• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal updated mysteriously, internet detectives assemble-read OP 1st if you have ?'s

Jmac71

randomwab said:
I'm getting the feeling that this is hinting that Glados backed itself up before it borked up. SHE'S STILL ALIVE, FOLKS!

OF course she is, she told us in the song at the end :D

Seriously though this is great.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dance In My Blood said:
It's just a basic sentence that is well known for containing every letter of the alphabet.

Wait what .. *mind blown*

This is very cool of valve. I now can't wait for GDC, i'm hyping myself up for some sweet announcements from them.

Edit: Maybe co-op portal going by that party submission? :D

Combine

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
Didn't someone say Episode 2 updated as well? Anything on that yet?
When my Steam updated I definitely saw Episode 2 updating alongside Portal. Don't know what that means yet though. Possibly it could have just been files that are shared between the applications.

dc`

Neo Member
Mikey Jr. said:
You know what, this is probably just a portal prequel.
It better not be. They need to stop dicking the fuck around and release Episode 3 already aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

just found the first new radio and took it through the field.. wow, that was kinda interesting. This really IS exciting; a kind of meta event started off by a cryptic update to old software. This is viral done really really right. Valve has always shown an almost scary ability to predict how their target market will react to their stuff. I suppose it's their way of making up for the large amount of time since their last non-zombie release. Fucking kudos to these people.

Also, for those who think Valve is trolling, while I wouldn't rule out any bad possibility due to life being as shitty as it is, I don't think they'd be doing this unless they had something seriously ready to go- and soon. Anyone who owns Portal should fire it up and hop on board the hype train.

MGHA

Another thing on the steam forums is that theres a missing code. And Alyx stole a list of codes from the citadel right?

Also:

One of the codes in the morse is 4 8 15 16 23 42. That number appeared in many computer screens in Episode 2.

grkazan12

66awbkn.gif

Cannot compute this level of hype.

reetva

Banned
Mendelevium said:
Another thing on the steam forums is that theres a missing code. And Alyx stole a list of codes from the citadel right?
Aw, shit. Someone find out if the missing code is ever mentioned. Gawd, Valve is the best. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh man. I'm almost embarrassed by how excited this is making me.

Combine said:
When my Steam updated I definitely saw Episode 2 updating alongside Portal. Don't know what that means yet though. Possibly it could have just been files that are shared between the applications.
Mendelevium said:

related, maybe?
maybe not?

Mendelevium said:

Also:

One of the codes in the morse is 4 8 15 16 23 42. That number appeared in many computer screens in Episode 2.

those codes are from the tv series lost

ElNarez

Banned
Since I haven't seen it in the thread, here's what the update did. There are now 26 radios scattered throughout the test rooms. When you find a radio, you have to find the spot in the room where what it's playing changes from the "Still Alive" cover to something else. When you do that, the red dot on the radio turns green and you can carry on.

13/26, and I have absolutely no idea on how to get radio #14. Any help guys ?

ElNarez said:
Since I haven't seen it in the thread, here's what the update did. There are now 26 radios scattered throughout the test rooms. When you find a radio, you have to find the spot in the room where what it's playing changes from the "Still Alive" cover to something else. When you do that, the red dot on the radio turns green and you can carry on.

13/26, and I have absolutely no idea on how to get radio #14. Any help guys ?

I'm juuuust now getting started on finding them, but I'm definitely going to get them all and see if achievement does anything special.

To recap so far, the first radio is in the room you start in, just take to right up under the observation station until you get the achieve, and the second is right on top of the camera to your right before the first drop but you have to grab it BEFORE you fall. I got the achievement somewhere near the exit door

Mendelevium said:

Also:

O-o
8-4 = 4
15-8 = 7
16-15 = 1
23-16 = 7

4+7+1+7 = 19

42-32 = 19

Can't be a coincidence, do you remember what that means?

Maybe they'll finally unravel the dinosaur and tanker scenes reported to be present in and only in the 1.0 version of the original half life. Subsequent boxed copies were pre-patched. Apparently in the alternate version the G-Man's briefcase contained a nuclear device and the player was asked to choooose.

I could swear I read this in some gaming mag in late 1998.

It comes full circle...

ElNarez

Banned
Should've taken pictures. The first ones are really easy to get, but then you have to do the right thing at exactly the right spot in order to get the radio and it gets quite complicated quite fast.

Metiphis

I really hope Gordon Freeman runs into the main character from Portal in Episode 3 and they really give her a voice and flesh her out like they did with Alyx.

reetva

Banned
Metiphis said:
I really hope Gordon Freeman runs into the main character from Portal in Episode 3 and they really give her a voice and flesh her out like they did with Alyx.
If there's someone who doesn't want this, I don't want to know them.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Lionel Mandrake said:
14a99n4.jpg

Alright, we need to isolate that frequency and examine it across multiple wavelengths. We need another team to hack the mainframe and scan the diagnostics for any anomalies within the source or any unusual IPs.

enhance! ENHANCE!

Top Bottom