• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon's 2013 Game of the Year: Gone Home

entremet

They gave TLOU a 7.5, and put it at 4 on their list? Strange.

Gone Home wasn't my favorite game of the year, and I think that games like Stanley Parable and Papers Please are better than it, but it's nice to see a mainstream website financed by Microsoft give a small game it's biggest award.

Not strange. That was only one reviewer. GOTY are usually juried or consensus decisions.

Van Owen

Banned
Is Gone Home worth playing if you already know the twist? Most of the conversation I heard around this game was about how impressed people were with how ordinary it was. No ghosts, death, etc despite the game acting like those things might happen. I must have heard "subverts your expectations" in regards to the game a hundred times. Anyway, I never bothered to pick it up because I figured once you knew what to expect it wouldn't be that interesting and I don't anticipate 90s nostalgia winning me over. But it has been getting a lot of praise during the goty cycle

Eh, it's pretty obvious early on that nothing supernatural is happening, at least it was for me. I played most of the game being annoyed that random doors in the house were locked or secret wall compartments weren't available until you found a piece of paper behind previously mentioned randomly locked doors.

But the game and its subject material are definitely something the writers of Polygon would jizz over, so I'm not surprised it's their GOTY.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You didn't expect them to give it to a more deserving game that was on a Sony platform did you? At least this one lets them keep some semblance of impartiality.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

I thought it was an interesting experience, but an also-ran take on the dysfunction of the American family. Didn't even crack my top 10 or 15 for last year.

LiK

It was a good experience. I didn't love it like many other reviewers tho. The VO for Sam was excellent.

Omikaru

Gone Home is a really great game. Definitely one of the GOTY contenders.

Despite Polygon saying the game is ordinary as justification for its GOTY -- and I agree with their evaluation in general -- it's pretty unorthodox in the gaming sphere, especially in these GOTY things. Good to see it winning awards.

Exactly. The game has a bold message but other then that, I felt gipped paying full price for it. :/

I don't even really think the message was bold. Maybe for a videogame, I guess, but
lesbian relationship drama
has been done to death in movies, books, TV, etc etc.

But sure, why not, Game of the Year, who the hell cares.

Nev

Banned
I find amusing how the "not a game" was/is thrown around to shit on games like Uncharted or Beyond but not for "experiences" like this 2 hours long overpriced story exploration.

I guess it's because they're deep.

You didn't expect them to give it to a more deserving game that was on a Sony platform did you? At least this one lets them keep some semblance of impartiality.

Well, if they liked Gone Home more than The Last of Us, then I'd say GH deserves it more than TLOU in their eyes.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The game has an interesting idea, but man, as a game it's not good. I almost slept. It's like Dear Esther done wrong

The form of storytelling is great, but it's an hour, has no real gameplay element other than exploring, and the main storyline is pretty manipulative as well.

EDIT: I certainly think it's worth trying, but GotY? Really? Adam Sessler picked this one too. My gut reactions says, "journalists suck at games," but maybe they like games they can finish without worrying about a deadline.

CalebW

Banned
They gave TLOU a 7.5, and put it at 4 on their list? Strange.

Gone Home wasn't my favorite game of the year, and I think that games like Stanley Parable and Papers Please are better than it, but it's nice to see a mainstream website financed by Microsoft give a small game it's biggest award.

They didn't give TLOU a 7.5. One reviewer did. The GOTY list is presumably a vote by all of them.

Tex117

Banned
Enjoyed playing the game. Picked it up for 10 bucks, which was certainly worth that.

I can't say it blew my mind out of the water or anything, but the writing, voice acting, and game atmosphere were all top notch. Especially how it plays with you knowing that things "should" happen in a way because they happen in other games that way.

I think the game, as most reviewers I think are hoping, will usher in a new era of interactive story telling.

The achivement of this game is that it is indeed ORDINARY and overall, it is interesting and told in a way that makes an ordinary story infintely more interesting than if you read it, it is interactive, a "story puzzle." The true streangh of video "games."

aly

Also, I'm really glad to see Teraway on a list. Such a charming and fun game. Interesting that 4th place was a tie though.

Good choice and good list overall, including niche, quality titles such as Kentucky Route Zero and Brothers and a couple of amazing AAA games in GTA V and TLOU.

First team I hear of Towerfall though, is it good GAF? edit: ohhh Ouya exclusive, that explains it

Also, I'm really glad to see Teraway on a list. Such a charming and fun game. Interesting that 4th place was a tie though.
I assume that's due to the fact the list might have been determined through some kind of internal voting process, otherwise it sounds pretty dumb yeah.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so "The Besties" weren't their GotY? I thought that's what that whole thing was for.

Mzo

Is Gone Home worth playing if you already know the twist? Most of the conversation I heard around this game was about how impressed people were with how ordinary it was. No ghosts, death, etc despite the game acting like those things might happen. I must have heard "subverts your expectations" in regards to the game a hundred times. Anyway, I never bothered to pick it up because I figured once you knew what to expect it wouldn't be that interesting and I don't anticipate 90s nostalgia winning me over. But it has been getting a lot of praise during the goty cycle

The answer is no. I came in expecting horror. The game knew that and used my expectations to make me slowly creep through the house in mounting fear and tension fueled along by carefully placed red herrings and my own faulty assumptions. It did it so well (in my case, at least) that it made me laugh at myself when I finally realized what was happening.

If you come in knowing the "twist," your experience would be drastically different. It would just be a boring, gated, ham-fisted story about growing up different in Anytown, USA.

The game has literally no replay value and the experience is really a one-off thing. It was good for what it was, but I strongly believe, judging by the past trend of Polygon articles, that the subject matter of a young lesbian coming into her own and finding freedom of sorts has more than a little to do with the choice.

King_Moc

Banned
It was really good, especially if you happened to like Riot Girl bands (or just alternative stuff in general), but it was never GOTY. Especially as it initially launched at £14.99. A travesty for a < 2 hour game with no replay value.

Ilúvatar

Gone Home was an interesting novelty, not GOTY material... but even Giant Bomb got swept up in the hype for it. So now I'm just confused.

Bor

Neo Member
The more i think about Gone Home the less i like it. I really don't see how this in any way deservs goty

They seriously are looking for attention, of course none of the games that everybody thought was going to be GOTY was their GOTY.

I did like Gone Home, it´s like Beyond but done right with none of the bullshit of David Cage about how a story should be interactive and all that crap.

sikkinixx

If this was done by polling their editors, a tie can happen mathematically.

Then break the tie by voting on just those two. It's cheesy. Plus it's not like "oh we couldn't figure out which to include in the number 10 spot so we put them both in!" it's the middle of the damn list.

SoyTits

Banned
They seriously are looking for attention, of course none of the games that everybody thought was going to be GOTY was their GOTY.

I did like Gone Home, it´s like Beyond but done right with none of the bullshit of David Cage about how a story should be interactive and all that crap.

So they should have followed the norm and chosen what everyone else did?

Tml Matus

Banned
The answer is no. I came in expecting horror. The game knew that and used my expectations to make me slowly creep through the house in mounting fear and tension fueled along by carefully placed red herrings and my own faulty assumptions. It did it so well (in my case, at least) that it made me laugh at myself when I finally realized what was happening.

If you come in knowing the "twist," your experience would be drastically different. It would just be a boring, gated, ham-fisted story about growing up different in Anytown, USA.

The game has literally no replay value and the experience is really a one-off thing. It was good for what it was, but I strongly believe, judging by the past trend of Polygon articles, that the subject matter of a young lesbian coming into her own and finding freedom of sorts has more than a little to do with the choice.

Definitely not a lot of replay value besides listening to some of the music you find along the way.

To me the game felt more like a long movie that you can control rather then a game; personally I appreciated that whole concept.

So they should have followed the norm and chosen what everyone else did?

They said that TLOU was an average game and yet it´s one of the best games of the year on their list.

Where´s the criteria? oh wait, yeah, maybe in February after the DLC for TLOU gets released and they update their review because reasons.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Another ghost hunting game winning game of the year. So typical.

aly

If this was done by polling their editors, a tie can happen mathematically.

I assume that's due to the fact the list might have been determined through some kind of internal voting process, otherwise it sounds pretty dumb yeah.

I could see that. Although, I still don't see how they couldn't have found a way to break a tie and move everything below it down or have an honorable mention or something. Or just no numbers or order at all I guess.

Tml Matus

Banned
It was really good, especially if you happened to like Riot Girl bands (or just alternative stuff in general), but it was never GOTY. Especially as it initially launched at £14.99. A travesty for a < 2 hour game with no replay value.

Not sure how much you guys pay for movie theaters but its not unusual to pay around $15 to see a movie in north america.

I think when it comes to games like these that rely heavily on story, $15 isn't too unreasonable. ( although, admidably i waited for a sale first :p )

SoyTits

Banned
They said that TLOU was an average game and yet it´s one of the best games of the year on their list.

Where´s the criteria? oh wait, yeah, maybe in February after the DLC for TLOU gets released and they update their review because reasons.

One reviewer gave it that score...

Ah never mind, I'm not getting involved. This thread is a lot more enjoyable to watch than participate.

Goldmund

I never got that talking about a twist. Nor were my expectations subverted. The "twist" was the first thing I learned from the first few bits of information you gather. It's still a ghost story, just not in the literal sense. For me it was that you know exactly what happened five minutes in, and then you slowly find out how we got where we are now.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
They didn't give TLOU a 7.5. One reviewer did. The GOTY list is presumably a vote by all of them.

I think some where on their website or maybe on a twitter post they say that scores are decided by a review team, one reviewer does the review but the score is something they all come up with together.

Top Bottom