• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) hires Mike Caviezel (Forza audio lead)

dalin80

Banned
*melts away* ahhhhh

God no, all the elevator jazz is one of the reasons the later GT's send me to sleep. Literally, I can't play GT6 for more then an hour without drifting off the earlier games aren't a problem. Had to resort to switching off the the BGM and firing up some mp3's.

The GTR F1 is not the same as the regular F1 or the LM, the former is the race car version, and sounds different. Personally I think both games have got the sound of the F1 wrong, and it's possible that neither had direct recordings of it. I actually have a suspicion that a few of the DLC Driveclub cars, were not actually in-house recorded, unlike most of the core game one's.

Also, I'd say you are wrong about DC's F1 sounding like the 650S. They do not sound alike. Though I do agree the F1 sounds are off, the 650S however is pretty much spot on.

Driveclub McLaren F1
Driveclub McLaren 650S
McLaren 650S real thing (very close to Driveclub's rendition)

I don't think Driveclub can't do V12 sounds either. See the V12 Vantage S as a prime example. It sounds absolutely spot on to the real thing.

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S real thing
Driveclub Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Test run

The vehicles which do sound closer to the real thing, and where presumably both teams used actual recordings, usually have Driveclub sounding more accurate.

Audi R8 V10 real thing
DriveClub vs Forza Motorsport 5 - Audi R8 V10 Plus Comparison

Switch between the real thing and both games, and only Driveclub nearly perfectly replicates it.

However, there are cases, where EVO may not have done their own recordings, where Forza 5 sounds more accurate (though still not fully accurate), for example with the Ferrari Enzo.

Ferrari Enzo real thing
DriveClub vs FH2 vs FM5 - Ferrari Enzo Sound Comparison

In response to the bolded: the F1 in the video, I'm pretty sure it isn't a GTR. It doesn't have the longer tail that the GTR has, and simply looks more like the racing version of the LM, or just an LM with decals on it. Either way, all F1s use the same V12 engine, so they all sound very similar regardless of version differences.

In response to the italics: I think this too to be honest. Most of the cars I've pointed out as reusing - or seemingly reusing - assets have all happened to be DLC cars.

Also, when I was speaking of the F1 using what sounds like the 650S/12C sounds, I didn't mean they were inaccurate in how they sound. I said that they do sound accurate, but they're used on a very different car, which itself is an inaccuracy. As for the Vantage, that does sound much better than the Ferrari, but still not as angry as it should IMO.

From your posts I assume you're mainly a fan of Driveclub, while I'm mainly a fan of Forza (but of course I can praise DC to death for what it does do right), and I'm glad we can at least agree on some of the inaccuracies in Driveclub. What most people don't seem to realise is that not necessarily every car was recorded with the roaring/screaming sound splicing in Forza's case, and it could've simply been done to enhance the ones that sound a bit more boring. I think it's most evident in the Enzo's recordings that both of us have posted. If that car was one to use the splicing, then it sounds better and more accurate because of it, and I don't think there's any problem with Turn10 doing so.

While I think Driveclub's sound inaccuracies are either more noticable or more plentiful, that doesn't mean Forza doesn't have any either. In Horizon 2 for example the 2011 BMW M5, a car with a V8 engine, sounds like a quiet inline 4 when you're driving. There are others but that's the only one I can remember at the moment. There's also a bug with the sound engine in the Horizon games where the RPM sound/pitch gets stuck briefly and can throw off gear changes. Neither are perfect but I feel personally like Forza's design is better, except for how its interior recordings are just exterior recordings with a filter on them instead of bespoke samples.

ShamePain

Banned
Why? He's not the only sound guy in the world. They probably replaced him with someone equally talented.

In fact the last Forza he worked on was Forza 3 released in 2009. Nick Wiswell has been in charge of Forza audio since 2010. So this has zero impact on forza.

HeliosT10

In fact the last Forza he worked on was Forza 3 released in 2009. Nick Wiswell has been in charge of Forza audio since 2010. So this has zero impact on forza.

Nick is our Creative Audio Director, and we have two audio leads called Chase Combs and Adam Wilson. Chase has worked on FM4 and FM5 and is our Audio Content Lead, whilst Adam has been with Turn 10 for nearly five years as Vehicle Audio Lead.

Both sound just as inaccurate in that one. Forza's clearly sounds reused from the R8/Gallardo's sound whereas the Huracan is angrier, but neither sound right.

Let me pose this comparison to you, because it's the clearest example of what I mean and it can't possibly be misinterpreted.

Forza:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izcPaRpx8lU

Driveclub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHoQTXCtyc

Real life: (As the car passes the camera the sound is very distorted, but as it gets further away after 0:36, especially with the downshift, you can hear it clearly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KmxJ6Daic

Forza's sound is spot on in this comparison to me. Whether you think it's inaccurate or not is up to you, but it sounds like the same V12 from the car, whereas Driveclub is, as I said, using the V8 sound from the McLaren 650S, which while accurate in its own regard, is completely incorrect for the F1. It sounds absolutely nothing like any footage of the F1 ever seen.

EDIT: Even NFS Rivals gets this one right. It's not as close as Forza, but it at least uses V12 samples and has the same sort of "grinding" (for lack of a better word) noise at higher RPM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6nBokvJ5s
Near the end of this comparison.

I can't rap my head around how Driveclub's Huracan doesn't sound at least closer to the real thing that Forza.

Real Huracan
https://youtu.be/FL6pJEwjGWw?t=2m46s

Driveclub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EouePZaE3WQ

Not to even mention how the exhaust pops in Forza sound like a kick boxing class taking place behind the car

Top Bottom