• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 to feature user-created levels on all platforms

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yummy

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/24/portal-2-to-feature-two-end-credit-sequences-says-valve/

Faliszek also confirmed to NowGamer that the title would include user-made levels for all platforms. Including the usually-closed 360.

“The mod tools have to stay on the PC side just because there’s a bunch of dependencies that require the Windows platform,” he said.

“But the content that comes out is agnostic, and so we will be seeing that on all the platforms. Depending on the platform you’re on I should say, will depend on how we’re delivering it.”

He added that PS3 users would get said levels through Steamworks.

“There’s just a lot of value in engaging the community because they’re smart, they’re thinking of really cool things and we want to be able to have everyone share that.”

I actually tried some user-created levels in UT3 on PS3 and some of them lagged really bad because they featured some really crazy looking scenery + advanced physics.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
ashbash159 said:
Yet again, Valve amazes me.

Why isn't Valve everybody's favourite developer? Sure is mine!
Definitely my favorite PC dev. The support for example TF2 is unbelievable. Every 2-3 months new update with new class upgrades, new maps, new mods, new weapons, new hats, new achievements, bug fixes, balancing etc...

Such an amazing company.

So probably a few really hard standalone levels which are only fun for a really small audience of hardcore users? Most level design practice for the TF2 community has a decent emphasis on efficiency. No doubt running on the consoles will require a bit of extra effort and Valve will have to do some quality control but I don't think it will be a significant issue for the consoles. (unlike Valve's own maps which were difficult to run on console)

wwm0nkey

Sn4ke_911 said:
Definitely my favorite PC dev. The support for example TF2 is unbelievable.
Love their support but there is still a bug with the source engine that prevents me from looking up servers on TF2, L4D2 or CS:S. I even uninstalled steam and still no luck :(

Wow, this is great news! Seriously, Valve is really giving a complete package with Portal 2.

Hopefully 360 could eventually get steamworks, but having user-created levels in this is a good start for what is traditionally a more closed ecosystem.

Since this is a new thread i'll just post these here

NrdmH.jpg

I6Tsj.jpg

PRPX2.jpg

wa7Na.jpg

gnR7K.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/284988/news/portal-2-co-op-screenshots-land/

wwm0nkey

Iced_Eagle said:
Wow, this is great news! Seriously, Valve is really giving a complete package with Portal 2.

Hopefully 360 could eventually get steamworks, but having user-created levels in this is a good start for what is traditionally a more closed ecosystem.
Well after A LOT of people and im sure compiles bitching at them for how closed off it is I think they are considering changes.

WillyFive

ashbash159 said:
Yet again, Valve amazes me.

Why isn't Valve everybody's favourite developer? Sure is mine!

Well, although they make great games, in my opinion their awesome comes from the creation of Steam, and that gives them to right to have an endless amount of fans.

gdt

Wayyyy cool. This is what I was waiting for in terms of PS3 content announcements. Nice to see it on the 360 too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GOTY 2011 just keeps getting better and better.

So that means 360 will have a while before they get the content? seeing as pc usually always is first. and ps3 will be out the same time as pc.

Dynoro

DMPrince said:
So that means 360 will have a while before they get the content? seeing as pc usually always is first. and ps3 will be out the same time as pc.
Depends how they do it; if you just go to play on a server with a new map it might just download it in any of the three versions (like TF2 on PC)

That's really, really awesome, and something I've always wanted for Portal, but one thing confuses/worries me:

How will they be able to guarantee that the levels are beatable?

IMO they should either (A) use their bot AI to figure out whether they're beatable or not (and if it can do this, that's fuckin' amazing) or (B) force the level creator to successfully complete the level before being able to upload it and make it public.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
snoopeasystreet said:
Blizzard exists. Valve is a close second though.

Awesome news for whoever buys the game on consoles.
The choice is still clear on that one, unless you only have a 360 then it's still great to see shared creations.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Bookerman said:
Will there be an update to the Source engine with this? or is the engine the same as the orange box update?

Its a new revision of Source, which seems to feature real time shadows, if the videos are anything to go by.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The Bookerman said:
Will there be an update to the Source engine with this? or is the engine the same as the orange box update?

New games always come with a new version of Source.

edit: beaten

LiquidMetal14

Teetris said:
Was only a matter of time until they caved in
This will likely be something similar to the user creation based games on 360. I want to see how it will be implemented.

LiquidMetal14 said:
This will likely be something similar to the user creation based games on 360. I want to see how it will be implemented.

IMO it will be DLC packs of hand picked levels (on 360). On the PS3, I'd wager they'll still be hand picked but the releases won't be staggered.

Firewire

Banned
So it will be like UT3, Valve will have to sign off on mod levels that come to the 360 as free DLC. The only downside with this setup is that 360 users will get content latter than PC/PS3 users and only what Valve decides to bring over?

LiquidMetal14

gregor7777 said:
IMO it will be DLC packs of hand picked levels (on 360). On the PS3, I'd wager they'll still be hand picked but the releases won't be staggered.
Still a good thing if it's going to be this way. PC and PS3 platforms sharing the same sharing structure is very nice.

EatChildren said:
Its a new revision of Source, which seems to feature real time shadows, if the videos are anything to go by.

I hope they work on their anim tree, cause adding animations through QC files is getting old fast. UE 3.0 makes this stuff a hole lot easier.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
gregor7777 said:
Yeah, cautiously optimistic but more often than not news of this sort has resulted in something similar to what you suggest after all the hype and PR have died down.

So yeah not excited until we get details of how it works on 360. Also what's stopping Valve from at least linking your 360 version to your steam profile (not steamworks!) a-la Ubisoft and EA in-game account linking systems?

Pennybags

badcrumble said:
(B) force the level creator to successfully complete the level before being able to upload it and make it public

That by itself won't cut it. The creator would have a substantially easier time completing the map for obvious reasons.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Still a good thing if it's going to be this way. PC and PS3 platforms sharing the same sharing structure is very nice.

Definitely not a bad thing no matter what platform you're on.

The 360 still gets new user created content, just later and probably a bit less. The PS3 gets the content much faster, and probably after it's been playtested on the PC for a while.

epmode

Pennybags said:
That by itself won't cut it. The creator would have a substantially easier time completing the map for obvious reasons.
I'm not sure what you're worried about. If it can be beaten, no matter how crazy a solution, it's fair game.

There's no chance that a terrible user created level will show up on PS3 or 360 since Valve will almost certainly be hand-picking them.

edit: And if it's truly a system that permits a user to load any level, I really don't understand the complaint. The best stuff floats to the top by word of mouth, same as on PC.

Firewire

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Definitely not a bad thing no matter what platform you're on.

The 360 still gets new user created content, just later and probably a bit less. The PS3 gets the content much faster, and probably after it's been playtested on the PC for a while.

I doubt that, I think Valve would follow the route Epic did with UT3, and in the tools have the option to publish to the PS3 for the modder, it just seems like an easier solution for them and it worked very well with UT3.

But we'll have to wait and see, obviously.

Top Bottom