• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular and well respected video games that you tried to like, but could not? AKA the "bad takes" topic that will end up triggering some people.

Topic. There is potential to trigger people with this topic because Talos forbid that we all think differently.
I'll provide my list.

Soulborne: Love the atmosphere, but too stressful even though I try to play slow and carefully.

GTA series. Not my cup of tea in general. Surprised more liberal, Era, 261, and twitter types don't love a game that lets you murder police officers.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Looks damn good, but feels like a slog.

The Last of Us part 2: Looks as good, if not better than Red Dead, but is even more of a slog and bad writing ruins the experience

Horizon Zero dawn. Amazing lighting and use of the Color red via sunsets and plants to hide in. Annoying ass protagonist that thinks she's clever, but sounds as juvenile as a Tumblr blog writer.

The Witcher: Wild hunt: even better lighting and colors than Horizon, and while the character does not shut up, he's less annoying than Aloy. Another vast open world to get bored in.

Breath of the Wild: (bad) Breath of the wild fanboys. Going to leave this one alone despite me loving the franchise.

Metal Gear Solid 5: Only thing I am "ashamed for my actions and deeds over" is putting so much time into this garbage before I finally stopped playing for good.

Overwatch: Where do I start? Not the game to play in order to relax with all the throwing, smurfs, and balance changes stupidity.

What is your own list and reasons?

Disco Elysium...

Isometric √
rpg with branching narrative √
unique and interesting art style √
superb voice acting √

Oh...its non stop internal monologues and a non sensical check system with a fairly preachy narrative. I wanted to love the game so much...but I just can't currently. I will revisit in the future and hopefully I like it.

TrueLegend

GTA, The Last of Us part II and Horizon and even Witcher(in some aspects) have terrible writing. 5/10 but they look and play great.

Edit: I forgot to say I feel the same about RDR2. They made it simulation in a way.

Last edited:

Ellery

Monster Hunter World.

I waited a long time for this game and I love the big weapons and everything. This game should click for me, but playing it I felt like I had a huge checklist at work and needed to work it down. It felt more like grinding/leveling in an MMO to me (to be fair it is a multiplayer game and has MMO like elements) and I just wasn't looking for that at that time.

It feels like a personal loss, because I genuinely wanted to love that game and put many hours into it, but it just didn't work out for me sadly.

Any final fantasy game and devil may cry 5. Fucking hate it! I tried to push through but just when I start getting a flow with combat, they switch character! For final fantasy, I could just never get into it.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Any final fantasy game and devil may cry 5. Fucking hate it! I tried to push through but just when I start getting a flow with combat, they switch character! For final fantasy, I could just never get into it.
I dont wanna insult you but I feel like insulting you. This hits like personal insult but I get how you could feel like that. But i am hoping its lovehate since you dont like character switch which I can agree with with some extent.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
And Bloodborne is worse than Dark Souls.
OIP.Uy5zQq9uK2yHHQJB-betQQHaFj

I tried the Witcher 3 a couple of times, just didn’t get hooked to it. Although watching my buddy play is fun, he’s very good at it. Another one is Breath of the Wild, although I’d say that’s because it’s not my kind of game, not that it’s bad or anything. Which is a shame, because I absolutely love OoT and Majoras Mask

TLOU 1
Tried it 2 times and couldnt't stand it more than 3 hours. I think the TV show will be fun, but it didn't work as a game for me.

Death Stranding.
"Played" like 8 hours where i rarely had to touch the contrller and still want my time back.

Soulslike games
Just feels like grinding and trial + error timesink

Hollow Knight. Just a directionless mess of a map, that’s not particularly cleverly designed.

I actually played Hollow Knight and ori back to back and thought ori was way better. Hollow Knight was just way too bloated. Too long. Too much backtracking. I was surprised at how good a reputation it has.

I dont wanna insult you but I feel like insulting you. This hits like personal insult but I get how you could feel like that. But i am hoping its lovehate since you dont like character switch which I can agree with with some extent.

To be clear, I'm talking more about dmc 5 with the character switching and not final fantasy. Dmc5 is a combat focused game! Switching the characters when you just getting the flow of the combat was annoying and made me drop the game.

Aesius

Wind Waker is the big one for me. I don't know why, but it never clicked for me. Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are two of my favorite games ever. But even though I owned Wind Waker at release, I never got more than maybe 2-3 hours into it. It has been at the forefront of my backlog for nearly two decades, but at this point, I've pretty much given up on ever playing through it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Wind Waker is the big one for me. I don't know why, but it never clicked for me. Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are two of my favorite games ever. But even though I owned Wind Waker at release, I never got more than maybe 2-3 hours into it. It has been at the forefront of my backlog for nearly two decades, but at this point, I've pretty much given up on ever playing through it.
Aside from OOT I struggle to replay previous 3D Zelda games. I’ve tried to replay Twilight Princess, MM and Windwaker multiple times but just can’t get further than 3 hours.

It’s funny, because I love 3D Zelda. I just don’t think the games have much replayability.

TrueLegend

I actually played Hollow Knight and ori back to back and thought ori was way better. Hollow Knight was just way too bloated. Too long. Too much backtracking. I was surprised at how good a reputation it has.

To be clear, I'm talking more about dmc 5 with the character switching and not final fantasy. Dmc5 is a combat focused game! Switching the characters when you just getting the flow of the combat was annoying and made me drop the game.
Yeah I get it. They should have gone to full on Dante. I love FF but I slaughter for DMC. I am not liking a lot that is being said in this thread but i like the honesty of people who are saying it. I am weird like that. I Love Dark Souls, FF, DMC5 but they are not for everybody.

Saber

Gold Member
Monster Hunter World - definitivelly not a good game. Its more like a drill simulator than a game. Everything need tobe doing like a daily routine. And don't get me into loots, basically a 30 minutes mission for a chance to get the loot you want, repetitive weapon sharpening for no particular reason, etc. Tried very hard to give all my chances to this game, but nope. Its not fun and its not worth my time.

Everspace - randomness of enemies, bad rolls, enemies that lock on you miles and miles away and stupid time-limit sections destroy any possibility of fun. And this without mention the overabuse of mines spam(which can be place exactly in the point you respawn, instantly killing you because you can manuver while entering).

Nier and Nier Automata - The gameplay is decent but Mr Taro has absolutely no qualms about wasting your time until you go insane.

REmake - I don't think there is a single game design decision I like here. I do love later Mikami games though.

Shadow of the Colossus - What a bore.

Souls - I do like a difficult game. But only if they don't make me repeat the exact same stuff (eg XCOM, Darkest Dungeon). Capra Demon FU.

Final Fantasy IV - Generic fantasy the game.

TrueLegend

Bloodborne. Not a bad game but not god's gift to gaming like some make it out to be.
In a world not fueled on hype and dictated by an Algorithm I can see running a blog called Stoic Gaming which had a user column saying I am not stoked about it featuring you for Bloodborne. The review will say, Great Game getting greater high on Fandom. Other sections being can you not put that in my vein. And a feature Unoptimized game of the month category to save ppl headache.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Hollow Knight. I enjoy metroidvanias, 2D platforming, etc. Just never could get into it. I think it's the artstyle and just how drab everything is. The map is absolutely massive and not fun to traverse either.

Don't really like any JRPG's that I can think of. Traditional ones atleast.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Playing Hollow Knight was one of those times. I rarely have such a strong distaste for popular games as I did with that. ..well except for Undertale which also was a bad experience (music was awesome tho). With that said, I don't doubt of course that others may find these great games, I'm just not compatible. And that's OK, Steam is good at giving refunds. Oh, and speaking of refunds: Disco Elysium..

Edit:
.. and Nier Automata
.. and Witcher 2 (loved #3)

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Hollow Knight. Just a directionless mess of a map, that’s not particularly cleverly designed.
Man you said it, I could not agree MORE with this.

Let's see, for me?

This is gonna look like platform bashing but it's definitely not.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Finished it but thought it was really tough to get through, simply because I was not having fun.

God of War - Got about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way and had to stop. Bored out of my mind.

Death Stranding - Looked great, but yeah, I'm good on this one.

Almost all of the recent Naughty Dog games - Absolutely amazing looking games that are not fun to play at all for me. The lady liked watching them though so I played through them.

Oh yeah, I thought RDR1 was awesome back in the 360 days, and couldn't be bothered to play more than a few hours of RDR2. Again, bored to tears.

Last edited:
Retro styled indie games that aren't named Bloodstained Ritual of the Night are hot, steaming trash and a burden to scroll past on Steam. Someone needs to make an extension to solve this problem. Like Ad Blocker but much, much for useful.

They even suck when in 3D some times, like Outer Wilds. Ain't nobody got time for that shit and ain't nobody beating it without following a YT guide.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Death Stranding.
"Played" like 8 hours where i rarely had to touch the contrller and still want my time back.
Similar here. I just got so fed up with it. When it was gameplay, it was terrible. Balancing while walking and rearranging inventory are not fun.

Soulslike games can fuck off as can any roguelike really.

Online shooters - I hate people so I hate online games.

Calverz

Horizon zero dawn
God of war 2018
Mgs 5 (played through what was left of the story to never return)
These games were so boring to me.

Aesius

Aside from OOT I struggle to replay previous 3D Zelda games. I’ve tried to replay Twilight Princess, MM and Windwaker multiple times but just can’t get further than 3 hours.

It’s funny, because I love 3D Zelda. I just don’t think the games have much replayability.
I think at a certain point you just kinda know what to expect and unless you’re a huge fan of the genre, you lose interest. That’s where the replayability thing comes in. Even though they are different games, it still sort of feels like you’re playing the same game again.

Recently I beat AC Origins and loved it. Then I beat AC Odyssey and enjoyed most of it but felt like it was a slog at times. I have ZERO interest in Valhalla because I know it’s just more of the same with no surprises or innovation.

DarkTom

Resident Evil 4. Tank controls are just beyond me.

The Witcher 3. I hate those games were you are not feeling your character, I remember having the same issue with Morrowind, Baldur's Gate and League of Legends.
I am so glad Mass Effect controls good, that is one WRPG I can enjoy.

I don't like Minecraft too. The game is boring.

Mister Wolf

Assassin's Creed franchise, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead franchise. Certain open world games just rub me the wrong way.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think at a certain point you just kinda know what to expect and unless you’re a huge fan of the genre, you lose interest. That’s where the replayability thing comes in. Even though they are different games, it still sort of feels like you’re playing the same game again.

Recently I beat AC Origins and loved it. Then I beat AC Odyssey and enjoyed most of it but felt like it was a slog at times. I have ZERO interest in Valhalla because I know it’s just more of the same with no surprises or innovation.
Agree completely. I haven’t played RDR2 as I’m tired of Rockstar’s gameplay and tropes. I’m getting tired of a lot of my old favourite devs because they are sticking to tried and trusted rather than experimenting.

I’ve started seeking out different experiences through AA and indie devs and by going out of my comfort zone I’ve really enjoyed some of it. Streets of Rage 4, A Plague Tale, Ori 1&2, Yooka Laylee. Different studios but great games.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
FROM Software games - tedious, don't like the art style

Uncharted, especially UC4 - don't like the gameplay or lack thereof and they're super over-rated, all style over substance

RDR 2 - bad gameplay, tedious and boring, I do like the horses though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GTA - tries so hard to be hip and I don't like driving in games

Gears 1 and Gears Judgement - they just never clicked with me and Judgement was too repetitious - I like the rest of the series though

Infamous 2nd Son - Absolutely hate the main characters and the story is stupid

arvfab

Banned
BotW - I really wanted to like it. I really didn't like it. The useless fights, the breaking weapons, the forgettable bosses (which felt like the same one) and the lack of proper dungeons... All reasons for me to skip BotW2 if they are still there.

Halo - Only tried the first one on PC. Stopped playing after having to shoot at some hopping, screaming, little aliens in the first level.

Fallout 3+4 - Man are these games boring. Doesn't help that they are buggy and look like shit, too. I'm so disappointed by them, that I still haven't started Skyrim yet.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Quantum Break and Control. I played each for less time than it took me to download them. God bless Game Pass, if I bought either one of these games I’d regret it to my last day. Looks like Remedy’s style just isn’t for me.

The Last of Us. See above. I wasn’t enjoying it much already, but when crafting got into the picture I just quit.

Dragon Quest XI. Slow, uneventful, repetitive.

The Witcher 3. I can see the appeal here, but after 2 hours exactly nothing of note had happened.

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice. The 5-minute long intro followed by what basically amounts to a walking sim with a few ret - I mean, not very interesting puzzles quickly killed any interest I could have.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Bloodborne, I think it is awful and I have played all the dark souls games. I didn’t like the enemies, or the level design, I quit it after a few hours.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Infamous 2nd Son - Absolutely hate the main characters and the story is stupid
I was going to list SS as my only other game beside Hollow Knight but I didn’t know if it was ‘popular’.

I loved InFamous 2 but yeah, SS was terrible IMO. Looked gorgeous but just bland everything else. I’ve tried to play through it three times throughout the PS4’s life but gave up after a few hours each time.

Thank god Sucker Punch moved on to GoT. Talented studio but SS and First Light was just a sequel and expansion too far for that series IMO.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Days Gone
Horizon Zero Dawn
I like these games... but it's a pleasure through pain lol

BigBooper

I hated Breath of the Wild, but that's been done to death.

Planescape Torment. I've played tons of CRPGs and loved most of them, but Planescape Torment has always been incredibly boring to me. It's treated like the holy grail of CRPG writing, but I thought it was so overwrought to be unenjoyable.

Super Mario World. I didn't have a SNES growing up, so undoubtedly I would feel somewhat differently if I had. I've played through SMW a few times now and I just don't really like it. I think Super Mario Bros. 3 has much more interesting worlds and powerups and is overall more fun to play. Plus, the music's better.

Retro styled indie games that aren't named Bloodstained Ritual of the Night are hot, steaming trash and a burden to scroll past on Steam. Someone needs to make an extension to solve this problem. Like Ad Blocker but much, much for useful.

They even suck when in 3D some times, like Outer Wilds. Ain't nobody got time for that shit and ain't nobody beating it without following a YT guide.
If you click your name in the top right -> Account details -> Preferences, it's possible to exclude tags from the store. It won't be perfect but you can remove at least some of them by adding "indie", "2D", or whatever your least liked genres are.

Top Bottom