• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 E3 gameplay video

StuBurns

Banned
I'd avoided anything but a little 30 secs clip the other day but I gave in, watched the new Gamersyde video, holy fuck. It really is sickeningly good.

Schrade

Blimblim said:
It took a few more days than anticipated, but here it is finally, full presentation of Portal 2, 720p resolution, with the best post processing I could think of :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_full_portal_2_demo-9600_en.html
Hey Blim, I know that you usually say that you generate the mp4 from the wmv but if you ever put up a video link to something and the original is the mp4 can you note it please?

I'd prefer to download the best looking version no matter which it is.

Thanks for your tough work (And Snoopers' too!)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
There you go :) Part 2 to 7 coming during the week.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_direct_feed_portal_2_video-9617_en.html

image_portal_2-13245-2070_0004.jpg

image_portal_2-13245-2070_0009.jpg

image_portal_2-13245-2070_0012.jpg

image_portal_2-13245-2070_0017.jpg

Blimblim

The Inside Track
StuBurns said:
Shall download thanks.

Quick question, some sites seem to have direct feed of the recent Ni no Kuni trailer, but they're all in crappy quality with all the compression, have you guys not got a version from Level-5 since the rip from the site?
Nope, I don't think I've ever managed to get a Japanese developer/publisher to reply to my emails, even negatively, so it's not looking likely ;)

StuBurns

Banned
Blimblim said:
Nope, I don't think I've ever managed to get a Japanese developer/publisher to reply to my emails, even negatively, so it's not looking likely ;)
Too bad, they're slackers for sure, thanks for the reply.

fuuu.. better be sharp when you start that game.. that gameplay trailer is pretty confusing allready :p

can't wait. portal is always in my top 3

Zomba13

Just read about the British personality sphere. Am I the only one that hates it and thinks it's very out of place and think it'll get annoying fast?
Maybe I just hate that accent (I do) but I don't like the idea of going around with a sphere doing all the talking, trying to be funny and all that. I mean Portal 1 got the humour right. It was pretty much all through glados (some through the turrents) and wasn't as blantet as this thing. This just seems like valve going 'THIS IS FUNNY. Laugh at it! He's British and charming and endearing. You will like him and make him into a meme!' rather than what they did with Portal and Glados and just let the funny naturally come out.

markot

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Just read about the British personality sphere. Am I the only one that hates it and thinks it's very out of place and think it'll get annoying fast?
Maybe I just hate that accent (I do) but I don't like the idea of going around with a sphere doing all the talking, trying to be funny and all that. I mean Portal 1 got the humour right. It was pretty much all through glados (some through the turrents) and wasn't as blantet as this thing. This just seems like valve going 'THIS IS FUNNY. Laugh at it! He's British and charming and endearing. You will like him and make him into a meme!' rather than what they did with Portal and Glados and just let the funny naturally come out.
yep!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can understand disliking the voice of Wheatley, however the very notion that he and the other personality spheres are "annoying" and "out of place" is outrageous.

Zomba13

JaseC said:
I can understand disliking the voice of Wheatley, however the very notion that he and the other personality spheres are "annoying" and "out of place" is outrageous.
I love the other spheres. I's just this one I don't like.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zomba13 said:
I love the other spheres. I's just this one I don't like.

Oh, right. It's important to note the voiceover isn't final. As of E3, Valve were still uncertain as to whether they'll keep Richard Lord (he works at Valve as an animator) in the role or find a replacement.

Well I liked it so I hope they keep him as the voice actor.

No need to worry about the spheres being over done though. If you watch all of the demos you will notice that a personality sphere only appears in the very beginning of the game and is not seen in any of the other footage. Maybe there will be more, but I think we can see that Portal 2 will be much like the first game and you will be enjoying a mostly solitary experience.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The graphical quality is excellent, looks almost like pre-rendered footage.

Anyway I like the spheres! Good marketing idea too to give the game a bit more of a face.

Zomba13

JaseC said:
Oh, right. It's important to note the voiceover isn't final. As of E3, Valve were still uncertain as to whether they'll keep Richard Lord (he works at Valve as an animator) in the role or find a replacement.
Ah that makes me feel a bit better. I thought it was the final voice and they'd leave it as is and everything.

I <3 Memes said:
No need to worry about the spheres being over done though. If you watch all of the demos you will notice that a personality sphere only appears in the very beginning of the game and is not seen in any of the other footage. Maybe there will be more, but I think we can see that Portal 2 will be much like the first game and you will be enjoying a mostly solitary experience.
I hope so. I could put up with it for he beginning of the game (if they go with that voice) but one of the things I loved about he first was that it was you and glados, alone (with the occasional turret). With glados watching you and taunting you, and making comments. I just don't like the idea of a smart arse personality sphere sidekick giving back talk.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Valve has said multiple times that the game is still very much about Chell and Glados.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If there is one company that has my blind faith it's Valve. I mean they fucking make games I didn't even know I wanted until they announce them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zomba13 said:
Ah that makes me feel a bit better. I thought it was the final voice and they'd leave it as is and everything.

I hope so. I could put up with it for he beginning of the game (if they go with that voice) but one of the things I loved about he first was that it was you and glados, alone (with the occasional turret). With glados watching you and taunting you, and making comments. I just don't like the idea of a smart arse personality sphere sidekick giving back talk.
Yeah, I read somewhere that that scene where GLaDOS wakes up is the last you see of Whetley for a while.

Schrade

So these videos they were showing, are they from a console of of some kind? I'm seeing some dithering effect in the plants that reminds me of the stuff in The Last Guardian or in Final Fantasy 13.

Aaron

Stallion Free said:
If there is one company that has my blind faith it's Valve. I mean they fucking make games I didn't even know I wanted until they announce them.
I wouldn't go that far, but with both Portal and Left 4 Dead series I think it's clear they understand story, characters, and atmosphere better than 99.9% of game developers out there. Portal was indeed a triumph, even though I thought the gameplay got repetitive too soon before the end. Left 4 Dead 2 is sublime in its story telling, and I expect Portal 2 will top that. I also expect them to knock it out of the park on pure gameplay, but that's less certain as I see it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Aaron said:
I wouldn't go that far, but with both Portal and Left 4 Dead series I think it's clear they understand story, characters, and atmosphere better than 99.9% of game developers out there. Portal was indeed a triumph, even though I thought the gameplay got repetitive too soon before the end. Left 4 Dead 2 is sublime in its story telling, and I expect Portal 2 will top that. I also expect them to knock it out of the park on pure gameplay, but that's less certain as I see it.
Half-Life 1 earned that faith from me lol.

EatChildren said:
I love the turret's "Thank's anyway..." when they walk away.
I can´t stop thinking how devious was "Aperture" for using this polite/cute voice for a machine whose the sole purpose is killing. :D

Just one question. Did any of you feel some sort of uneasiness during Portal? The feelings of helplessness, of being trapped forever, who knows how many levels, underground were always in the back of my mind. It was horrifying in a different way than, let´s say, Silent Hill.

MNC

I hope it's more story telling/dialogue, OR CO-OP GAMEPLAY. While it was awesome they showcased alot of the new gameplay elements, showing those elements off again would be a bummer since the previous gameplay videos were so big and descriptive already. I want some co-op gameplay or some witty dialogue!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm kind of done with Portal 2 media.

If there's one game I don't need more convincing for, it's this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
All I want from Portal 2 is the release date actually.

And... Their plans for PS3 Steamworks and their older titles.

ULTROS! said:
And... Their plans for PS3 Steamworks and their older titles.

They've said that it's possible that old Valve games (like L4D) could appear on the PS3 now but they're currently focused on the P2. So I doubt you're going to hear anything about the older gamers until P2 is out.

MNC

THEY CHANGED WHEATLEY'S VOICE.

FOR THE WORSE.

Edit: Okay that flashlight bit is fucking awesome. Love the new engine. Time to get a new laptop/PC because I want to enjoy the fullest out of the new source engine!

Wow, the part with GlaDOS and the new Wheatley voice.... It's less funnier now :(

Top Bottom