• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

It's a long ways off (Q2 of next year), but I'm getting a commission going for 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Ise Ananphada.

You might not be familiar with her work just yet, but she's incredibly talented, and is taking on a lot of projects.

Here's the first 2 completed projects I'm in on:

BjAfhsl.jpg
UNb26Hp.jpg

prZ0b9W.jpg
Xu1qFZl.jpg

Wpyad8R.jpg
drsjIQr.jpg

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Limiting Factor

Neo Member
How do you guys feel about framing without mats? I wanna frame my Ansin GitS variant into a silver metal frame and I think it would look really good without a mat. Basically I want this exact thing.

I remember reading somewhere on EB to use a spacer, even in some cases where the print is matted, to prevent the print from sticking to the glass but I can't recall the exact conversation.

A quick search on the Frame Destination blog came up with a post about moisture damage:

http://blog.framedestination.com/picture-frames/what-does-the-most-damage-to-framed-pictures/

Moisture

When exposed to moisture, framed photographs can succumb to blocking. Blocking occurs when the surface of the photo becomes adhesive-like and sticks to the glass frame; the photo is often destroyed if it is attempted to remove it. Moisture will also cause warping, mold growth on the surface of the piece (which poses a health hazard), and color bleeding on digital photographs.

How to Prevent It: Display your framed piece in a climate controlled area—low humidity and air conditioned is best. It is also advisable to use picture frame spacers to ensure the artwork does not touch the surface of the glazing.

Luderico

How do you guys feel about framing without mats? I wanna frame my Ansin GitS variant into a silver metal frame and I think it would look really good without a mat. Basically I want this exact thing.

Hi Fornaximus,

i'm more of an mat guy myself. It gives the art depth and flatters it, when done right. I couldn't live without them anymore.
I put together a preview of your print with mats. But then again it's something else when you have the real thing before you and not just a jpeg.

wG7LlEu.jpg

Axiom

It's a long ways off (Q2 of next year), but I'm getting a commission going for 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Ise Ananphada.

You might not be familiar with her work just yet, but she's incredibly talented, and is taking on a lot of projects.

Amelie is my favourite film of all time, and those prints are amazing. Jealous!

holy crap that looks good, I sent you a PM!

Risible

Mats are very important to prevent the artwork from sticking to the glass. I would never put an expensive print in an unmatted frame. That being said, if it's a cheapie who cares, better to get it on the wall.

It's not cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 and go to American Frames and get a DYI kit than ruin a Stout. Plus, they're reusable in the sense that you can just pop one poster out and pop a different one in when you want a change of scenery.

edit: just noticed you're talking about the Ansin GITS foil. HELLLLLL no. I wouldn't take the chance personally on a $350+ poster.

edit edit :) I should mention that I've had posters stick to the glass, which is why I'm saying this. Before I got into fancy-posters, back when I was in my teens/early twenties, I used to collect movie one-sheets and throw them into cheap frames. Had a few ruined by adhesion to the glass/plexi.

see5harp

I love Amelie but I wish the poster wasn't so busy. Artist is obviously crazy talented though and her love of the actual material is obvious from all of those pieces. I really love The Fall as well but really wish Tarsem hadn't straight up taken multiple scenes from Baraka.

Risible

I love Amelie but I wish the poster wasn't so busy. Artist is obviously crazy talented though and her love of the actual material is obvious from all of those pieces. I really love The Fall as well but really wish Tarsem hadn't straight up taken multiple scenes from Baraka.

I think the style of the poster is its strength. My main gripe is the faces - movie poster have to nail the faces, and hers are only so-so. Still beautiful though.

see5harp

I think the style of the poster is its strength. My main gripe is the faces - movie poster have to nail the faces, and hers are only so-so. Still beautiful though.

Beautiful for sure, just not to my tastes. I do like some Stout stuff but some of those super busy prints that summarize a ton of different characters or scenes remind me of something you'd hang in the bathroom to look at while you shit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Beautiful for sure, just not to my tastes. I do like some Stout stuff but some of those super busy prints that summarize a ton of different characters or scenes remind me of something you'd hang in the bathroom to look at while you shit.

I have a friend who says pretty much the same thing, especially about Stouts, but whenever I've picked his brain about it, it just seemed like he never really took the time to look at the distinct "layers" of shit going on in these prints, or he just doesn't know/care for the subject matter.

Like for most movie-related Stouts, there are very obvious defining moments/elements/symbols that are layered and woven into the piece in really impressive ways, and these form a cohesive overall image. Also, as with so many prints, seeing them in person lets you understand the art so much more.

IronRinn

Being sold through Antler Gallery:

On Tuesday, August 25th, at 11am we will be releasing Limited Edition prints of
A Whole New World by Josh Keyes and The Visit by Brin Levinson via our website.
We will send an email closer to the release date with more detailed information about the sales process and example images of each print.
A percentage of proceeds from all prints sold will be donated to the following causes:Josh Keyes: Big Cats Initiative & Brin Levinson: PangeaSeed

A Whole New World
Artist: Josh Keyes
Signed and numbered edition of 200
Archival Giclee on Optica One 100% cotton paper (300 gm weight)
Paper size: 18” x 34” - Image Size: 15.5" x 30.5"
Manufacturer: PixelPoint Artistry
Publisher: Antler Gallery
Price $275.00

Too rich for my blood.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, what if we pool our money together and then all have joint custody of the print?

see5harp

I have a friend who says pretty much the same thing, especially about Stouts, but whenever I've picked his brain about it, it just seemed like he never really took the time to look at the distinct "layers" of shit going on in these prints, or he just doesn't know/care for the subject matter.

Like for most movie-related Stouts, there are very obvious defining moments/elements/symbols that are layered and woven into the piece in really impressive ways, and these form a cohesive overall image. Also, as with so many prints, seeing them in person lets you understand the art so much more.

I definitely like them as representations of the film as a whole. I just tend to gravitate to more minimal and simple designs. That's all I was trying to say. The "hang in bathroom to look at while I shit" comment was unnecessarily troll like, I admit. The one thing I do like about Tyler Stouts prints is that if the composition is busy or complex, he's also conservative with the coloring.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Tomorrow, Friday August 14th at 12 pm ET on Bottleneck: "Star Wars" prints by Marko Manev:

13" x 19" giclee prints. Numbered edition of 125. $35 each or $125 for a matching numbered set.

13" x 19" giclee prints. Numbered variant edition of 50. $35 each or $125 for a matching numbered set.

Larger images of individual prints here. Bottleneck only has a portion of the run for sale.

These are pretty awesome. Too bad they are already sold out.

Mats are very important to prevent the artwork from sticking to the glass. I would never put an expensive print in an unmatted frame. That being said, if it's a cheapie who cares, better to get it on the wall.

It's not cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 and go to American Frames and get a DYI kit than ruin a Stout. Plus, they're reusable in the sense that you can just pop one poster out and pop a different one in when you want a change of scenery.

edit: just noticed you're talking about the Ansin GITS foil. HELLLLLL no. I wouldn't take the chance personally on a $350+ poster.

edit edit :) I should mention that I've had posters stick to the glass, which is why I'm saying this. Before I got into fancy-posters, back when I was in my teens/early twenties, I used to collect movie one-sheets and throw them into cheap frames. Had a few ruined by adhesion to the glass/plexi.

The price of this particular print is why it's not in a matless frame right now. Paid $400 for my Ansin GiTS variant. Just think it would look sooooo good matless in a metal frame. Oh well. Guess I should try to figure out a good mat color/style for it. I definitely want to go with the silver metal frame, as opposed to the black wood I use with all my other prints.

Risible

The price of this particular print is why it's not in a matless frame right now. Paid $400 for my Ansin GiTS variant. Just think it would look sooooo good matless in a metal frame. Oh well. Guess I should try to figure out a good mat color/style for it. I definitely want to go with the silver metal frame, as opposed to the black wood I use with all my other prints.

You can go matless, but you need spacers then. I've never done it. There's tons of framing advice on expressobeans.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=2ed41219c77a466050aea44b0e8d02c1

suplex

I've framed up plenty of prints with no mat using spacers in a cheap frame. It's not glamorous or anything, but it's a cheap any easy way to get more prints on the wall, and it still looks good.

I've never done it with a $400 print though.

Also, I shall be trying for that Keyes. Hopefully it's not a tough drop.

Filthy Slug

The best gigposters are always for jambands or, like, Dave Matthews/Black Keys and shit like that.

It sucks, but most likely your favorite band doesn't care much about the art they sell at shows.

see5harp

The best gigposters are always for jambands or, like, Dave Matthews/Black Keys and shit like that.

It sucks, but most likely your favorite band doesn't care much about the art they sell at shows.

I've seen awesome stuff at festivals for all sorts of bands when they have poster sales. It's just I never want a poster for a show I didn't go to. Plus if I'm at a huge festival, it's sorta a pain in the ass to carry around a print so you gotta buy it at the very end of the night.

Filthy Slug

I think I'm going to frame up the insert with the Moss artwork on it, is that weird?

Nah--I think everything about the art works so much better for the vinyl than it did for the actual print.

Browny

Banned
Can't see myself going for a foil on this one... doesn't seem to work as well as the Iron Man one.

Might be tempted by a regular though... but if I get that, then I have to buy the others later, don't I?

Crap.

Top Bottom