• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 New DLC = Puzzel/Level editor/creator.

Press release:
Portal 2 Perpetual Testing Initiative Begins May 8

April 26, 2012 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the free Portal 2 DLC titled "Perpetual Testing Initiative" will be available for the PC and Mac on May 8th.

The "Perpetual Testing Initiative" allows players to easily create, share, and play Portal 2 puzzles. The Initiative comes with a simplified puzzle maker that allows that creation of mind-bending puzzles without ever leaving the game.
The puzzle maker can directly publish maps to the Steam Workshop where users can browse, vote on, and select to play them. Selected puzzles will automatically be downloaded and installed inside Portal 2.

Portal 2 holds a Metacritic score of 95% and has been awarded numerous Game of Year awards. It features expansive single and cooperative multiplayer game modes.

For more information on Portal 2 and its downloadable content, please visit http://www.thinkwithportals.com.

An other #FAIL for GTTV tonight......

Bear

Awesome. Any word on if this will be free or paid?

EDIT: Should have read the press release more closely.

Pretty cool. Hopefully it'll be possible to make the puzzle rooms entirely covered in moon paint.

I still feel that the problem solving in 2 was slightly too linear compared to its predecessor.

I own both PC and Xbox version's of this but im pretty disappointed by a few things.

PC only is pretty crappy.

Its not anything special, small story dlc or something would of been great.

Glass Rebel

Can't wait for some mind-bending puzzles the fanbase will come up with.

Awesome. Any word on if this will be free or paid?

EDIT: Should have read the press release more closely.

No, you should have read the name of the dev more closely.

Saty

Meh. I already played a lot of user created maps. I wish Valve would do their own SP chambers.

This may be a subject for another topic, but Valve could have done way more of Portal 2 'as a service' game. The way i thought about it, Portal 2 would have been a gameplay\mechanical playground in the vain TF2 is for business models and design. Valve would have released small SP maps for Portal 2, testing new mechanics and gameplay opportunities with the portal gun and according the players' response they could build meatier maps around the concept, keep it for Portal 3 or spin it off to a new game.

Basically, it's their play-testing philosophy taken a step ahead. It so easy to implement in Portal's world and story. 'Glados Prototype Protocols', 'Experimental Testing Initiative'. They wouldn't have the need to polish this ideas just make them function and see how fans react.

You get to play with zany mechanics and Valve can examine the idea's merits for the future w\o their regular process. No need for halting the company like they did after the Orange Box; they can 'dump' mechanics and ideas into Portal 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Make the levels downloadable on PS3

I suspect this will be the case eventually; more specifically, PC/Mac will get the editor and level browser, whilst the consoles will get just the latter (well, the PS3, anyway -- we all know how... hesitant MS is towards offering free content).

Edit: Ah, Steam Workshop integration. That's why this DLC isn't on the PS360. Still, nothing is stopping Valve from providing a bespoke level browser in the future.

Steamworks PS3 has turned out to be a big pile of nothing. I thought it was supposed to mean we'd get all DLC as soon as it was released on PC?

ArjanN

That's nice I guess, although I think the big part of the appeal of Valve games is how polished and smartly designed they are. User-created levels tend to be the opposite of that, or at least you have to sift through the bad stuff to find the good levels.

JaseC

Steamworks PS3 has turned out to be a big pile of nothing. I thought it was supposed to mean we'd get all DLC as soon as it was released on PC?

Nope. Valve still needs to pass the content through Sony's cert process, which is why cross-platform play was dropped from CS:GO (being an MP game, Valve didn't want patches on the PC side encountering arbitrary delays).

This. What was the point of Steamworks in the first bloody place then?

As far as Portal 2 is concerned, cross-platform play and a free SteamPlay copy of the game.

Seems great, love to see what the community does with it.

On a side note, why in the world do people use hashtags on forums and social media other than twitter?

Don't be hatin' on Dutch, man. The language and the person.

He probably looked too long at the Layton DS cases here in Holland :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Where are the screenshots? I couldn't find anything on the official website.

The shot they put out forever ago:

FvBWE.jpg

Angry Fork

Nope. Valve still needs to pass the content through Sony's cert process, which is why cross-platform play was dropped from CS:GO (being an MP game, Valve didn't want patches on the PC side encountering arbitrary delays).

Why can't Sony just trust Valve to know what they're doing? =( What does the certification process for consoles do?

Before Portal 2 came out Valve said PS3 owners would be able to download PC user created chambers and play them. But some difficulties with that arose and I could of sworn they said that was part of the reason for working on the in-game editor so PS3 users could simply make their own. Yet here we are and it's only coming to PC/Mac

Omikaru

What does the certification process for consoles do?
Satisfies the console manufacturer's paranoia that someone won't release a patch that accidentally destroys people's systems or brings the entire network crashing down.

Also, it's there so they can control what content goes on the system. They won't get any licensing bucks if the machine is open and anyone can release anything on it.

I don't really agree with the stance (I'm an open platform kind of guy), but that's the way it goes.

JaseC

I've just realised that the PR makes no mention of the SLE being in-game, however the previous PR did. My guess? It's now tied to Source SDK in some way, which means it's a no-go for consoles due to OS dependencies.

Edit: Derp, I can't read, haha. In my defence, it's 3AM. :p Although, the editor being in-game doesn't necessarily debunk the aforementioned theory. *shrug* I'm sure the DLC being PC/Mac-exclusive is bound to generate clarification soon enough.

Awesome, this'll make me download the Steam version I got with my PS3 copy.

Also, this reminds me that I somehow haven't played the first DLC yet.

soultron

Banned
Watching the trailer made me think that Valve was going to pay people to make levels.
I'm tired as fuck. Don't hate.

Elixist

Why can't Sony just trust Valve to know what they're doing? =( What does the certification process for consoles do?

This x100, one of the biggest multi shooters of the year and they drop an amazing feature because of red tape bullshit? I mean their gonna give the Dust devs full control over their network so why not Valve. *Baffled* '

OT this looks cool i really dig the interface if that is the interface the isometric view.

Top Bottom