30, 2012
twas a good game, but game of the year?...............................................................

antitrop

Feb 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
twitter.com
Gone Home was a game that I very much enjoyed, but this just seems like they're trying to make a statement based on the "progressiveness" of the game and it's willingness to tackle complex subject matter not typically seen in games.

I respect and appreciate what the game was going for, but GOTY that does not make.

Sulik2

Apr 17, 2012
Shame they couldn't pick a game that actually had gameplay and a decent story for their GOTY.

fvng

Sep 25, 2012

Game is interesting, but I'm tired of the Gone Home and Brothers worship lately. I'm glad people enjoy the games, but I hope we don't start seeing more casual games and less skill-based games collecting GotY awards in the future.
A good game that requires no dexterous skills is still a good game

bigkrev

Mar 12, 2009
They gave TLOU a 7.5, and put it at 4 on their list? Strange.

Gone Home wasn't my favorite game of the year, and I think that games like Stanley Parable and Papers Please are better than it, but it's nice to see a mainstream website financed by Microsoft give a small game it's biggest award.

teiresias

Jun 11, 2004
You didn't expect them to give it to a more deserving game that was on a Sony platform did you? At least this one lets them keep some semblance of impartiality.

LordJim

Apr 12, 2013
At least it's a game most of the editors/reviewers there are likely to have finished.
It's pretty much mediocre as an adventure title, but the genre is mostly dead mainstream wise. I doubt most people could name entries that are not from Telltale

Andrew.

Banned
Apr 11, 2011
It's like they just want to be THAT publication that didn't choose The Last of Us as their GOTY.

Fugu

Jan 25, 2009
Toronto
It's my opinion that for a game to be good, it should still be fun after reducing it to a collection of vertices with no sound. It would be incredibly difficult (if not impossible) for a game that requires no skill to play to fit this definition.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Apr 14, 2009
Were are all the Microsoft games? I thought GAF said they had an Xbox bias.

LOL

Not a bad choice though. At least it wasn't Kentucky Route Zero.

Oct 19, 2007
Aw snap
Is Gone Home worth playing if you already know the twist? Most of the conversation I heard around this game was about how impressed people were with how ordinary it was. No ghosts, death, etc despite the game acting like those things might happen. I must have heard "subverts your expectations" in regards to the game a hundred times. Anyway, I never bothered to pick it up because I figured once you knew what to expect it wouldn't be that interesting and I don't anticipate 90s nostalgia winning me over. But it has been getting a lot of praise during the goty cycle

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Apr 14, 2009

There's Brothers worship? I haven't seen it. And I sincerely hope "casual" games upend "skill-based" games, whatever that means.

Mzo

Aug 4, 2004
Chicago
Gone Home is a neat, tiny little experience that makes you say "oh!" and smile, despite the fact that it's hokey as hell.

It sure isn't the anything of the year, though. I don't want to knock it because I did like it, but come on now.