• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poor optimization or is the Series X/PS5 underpowered? Dying light 2 as reference

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Ok so Playing Dying light 2 on my PS5 and I have 3 choices:

Performance: 1080p/60 fps sacrificing resolution and ray tracing

Resolution: 1800p/30fps sacrificing ray tracing (not even 4k)

Quality: 1080p/30fps with ray tracing a couple other effects!

My question is why? This game is good looking but I wouldn't call it a world beater. Even on the Series X its the same with the resolution being slightly higher at 1944p.

Why can't we play a game like this at 4k/30ps with ray tracing or at least 1080p/60fps with ray tracing? As stated this game isn't a mind blower as far as graphics and curious as to why we aren't getting more performance?

Kacho

Gold Member
Your expectations are way too high for these consoles. 4K with Ray tracing at a stable framerate in an open world game is out of the question.

What is the comparative PC performance?
I’m playing with an RTX 2070, 12th gen intel CPU and 32gb of RAM and get 45-60fps at 1440p with Ray tracing and DLSS performance enabled. Without DLSS it would be a shitshow.

Last edited:
Dude, it's Techland.

64a487118-tyler-hynes-hynies.gif

Personally I think the optimization is not poor. They just chose the cheapest way. Lock the game at 1080P and you get 60fps.
Work done you get a performance mode. No need to optimize. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

My question is why? This game is good looking but I wouldn't call it a world beater. Even on the Series X its the same with the resolution being slightly higher at 1944p.

Why can't we play a game like this at 4k/30ps with ray tracing or at least 1080p/60fps with ray tracing? As stated this game isn't a mind blower as far as graphics and curious as to why we aren't getting more performance?
The rt hardware in these consoles are AMD based and AMDs solution is roughly 50% worse than nvidias even on PC. So yes is the hardware.

There is also something else going on behind the scenes where some games like guardians are able to do 4k 30 but struggle to do even 1080p 60 fps. There is likely a bottleneck in the Ram bandwith where cpu and gpu need way more than the 448 gbps in the ps5. No idea what’s going on with the xbox Series x. Could be due to their split ram architecture. PCs have dedicated vram for gpu while the cpu uses the slower ddr4 ram not in the ps5 xsx for cost reasons.

Even with first party 4k 30 fps games like ratchet, you can see that they had to downgrade the lighting, the reflections, traffic and pedestrian density to get it to work at 1440p and it can still drop to 1080p at times. It has to be a bandwidth issue.

Yeah, no offense to them but it's Techland. Developing a dense open world game for like 10 platforms isn't easy though.

If this was Rockstar or Guerilla we wouldn't be having this conversion.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Your expectations are way too high for these consoles. 4K with Ray tracing at a stable framerate in an open world game is out of the question.

I’m playing with an RTX 2070, 12th gen intel CPU and 32gb of RAM and get 45-60fps at 1440p with Ray tracing and DLSS performance enabled. Without DLSS it would be a shitshow.
I don’t disagree. My experience with the rtx 2080 mirror yours but ratchet a next Gen game and Spider-Man a last gen game run at native 4k 30 fps with rt enabled. Ratchet is actually 40 fps at native 4k. The ps5 gpu is more than capable but something is holding it back when it comes to 60 fps.

Overall though when you look at the matrix, a true next Gen game with next Gen visuals struggling to run at 1080p 30 fps, its obvious that there will be cutbacks when it comes to raytracing.

elliot5

weird game to base it off of. It's a playable experience, but not the best example of a well-optimized (re: squeezing every last ounce of power out of the systems) game. It is well optimized in the sense that it is a stable experience (from what I've seen) at the given graphics profiles.

Barakov

This is all on Techland. This dev is notorious for their non existent optimization. It seems like they didn't even use the SSDs in both systems properly. There's no reason for games using these SSDs to have the load times this games has.

I don't know if I got a better version than others but I'm a resolution snob and was pleasantly shocked at how nice this game looks in performance mode...huuuge detailed world at 60fps its glorious

RaZoR No1

We need to wait for the correct tools. For Techland :)
Probably an issue go jave the game on too many platforms + even on PC the game wants a pretty beefed up specs

GHG

Gold Member
The game doesn't seem like a great example. Even on PC, the only thing keeping performance acceptable seems to be DLSS/FSR.

Part of me thinks they added DLSS and FSR because they knew they were going to get destroyed if the game didn't have it.

Those tools should be enhancements to already optimised games, not a crutch that unoptimised games rely on.

PUNKem733

The rt hardware in these consoles are AMD based and AMDs solution is roughly 50% worse than nvidias even on PC. So yes is the hardware.

There is also something else going on behind the scenes where some games like guardians are able to do 4k 30 but struggle to do even 1080p 60 fps. There is likely a bottleneck in the Ram bandwith where cpu and gpu need way more than the 448 gbps in the ps5. No idea what’s going on with the xbox Series x. Could be due to their split ram architecture. PCs have dedicated vram for gpu while the cpu uses the slower ddr4 ram not in the ps5 xsx for cost reasons.

Even with first party 4k 30 fps games like ratchet, you can see that they had to downgrade the lighting, the reflections, traffic and pedestrian density to get it to work at 1440p and it can still drop to 1080p at times. It has to be a bandwidth issue.
Option B: It's techland. I mean 30 sec load times lol

I am very serious. With the hardware these machines are suppose to have, 4k shouldn't be an issue.
It's a combination of both. While DL2 shouldve been 1440p/60, I've played and bought enough games this gen to know that they are not able to power through certain graphical thresholds. As a result I've seem a bunch of 1440p/60 last gen games using modest settings: over and over and over again. If you want close to max settings your gonna be stuck with 30 fps. Ray tracing performance is weak. Only the most optimized games and first parties manage to push past these performance profiles and when they do it ain't by much.

SENUA and FORBIDDEN WEST exist on these two consoles. The consoles are not "underpowered" (relative to being able to handle DL2). This is all on the developer.
Yeah but don't forget, Senua will look like the demo at 30 fps and what we've seen of Horizon has also been 30 fps.

Option B: It's techland. I mean 30 sec load times lol
The first guy nailed it and you respond with a low effort single sentence. Everything he said is pretty accurate though. If you switch between the fidelity and performance modes of the best looking ps5 games you'll see how cut back they are in terms of settings.

Killer8

Ray-tracing is hard to do without DLSS or other image reconstruction techniques. You have high end PC components only able to do 30fps in Dying Light 2 if it's run with native resolution.

Hunnybun

I don’t disagree. My experience with the rtx 2080 mirror yours but ratchet a next Gen game and Spider-Man a last gen game run at native 4k 30 fps with rt enabled. Ratchet is actually 40 fps at native 4k. The ps5 gpu is more than capable but something is holding it back when it comes to 60 fps.

Overall though when you look at the matrix, a true next Gen game with next Gen visuals struggling to run at 1080p 30 fps, its obvious that there will be cutbacks when it comes to raytracing.

So far Metro Exodus is the only game that makes me think RT might even be remotely worth the cost on the consoles.

Otherwise it just seems to ruin performance for a visual upgrade most casual observers wouldn't even notice. Sometimes the implementation (low res, very simplified geometry etc) even looks positively ugly.

Top Bottom