• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular and well respected video games that you tried to like, but could not? AKA the "bad takes" topic that will end up triggering some people.

DelireMan7

The most recent I can think of is Octopath Traveler.

Combat is really good other than that I didn't like it much.
Art style is interesting but I got tired of it really quickly. Actually it killed any interest I could have for the future Triangle Strategy actually.
The fact that the game more or less forces you to recruited all the other characters to continue the story (you finish Act 1 of your first character at lvl 5-7 and next Act requirement is level 25 and on the other side of the map...) really pissed me off. Then you end up with 8 characters that barely interact with each other.

I drop it after 20 hours.

I could probably say that I don't like games like GTA or Red Dead Redemption but I never played them. But I have absolutely no interest in games with realistic settings/story.

McCheese

Metal Gear Solid.

I wasted so much money buying them each time due to hype and hoping they would click, I eventually learnt my lesson and stopped playing Kojima games. Stealth isn't fun, overly long cutscenes when you are just trying to reach a save-point are not fun. MGS games are not fun.

Boss Mog

Bloodborne, the horrible frame pacing makes the game constantly stutter and feel like you're playing at 15-20 fps. It was unplayable for me. If it gets a 60fps patch (with perfect frame-pacing) on PS5 or a remaster I'd gladly give it another shot.

Griffon

Nier Automata is absolute trash-tier scenario writing, it just drops a few basic shallow and random nods to philosophers so some people think it's smarter than it is.

I finished all the main endings waiting for it to get good, but it only gets dumber as it goes (the very beginning is intriguing enough, but it quickly devolves into a deluge of dumb anime AF clichés (and I usually like anime...)).

You Nier fans can take this as a volcano-hot take and I don't feel like debating basic story-telling. Don't @ me.

Last edited:

McCheese

Nier Automata is absolute trash-tier scenario writing, it just drops a few basic shallow and random nods to philosophers so some people think it's smarter than it is.

I finished all the main endings waiting for it to get good, but it only gets dumber as it goes (the very beginning is intriguing enough, but it quickly devolves into a deluge of dumb anime AF clichés (and I usually like anime...)).

You Nier fans can take this as a volcano-hot take and I don't feel like debating basic story-telling. Don't @ me.

Playing Nier for the plot Is the modern day reading playboy for the articles.

plip.plop

From games, I know, I know (Git Gud). but playing those games is akin to watching The Road, and waiting for the hero moment that never comes. these games are depressing.

Orta

Banned
3D Mario, 2D was infinitely more enjoyable
Halo, console centric shooter, meh
GTA, only liked 3 & VC, rest bored me to tears
Gran Turismo, zzzzzzzzz
Metal Gear Solid, pretentious wank

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Castlevania, Mega-Man, Metroid, and Pokemon franchises do nothing for me. Oddly I do enjoy some of their clones like Cave Story, Steel Sword Story, Darkwing Duck, and Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I tried both Silent Hill 1 & 2 and honestly I just couldn't get into them. Story wise the games are interesting but I was so bored while playing them. Finished the school section in 1 and the apartment section in 2 and had the same experience. Bored, confused and didn't find the gameplay very engaging. I do love Resident Evil so I thought Silent Hill would be up my alley but it's just not for me.

Tschumi

Skyrim is worse than Morrowind and Oblivion in every sense but controls. Its magic is derivative of bioshock. FusRoDah is the most cheesy thing in any game in the last 11 years (perhaps)

GTA 5, can't play the thing.

GTA 4 - can play about 2 hours of the thing.

PS2 GTA games = games as art.

Borderlands. Not one of those games got anywhere near capturing my imagination.

Rage. Rage is incredible (visually) I would say it is the last 90s shooter, in terms of visual priorities, and I love it for that, they could remake Grim Fandango in that engine and it would look perfect.

Online FPSs, they're just cheat-dominated rats nests, or else stacked by people who have memorized the maps and just wait for your head to pop past a window and take you out.

Cheating as a matter of course after the age of 12; you are a pointless waste of hardware with no measurable skill.

Vanilla and TBC WoW, anything after these two editions is a turd. Maybe the first half of WotLK but nothing after x-realm LFG.

Dragon Age Inquisition - I'm infuriated by how shallow everything but the story is - and the story only after the final DLC, if memory serves.

The ultimate economic city management sim exists, and it's called Anno 1800, but nobody knows it because it's on the Epic Games Store.

I fucking detest every Assassin's Creed game since AC2/Revelations, that includes Brotherhood, which was beyond cheesy. Ubisoft worlds are 40% quest content, 50% visuals, 9% filler bullshit, 1% immersion.

I've hated every Civ game since Civ 3, I actually loved Civ 4 but I don't remember a minute of it.

Fable was magical when it first came out but it has entirely lost that magic now because of its dated visuals, which break the immersion that they once gifted it.

Shogun Total War 2 is annoying as fuck because of how hard they work to force you to hurry.

Far Cry 2 iz da best. (refeerence to Ali-G)

I own a Series S. I don't like Gamepass as a concept because I don't want to plug my cyborg brain into a greasy, used public terminal, i'd rather just have a million TB SSD in my head for all my games.

I genuinely think the greater efficiency of PS5 means that it's exclusive games will, by the end of the generation, be the more graphically impressive and progressive.

I think Ray Tracing as a direct hardware effect will soon be about as relevant as minidiscs were after iPods came out. A software solution is the way to go, and it'll be RAM intensive i guess so the PS5's insane speed will suit it down to the ground.

GTAV - terrible characters.

The Last of Us - boring. Walking Sim while someone talks at you.

Uncharted 4 - boring. Walking Sim while someone talks at you

Red Dead Redemption 2 - quit around chapter 3

Breath of the Wild - finished this but should have dropped it around 10 hour mark
it's funny that ur avatar is a dragon age character when inquisition is tranquilisingly boring lol

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Grand Theft Auto IV and V
Red Dead Redemption (skipped 2)
Hollow Knight
Persona 1, 3, 4, 5
The Last of Us (skipped 2)
Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4 and the spinoff
The Witcher 2 and 3

Hated all of it. And Bloodborne is worse than Dark Souls.
All of this sounds pretty shit to me as well.

Any western third person action game, overall. Open worlds as well, most of them completely suck.

Breath of the Wild. I won't even say "the game is good, but not for me". I think BotW is actively a bad game, due mostly to annoying mechanics.

Death Stranding. Great facial capture, good music, literally everything else in the game is terrible. The worst quests I've ever seen. Horrendous dialogue with an overly pretentious story. Braindead gameplay that some people somehow think is amazing. One of the most boring open worlds of all time. If not for Kojima's name, I don't believe anyone would have ever praised this game.

RDR2. I loved RDR 2010, it's one of my favorite games ever. RDR2 is a game that has technical brilliance held down by awful controls and a massive overrealiance on "being a sim". Way too much time asked of the player to do menial tasks, rather than playing a game.

Hollow Knight. Tried playing this game 3 different times, and bounced off it hard every time. There's just so many better examples of games in this genre, I'll never understand why people put Hollow Knight up on a pedestal.

95mellow

Numerous Metroidvanias. I always end up feeling very frustrated when I get lost in those games, and it puts me off. I think the only one I ever finished was SOTN.

Kokoloko85

Mario Galaxy 1-2
Witcher 3
Skyrim - Fallout etc
GTA 5
Days Gone
Disco Elysium - Ill probably try this in the future again just really wasnt in the mood for infinite dialogue
( New )Wolfenstein 1-2

Last edited:
Top Bottom