• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular gaming youtuber Jon Tron is a sexist shit-head - #JonTronIsOverParty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
r80R0Lj.png

His Twitter is now full of all sorts of other 'quality' opinions and hot takes.

Really disappointing to see this type of bigoted thinking come from prominent members of the gaming community, again, and again, and again.

EDIT: Some more 'material' from the thread:

He's also got a pinned retweet defending neo-nazi Richard Spencer's views as a 'difference of opinion':

C8N84sQ.png

Kind of thought this was known since the Gamergate Controversy? But yeah, disappointing considering how large an audience he has.

Don't follow him on anything but YouTube. Not really missing out I see. Don't really intend on not following his videos though.

He's been more politically vocal in the past few months, and it's tremendously dissapointing. Did an interview with Breitbart, started falling on the more sympathetic side regarding the alt-right - typical signposts of somebody who has the same toxic beliefs, but is too spineless to actually be up front about them.

Still exceptionally talented, and hopefully it doesn't impact the work itself.

Cyclical

Yikes, Jon.

And let's not be so quick to use generic pejoratives to describe him, it does nothing to define why there's issues with his comments. That said, I hope he can broaden his perspective in the future.

luulubuu

r80R0Lj.png

His Twitter is now full of all sorts of other 'quality' opinions and hot takes.

Really disappointing to see this type of bigoted thinking come from prominent members of the gaming community, again, and again, and again.

I think this is more about Jon not being not as informed about what is equality and justice in this subject, I want to think that at least

I think he said something in the same lines during the Zoe Quinn controversy, I think

wbEMX

I liked his old stuff, didn't follow him that much after he upped the production. Didn't know he was THAT dumb.

enkaisu

Banned
He's said some spotty stuff in the past that I brushed off but this was the tipping point for me. Sad because I really like his content, but I cannot support someone so ignorant and disrespectful.

Anung

Un Rama
Him appearing on Breitbart for an interview should have tipped people off. Now Trump is in there's no point in keeping his toxic beliefs behind closed doors.

Lost a lot of respect for the man over the last year. I wouldn't even mind as much if his opinions were well argued or made some sort of sense but it's just lol triggered this and straw mans all over. Like he isn't even educated enough in any basic way to know what he's talking about.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Wherever women try to combat sexism, a sexually frustrated white man with a video games related YouTube channel will be there to fight back. This is the way of things.

Altazor

Is he one of those "i believe in meritocracy! Also, there's no inequality and everybody can become everything they want if only they pull up themselves by their bootstraps!" kinda people?

-shadow-

His videos are great, but if you don't like his personal opinion don't follow him outside of his work. It's pretty simple. Shame really, but can't be helped.

Eumi

Yeah, this has been known for a while.

I mean, he's really not that bad, but he's kinda a dick. The real problem is pushing a bunch of uninformed stuff to a large audience.

I don't keep up with this stuff at all like gamer gate and what not. Is he saying women shouldn't be supported just because they're women?

jono51

Banned
Not really surprised tbh. He is good friends with h3h3, and they are practically an alt-right brainwashing op on the nation's youth at this point.

This has pretty much been known since 2014. I wonder why the guy goes on full twitter-shitposting mode every time a protest happens, he said similar stuff back when people protested the election results.

Anyway there's no "jontron is over" party - the people that know about this and watch his videos will still watch his videos because they're (mostly) not connected to his twitter persona, and the people that don't want to follow him because of his beliefs have jumped ship a while ago.

Sephzilla

JonTron was kind of a shitbag dating back to his GameGrumps days. He's just becoming more and more open about his piece-of-shithood.

Nightbird

Wow, i didn't knew this...

I occasionally watch some of his stuff on Youtube, and think he's funny, but this now leaving a sour taste in my mouth

luulubuu

It is heavily rumored that Erin fired him from Gamegrumps cuz he was a sexist shithead. Erin and the rest of Gamegrumps crew are not sexist.

I thought that was because he moved to NY, but it makes some sense since he has been erasing videos with "lower quality" with also poor taste jokes, maybe is that.

I like the guy a lot, not a very fan of his movie related content and since he increased the production value, I hope this is just misinformation

Ewo

Yeah, honestly this tweet is the one that explains his views pretty well.
jontrongbqyd.png

I've listened to like 2 hours of him talking about politics and it's always about people being entitled or whiny, and he's always talking about how people call him racist all the time and how he isn't. "I've been to Iran and they're worse off there, so obviously everyone except me lacks perspective", basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom