• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPE FRANCIS WARNS LARGE HADRON COLLIDER COULD ‘OPEN GATES OF HELL’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weilthain

Banned
I don’t trust the pope. Seems legit evil. The last pope was the most evil looking thing I’ve ever seen.

He is just trying to spook people. Like he knows what he is talking talking about, or that the hadron collider is actually doing anything real.

Double mind games!

GamingKaiju

Did Nostradamus ever predict we would build a large machine that could smash particles together and open the gates of hell?

Turn it on I say let's see those black holes.

V4skunk

Banned
People try to joke it off, but it is fact that part of the research they are doing has shit to do with the different dimensions, string theory and lots of other crazy shit you couldn't believe.
All i'm going to say is that Lord Shiva is the mascot of the place. Research who Shiva is.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I open the gates of hell every night.

It's called Ranked Matchmaking in Overwatch.
tenor.gif

llien

in a bid to detect – or even create – miniature black holes
What the fuck is wrong with people, Jesus Christ.
Conditions like in LHC are ALREADY PRESENT in our athmosphere (somewhere high above).
"Smashing atoms" like that ALREADY HAPPENS (for billions of years).
Last, but not least, which cretin suggested physicists would tinker with idea of creating "miniature black holes"?
While I quite enjoyed destroying black hole by exploding it somewhere on high orbit in XCOM, that's not how black holes work, you cannot "undo" them, nobody would risk that.

V4skunk

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with people, Jesus Christ.
Conditions like in LHC are ALREADY PRESENT in our athmosphere (somewhere high above).
"Smashing atoms" like that ALREADY HAPPENS (for billions of years).
Last, but not least, which cretin suggested physicists would tinker with idea of creating "miniature black holes"?
While I quite enjoyed destroying black hole by exploding it somewhere on high orbit in XCOM, that's not how black holes work, you cannot "undo" them, nobody would risk that.
I'm sure that the LHC is firing particles at over half the speed of light into each other. A light speed collision. This impact is not normal at all.

llien

I'm sure that the LHC is firing particles at over half the speed of light into each other. A light speed collision.
I know it's counter intuitive, but that's not how adding speed works.
In your example, relative speed of those particles would be 0.8c.
And, if you are curious, if particle speeds were 0.8c, their relative speed would be 0.97c

Anyhow, such collisions routinely happen in space..

Tesseract

Banned
i fell for it, usually check sources but this one got me

i have no respect for the catholic church tho, among the biggest loser institution on the planet

I noticed you posted three times in frustration, not replying to anyone. We can take this to pms if you want to talk.

i'm good, thanks

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Feels good to know im not the only one suffering with eyes problems, selfish but feels good.

I wouldn't call it an "eye problem" as much as the obvious result of choosing black header text over a black background (don't get fancy with colours people, a large percentage of the board does not use the colour scheme you have selected. Use defaults.)

Airbus Jr Airbus Jr please update the OP?

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it an "eye problem" as much as the obvious result of choosing black header text over a black background (don't get fancy with colours people, a large percentage of the board does not use the colour scheme you have selected. Use defaults.)

Airbus Jr Airbus Jr please update the OP?
was referring at the theme not text :messenger_grinning_smiling: .

Airola

Well according to the Church all the smart and interesting people are in hell anyways.
I'd rather go there than spend the rest of eternity with some pious boring fools in heaven.

So go to hell... if you want good discussion.

What makes you think you can have a discussion with anyone there, though?
Sure, maybe there could be all the people you find the most interesting and maybe you would have an insanely strong desire to have a discussion with them, but the plot twist would be that neither you or them could have those discussions with anyone.

Maybe after the first half (lol) of eternity you would be begging to have a talk with the most boring nedflanderses there can be (but obviously no-one would hear you begging either because of the aforementioned ironic twilightzonish plot twist).

V4skunk

Banned
I know it's counter intuitive, but that's not how adding speed works.
In your example, relative speed of those particles would be 0.8c.
And, if you are curious, if particle speeds were 0.8c, their relative speed would be 0.97c

Anyhow, such collisions routinely happen in space..
Nothing in space like an asteroid or space dust moves close to even a fraction of the speed of light, let alone two particles being accelerated to over half the speed of light and being smashed into each other. This does not happen regularly in space at all. Also two cars travelling at 30mph in a head collision is called a 60mph impact which is why i said two objects impacting at over half the speed of light, is a light speed impact. Again just not normal in space at all.

llien

Nothing in space like an asteroid or space dust moves close to even a fraction of the speed of light
Nothing of size of a space dust is moving in LHC either.
They accelerate particles like proton.

let alone two particles being accelerated to over half the speed of light and being smashed into each other.

Also two cars travelling at 30mph in a head collision is called a 60mph impact which is why i said two objects impacting at over half the speed of light, is a light speed impact.
So, if I have two objects moving at 0.8 speed of light collide head on, what speed is "impact"?

greyshark

Nothing in space like an asteroid or space dust moves close to even a fraction of the speed of light, let alone two particles being accelerated to over half the speed of light and being smashed into each other. This does not happen regularly in space at all. Also two cars travelling at 30mph in a head collision is called a 60mph impact which is why i said two objects impacting at over half the speed of light, is a light speed impact. Again just not normal in space at all.

What are you basing your statements on? As llien llien just posted, cosmic rays are a very common occurrence in space - atomic particles (presumably from flung from stars many light years away) bombard the Earth's atmosphere all the time, and they are measured to be traveling at very close to the speed of light (like 99.9999%). Do you doubt the observations shown in the linked Wikipedia article?

Nymphae

Banned
Isn't this the plot of Howard the Duck?

Not exactly, I just watched that the other day actually. Scientists invented some "laser spectroscope" they were testing, and it was pointed at Howard's planet. Something goes wrong and it pulls him to earth. They want to send him back via a reversal of the process, but that goes wrong again and the Dark Overlord is pulled down from a section of the galaxy that he and other Dark Overlords were imprisoned. Dark Overlord wants to use it again to pull more of his buddies down, but the heroes prevent this.

Honestly I think it's pretty watchable. After watching and reading about it I discovered it is very high up on lists of Worst Movies of all time, but I don't see it. Yeah it's not high art, but the special effects are great I think and the duck suits look good (they were criticized for not being very expressive I guess, but I think Howard shows a decent range of expressions, given the time and technology) To me it was more visually interesting than CGI is, I'm just so tired of everything being computer generated and practical effects are just very refreshing.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Not exactly, I just watched that the other day actually. Scientists invented some "laser spectroscope" they were testing, and it was pointed at Howard's planet. Something goes wrong and it pulls him to earth. They want to send him back via a reversal of the process, but that goes wrong again and the Dark Overlord is pulled down from a section of the galaxy that he and other Dark Overlords were imprisoned. Dark Overlord wants to use it again to pull more of his buddies down, but the heroes prevent this.

Honestly I think it's pretty watchable. After watching and reading about it I discovered it is very high up on lists of Worst Movies of all time, but I don't see it. Yeah it's not high art, but the special effects are great I think and the duck suits look good (they were criticized for not being very expressive I guess, but I think Howard shows a decent range of expressions, given the time and technology) To me it was more visually interesting than CGI is, I'm just so tired of everything being computer generated and practical effects are just very refreshing.

Kinda similar. Big laser pulls beings from other "planets" or "dimensions" since Howards world is basically earth but with ducks and duck puns (and duck BOOBS). Laser spectroscope = Hadron collider, gates of hell=dark overlord prison. HTD was not a family movie trying to capitalize on comics and star wars, it was a cautionary tale about our future. Lucas was trying to warn us all!

I remember seeing the movie as a kid a lot of times. Never knew it was so hated until the last couple of years. Howard is actually a pretty amazing special effect, but the rest of the movie is pretty lame. It basically meanders along following Howard trying to make it in our world and start a Romance and mangement carrer of an all girl group. It only gets good at the end once they intorduce the dark overlords. Its just a strange property to make a movie out of. I don't see what the appeal was to kids or adults, and this was before comic book movies and the MCU.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda similar. Big laser pulls beings from other "planets" or "dimensions" since Howards world is basically earth but with ducks and duck puns (and duck BOOBS). Laser spectroscope = Hadron collider, gates of hell=dark overlord prison. HTD was not a family movie trying to capitalize on comics and star wars, it was a cautionary tale about our future. Lucas was trying to warn us all!

I remember seeing the movie as a kid a lot of times. Never knew it was so hated until the last couple of years. Howard is actually a pretty amazing special effect, but the rest of the movie is pretty lame. It basically meanders along following Howard trying to make it in our world and start a Romance and mangement carrer of an all girl group. It only gets good at the end once they intorduce the dark overlords. Its just a strange property to make a movie out of. I don't see what the appeal was to kids or adults, and this was before comic book movies and the MCU.
It would have worked if it had Guardians effects and actual good jokes.

Nymphae

Banned

Yes kind of similar but not opening the gates of hell as much as offering a lift from hell to earth for one demon at a time lol.

It is a lame movie for sure, I really only enjoy the beginning on the Duck planet, and as you said the Dark Overlord sections. I don't think anyone felt like live action capeshit was possible yet. I've never read the comic, but Lucas described it in his pitch as "...being "very funny" and praising its elements of film noir and absurdism". He had some contractual obligation to deliver a live action film so he turned it into one, but I think the idea of a more adult focused absurdist film noir cartoon was really cool, it ended up not really being for kids or very entertaining for adults, but I think it could have been something really cool.

cryptoadam

Banned
Yes kind of similar but not opening the gates of hell as much as offering a lift from hell to earth for one demon at a time lol.

It is a lame movie for sure, I really only enjoy the beginning on the Duck planet, and as you said the Dark Overlord sections. I don't think anyone felt like live action capeshit was possible yet. I've never read the comic, but Lucas described it in his pitch as "...being "very funny" and praising its elements of film noir and absurdism". He had some contractual obligation to deliver a live action film so he turned it into one, but I think the idea of a more adult focused absurdist film noir cartoon was really cool, it ended up not really being for kids or very entertaining for adults, but I think it could have been something really cool.

I think his original idea was for it to be animated if I am not mistaken. Also if I am not wrong it almost bankrupted him and was one if not the major reason he sold PIXAR.

It was an idea ahead of its time. You could probably make it now and it work because the effects could be better and the idea of comic book movies and Marvel movies has a lot of cache with the general public. But back then we all knew Lucas as the Star Wars guy and this was NOT Star Wars. This was like Star Wars christmas special not Empire strikes back lol.

Ar¢tos

Modern church: "To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell.""
(basically = hell is not a real place)

Then it also says that a scientific experiment can open the gates of hell?
Make up your mind!

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
You may laugh, but whenever I hear about "miniature black holes" I feel uneasy. Humanity fucked up so many times in the movies, they may as well screw up in real life.

Last edited:

SantaC

The theory is black holes of that size would evaporate rather quickly.
'Theory'

Scientists dont know enough about Black holes. They feed on everything (even time) and grows bigger, thats it. Oh and that nothingness exist in them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom