• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 E3 gameplay video

Blizzard

Banned
All I can say is, I'm probably going to play with the portal assist option on, if it's in the game. Some of those chained moves where they're flying through portals shooting cubes and blobs of paint through in front of them...is it really sad that I'm afraid the game is going to be TOO HARD for me? :lol

Valve, I want to hate you every time you delay a game. And then you show me this, and I realize that I couldn't stay mad at you if you tried.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That seriously looks insane. The upgraded graphics are holy shit worthy. That has to be source engine 2 or just a general major update to the current one.

The puzzles look too complex for my liking though :lol . But it's certainly a day 1 purchase on PC.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Amazing. I'm going to miss Chell, if only for the (psychotic)mother-daughter dynamic, but obviously there was no real way they could explain her back.

Sibylus

Banned
D2M15 said:
Amazing. I'm going to miss Chell, if only for the (psychotic)mother-daughter dynamic, but obviously there was no real way they could explain her back.
Hmm? Chell does return as far as we know.

Pikelet

All I can say is, I'm probably going to play with the portal assist option on, if it's in the game. Some of those chained moves where they're flying through portals shooting cubes and blobs of paint through in front of them...is it really sad that I'm afraid the game is going to be TOO HARD for me?

Im sure that it will be easier to play than this video makes it out to be. The more complex stuff is not going to be first thing in the game, this is valve!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I <3 Memes said:
Yup. In the G4 video Doug Lombari says that you are many lifetimes in the future but still playing as Chell.

Ah, I caught the many lifetimes bit, but not Chell, and then the co-op was talking about robots.

BUT HOW? Be careful what I wish for, I guess.

dark10x said:
Is that still Source engine?! If so, they've made HUGE strides. They are doing a lot of things that definitely didn't appear in previous Source engine games. Hopefully level streaming is one of the new features as the previous method of loading in all other Source games was super archaic and awful.

hope they go back and update all their old games to it also :lol

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Is this still coming out on PC and 360 in the fall? When I heard 2011 for PS3, a flag went up.

The G4 video is great. Dropping a portal in a puddle so that a globule is formed which falls through the portal, and then jumping in after the globule to fall on/use the affected surface? You have blown my mind. My mind has been blown!

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
chubigans said:
All versions were delayed into 2011 last week.

See what happens when Mega Threads are created!

Guess I can cancel my Gamestop pre-order since they didn't bother to email me of the change.

Sibylus

Banned
evlcookie said:
IGN videos worked fine here.

Fucking amazing. No way that shit is on the original source engine :lol
Well, the first Portal wasn't on the original engine, technically ;)

Love how they're using more dynamic lights and shadows, tis quite pleasing to the eye.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Botolf said:
Well, the first Portal wasn't on the original engine, technically ;)

Love how they're using more dynamic lights and shadows, tis quite pleasing to the eye.

Yea i know. It's always a modification of the source engine, well an updated version anyway.

But this just looks outstanding. It's probably just the general design and art direction that makes it look that err "next-geny" i guess.

Just amazing how awesome the source engine can be after all these years with updates.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's funny that this looks so much better and has much more demanding features (liquid physics) and yet it seems to run better on PS3 than Portal 1 did (at least I think they demoed that 2nd video on PS3 as the youtube title says so)

bathala

Banned
Holy shit this going to be the game.

nice to see Valve's newly acquired tech put to good use (that liquid thing)

love those turret voices

Cant wait to play this one, kind of suprised at how amazed people are with the updated source engine, L4D2 looked significantly better than L4D1 to me so I was expecting it to be at least on par if not better than that.

The source engine is pretty amazing to be as old as it is and still compete and in some ways look even better than newer engines for example I think the character models in L4D2 are hands down better than any character model I've seen from an UE3 game

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This looks AMAZING. I thought Portal was pretty overhyped, and didn't really explore the possibilities of the portal mechanics (don't get me wrong, it was still a really fun and creative game), but this looks to be oozing with so many new ideas. Now I believe Gabe Newell that it could be Valve's best game to date.

Sciz

I wonder how many people realize that Brink is also running on a six year old tech framework. Those PC engines from late last gen already had most of the tricks in place for current hardware; it isn't that crazy that with some modification they still compete just fine.

Feep

Banned
Random tidbits I gleaned from the day:

1) Yes, you are Chell. Confirmed.

2) Third and fourth portals (co-op) will be different colors besides orange and blue; they're experimenting now. I stated, "Red and Green, done, you're welcome."

3) Similar to the first game, Portal 2 will slowly and effortlessly attempt to guide the player through "tutorials", where single gameplay concepts are introduced and the player learns as they go. In the end, these concepts are combined to form complex puzzles.

4) A bit spoilery:
The first personality sphere is named "Wheatley", a British sphere that wants you to help it escape. The dialogue, as expected, was fantastic. The voice was actually done by a Valve employee named Charlie; normally this sort of internal work is temporary, but people's reactions today have been so positive they're considering just making him the official voice actor.

5) GLaDoS is angry at you for murdering her, but "wants to form a relationship with you". Unfortunately, the only way she knows how to do that is by testing you.

6) GLaDoS is constantly rebuilding the test facility around you. This was known, but the effect is very...eerie, and powerful. It's hard to explain. Like she's shifting reality around you.

7) It's technically the Source engine, but the guy commented how they're constantly refining the engine to keep it on the cutting edge. It's a constantly evolving thing.

8) In co-op, a player will be able to fire their portal at their friend's portal, and "take it over" (overwrite it?). Also, you'll be able to aim and press a button to indicate that you want the other player to place a portal right there.

9) Oh yeah, I spoke to Gabe for a few moments. He was curious how the rest of the Sony press conference went, since he couldn't see much from backstage. I told him, "It was what you would expect, I suppose,", and he had this wry grin, oh, Gabe, you sly PC-elitist dog, you. :lol :lol :lol

10) The team has no plans to implement 3-D, Move, or Kinect capabilities.

If I think of anything more, I'll update this post. :D

Edit: Already did

Re-edit: And more

Re-re-edit: Why not

Hyper-edit: Woo!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Feep said:
5) GLaDoS is angry at you for murdering her, but "wants to form a relationship with you". Unfortunately, the only way she knows how to do that is by testing you.
:lol

Feep said:
6) GLaDoS is constantly rebuilding the test facility around you. This was known, the effect is very...eerie, and powerful. It's hard to explain. Like she's shifting reality around you.
Sounds awesome.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Feep said:
Random tidbits I gleaned from the day:

8) In co-op, a player will be able to fire their portal at their friend's portal, and "take it over" (overwrite it?). Also, you'll be able to aim and press a button to indicate that you want the other player to place a portal right there.

Need a portal here
Put portal here

:lol @ Gabe. Did you ask him about EP3? I'm sure he would have loved that :lol

Baconmonk

Feep said:
7) It's technically the Source engine, but the guy commented how they're constantly refining the engine to keep it on the cutting edge. It's a constantly evolving thing.

I called bullshit back when they said Source would be "constantly updated" and was long-term back when Half-Life 2 was originally announced. So glad and amazed to see how wrong I was, the first IGN video showing the jungle scene blew me away.

Also any mention of control schemes? If this will truly be the best version, plus with Steamcloud support, keyboard and mouse seems likely, but what about Move? It makes sense for most (if not all) shooters to support the peripheral by option.

Otherwise, watching these videos shows me once again Valve is filled with some of my favorite people making entertainment today. I think after all that I'm shutting myself off from any more news on this game. What made the original Portal so amazing to me was knowing almost nothing of the game outside of the base mechanics.

Feep

Banned
Baconmonk said:
I called bullshit back when they said Source would be "constantly updated" and was long-term back when Half-Life 2 was originally announced. So glad and amazed to see how wrong I was, the first IGN video showing the jungle scene blew me away.

Also any mention of control schemes? If this will truly be the best version, plus with Steamcloud support, keyboard and mouse seems likely, but what about Move? It makes sense for most (if not all) shooters to support the peripheral by option.

Otherwise, watching these videos shows me once again Valve is filled with some of my favorite people making entertainment today. I think after all that I'm shutting myself off from any more news on this game. What made the original Portal so amazing to me was knowing almost nothing of the game outside of the base mechanics.
Yes. I'll update my post. Someone asked about both 3-D and Move, the guy immediately said, Nah, we're not really looking into that.

Regarding Gabe, nah. I didn't know his stance on things like that, and I didn't want to seem rude.

stldave2

I about shit myself when I heard GLaDoS during the Sony briefing. After hearing it was delayed, I thought the last place I'd learn more was during a Sony show.

My goodness.

The comedy. The graphics. The PUZZLES, ooh boy the puzzles. It all looks to be there in top form. The 3 IGN videos had me floored. Valve are just amazing game designers. I feel like its a similar situation to the evolution between Mario Galaxy 1 and 2; now that they have the basic design fleshed out, they can spend all of their time just being creative and making brilliant puzzles. The result looks spectacular, and since its Valve, you know they won't release until its polished to a sheen. My most anticipated game of E3, for sure.

Its probably nothing, but the Aperture slides in the videos said copyright 1998, the same year as the HL1 resonance cascade. Was it ever established what year Portal 1 took place in?

Also, CS:S for Mac next week!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
stldave2 said:
I about shit myself when I heard GLaDoS during the Sony briefing. After hearing it was delayed, I thought the last place I'd learn more was during a Sony show.
It was the best surprise of E3. I was like "wha...what...WHAT."

And that's primarily due to Gabe's public lashing of the PS3 since it first launch. That guy is the absolute last person I'd ever think would be there. Crazy stuff.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
"I can't do it while you're watching'

"Alright turn around now"

so fucking good.

it's like there's a Boosh character in Portal now.

claw7

Neo Member
'dude i think i just filled the cup'

loved the 3rd video, all that liquid madness. congrats. so excited about this:D

MNC

Holy fucking shit. Portal 2 is amazing.

IGN high quality E3 demo playthroughs/Showcase, Youtube'd:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

My impressions:

Engine is superb. Lighting is topnotch and the part where GlaDOS gets rebuilt and reattaches herself... That environment looks SO GOOD.

All the new concepts were showcased and EVERYTHING works through the portals. The possibilities are nigh endless. Simply amazing.

The part where the tiles were ripped off from the wall... Then REBUILT ALL THE WAY. Valve has fucking outdone themselves, I just get goosebumps thinking about it. Game of E3 for me.

Dialogue, narrative, EVERYTHING IS FUCKING AMAZING.

Hacking the password :lol

"A-A-A-A-A *EEEEEEEEEEH*
That's not it? Try this one.
A-A-A-A-B *EEEEEEEEEEH*"

Wallach

God fucking damn. I get the biggest shit eating grin watching the demo for this game. This is why I love video games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Never been more happy to eat my hat regarding the Source engine. Some of the stuff they're doing in this game is fantastic.

Top Bottom