• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop punk/Punk Gaf What are you listening to?

appaws

Banned
Lately I have been listening to The Dummy Room podcast and learning about a lot of new bands. You should check it out.

Two bands I first heard on that podcast are Horror Section and The Jetty Boys and they are pretty awesome.

My playlist lately has been dominated by The Riverdales album "Tarantula." It's so good I listen to it pretty much every day. I've also been listening to tons of Lillingtons and Teenage Bottlerocket.

Manus

Besides all the stuff I listen to back in high school I love these guys.

Like a modern version of old school Paramore.

Last edited:

Pejo

Subbed to this thread. I haven't found much new music since the 2000s that I really like, hopefully this thread can provide some stuff.

In order to contribute something, here's an old, now-dead band that was underrated in the day - Inspection 12:

Here's a list of pop punk bands that used to be good:

The Story So Far (I never finished their latest record, it is that bad)
Paramore (disgusting. Someone mentioned Yours Truly who is taking up that oldschool Paramore torch, at least)
State Champs (expect punk to disappear from their sound entirely, as it did for part of Living Proof)
Yellowcard (RIP)
Man Overboard (RIP...?)

I really got into metal at the right time. So many of my other favorite bands shot themselves in the foot or broke up:

Now, Now
Citizen
Basement
Title Fight
Crystal Castles
Twenty One Pilots
School of Seven Bells
The Lonely Forest
Flyleaf

Kagey K

Banned
If you were ever into Rancid, then The Interrupters are going to bring back some of that nostalgia while still being new. She sings like Tim and he produces their albums.

They are also opening the NA leg of the Hella Mega tour.

The one that reminds me most of Rancid

and a Billie Eilish cover.

Last edited:

Pejo

As this thread has been going on throughout the day, it's still true that nobody can agree on sub-genres of both punk and metal and where to draw the line.

There's still some awesome stuff here that I've never heard.

appaws

Banned
Nice... but are Blink182 clones?
blink didnt invent pop punk. if theyre blink clones then blink is a screeching weasel clone.

well I guess it makes sense that Normie kids saw Blink as some big new thing. I really don’t want to sound like a dick. If you grow up in like Louisiana somewhere with no local DIY scene, it’s awesome that the mainstream ever gave you a chance to find some cool bands, at least for a while before they moved on to some other hot genre.

I admit I was just really lucky to grow up in Chicago and see so many great bands like Screeching Weasel, Naked Raygun, Bollweevils, etc.

But yeah, when I look and listen to this thread, this stuff seems so packaged and fashionable.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I admit I was just really lucky to grow up in Chicago and see so many great bands like Screeching Weasel, Naked Raygun, Bollweevils, etc.
Chicago seemed to have a ton of shit. I found a lot of obscure pop punk bands on this page a while back. Like lots of super rare shit most people haven't heard of.

appaws

Banned
Chicago seemed to have a ton of shit. I found a lot of obscure pop punk bands on this page a while back. Like lots of super rare shit most people haven't heard of.

Holy Shit dude, that is like a walk down memory lane for me. I'm gonna have to use that to reassemble a collection of that stuff.

My best friend was the bassist for Friction. I remember when they were forming the band, he asked me if I would be interested in being the lead singer. I was like "Dude, what makes you think I can sing?" He said, "I have no idea, but I know you have a van." Punk Rock.

Sleepy Bear went to my high school. I remember them playing at my school's Battle of the Bands, everybody hated them but around 15 of us. Some rapper kid won it.

Sorry I'm turning this thread into my own old guy "I was there" ramblings.

As for what a lot of you in this thread might like from that page, I would say Apocalypse Hoboken and The Fighters. Landos 45 too, even though there is just a 4 song 7-inch on there. Landos was a short lived project by the lead singer of the Bollweevils. Kinda interesting, that black guy with the big dreads singing is a physician now.

Jooxed

Gold Member

Damn this was awesome Brap

Jooxed

Gold Member
Some 2007 Pop Punk...All time Low before they started asking for teenagers bras at concerts

Mest... man i have fond memories of this band.. they have tried a couple revivals throughout the years but have not captured the same sound

Manus

Some 2007 Pop Punk...All time Low before they started asking for teenagers bras at concerts

Mest... man i have fond memories of this band.. they have tried a couple revivals throughout the years but have not captured the same sound

Love me some All Time Low. Throw in some of this

And you have my high school all wrapped up.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Love me some All Time Low. Throw in some of this

And you have my high school all wrapped up.

I still listen to whatever Mayday Parade puts out they are one of the few bands for me that has retained quality over the years. Man this brings me back

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

About the only punk band I still listen to regular.
It's a bit crossover with metal so has that pop to it.

Dungeons &

Last edited:

Manus

I still listen to whatever Mayday Parade puts out they are one of the few bands for me that has retained quality over the years. Man this brings me back

I still listen to them all the time. Same goes for Senses Fail, Saosin, Four Year Strong. I could keep going. A lot of that music just doesn't really exist anymore.

brap

Banned
Sorry I'm turning this thread into my own old guy "I was there" ramblings.
Lmao you can keep going if you want.

I miss Mest tbh.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Lmao you can keep going if you want.

I miss Mest tbh.

Haha they were so good, I had to search ebay for this shit. I used to wear their old logo shirt all the time in high school when I had blue hair and thought i was edgy.

DJfdfKz.jpg

They actually just reformed with all of the original members or the ones that aren't in jail. and put out a new single... but it does not sound like old Mest so be warned

*Edit I stand corrected...they are all out of jail...it is 100% the original lineup

Last edited:

Dark Star

not punk, but i think fans of early 2000's pop punk would like this progressive rock stuff

straight up punk rock, classic vibes

Last edited:
I haven't listened to anything new in a while sadly.

Almost all of the Zebrahead albums have been good though, check them out if you can.

Top Bottom