• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopCap dodges whether PvZ: Garden Warfare is 1080p on Xbox One (update: it's 900p)

Do some people have images turned off? The sheer astonishment in some posts make it seem like they are imaging a game like the original 2D tower defense Plants Vs Zombies.

Sure it's not a visual power-house, but it's running on the very modern Frostbyte 3 engine. I too would be disappointed by the sub-native resolution, but the fact that they're prioritizing 60fps for a responsive action/shooter game is refreshing at least.

I think the astonishment comes from a brand new, next gen console not being able to push 1080p/60fps on a relatively average looking game.

900p in 2014 is "not bad"? I guess it's all relative... :/

As someone who only gets 30 fps in Dead Space on these settings on the only gaming machine available not an Xbox One:

75h41.jpg

It sure is pretty relative.

Bgamer90

Banned
But Sony will be improving their development as well. There is a fundamental problem of less power on MS side. Math is always going to win out and the math is not really in favor of the X1.

True. Both systems should still impress though as these years go by.

Same was true for previous gens when there was a difference in power between the consoles but yet both consoles continued on improving and having good looking games.

True. Both systems should still impress though as these years go by.

Same was true for previous gens when there was a difference in power between the consoles but yet both consoles continued on improving and having good looking games.

Last generation was VERY different in terms of power and the gap between the two consoles. Not to mention the complicated nature of the cell processor.

I don't think this gen will be like that.

Mr Moose

Yes... I'm pretty sure they would all run in at least 900p if they were 30 FPS (and that BF4 would be 1080p on the PS4).

EA gonna EA, they rushed the shit out of that game so we'll never know what could've been.

I think MS will try and make sure that the game is at least 900p. It was stated that the kinect GPU reserve played a role and if things are suppose to change with that by this Fall then we may not see a repeat of it.

I don't know though... just speculation. Would love to see what's going on behind the scenes right now though.

I think they're likely to use their 8% boost to free up some fps and not resolution.
8% 720 is 777(?) (I am useless at Math so...) and that wouldn't scale well. (Probably totally wrong with this so someone correct me lol).

PvZ is exclusive, right? I'll never understand why an exclusive game wouldn't run at 1080p. 900p makes sense if you're trying to match the visuals of a multiplat game on PS4, but you don't have to worry about people comparing screenshots here.

Culex

Banned
900p should be perfectly fine for the Xbox One, if that's as low as all the games were compared to the PS4. Sadly, this is not the case.

Bgamer90

Banned
EA gonna EA, they rushed the shit out of that game so we'll never know what could've been.

Did they rush PvZ?

Last generation was VERY different in terms of power and the gap between the two consoles. Not to mention the complicated nature of the cell processor.

I don't think this gen will be like that.

PS2 vs. Original Xbox was a bigger power gap. God of War (1) was a great example of what I said in my previous post.

Here is a quote from a developer that has worked on a major xbox one game.

I don't get this obsession with MS fanboys wanting the more powerful machine.

Its not happening. Who cares. There are xbox fans who think esram is this mystical thing when all it is is cumbersome, bottlenecking memory.

But its in there so it HAS to be special

When I hear people say devs need to just utilize esram better, its like saying they need to learn how to do the most basic thing again

Esram isn't rocket science, it isn't even complex. Its just a pain in the ass. That's it

Same guy who told me that parties were a mess before the launch, fwiw.

Biker19

Banned
I don't think 900P will bother most people who play the game on XB1. I play BF4 on PC and PS4, and I can definitely notice the 900P-Ness of the PS4 version. How it looks blurrier than a true 1080P signal. However I'll readily admit since I grew up a PC gamer I'm a bit more hardcore about noticing these resolution differences. Also, the art style of Garden Warfare lends itself better to resolution scaling.

To be honest, Battlefield 4 was a very demanding game.

Bgamer90

Banned
Here is a quote from a developer that has worked on a major xbox one game.

Same guy who told me that parties were a mess before the launch, fwiw.

"MS fanboys" want the most powerful machine (at least for multiplats) because it's what they are used to having.

I personally just care about the games/features a console has as long as it's greatly more powerful than what I had during the previous gen. Hence why I've switched brands these past almost 20 years or so for my primary gaming console.

Mahonay

Banned
Battlefield 4 on the PS4 looked great to me.

As do most 900p games so far since I played 720p/sub-HD games last gen and am not a PC gamer.
I play a shit ton of Battlefield 4 for the PS4, and 900p is definitely more than serviceable. But compared to other games I own (NBA 2K14, Killzone Shadowfall, Warframe), it really lacks that sharpness that makes everything a lot easier to look at. If DICE were able to get BF4 up to 1080p, it would directly improve gameplay for me personally, as I'd be able to pick enemies out from the map environment a hell of a lot easier. Those maps are big, and incredibly busy. It would be helpful no doubt.

Did they rush PvZ?

PS2 vs. Original Xbox was a bigger power gap. God of War (1) was a great example of what I said in my previous post.

And the Xbox released about 1.5 years later.

When it comes to multi plats. PS4 is always going to have a substantial advantage.

Not arguing that the X1 won't have great exclusives. I think they will. But it's going to be behind and "giving it time" isn't going to change that very much.

Bgamer90

Banned
Doubt it, its PvZ... :p

But expect micro-transactions :| even if they say otherwise.

Agree. EA + the game series is popular on mobile. Think it's inevitable.

I play a shit ton of Battlefield 4 for the PS4, and 900p is definitely more than serviceable. But compared to other games I own (NBA 2K14, Killzone Shadowfall, Warframe), it really lacks that sharpness that makes everything a lot easier to look at. If DICE were able to get BF4 up to 1080p, it would directly improve gameplay for me personally, as I'd be able to pick enemies out from the map environment a hell of a lot easier. Those maps are big, and incredibly busy. It would be helpful no doubt.

Understandable. I can tell the difference between AC4 and other games that I have that are 1080p... Softer as you said. I don't mind it though. Still looks good to me (well, at least now that the sharpening filter is gone).

And the Xbox released about 1.5 years later.

When it comes to multi plats. PS4 is always going to have a substantial advantage.

Not arguing that the X1 won't have great exclusives. I think they will. But it's going to be behind and "giving it time" isn't going to change that very much.

Yes, what I'm saying though is that both consoles will more than likely impress. PS2 was still putting out pretty impressive looking games during the same year the Xbox 360 released (God of War as I said before, Gran Turismo 4, Tekken 5, Okami, etc.). The first three months of a gen never have the best looking games. The power gap will definitely always be there but it doesn't mean the weaker console won't have impressive looking games -- especially if we are talking about games that don't go for a realistic visual style.

jediyoshi

I think the astonishment comes from a brand new, next gen console not being able to push 1080p/60fps on a relatively average looking game.

Come again?

I don't understand how it's possible that they had to compromise with the resolution in a fucking plants vs zombies game. I just can't accept that it's because of the hardware.

Yeah, you know it's bad when even Plants vs Zombies can't make it to 1080p. I mean, this isn't Ryse or Forza. It's plants versus zombies for fucks sake....

How does a PvZ game run at sub 1080p? I mean I get the other games but this?

Ya gotta be shittin me, PvZ of all things?

Yes, what I'm saying though is that both consoles will more than likely impress. PS2 was still putting out pretty impressive looking games during the same year the Xbox 360 released (God of War as I said before, Gran Turismo 4, Tekken 5, Okami, etc.). The first three months of a gen never have the best looking games. The power gap will definitely always be there but it doesn't mean the weaker console won't have impressive looking games -- especially if we are talking about games that don't go for a realistic visual style.

Totally agree with you there. And I really hope that the X1 pulls out of this rut of sub-1080p resolutions though. I really like native resolutions on my TV.

Come again?

Your quotes support exactly what I was saying ... unless I misunderstand you?

Rizzi

Ryse was 900p right? That game looked great. I'd settle for 900p if developers can't hit 1080p. Obviously I want 1080p. But it's better than 720p.

Bsigg12

Most people in the thread think that it's a plants vs zombies game in the traditional, 2D tower defense format and don't think it actually has any intensive graphics when it's actually a 3D third person shooter.

jediyoshi

You were correcting someone's point as to there being people under the impression this was a typical PvZ game. The posts I'm quoting are directly under that assumption.

TheCloser

Banned
Most people in the thread think that it's a plants vs zombies game in the traditional, 2D tower defense format and don't think it actually has any intensive graphics when it's actually a 3D third person shooter.

That looks less complex than an xbox 360 game at 900p.....

You were correcting someone's point as to there being people under the impression this was a typical PvZ game. The posts I'm quoting are directly under that assumption.

Ah, I guess I felt that those quotes were debatable. I read it as "it's just an XBLA type 3d shooter, not the next AAA nextgen title." No one in the quotes explicitly says they think it's a 2d PVZ game.

But I could have easily read it wrong!

jedimike

My astonishment is that people would even care... Without counting pixels I was able to watch the trailer and draw the following conclusion:

Game looks fun as hell

Loudninja

My astonishment is that people would even care... Without counting pixels I was able to watch the trailer and draw the following conclusion:

Game looks fun as hell
Thats good and all but that is not what this topic about honestly.

I enjoyed many games that are not 1080p but we are on new hardware now.and this will continue to get discuss.

Game looks fun as hell

You can think a game is fun and still wish it looked better. I do that all the time. It's not one or the other.

TyrantII

Battlefield 4 on the PS4 looked great to me.

As do most 900p games so far since I played 720p/sub-HD games last gen and am not a PC gamer.

900P is nice, but I'd take 1080P over it any day as a really good improvement. Extra spatial sampling and the fact that my 70" is 1:1 mapping at 1080P means it's really good in open and semi-open worlds with long draw distances. In BF if can be the difference between seeing someone and getting a kill, vs them being able to flank and sneak up on you.

Here's a quick and dirty, that isn't the best comparison, but helps (need to be viewed on a 1080P or higher monitor)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/63791

You can especially notice the detail/aliasing in the wires and the scaffolding at a distance / horizon. Unfortunately Eurogamer didn't have and head to head shots of MP, where thick vegetation, tree lines, and cover at medium or long distances would really show off the differences in detail resolved.

Happy to hear it's 60fps, a lot of games so far have been 60 and I am enjoying it while the fad lasts.

PvZ is exclusive, right? I'll never understand why an exclusive game wouldn't run at 1080p. 900p makes sense if you're trying to match the visuals of a multiplat game on PS4, but you don't have to worry about people comparing screenshots here.

i'm going to say blame it on the 360 version, as the xbox one version could just be built from that and having troubles at 1080p or something stupid.

chadskin

Woop, that's unexpected. PvZ GW isn't exactly a looker; hopefully the PS4 version will have the native 1080p res as the gameplay looks crazy fun.

Hubble

God damn, is the hardware or tools that bad that not any third party game can hit 1080p? It's not like this game is graphically demanding

Zeth

It just rubs me the wrong way when people who are likely clueless about game development make snap judgments about whether a game is "complex" or "impressive" enough to warrant reduced resolution. Not that I'm an expert either, but I think it's more nuanced than that. Also the very fact that it's PvZ kind of messes with people's perspective maybe. Hope the game turns out good anyway, will probably play on PC.

TheCloser

Banned
What are more complex looking games on 360 that runs at a similar resolution?

Its the xbox one all in one entertainment system. A next generation system built to offer the latest innovation in graphics. It is 10x more powerful than the 360 and with the cloud, its 40x more powerful yet it is running a 360 game at 900p. Do you not find this shocking and or slightly embarrassing? The fact that you're comparing it to a 360 is sad.

Btw these games look better than PvZ:

Far Cry 3(X360)
Rage(X360)
Halo 4(X360)

These games might not run at a higher resolution but they do look a lot better than what ive seen from PvZ. If you were to bump up the resolution, they would look a lot better.

Top Bottom